Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Employee Picks vs. viewers suggestions

ElCid

For those who get Now Playing, the Employee Picks section is very interesting.

Now I know why so many mediocre movies show up if this is the method the programmers are using.

How about showing movies suggested by the viewers?

It also results in some movies being shown in March that were just shown in February. Example: Kings Row is on twice in March and was just on.

What I believe to be a mistake by the programmers is when they string together a full day of films with the same star. I'm sure even Buster Keaton fans don't want to watch him for 8 hours straight.

Absolute random picks with no connecting theme; that's what I like. More obscure gems that have never been aired...my idea of a perfect day or night.

Seems like some -- "Mr. Blandings Builds His..." -- gets shown too often.

> {quote:title=TheCid wrote:}{quote}

> It also results in some movies being shown in March that were just shown in February. Example: Kings Row is on twice in March and was just on.

And yet again, third time today!, you have made this error. Kings Row is not on in February. Check your NP guides and you will see that it is on March 2nd as part of 31 Days of Oscar. Then the programmer did the rest of March schedule separately, so in fact it is a different programmed month.

Oh, bother, before you create yet another thread today about it (I mark it so far as two threads you created today about it plus posting the same misinformation in another thread today) ,just go to this post to see where you are wrong:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=157994&tstart=0

You don't seem to realize that showing movies more than once over a short time period has a very good benefit. Many TCM posters has complained about missing a part of a movie due to timing conflicts in programming when recording from DVR's. Showing the movie again gives one a chance to record the whole movie.

There has been times I wished TCM would had repeated a movie I missed. :(

Compared to other cable stations, TCM barely has repeats. Have you ever looked at HBO or Showtime, or AMC (now or way back when), Disney or Fox Movie Channel? They show the same stuff a million times...thats the cable norm...TCM seems like the exception.

I dunno. There were some good employee picks...*the last of sheila*, *female*, *elevator to the gallows*, *safe in hell*, *caught*. None of these are mediocre. Just wish there had been some more obscure "discoveries" recommended.

Why are we always arguing over this stuff? At least once a week, someone posts a new thread about how they're disappointed in TCM - why doesn't it show more pre-1960 films, why does it show repeats, too many Bowery Boys, not enough Bowery Boys, Robert Osborne is an ignoramous, what about HD, why can't TCM show more films from Paramount/Universal, whatever...on and on.

Sure, everyone has the right to express a complaint or a concern over anything, certainly over a television station they like to watch, and certainly on these forums. I just wonder why they want to waste their time doing it. TCM not showing something you like, repeating something you've already seen earlier this month? Get over it - take a walk. Literally. Read a book. Do some laundry. I love TCM too, but there are other things in life to pay attention to, and there are undoubtedly other things in life that are more worthy of complaining about.

It's just so predictable -deal with it, folks. (now I suppose I'll get accused of being harsh, impolite, or unsympathetic to others' TCM concerns. Or a TCM "Apologist". A thousand apologies and smiley faces in advance :) etc...

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 10, 2011 1:57 PM

*Compared to other cable stations, TCM barely has repeats. Have you ever looked at HBO or Showtime, or AMC (now or way back when), Disney or Fox Movie Channel? They show the same stuff a million times...thats the cable norm...TCM seems like the exception.*

I have Fox Movie Channel as a free preview this month. While I'm glad to get some of their movies, PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET for one, they repeat all the time. Compared to any other station, TCM seldom repeats.

So that is why Caught is on the schedule for March. I don't know who Lee Tsiantis is but I am very thankful to him/her.

The employee picks range from the well known to the more obscure. It was very similar with the Critics picks a few months ago. Overall I think it is a good range of films.

I feel so strongly about this that I'm going to (probably) break some kind of rule here and post it all over again. Doesn't anyone agree with me? Here's my take on all the tcm complaints:

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Why are we always arguing over this stuff? At least once a week, someone posts a new thread about how they're disappointed in TCM - why doesn't it show more pre-1960 films, why does it show repeats, too many Bowery Boys, not enough Bowery Boys, Robert Osborne is an ignoramous, what about HD, why can't TCM show more films from Paramount/Universal, whatever...on and on.

>

> Sure, everyone has the right to express a complaint or a concern over anything, certainly over a television station they like to watch, and certainly on these forums. I just wonder why they want to waste their time doing it. TCM not showing something you like, repeating something you've already seen earlier this month? Get over it - take a walk. Literally. Read a book. Do some laundry. I love TCM too, but there are other things in life to pay attention to, and there are undoubtedly other things in life that are more worthy of complaining about.

>

> It's just so predictable -deal with it, folks. (now I suppose I'll get accused of being harsh, impolite, or unsympathetic to others' TCM concerns. Or a TCM "Apologist". A thousand apologies and smiley faces in advance :) etc...

>

> Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 10, 2011 1:57 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 10, 2011 6:51 PM

Sorry to re-post that in that way, but I really want to know if anyone else feels the same way.

(chose your preferred emoticom: ;):(:) )

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> *Compared to other cable stations, TCM barely has repeats. Have you ever looked at HBO or Showtime, or AMC (now or way back when), Disney or Fox Movie Channel? They show the same stuff a million times...thats the cable norm...TCM seems like the exception.*

ChorusGirl said that.

*"Why are we always arguing over this stuff?"* - MissWonderly

Because some "members" have a bone to pick with TCM, have a chip on their shoulder or are interested only in manufacturing controversy in these Forums due to a sense of boredom in their off-line lives. Simple as that.

I agree with your observations on the situation.

And there is no shame in being an "apologist."

Kyle In Hollywood

Misswonderly, I got your back, girl.

I'm thinking some of these posters with the pitchforks and torches have got to be about 21 years old...do they not remember the days of scouring TV Guide in hopes that some station would throw us a bone and play just ONE b/w movie? (and when they did, it was usually edited, and played at 1am).

Who cares if TCM plays *Kings Row* twice in a month? It helps make up for the days when it used to be shown maybe once every 10 years, if you were lucky enough to have a local channel that showed the Warner Bros library. And when it came on vhs, you had to plunk down $20 just to SEE it...cuz sure as heck the local Blockbuster didn't have a copy.

Actually, I think some healthy debate about whats played on TCM is a very good thing...(and its not new...back in the 70s in NYC everyone used to complain about what movies the revival theaters showed...and they STILL complain about the wonderful Film Forum!).

But it's some of these wild conspiracy theories about TCM programming that do make my eyes roll back in my head. They need to tone it down a notch.

I agree, healthy debate is always a good thing. I don't want to hush anybody up. And yeah, the criticisms of TCM programming do make me wonder if these people remember a time when tcm did not exist and you had to comb the tv guide, as you say, to find something good .

Actually, I only write in a complimentary way about TCM because I'm hoping to win a date with BEn Mankiewicz. I don't know what's the matter with these TCM officials, I've been clamouring for this for months. I'm a loyal fan of both TCM and Ben, and I've promised I'll dress up for the occasion. So far, no response. Now that's something to complain about ! ;)

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

>

> I have Fox Movie Channel as a free preview this month. While I'm glad to get some of their movies, PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET for one, they repeat all the time. Compared to any other station, TCM seldom repeats.

I don?t pay for the Fox channel, so I don?t care how often they repeat movies on the Fox channel. I don?t watch AMC, so I don?t care how often they repeat movies.

But I pay extra for TCM as a premium channel, and I watch it all the time.

?An American in Paris? is on TCM in prime time again tonight and several times a year. It?s a total waste in prime time.

People who like it a lot will already have a DVD of it.

Did you see Franchot Tone in ?The Unguarded Hour? (1936)? It was shown at 5 AM my time, last month, and I?ve never seen it shown on TCM before. I'm asleep at 5 AM. I made a lucky choice to record it. It?s a fine murder mystery with a lot of good and unusual stuff in it.

Lots of people here would like to see these kinds of old films in prime time, and not see ?An American in Paris? in prime time several times a year.

Some of the best old classic films are shown in the middle of the night, when no one is awake, and a lot of people don?t have any way to record them, so they never get to see them, yet ?An American in Paris? is still shown over and over and over again in prime time.

While one man's "mediocre" is another man's "masterpiece", debating the quality of the Staffer's selections is not what I am concerned with. I don't want the premise of the OP to go unanswered.

Lest it gets buried in other commentary, TCM is always looking at the "Suggest A Movie" pages and these Forums looking for inspiration and recommendations. By turning over certain evenings in March to TCM Staffers, that doesn't mean that viewers requests are being ignored to make it happen. Such viewer feedback is taken into account regularly by the programming department.

Whether it is just serendipity or not, I don't know. But last fall some of us recommended TCM show "Tarzan" features once the cycle of "Bowery Boys" films runs its course. And Tarzan will begin showing up on Saturday mornings in the Spring. And a serial returns to the morning line-ups too after having been requested here in the recent past.

To paraphrase the old ad tagline, "When TCM viewers talk, the staffers listen." But this March, we can turn the tables on that. We can listen as these knowledgeable and talented Staffers talk.

Kyle In Hollywood

I don't think the employee picks are mediocre. Some might be common TCM fare but seeing Caught on the schedule alone is worthwhile, not to mention some of the other films that aren't commonly seen on TV.

TCM does listen to its viewers: In May, TCM is going to show a rare film called Mother by Mikio Naruse (one of the greatest Japanese filmmakers) which isn't available on DVD in the English speaking world and is difficult to find on VHS today at a reasonable price (the only copy I've seen is going for $100.00 right now.) I've been plugging for Naruse on TCM for a while, I'm quite pleased to see a film so difficult to obtain scheduled.

*sewannie wrote:*

*Compared to other cable stations, TCM barely has repeats. Have you ever looked at HBO or Showtime, or AMC (now or way back when), Disney or Fox Movie Channel? They show the same stuff a million times...thats the cable norm...TCM seems like the exception.*

*ChorusGirl said that.*

I know she did. I copied it so I could respond since I haven't been able to figure out how to quote on this board.