Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Allyson a pianist?

TessH

Welcome to the boards, Tess. I wondered about that, too. Did not see anything on Wiki or imdb that helped, and the TCM article doesn't address the subject. Maybe someone who's read a biography of June Allyson would have the answer.

My guess would be that June was a capable enough pianist to play the notes of the Grieg Concerto, which is quite an accomplishment, but that they used an existing recording of the concerto. Usually when a star is playing a pianist, we either see the star behind the piano or they cut in to a close-up of hands of someone else playing. Here the director repeatedly shows June actually playing the piano.

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> My guess would be that June was a capable enough pianist to play the notes of the Grieg Concerto, which is quite an accomplishment, but that they used an existing recording of the concerto.

I agree, and I think she was probably playing a piano that had no strings, so the noise wouldn't confuse her as she tried to keep in synch with the recording.