Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Black Cast Film/ Nina Mae McKinmey

Guest lamarr, hedy

Guest lamarr, hedy

Hello Again I promise you this is my last post. But I was wondering has anyone ever heard of Nina Mae McKinney? She was Hollywood's first black star, the star of great musical "Hallelujah". I'm a relative of her's and I'm researching her life, her films are very hard to find, I know TCM shows them sometimes, but it might be in a year's time. I know some people here are film collectors and know a lot about films. I'm looking for a film she starred in called "Gang Smashers" a.k.a "Gun Moll" 1938 starring Mantan Moreland, Monte Hawley, and Nina Mae McKinney, it wasn't made in Hollywood, it was one of those all-black cast films made by Independent Black Studios. Sometimes TCM show films like that. I know its out there, I've known some places that have it, but they wouldn't make me a copy. Can anyone here refer me to a place, I would be so grateful. Please email me at MsLadySoul@aol.com If you have any info.

Hello Hedy. Sometime back there was a discussion on Nina Mae McKinney! I have seen her in SAFE IN HELL, a 1931 movie that starred Dorothy MacKaill, but don't let that fool you--Nina Mae stole the show! She appears as "Leonie," the owner of a hotel, and got to sing one hot sultry number! TCM has shown this movie a couple of times, and if you haven't seen it, you might try requesting it.

Guest lamarr, hedy

Hey Alix, You said there was a discussion on Nina Mae McKinney here? Is the discussion still up? Can I find it? I would like to read what people have to say.

Hedy, I've looked, and I can't remember where that discussion is! I believe it might have been under "pre-Code" or "sexiest," or something like that. Jeryson, anyone else, do you remember where we talked about Nina Mae? TCM's "search" feature does not work, because I tried it!

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Hey, Hedy, I tried Google-searching the boards, but it didn't work. However, I was able to find some TCM articles that are no longer up but are cached in Google. Click this link and then click on "Cached" at the bottom of each entry. I did some research on Gun Moll, and I don't think it's been out on home video. It looks like it was produced independently. Ryko Distribution does carry The Duke Is Tops, from the same production company. Of course, that was the movie that made Lena Horne a star, and she's still well-known, so there's probably more demand for it, but it is on a DVD with another movie. Ryko is primarily a music label, and their distribution arm may be carrying that DVD on behalf of another company. It's kind of hard to tell in Amazon listings. But you could try contacting them for some leads on whether further releases are planned. Another possibil is Gist, a company that provides the TV listings in IMDB. If you sign up, you may be able to have them notify you if the film is shown. Of course, it may be on some channel you don't get, but it's a start. Have you tried searching for sites on black film in general? I seem to remember visiting a site on Oscar Micheaux (sp?) And TCM is bound to have some programming of black films during Black History Month (if you can wait that long). You also might try Movies Unlimited, the company that handles TCM's shopping stuff. I've found stuff there that I couldn't find at Amazon. Hope this helps.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

The links in the Time article are to books on blacks in film. But I found something else: the University of Chicago has a whole site devoted to black film research. This page has a list of distributors, some of whom sell videos. I found it by Googling the phrase, "race films" in quotes. You might look through some of those results for other info. Of course you have to pick through entries about National Velvet and Frankenheimer's Grand Prix. haha