Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PRETTY WOMAN and FORREST GUMP on TCM

PrinceSaliano

Ok that definition isn't vague but "Appeals to a majority of people" is NOT how I would define 'classic' but instead popular. Classic has a time element as part of the meaning (which is why some use the term 'instant classic' which to me is bogus, but I rant).

Here is what I found on the web and to me a better definition of classic:

Belonging to the highest rank or class.

Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.

Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles: a classic piece of research.

Of a well-known type; typical: a classic mistake.

Of or characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome; classical.

Using the definition you provided a song that was released last week that was a 'hit' would be a classic but using the one I found it wouldn't be a classic until it was 'enduring' (of course it is subjective how long something has to be around to be 'enduring' but it wouldn't be a week or a year or even a decade in my view).

Anyhow since we both found very different definitions of 'classic' to me that means the meaning of the term is all over the place (i.e. means different things to different people) define 'classic'.

This is why some have said TCM should change it's name to something like: TSM - Tunner Studio Era movies. This has meaning to those that understand movie history and I believe how the majority of those at this website define 'classic' as it relates to movies.

Yes, give me Gable over 99% of the stars in the last 30 years.

Fred, I really need to say this. There are times when you come very close to "going over the edge," as they say, in your replies. Unfortunately, this is one of the times when you have not only come close, but with several links to hooker costumes you have jumped right over into boobyhatchland. Fred, get a grip.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> boobyhatchland.

I think it?s odd that this film about a prostitute created a ?fashion? stir in this country, so much so that Sears and Penneys are selling hooker merchandise, and kids in America can now buy ?pimp suits?. Sears sells a brand of shoes called ?Bordello Women?.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05468544000P

America has become Pottersville, and the film ?Pretty Woman? helped make it that way.

*America has become Pottersville, and the film ?Pretty Woman? helped make it that way.*

You get out much Fred?

From comments like these I would think that you often visit the more seedy parts of big cities and the like. Or is it just your frequent visits to modern film that sets you off.

From where I call home I would have to disagree with you on that statement.

As far as Pretty Woman's fashion statement here is one take on it:

According to InOut Star.com,

*Pretty Woman is like the Bible of the modern working woman, when it comes to fashion. The transformation of the uneducated prostitute into the high-society lady through some of the world's most stunning clothes - the day-at-the-races polka dot ensemble and the Cerutti red gown, for example - have made every woman dream about romances like that. A woman's ascension to power was made through love and style and that was what made the film leave its print in numerous fields of activity, including the fashion industry.*

I don't know why I even bother writing this. Fred is just going to pick and choose what he wants.

Fred, now you are just being deliberately obtuse. fxreyman just meant that the Beverly Hills rich outfits she wears is the fashion bible for women...not the hooker outfits.

5444193498_ec5bb6a100.jpg

5443609155_ef3f98e9d7.jpg

5443591677_5bb9bb2355.jpg

FredCDobbs wrote:

<< kids in America can now buy ?pimp suits?. >>

I like the humor and a bit of truth behind your post but those pimp suits would lead one to think, what kind of parent would allow their kids to wear such a thing. Besides the bad parenting, the boy in adult life will sure treat women with low respect. I still remembered that website that showed kids in a school play putting on a mock Al Pacino "Scarface" play. Man has schools ever changed since I went.

The movie "Little Miss Sunshine" was an eye opener. The fact parents do let their kids do outragous stuff just to get noticed is very unsettling. That little girl *was* a tramp on stage.

Remember what Oprah Winfrey said about mothers "wh___ing their daughters". That was the most truthfull thing ever said.

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 13, 2011 11:08 PM

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 13, 2011 11:38 PM

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

>

> The movie "Little Miss Sunshine" was an eye opener. The fact parents do let their kids do outragous stuff just to get noticed is very unsettling. That little girl *was* a tramp on stage.

Yep. American movies are teaching Americas little girls to be whores.

*"I don't know why I even bother writing this. Fred is just going to pick and choose what he wants."* - filmlover

I am hoping he won't see it because is watching *Going My Way* at the moment - with a little Irish Whiskey to warm him and his soul. But there is that troublesome sub-plot about a wayward girl that the priest lets leave to walk the streeets of NYC.

tsk-tsk.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> FredC,

>

> Just an FYI, the language some of you guys are using this thread could get it locked. The mods have locked threads in the past for using it.

Hey, I?m not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didn?t air ?Pretty Woman?, TCM did.

*"...what kind of parent would allow their kids to wear such a thing."* - hamradio

Oh, the ones that buy their daughters Bratz dolls and dress them in "****-In-Training" tee shirts. Yes, I actually saw a young girl with her parents with just such a tee shirt on. I guess Mom and Dad thought it was cute to put it on their four-year old.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > FredC,

> >

> > Just an FYI, the language some of you guys are using this thread could get it locked. The mods have locked threads in the past for using it.

>

> Hey, I'm not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didn't air 'Pretty Woman', TCM did.

TCM also showed Stagecoach and Lost Horizon. But, of course, you could always go back to films about hard-working women in offices...like "Baby Face". ; )

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"...what kind of parent would allow their kids to wear such a thing."* - hamradio

>

> Oh, the ones that buy their daughters Bratz dolls and dress them in "****-In-Training" tee shirts. Yes, I actually saw a young girl with her parents with just such a tee shirt on. I guess Mom and Dad thought it was cute to put it on their four-year old.

I never heard of it before, but I just looked **** up on Google search.

*Hey, I?m not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didn?t air ?Pretty Woman?, TCM did.*

FredC,

Yeah, but you are the one writing about who*** and pim** which, in the past, mods have locked threads for such language.

lzcutter thanks for the reminder. I deleted one and did a word edit on another. My comment on LMS is only saying whats wrong with some of our parents and kids and the impact such films have on them.

We can only hope TCM don't air "Showgirls" in the future.

PS Since when did *P___p* became a bad word? LOL!

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 13, 2011 11:56 PM

*"Hey, I?m not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didn?t air ?Pretty Woman?, TCM did."* - FredCDobbs

Gasp! And there are more to come. All-Day Thursday under the heading of "How To Earn An Oscar Nomination" -

*Never On A Sunday*

*Butterfield 8*

*Street Angel*

*Anna Christie*

*Irma LaDouce*

Shocking!

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> TCM also showed Stagecoach and Lost Horizon. But, of course, you could always go back to films about hard-working women in offices...like "Baby Face". ; )

Yeah, but their professions where vague so that kids would not understand, and only sophisticated adults would.

That?s a lot different from the explicitness in ?Pretty Woman?.