Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PRETTY WOMAN and FORREST GUMP on TCM

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Hey, I?m not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didn?t air ?Pretty Woman?, TCM did.*

>

> FredC,

>

> Yeah, but you are the one writing about who*** and pim** which, in the past, mods have locked threads for such language.

The advertisement called them ?pimp suits for boys?.

What do you want me to call them, ?boy scout uniforms for the inner city??

TCM's the one showing the dirty movies, not me.

I'd rather see Betty Grable family films.

Dobbsey appears to think that there is no degree of separation, no "filter," between a

movie and the effect it has on real life, that films have an all powerful and all encompassing

influence on how people live their lives. Sorry, films just aren't that significant and it doesn't

work that way.

Well, they just don't make Super Freaks like they used to.

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}

> Dobbsey appears to think that there is no degree of separation, no "filter," between a

> movie and the effect it has on real life, that films have an all powerful and all encompassing

> influence on how people live their lives. Sorry, films just aren't that significant and it doesn't

> work that way.

Google search: Teenagers imitate Jackass movie:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=teenagersimitatejackassmovie&btnG=GoogleSearch&rlz=1R2GWYA_enUS356&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"Hey, Im not the one showing movies about lovable prostitutes on network television. I didnt air Pretty Woman, TCM did."* - FredCDobbs

>

> Gasp! And there are more to come. All-Day Thursday under the heading of "How To Earn An Oscar Nomination" -

> *Never On A Sunday*

> *Butterfield 8*

> *Street Angel*

> *Anna Christie*

> *Irma LaDouce*

>

> Shocking!

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, I'm sure Fred would say that to kids the ladies on the street in Irma are just waiting for a bus. Which is true...a busload of tourists.

I'm done for the night. Time to go back to watching TV.

Well, it was a TV show first, but this really proves nothing-except that a very tiny

proportion of people will act out what they see. Just like a minuscule number of

women decided to become prostitutes after seeing Pretty Woman or kiddies

will become ladies of the evening because Sears sells "ho's" accessories. The

cause and effect for large numbers of people just isn't there.

Yes, the classics can be a good thing:

Interesting . . . Rick James . . . Hmm, I might have to refer to him as ?The King of The Ho?s.? Well, for those of you who don?t know, Mr. James led a very, very wild and crazy lifestyle of a typical recording artist. While Rick tried to enjoy his rather erogenous activities in and out of the recording studio, living his life in the fast lane of lots of drugs and women, he would be besieged with all sorts of legal problems, especially an alleged rape. He was stopped in his tracks, due to a weird assault of having kidnapped a young woman and held her for days, forcing her into lewd sexual acts. At the same time, James was by that time an avid drug user, especially with crack cocaine. He was later found guilty and went off to prison.

His story becomes so bizarre, after he got out of jail and his career never recovered. He spent time trying to get back into the mainstream of the music business that had naturally changed during the time of his incarceration. There would never be anything as big as a comeback for James. Well, he was found dead in his Burbank, California apartment in August of 2004. What made his death so grotesque was having died from pulmonary and cardiac failure, aside from the other various health problems, having previously suffered a stroke, a diabetes condition, a pacemaker having been installed, only to have his autopsy reveal his body was inundated with such substances as hydrocodone, digoxin, citalopram, methamphetamine, alprazolam, chlorpheniramine, bupropion, diazepam and of course the drug of choice for just about everyone who gets a bit celebrity notions, cocaine. In typical celebrity form, he was laid to rest at the popular and famous Forest Lawn Cemetery. So, James is among many others who took the rather raunchy road to fame.

Any fans of his needn?t worry, because I hear there?s planned a film bio about his life. The funny thing about this is I?m sure they could find many a current celebrity today to play the role, which just might have had the same experience as James or has tasted the fruits of outrageous fortune to lead a wild and crazy lifestyle. ?Long Live The King . . . The King of Ho?s!?

I won't pretend that my time around show business was so pure and without its fair share of mishaps and craziness. It's just that sometimes I have to wonder just how far are we going to go with situations that at times appear to me to be out of control and there aren't any rules or guide lines set down towards a degree of sanity to follow. If any of you caught a glimpse of what went on at the Granny Awards tonight, you might understand what I'm referring to. But then, I'm from the old school of Hollywood and I guess we had a different set of rules to follow. My generation was far from perfect, but when you get my age, you begin to wonder if anything of the past ever gets learned from and undestood that it might not be so healthy.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> The best thing for TCM to do with these two insipid films is to mix together all the reels, then divide them into two piles, and show one film called *Pretty Gump*, and another called *Forrest Woman*.

LOL@Valentine...31 Days of Oscar indeed!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> *Ho* necklace from Sears:

>"Pretty Woman" Vivian *ho* knee boots from JC Penny:

I got giggled at by a bunch of 13 y/o girls when they saw me repairing a broken hoe. I had to explain to them "a hoe" is a gardening tool, while the word they were thinking of is "****". I had to further explain "ho" is a slang, baby talk version of the word "****" because some people simply can't pronounce the word "****".

I respect your command of speech, Dobbs. I hate the perpetuation of "baby talk" within our language.

And yes, I agree with you about the popularity of "hootchie mama" type fashions. Unless worn in the appropriate situation:

hausberger_chief_rider.jpg

Harry Potter is rather atypical. It is rare for any movie to have that kind of impact, and

like Jackass, it started in another form. I imagine even HP only affected a minority of

kiddies, though a very big minority, and not even one of them went on to become a

wizard.

There is also a difference between dressing up in costume for a special event like a convention or Halloween and following the dress of a character for your regular wardrobe.

In the sense of dressing up in costume Harry Potter is not atypical at all: Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Anime, etc but I don't think you will see people dressed up as Wizard or Klingons on a regular basis. At least I hope not. LOL

I'd say that James went well beyond the the bacchanal behavior of your typical

rock/funk star. Perhaps his career would have slowed down even if he didn't get

into all the trouble he did. It's a rather sad story, but, as the cliche goes, we'll always

have the music.

Jackson[is+life[/i]inpicturesgRTLRl-kN8Gl.jpg]

Here's looking at you, super freak. :)

This is the most convoluted discussion I have seen on any thread, ever. Lipizzaner Stallions? Harry Potter Halloween costums? A mini-bio of Rick James? What became of "Pretty Woman and Forrest Gump"? I am a new member. Is this a typical of the progression of topics on movies? I don't get it.

This topic related to fashion is one I would typically stay out of (fashion not being one of my things), but Pretty Woman is something that I'm aware of; Why? Well I was engaged to a gal back when the movie came out and fashion was big in her life (as in REAL big) and she went to Beverly Hills and Melrose etc... often, but she was a good (I would say repressed) gal from a sexual standpoint (e.g. no sex before marriage). She LOVED this movie and I admit I would make fun of her for that. i.e. why would you like a movie about a hooker? She would say; OH, this is really NOT about a hooker but just a love story. Say what? I guess a change of cloth changed what she did for a living!

Anyhow she just loved the fashions but of course wanted ME to pay for them. I told her to complete college (she was a never ending college student), and find a good job (but of course not one like Julie!).

These films, like Star Wars or the Star Trek series, that become all around

phenomenons do come along every once in a while, but most movies don't

have this kind of effect on the audience. And it's more a matter of dressing

up than any changes in behavior. I think we overestimate the effect movies

have on the behavior of people.

This thread might have been a bit more convoluted than most, but it's not all

that unusual, on this or other sites, for topics to take strange turns as individuals

chime in.

Exactly I agree with you (well except for Star Trek and Star Wars being that special of a phenomena when it comes to creating a fandom) but as I pointed out before there is a big difference between dressing up in costume & dressing up as pertains to your regular wardrobe.

I really don't see how Pretty Woman affected today's fashion all that much. If anything I think what Julia Roberts wore after she became more fashionable would be more popular than the clothes she wore in the early part of the movie.

And I guess it is an unpopular opinion on here but I did enjoy that movie when I saw it (it's nowhere near a favorite though and I only saw it once).

Edited by: Kinokima on Feb 14, 2011 2:33 PM

Yes, there is a big difference between attending an event in costume and going around

in one on a daily basis, especially impractical sci-fi ones.

Pretty Woman is now twenty years old, so I doubt it has much of a sway either fashion

wise or in influencing women toward a certain career path. It's really a stretch to think that a

movie would actually have that kind of long term influence, when there are so many other

factors to consider.

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}

> Jackson[is+life[/i]inpicturesgRTLRl-kN8Gl.jpg]

Funny, the guy on the right is Rick Nielson of the band Cheap Trick. He patterned his look after Huntz Hall of the Bowery Boys, bringing us back to classic movie discussion.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> Gasp! And there are more to come. All-Day Thursday under the heading of "How To Earn An Oscar Nomination" -

> *Never On A Sunday*

> *Butterfield 8*

> *Street Angel*

> *Anna Christie*

> *Irma LaDouce*

>

Never On A Sunday

I saw it in an ?art? theater in the early ?60s. The lady was too old.

Butterfield 8

Saw it in 1960. Yawn.

Street Angel

Haven?t seen it yet.

Anna Christie

A story about a cheap barroom and tugboat hooker. Yuck. I don?t hang out in cheap barrooms or on tugboats.

Irma LaDouce

I?ve never seen it. I?m not interested in seeing it.