Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[B]TCM's official definition of "classic"[/B]

There is such a thing as Classic Literature (which is different from the Greek & Roman Classics). I have usually seen it used for Literature from the 19th Century and prior. However there is also the term Modern Classics for Literature.

There is something called Classical Hollywood Cinema. However TCM has made it clear from their mission statement this is not the only type of film they plan to show and this is true from the beginning of channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Hollywood_cinema

However I still feel the general definition of Classic "exemplary of its kind" is way too general because anything can be a Classic depending on an individual's taste. But that's just me.

edit: I also think there is a difference between calling something a classic and talking about Classic Film.

Edited by: Kinokima on Feb 13, 2011 11:07 AM

This is is a futile argument in semantics. All of the definitions of the English word "classic" (except referring to ancient Greek/Roman art and culture) are subjective. "Subjective," meaning "particular to a given person," "existing only in the mind."

That's my English lesson for the day :). It's one of those "chicken or egg" debates that will go on forever. How could TCM possibly have an "official" definition of the word? One man's classic may be boring or even offensive to another. I don't care for Science Fiction, but it's a well-accepted movie genre. From time to time TCM offers "classic" Science Fiction. I don't like it, but others do. After all, you can't please all of the people all of the time!

I must give TCM a lot of credit. Scheduling a variety of films to appeal to every taste, 24/7/365 must be a daunting task. Think of the thousands of movies from all over the world made in the last 100 years. Think of how many horrible movies have been made; downright bombs that TCM would never air. Yes, TCM does a great job. My only problem is, often it seems that the really good movies I want to see are on in the middle of the night. But that's just my view, my idea of "classic" may be different than others.

I'm sorry if I sounded arrogant bringing up my 109 year old friend, but I was only using her as an example that everyone has a different perspective about what a classic is, and one reason is purely based on "time on the planet." That's all.

Also, I regret now bringing up "The Hunt for Red October." It was just an example of what I consider to be a fantastic movie from 1990, not a movie I necessarily can't wait for TCM to show. It was just a title I threw out there. Didn't think that title would be attacked. Next time I'll use one that hardly ever gets shown on any channels, like "Le Chateau de Ma Mere."

>

> Then TCM can change its name to "The All-Movie Channel".

I do not think that will be necessary Fred. According to my count the next two months should allow you to be able to once again venture into............

*"FRED'S COMFORT ZONE".*

In March the following films will be shown:

1920s: 9

1930s: 111

1940s: 91

1950s: 71

1960s: 59

1970s: 15

1980s: 10

In April the following films will be shown:

1910s: 4

1920s: 15

1930s: 106

1940s: 84

1950s: 100

1960s: 53

1970s: 11

1980s: 5

1990s: 1

Looks like you can start getting back into your normal routine starting March 4th.

Happy trails.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > Then TCM can change its name to "The All-Movie Channel".

>

> I do not think that will be necessary Fred. According to my count the next two months should allow you to be able to once again venture into............

>

> *"FRED'S COMFORT ZONE".*

>

> In March the following films will be shown:

>

> 1920s: 9

> 1930s: 111

> 1940s: 91

> 1950s: 71

> 1960s: 59

> 1970s: 15

> 1980s: 10

>

> In April the following films will be shown:

>

> 1910s: 4

> 1920s: 15

> 1930s: 106

> 1940s: 84

> 1950s: 100

> 1960s: 53

> 1970s: 11

> 1980s: 5

> 1990s: 1

>

> Looks like you can start getting back into your normal routine starting March 4th.

>

> Happy trails.

That?s good. I?m glad they are paying attention. :)

I know it's a mouthful, but I prefer the term 'studio era' films. That makes it clear that we're

talking about a specific time period, and the way films were made during it, with no necessary

connection to the quality of the films. That somewhat avoids the ambiguity of a term like Classical

Cinema, when it's not clear if this refers to a certain time period or the quality of the films themselves.

I've occasionally heard the term classic literature, but more as a description of the quality of the

text than when it was written, though there's some of that too, as modern classic is used fairly

often. People are probably never going to agree on the definition of classic, but it's an interesting

topic to consider every once in a while.