Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

actors and actresses as they age

ennisdelmar2

Did anyone else ever notice how wonderfully some performers age while others just either 'fall apart' or refuse to 'grow up'? For instance, Cary Grant was an energetic, handsome, sexy young man in the 30s and as he aged, he grew into a distinguished, handsome , articulate middle aged man. He changed just enough to be real, yet kept much of his earlier demeanor and style. James Stewart, on the other hand, went from a handsome, funny, sexy guy to , basically, an old lady. Don't misunderstand me, James Stewart is my favorite actor of all time, but he just didn't seem to age very well. I'd say with the exceptions of Rear Window, Anatomy of a Murder and Vertigo, he played the doddering, old, sentimental old **** WAY too early.

> {quote:title=ennisdelmar2 wrote:}{quote}

> he played the doddering, old, sentimental old **** WAY too early.

I think in the examples you chose, there is a distinct difference in their personas; Grant was ALWAYS the suave, sexy guy- even when playing a dope in a screwball comedy. Not unlike Henry Fonda in LADY EVE.

James Stewart played "gosh, golly gee" young leading men (even in comedies) that transitioned into "doddering, sentimental old ****" while still somewhat young, middle age. He was never considered suave or sexy. Too skinny.

And the real crime is how few women were allowed to age well. Myrna Loy, Bette Davis & Stanwyk come to mind while others like Billie Burke just went from fussy airheaded party girl to fussy airheaded old lady.

Age just solidifies & amplifies your persona into maturity.

I like to put a slight twist to this subject, for the first time in recorded history we have the technology to virtually photo record a well known person such as an actor and actress from early childhood to old age.

2 examples is Shirley Temple and Jackie *Cooper.* We asked back then, how will they look when they grow up?

Jackie Cooper as a child

186324.jpg

Teenager

Jackie%20Cooper.jpg

Young adult

Jackie_Cooper_in_Gallant_Sons_trailer.jp

Middle age

Jackie-Cooper.jpg

Today

Jackie_Cooper.jpg

As far as Shirley Temple goes, there is a scene in "Curly Top" during the "When I Grow Up" song where she prophecises her future. Did we thought this would happen so FAST? LOL!

Shirley-Temple.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 12, 2011 7:56 PM Fixed photo and said Coogan instead of Cooper in one line, my bad.

Our society is so cruel when it comes to something that is so natural and unavoidable - aging!

While diet, exercise and lifestyle play a part, much of it is also genetics. Cary Grant had some good genes. Tyrone Power had some good genes (despite the cigarettes that aged him in the 50s). Susan Hayward, while she died so young, had some good genes. Unfortunately, not everyone was the same. By the time Bette Davis hit the 1950s, she looked "older" the same with Joan Crawford. Both very lovely looking women in their earlier years. From paparazzi pics, Garbo also seemed to maintain her looks even though she didn't do the glamour thing anymore. Those who still looked good and were healthy were often still appearing on red carpets and attending events. From what I have seen, Kitty Carlisle, Cyd Charisse, Barbara Stanwyck, Gloria Swanson and several others looked great up until the end. I don't really know who had any surgeries or enhancements but these ladies looked great. Many of these stars wanted to be "time capsuled" via there films or television shows and chose to avoid interviews and public appearances as they aged or become sickly. With the way our society is so judgmental on looks, I don't blame them.

One can say that people are being 'judgemental' but that is natural and I wouldn't define it as a negative thing; People are just calling it as they see it.

This is especially true for movie stars; A large part of their appeal is their looks. Now that may be shallow (ok it is), but it is a large part of the appeal for many actors and actresses.

This being the case when a star loses that part of their appeal they have to make changes to make up the difference. In many cases this leads to better acting from the star; i.e. they cannot just depend on their nice looking face or body but instead have to act.

Thus as a star ages it is only natural for people to compare how they looked when younger to how they look today, especially if 'looks' was a key part of their act in their younger days. Secure stars don't care if they are judge. Davis clearly didn't care. She just wanted to make movies and in some of her later ones (Baby Jane), she looks gross but that was part of the act.

If one doesn't wish to be judge by their looks they can be like E.G. Robinson; That guy wasn't very good looking but a great actor and since his looks were never part of his appeal he had a very long and great career.

Not a big star, but the actor or actress who looks the youngest, to me, at a relatively advanced age, is Charles Grodin. The one everyone seems to agree on is Robert Cummings. Sophia Loren still looks great in her '70s, despite having been a heavy smoker when she was younger. Now THAT'S what I call good genes.

Not a big star, but the actor or actress who looks the youngest, to me, at a relatively advanced age, is Charles Grodin. The one everyone seems to agree on is Robert Cummings. Sophia Loren still looks great in her '70s, despite having been a heavy smoker when she was younger. Now THAT'S what I call good genes.

To quote Margo Channing:

"Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men."

As a society, I think we are easier on men--we value that look of character and, I don't know--wisdom maybe?--that aging brings most men. Women on the other hand are supposed to be all bright-eyed and fresh and smooth-skinned. As soon as the first wrinkle sets in, it's all over. I get the feeling that things aren't so cut and dried in Europe--that they have a much better attitude towards againg than Americans do.

To name a woman who seems to be aging gracefully and well, Jamie Lee Curtis looks just fine, silvery hair and all.