Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ann Sheridan: Who Thinks She Was in "Treasure..."

Ascotrudgeracer

People claim she visited the location of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" but does anyone believe that WAS her as the prostitute luring Bogart inside that building in the first reel?

I've stopped the tape and looked as hard as I could, and I can't believe it's Sheridan.

But it DOES sound like something Huston would do...sounds like something she also would try, on a lark.

I initially thought you were asking who thinks she was A treasure, to which I would've replied "me."

To answer your actual question, there is a photo of her on set, but she is not visible in the movie at any point. My guess is that they either did it as a joke on Bogart with no intention of keeping her in the finished film or they had some sort of trouble getting clearance from the studio to use her, as there is an internal memo from the time that seems to be asking if it would be okay for her footage to be used.

This issue of Ann Sheridan having been in the film was cleared up years ago. First off, the segment of the street hooker is in two parts, consisting of the first shot where Bogie is face to face with her and then a cut in the shot, where she is seen in the distance having walked away. According to some sources, it?s now claimed that the woman in the second (distance) shot is Sheridan and obviously not the one in the first shot of the segment. Unfortunately, too many years have passed and so many people connected to the scene are deceased, unable to verify if in fact it was Sheridan in the distance. There are documented photos of Sheridan visiting the set during a break in shooting at Warner Brothers. However, on the day she visited the set, she is dressed in a costume that doesn?t resemble either woman of the mysterious scene. Anything is of course possible, but there is no solid evidence around to say who was the woman in the distance. Even Betty Bacall has been asked about this claim, but she wasn?t there and never really could verify that Sheridan was in fact part of the scene. This has now become a popular myth of the movies.

Another recent and rather odd mythical claim is that the mighty Alfred Hitchcock was dressed as a woman in a scene from ?North by Northwest.? The scene takes place when Cary is on the train and attempting to elude the conductor by hiding in one of the compartments at the edge of the lounge car. A heavy-set looking woman seated, reading a magazine can be glimpsed in the distance. She does bare a striking resemblance to Hitch. As far as I'm concern, there?s been enough time and circumstance to have cleared this situation up. Simply because all of Hitchcock?s films from the 1950s were extremely documented and there are enough people around still today, to have given attention to this matter. It simply didn?t happen.

It is easy to tell by looking at a high quality copy of the film that the lady who walks past Bogart, and who is the same lady who walks up the steps to her apartment, she hesitates and looks back at him, is NOT Ann Sheridan.

I posted this information several years ago, and the information was passed on to Mr. Osborne. After years of him saying that Sheridan was the lady on the steps, he finally admitted that he could not find Sheridan anywhere in the film. This was after a year or two of me mentioning it on this board.

She could have been filmed for some scene, but the film might not have been used in the final movie, or she could be a pedestrian in the distance in one of the wide shots near the beginning of the film. But she can not be found or seen or identified in the film.

James Cagney is supposed to be an extra in ?Mutiny on the Bounty?, but I haven?t been able to identify him yet.

There were many Hollywood stars in the audience of the chariot race of the silent ?Ben Hur?, but they were too far away from the camera to be identified.

I think because this issue is also mentioned on the special edition (two disc) DVD has given the matter a lot of interest. But, I have to agree with everything you've said. I'm of the feeling that I've always had a love it be Sheridan, simply for sentimental, nostalgic reasons of the movies. We now will probably never know for sure, if in fact, the event ever happened. She was there on the set, but was she really at some point, filmed in the movie? Who can say? . . . :-D

It would be really fun for someone to put a documentary together showing all the cameo clips from different films.

For example, Margo plays an uncredited Mexican woman in ?Viva Zapata?, and D.W. Griffith is the opera orchestra leader in ?San Francisco? (1936). He also directed the ?camping in the park? sequence at the end of the movie.

Gary Cooper, Marian Davies, and Joan Crawford are supposed to be in crowd scenes in ?Ben Hur? (1925).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016641/fullcredits#cast

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Feb 13, 2011 3:58 PM

YES! I think that would be a great idea! There are so many to choose from. One of my all time favorites is in the Sci-Fi film ?2010: Odyssey 2.? A person is seen in a park reading the latest issue of Time Magazine. The cover story of the magazine concerns the impending political crisis between the United States and the Soviet Union in the film. What?s makes this cameo so incredibly outstanding and inventive is that the Time cover has a photographic portrait of the American President and the Soviet leader. Although the shot is rather quick, I noticed it on my very first viewing of the film in a theater. It just so happens that the American President is none other than the Sci-Fi writer Arthur C. Clarke and the Soviet Leader is legendary movie director Stanley Kubrick! Now, that?s what I call a really good, surprising cameo with lots of underlying meanings that relate to so much motion picture history.

Another striking cameo is in the historic epic of the American Space program, ?The Right Stuff.? I got this one right away! It?s the scene of the bartender pouring a drink and its none other than the real man who broke the sound barrier, jet pilot Chuck Yeager.

There are the usual misconceptions and misinterpretations of films that have what appear to be a cameo. In the 1954, ?A Woman?s World,? there is a scene in a large New York City garment store, that has been of some interest to a few fans. In the hectic scene of these wild women dashing about, grabbing whatever dresses they can get at a bargain price, just as the scene is ending, a beautiful blonde is shown glancing at a rack of clothes. Some fans have assumed the woman is none other than Marilyn, but it?s more of an ?in-joke? of having a gal as a sort of Marilyn look-alike, shopping among the multitudes of New York.

One cameo that is so obvious, but was never, absolutely never confirmed nor discussed by those who created it was in the 1959, Paramount musical, ?Lil Abner.? It?s clear that the guy who is called upon to test out the secret weapon of ?Miss Stupefyin? Jones? is none other than Jerry Lewis. The comedian has never openly admitted he was in the scene. My guess is that Jerry has felt all these years he needn?t say a word and that the scene speaks for itself or for all his notoriety.

How about Liz Taylor, showing up in ?Anne of Thousand Days,? hidden behind a masque mask? This one has fooled a few fans who don?t know of it. In talking about a mask, let?s not forget Danny Glover as an outlaw, in ?Maverick,? opposite his buddy of the ?Lethal Weapon? films, Mel Gibson.

As they say in the rock & roll world, ?the beat goes on? and so do the cameos to this day. Some of the recent and somewhat expected ones are by Marvel Comics creator, Stan Lee. He?s appeared in all the major films of the super heroes he helped make so famous. Another striking issue is that of Luke Wilson appearing in what was obviously an unaccredited appearance in the recent remake of the western ?3:10 to Yuma.? I have to wonder if today, there are more cameos in major films than when you and I were making the rounds, way back then . . .?

Wow, Chuck Yeager as a bartender! I see you?ve done a lot of research about this. I notice it every now and then, but mainly when I read about the full cast on IMDB, then I go and look at my copy of an old movie and then I recognize the person, such as Margo in ?Viva Zapata?. To recognize D.W. Griffith in ?San Francisco?, watch all the opera scenes that show the orchestra leader, and look for his profile when he turns his head. He?s only in wide shots, both front and rear shots.

It?s fun to find rare films like this:

?Sunkist Stars at Palm Springs? (short), 1936:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2s6LGBeRRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPETrarwE8&NR=1

Films like this are not listed in the ?Actor? or ?Actress? section of IMDB. They are listed in the ?SELF? section of the actors? listings, since they use their real names in these films.

A whole long 1930s feature-length All-Star Technicolor film could be made by splicing these kinds of color shorts together. Betty Grable is 20 years old in this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028325/fullcredits#cast

It's amazing to think that Betty was with 3-Strip Technicolor from the early days of the 1930s! I've always hassled with the idea that Maria Montez be desigated as "The Queen of Technicolor" during the 1940s. It's my contention that the title belonged to Betty, lock-stock-and barrel. But then, who was I to argue with the publicity department over at Universal Pictures? Anyway, I figured you must know about Betty's one and only most interesting cameo appearance in a major film? When it first appeared, audiences across the country roared with joy and excitement. It was one of the most appropriate cameos ever devised.

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:}{quote}

> Anyway, I figured you must know about Betty's one and only most interesting cameo appearance in a major film? When it first appeared, audiences across the country roared with joy and excitement. It was one of the most appropriate cameos ever devised.

Nope, I don't know it. Maybe "Four Jills in a Jeep"?

Here's part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPETrarwE8&NR=1

> Ascotrudgeracer . . .

> Jerry Lewis is listed in all the credits for "Li'l Abner" and anyone not blind can see him!

No No . . . You can?t go by what has now been published, especially after the fact that Jerry's cameo was kept a secret and not ever announced or publicized during filming and after the movie?s release by Paramount Pictures! The two producers of the film, Norman Panama and Melvin Frank wanted it so, with the understanding that they knew full well what an impact it would have on audiences and once noticed would give the film extra added hype; after its initial release! Jerry was never listed in any credits during the promotional campaign for the film?s release date. This sort of routine is what designates a cameo, in that it?s kept under wraps as long as possible, with the hope of not getting leaked to the press. However, there are times that this sort of information can?t be so easily out of reach of a columnist and therefore it might get publicized. Naturally, if leaked, the information can add extra interest to the public going to see the film. In the old days of Hollywood, the press actually cooperated most of the time to stay quiet at the request of the studio on this very issue of the cameo, until enough time, say several weeks had passed to finally say something about it. Of course, this issue also went to any film critic, because they too understood the fun meaning of a cameo, as to not spoil it for the fans and therefore might hold back on even mentioning it! Today, most fans are going to get the necessary information of a major cameo appearance in a classic Hollywood film that was not, I repeat, *NOT* available to the public at the time of the motion picture?s release.

Maybe you could write a magazine article about this. I think it would interest a lot of movie people. Also you could tie-in a few of the Hitchcock cameos.

I don?t know what magazine would pay the most money, maybe one of the big non-movie magazines like New Yorker.

I used to be a magazine editor years ago. I had a penthouse office on Sunset Boulevard, in West Hollywood (the old county area) back in the ?70s.

You could write the article or send out queries. If you write it, you would probably need to leave out all the actor?s names and movie titles. Just leave a blank space and tell the editor you will fill in those names if they buy the article. That way you won?t have your research material stolen from you by some other writer.

> FredCDobbs . . .

It?s funny you mention the idea of writing an article on the subject. I had years ago, helped in the publication of at least two books relating to this subject, ?Reel Gags? by Bill Givens and ?I was A Fugitive from a Hollywood Trivia Factory? by Aubrey Dillon Malone. I don?t know if both books are still in print. As for myself, well I was associated with publicity many years ago. I worked for several noted columnists and those old movie fan magazines. It?s too long a story for me to get into and I?d rather just keep a low profile and not feel I?m a dominant figure over this matter. I?d rather not get into any details about who I knew and what I did. This website is for exchanges of ideas and opinions and not for any personal grandstanding over one?s past or expertise of the motion picture profession. I must admit, sometimes I go a bit over the top with expressive and lengthy responses. I have to try and stay neutral as possible and not play the role of ?Mister Know It All.? Besides, at my age I?ve already had my share of senior moments and the facts I give aren?t always so clear or in the right direction. I remember when Gregg Peck won a Golden Globe Award and paid tribute to the Australian film crew of the time they worked on the TV remake of ?Moby Dick.? Gregg said in his acceptance speech, ?I want to thank our Australian film crew, they were wonderful, as fine a crew from the time I was in their country filming ?On The Beach? back in 1939!? Poor Gregg, he really meant to say 1959! Oh well, I guess I might be next!

P.S. You?re a good man Fred (I?m assuming you?re a male?); I will admit that I"m one. And, thanks for your interest and support on so many wonderful things we?ve shared about the movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkjNKpkwolA&NR=1

Ok, at 4:58 into this clip, there is a photo of Ann Sheridan in costume and makeup for what is supposed to be her role in ?Treasure?. However the narrator says she is dressed in a costume ?as the prostitute?, but look at her dress. It?s not the same dress. The prostitute is wearing an all black dress, that has some sparkle beads on the outside of the upper sleeves. Ann is wearing a dress that has light flower prints on the top of it, and she?s wearing a completely different type of necklace. And she has a completely different type of hair style, with large flowers on the right side of her hair. The prostitute has a different hair style and isn?t wearing flowers in her hair.

Here is the first part of the 1-hour documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISCYQWpEew&feature=related

The probability of this incident occurring might have been during a rehearsal of the scene, whereby Sheridan was placed into the situation as a surprise. Perhaps even Huston may have shot the scene, but for technical reasons it was dropped, because Sheridan was a major star at Warner?s and this wouldn?t have gone over so well with the studio front-office. There?s reason to feel that something that day did happen, due to so much talk about the surprise, plus those few photos of Sheridan on the set. In the final analysis, we now may have to accept the idea that the woman in the filmed scene was not Sheridan and the whole idea of this cameo was abandoned.