Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"It's Always Fair Weather"

Daria

If you like Gene kelly don't miss this underrated 1955 musical. It features fantastic numbers with Dan Daily and Michael Kidd........ But what is noteable about the film is the powerful routines by the women. The lovely Cyd Charisse takes on a gym full of boxers in "Baby You Knock Me Out".

Image: !

http://legs.free.fr/English/affichef.php3?image=knockout/post.gif!

Dolores Gray plays a lethal temptress in "Thanks A Lot But No Thanks".

2elqa2g.jpg

33ljf4m.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have mixed feelings about It's Always Fair Weather. I think it's the title that gets me because the story itself is very downbeat and more serious than your usual fluff from MGM. Kelly's roller skating number is a tour de force as is Dolores Gray's Thanks A Lot But No Thanks and Cyd Charisse's Baby You Knock Me Out. I also love the 'trash can' dance.

I think the problem I have is that the songs and dances seem to belong to that lighter-than-air vintage of MGM froth while the story is decidedly more Dore Schary noir than vintage L.B. Mayer glam-bam. The two styles seem in constant conflict with one another, like a boxing match between two genres and neither wins in the end.

I do have to admit that there's so much to admire, but as a whole the film really doesn't work for me. Sorry.

NZ. Thanks for your comments.

I agree that the title does little for me as well. Maybe the weather is "fair" for the three friends but fair is only the best that they will get. I think the negative tone was quite unique for a Hollywood musical. It was able to predict the coercive nature of television media that is so prevalent these days. All the musical numbers are great and exuberant. Perhaps this is so in order to balance the somber narrative. The rollerskating number and "Baby You Knock Me Out" are amazing. The "garbage can lid dance" seems to be very current and is reminiscent of "Stomp". Dolores Gray's "Thanks A Lot But No Thanks" was counter-culture and corrupt for the time and is probably somewhat subversive even today. Funny? Yes........but not very fluffy.

Even though the movie has weaknessess, I think it's a pretty good piece of work and way ahead of it's time.

• 4 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Daria wrote:}{quote}

> NZ. Thanks for your comments.

>

> I agree that the title does little for me as well. Maybe the weather is "fair" for the three friends but fair is only the best that they will get..... Even though the movie has weaknessess, I think it's a pretty good piece of work and way ahead of its time.

>

You probably already know this, but the movie's title is derived from an old song's lyrics "It's always fair weather when good friends get together..."

And I do like the movie a lot, too.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived