Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What/Who Should Have Won?

johnm001

The discussion on the Barbra/Kate thread, made me think of what and who should have won, over the years. Limit the list to those that were actually nominated. My list would be somewhat different, including all and any from each year. I stopped at 1991, which was about when I stopped caring.

1936 ? San Francisco ? Best Picture

1937 - In Old Chicago ? Best Picture

1938 ? The Adventures of Robin Hood ? Best Picture, Wendy Hiller for Pygmalion ? Best Actress

1939 - Jimmy Stewart for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington -Best Actor

1940 - The Grapes of Wrath - Best Picture

1941 - Barbara Stanwyck for Ball of Fire - Best Actress

1943 - The Song of Bernadette - Best Picture

1946 - Larry Parks for The Jolson Story - Best Actor

1948 - Olivia De Havilland for The Snake Pit - Best Actress and The Snake Pit - Best Picture

1951 - A Place in the Sun - Best Picture

1952 - The Quiet Man - Best Picture

1953 - Deborah Kerr for From Here To Eternity - Best Actress

1954 - The Caine Mutiny - Best Picture, Bing Crosby for The Country Girl - Best Actor

1956 - The Ten Commandements - Best Picture, Patty McCormack for The Bad Seed - Best Supporting Actress

1957 - Witness for the Prosecution - Best Picture

1962 - The Music Man - Best Picture

1963 - How the West Was Won - Best Picture

1964 - Mary Poppins - Best Picture, Robert Stevenson for Mary Poppins - Best Director

1965 - Julie Andrews for The Sound of Music - Best Actress

1966 - Richard Burton and George Segal for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor

1967 - Anne Bancroft for The Graduate - Best Actress

1968 - Patricia Neal for The Subject Was Roses - Best Actresses and Sondra Locke for The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Best Supporting Actresses

1970 - Airport - Best Picture, Maureen Stapleton for Airport - Best Supporting Actress

1971 is just the worst year, ever for all the nominees.

1972 - Paul Winfiled for Sounder - Best Actor, Diana Ross for Lady Sings the Blues - Best Actress, Shelley Winters for The Poseidon Adventure - Best Supporting Actress

1975 - Jaws - Best Picture, Ann-Margret for Tommy - Best Actress

1976 - Sylvester Stallone and Talia Shire for Rocky - Best Actor and Actress, Piper Lauiie for Carrie - Best Supporting Actress

1977 - Anne Bancroft for The Turning Point - Best Actress

1978 - Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata - Best Actress

1979 - Peter Sellars for Being There - Best Actor

1980 - Coal Miner's Daughter - Best Picture, Robert Duvall and Michael O'Keefe for The Great Santini - Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor

1981 - Raider's of the Lost Ark - Best Picture, Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon and Louis Malle for Atlantic City - Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Director

1982 - Robert Preston, Leslie Ann Warren for Victor Victoria - Best Supporting Actor and Actress

1984 - Sissy Spacek for The River - Best Actress

1985 - Witness - Best Picture, James Garner for Murphy's Romance - Best Actor, Peter Weir for Witness - Best Director

1986 ? A Room With a View ? Best Picture and James Ivory for Best Director, Piper Laure for Children of a Lesser God ? Best Supporting Actress

1988 ? Mississippi Burning ? Best Picture and Alan Parker Best Director, Tom Hanks for Big ? Best Actor

1989 ? Jim Sheridan for My Left Foot ? Best Direcor

1991 ? Beauty and the Beast ? Best Picture

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}

> Interesting idea, though I must say the only idea I agree with is Sellars' win for Being There. And why would one prefer How the West was Won to The Last Picture Show ?

I don't understand the question.

I tend to disagree with you about 1971. It may not have been one of the better years for nominees, but then not everyone is always satisfied with the Academy's choices each and every year.

Best Picture:

Won: "THE FRENCH CONNECTION",

"A Clockwork Orange",

"Fiddler on the Roof",

"The Last Picture Show",

"Nicholas and Alexandra"

Best Actor:

Won: GENE HACKMAN in "The French Connection",

Peter Finch in "Sunday, Bloody Sunday",

Walter Matthau in "Kotch",

George C. Scott in "The Hospital",

Topol in "Fiddler on the Roof"

Best Actress:

Won: JANE FONDA in "Klute",

Julie Christie in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller",

Glenda Jackson in "Sunday, Bloody Sunday",

Vanessa Redgrave in "Mary, Queen of Scots",

Janet Suzman in "Nicholas and Alexandra"

Best Supporting Actor:

Won: BEN JOHNSON in "The Last Picture Show",

Jeff Bridges in "The Last Picture Show",

Leonard Frey in "Fiddler on the Roof",

Richard Jaeckel in "Sometimes a Great Notion",

Roy Scheider in "The French Connection"

Best Supporting Actress:

Won: CLORIS LEACHMAN in "The Last Picture Show",

Ann-Margret in "Carnal Knowledge",

Ellen Burstyn in "The Last Picture Show",

Barbara Harris in "Who is Harry Kellerman, and Why is He Saying These Terrible Things About Me?",

Margaret Leighton in "The Go-Between"

Best Director:

Won: WILLIAM FRIEDKIN for "The French Connection",

Peter Bogdanovich for "The Last Picture Show",

Norman Jewison for "Fiddler on the Roof",

Stanley Kubrick for "A Clockwork Orange",

John Schlesinger for "Sunday, Bloody Sunday"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you say How the West was Won deserved a best picture award, and you say that all the nominees of 1971, including The Last Picture Show, were bad, it's reasonable to assume the you prefer the former movie to the latter. It's not clear to me why you would, and as it happens both movies deal with living in the American west.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> You got a very nice list but the last for 1991?

>

> For me the best picture would be "Silence of the Lambs"

Except, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS did win. The idea is which years did you disagree with what/who won? I hate the film, and with the exception of the acting by its two stars, I find it woefully inept, on almost every imaginable level. Certainly nothing of the cinematic masterpiece that is BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Plus, it had basically already been done in MANHUNTER, so it wasn't even anything new. But, it's just my opinion.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> I tend to disagree with you about 1971. It may not have been one of the better years for nominees, but then not everyone is always satisfied with the Academy's choices each and every year.

>

Other than Best Supporting Actress, the entire list is dreary, imo.

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}

> Well, if you say How the West was Won deserved a best picture award, and you say that all the nominees of 1971, including The Last Picture Show, were bad, it's reasonable to assume the you prefer the former movie to the latter. It's not clear to me why you would, and as it happens both movies deal with living in the American west.

That's like saying if you love GONE WITH THE WIND, you should love MADEA GOES TO JAIL, because they are both about people living in Clayton County, Georgia! There is simply no comparison. Actually, I don't find THE LAST PICTURE SHOW so horrible, just not remarkable. When I saw HTWWW in Cinerama, it was remarkable. And, I'd still rather watch it, than many of the films made since it. Including THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.

I saw "Nicholas and Alexandra" on TCM a couple of weeks ago. I had seen it when it was released, and this was the first time I had watched it in years. It was a beautiful film and the performances were outstanding. If it were released today, it probably would have gotten best picture and possibly best actress for Janet Suzman.

I can't really comment much on 1971 since I've only seen The French Connection & Fiddler on the Roof. French Connection is alright but I much prefer Fiddler. I also prefer Topol's performance to Hackman's.

Still it seems Clockwork Orange and Last Picture Show (neither of which I have seen) are the nominees most highly regarded today.

Okay, here is a list that might take people here awhile to read and or comprehend......

1932/1933

Cavalcade won Best Picture

*Queen Christina* should have won.

Other contenders could have been:

42nd Street, I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang, and The Private Life of Henry VIII.

The Great Ziegfeld won Best Picture

*Dodsworth* should have won.

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Modern Times, My Man Godfrey, and The Story of Louis Pasteur.

The Life of Emile Zola won Best Picture

*Lost Horizon* should have won.

The Awful Truth, The Good Earth and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Life of Emile Zola and Stage Door.

You Can't Take It With You won Best Picture

*The Adventures of Robin Hood* should have won.

Bringing Up Baby, The Citadel, Holiday, Jezebel, and The Lady Vanishes.

Rebecca won Best Picture.

*The Grapes of Wrath* should have won.

Abe Lincoln in Illinois, Fantasia, Foreign Correspondent, The Great Dictator, His Girl Friday, The Letter, The Long Voyage Home, The Mark of Zorro, My Favorite Wife, Northwest passage, The Philadelphia Story, Pride and Prejudice, The Sea Hawk, The Shop Around the Corner and Rebecca.

How Green Was My Valley won Best Picture.

*Citizen Kane* should have won.

Ball of Fire, The Devil and Daniel Webster, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, How Green Was My Valley, The Lady Eve, The Maltese Falcon, Meet John Doe, Sergeant York, Sullivan's Travels, and Suspicion.

Mrs. Miniver won Best Picture.

*Random Harvest* should have won.

In Which We Serve, Kings Row, The Magnificent Ambersons, Mrs. Miniver, Now Voyager, Pride of the Yankees, Random Harvest, The Talk of the Town, To Be or Not To Be, Woman of the year, and Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Going My Way won the Best Picture.

*Meet Me in St. Louis* should have won.

Double Indemnity, Gaslight, Going My Way, To Have and Have Not, Henry V, Laura, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Mr. Skeffington, Murder My Sweet, Since You Went Away, and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

Lost Weekend won Best Picture

*They Were Expendable* should have won.

Brief Encounter, The Clock, The Lost Weekend, Mildred Pierce, Objective, Burma!, Spellbound, The Story of G.I. Joe, A tree Grows in Brooklyn, and A Walk in the Sun

Gentleman's Agreement won Best Picture.

*Odd Man Out* should have won.

The Bishop's Wife, Black narcissus, Body and Soul, Brute Force, Crossfire, The Farmer's Daughter, Gentleman's Agreement, Kiss of Death, and Out of the Past

Hamlet won Best Picture.

*Red River* should have won.

The Big Clock, Call Northside 777, Fort Apache, Hamlet, I Remember Mama, Johnny Belinda, Key largo, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Oliver Twist, The Red Shoes, The Search, State of the Union, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

All the King's Men won Best Picture.

*Twelve O'Clock High* should have won.

Adam's Rib, All the King's Men, The Big Steal, Champion, Criss Cross, The Fountainhead, The Heiress, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Set Up, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, They Live By Night, and White Heat.

All About Eve won Best Picture.

*Winchester '73* should have won.

All About Eve, The Asphalt Jungle, Battleground, Born Yesterday, D.O.A., Father of the Bride, Gun Crazy, The Gunfighter, Harvey, In a Lonely Place, The Men, Panic in the Streets, Rio Grande, and Wagon Master.

An American in Paris won Best Picture.

*The Thing From Another World* should have won.

An American in Paris, The African Queen, Bright Victory, Captain Horatio Hornblower, A Christmas Carol, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Lavender Hill Mob, No Highway in the Sky, A Place in the Sun, Quo Vadis, The Red Badge of Courage, Show Boat, Strangers on a Train, and A Streetcar Named Desire.

The Greatest Show on Earth won Best Picture.

*Singin' in the Rain* should have won.

The Bad and the Beautiful, Clash By Night, The Greatest Show on Earth, High Noon, The Narrow Margin, The Quiet Man, and Pat and Mike.

Marty won Best Picture.

*The Night of the Hunter* should have won.

Bad Day at Black Rock, Blackboard Jungle, The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell, The Desperate Hours, East of Eden, Kiss Me Deadly, The Man From Laramie, Marty, Mister Roberts, Oklahoma!, Rebel Without a Cause, Richard III, The Rose Tatoo, To Catch a Thief, and The Trouble With Harry

Around the World in Eighty Days won Best Picture.

*The Searchers* should have won.

Anastasia, Around the World in Eighty Days, Carousel, Forbidden Planet, Friendly Persuasion, Giant, The Harder They Fall, High Society, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Killing, The King and I, Lust for Life, Tea and Sympathy, and The Ten Commandments

Gigi won Best Picture.

*Vertigo* should have won.

The Big Country, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Defiant Ones, Gigi, A Night to Remember, Run Silent, Run Deep, Separate Tables, South Pacific, and Touch of Evil.

The Apartment won Best Picture.

*Spartacus* should have won.

The Apartment, Elmer Gantry, The Entertainer, Exodus, Inherit the Wind, The Magnificent Seven, Psycho, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Sundowners, Sunrise at Campobello, Swiss Family Robinson, and Tunes of Glory.

West Side Story won Best Picture.

*Judgment at Nuremberg* should have won.

Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Children's Hour, The Guns of Navarone, The Hustler, King of Kings, One, Two, Three', A Raisin in the Sun, and West Side Story.

My Fair Lady won Best Picture.

*Seven Days in May* should have won.

The Americanization of Emily, Becket, The Best Man, Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Fail-Safe, Goldfinger, A Hard Day's Night, Mary Poppins, The Train, and Zorba the Greek.

Oliver! won Best Picture.

*2001: A Space Odyssey* should have won.

Bullitt, Hell in the Pacific, The Lion in Winter, The Odd Couple, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes, The Producers, Romeo and Juliet, The Subject Was Roses, Targets, The Thomas Crown Affair, and Will Penny.

Midnight Cowboy won Best Picture.

*The Wild Bunch* should have won.

Anne of the Thousand Days, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cactus Flower, Downhill Racer, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, and Women in Love.

Rocky won Best Picture.

*All the President's Men* should have won.

Bound for Glory, The Front, The Last Tycoon, Marathon Man, Network, Next Stop, Greenwich Village, The Omen, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Rocky, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, and The Shootist,

Kramer vs. Kramer won Best Picture.

*The China Syndrome* should have won.

10, Apocalypse Now, Being There, Breaking Away, Heartland, Kramer vs. Kramer, Manhattan, Norma Rae, and The Rose.

Ordinary People won Best Picture.

*The Stunt Man* should have won.

Atlantic City, Breaker Morant, Coal Miner's Daughter, The Elephant Man, The Empire Strikes Back, The Long Good Friday, Melvin and Howard, Ordinary People, and Raging Bull.

Chariots of Fire won Best Picture.

*Raiders of the Lost Ark* should have won.

Chariots of Fire, Das Boot, Eye of the Needle, Gallipoli, My Dinner With Andre, On Golden Pond, Outland, Prince of the City, and Reds.

Terms of Endearment won Best Picture.

*The Right Stuff* should have won.

A Christmas Story, Cross Creek, The Dresser, Educating Rita, Local Hero, Silkwood, Tender Mercies, Terms of Endearment, Testament, Under Fire, and Yentl.

Platoon won Best Picture.

*Hannah and Her Sisters* should have won.

Children of a Lesser God, The Color of Money, Duet for One, Hoosiers, The Mission, Salvador, Stand By Me, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Rain Man won Best Picture.

*A World Apart* should have won.

The Accidental Tourist, The Accused, Big, Bull Durham, Cinema Paradiso, Crossing Delancey, Dangerous Liaisons, Die Hard, A Fish Called Wanda, The Last Temptation of Christ, Little Dorrit, Midnight Run, Mississippi Burning, Rain Man, Stand and Deliver, and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture.

*Henry V* should have won.

Born on the Fourth of July, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Dead Poets Society, Do the Right Thing, Driving Miss Daisy, Farewell to the King, Field of Dreams, Glory, My Left Foot, and When Harry Met Sally.....

Unforgiven won Best Picture.

*Howards End* should have won.

Chaplin, The Crying Game, Enchanted April, A Few Good Men, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Last of the Mohicans, A League of Their Own, Malcolm X, One False Move, Passion Fish, The Player, A River Runs Through It, and Unforgiven.

Braveheart won Best Picture.

*Apollo 13* should have won.

The American President, Babe, The brOther s McMullen, Cry Beloved Country, Dangerous Minds, Get Shorty, Heat, Mighty Aphrodite, Nixon, Sense and Sensibility, and Toy Story.

The English Patient won Best Picture.

*Lone Star* should have won.

The Birdcage, Breaking the Waves, Courage Under Fire, Emma, The English Patient, Fargo, Flirting With Disaster, Fly Away Home, Hamlet, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Secrets and Lies, and Star Trek: First Contact.

Titanic won Best Picture.

*L.A. Confidential* should have won.

Air Force One, Amistad, The Apostle, As Good As It Gets, Boogie Nights, Contact, Eve's Bayou, The Game, Good Will Hunting, The Sweet Hereafter, Wag the Dog, and The Wings of a Dove.

Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture.

*Saving Private Ryan* should have won.

Bulworth, Down in the Delta, Elizabeth, Gods and Monsters, Next Stop Wonderland, Pleasantville, Primary Colors, Ronin, and A Simple Plan.

American Beauty won Best Picture.

*The Insider* should have won.

American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, The Cider House Rules, Election, The Green Mile, The Hurricane, The Limey, A Map of the World, Music of the Heart, Sleepy Hollow, The Straight Story, Stuart Little, Three Kings, and Topsy-Turvy.

Chicago won Best Picture.

*The Pianist* should have won.

About Schmidt, Adaptation, Antwone Fisher, Catch Me If You Can, Chicago, Far From Heaven, The Hours, In America, The Quiet American, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Road to Perdition, The Sum of All Fears, Tadpole,

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won Best Picture.

*Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World* should have won.

American Splendor, Big Fish, Cold Mountain, House of Sand and Fog, Intolerable Cruelty, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Lost in Translation, Love Actually, Mystic River, Open Range, Seabiscuit, The Station Agent,

Million Dollar Baby won Best Picture.

*Hotel Rwanda* should have won.

The Aviator, Being Julia, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland, Kinsey, Million Dollar Baby, The Notebook, Ray, Sideways, and Vera Drake.

Crash won Best Picture.

*The Constant Gardener* should have won.

Batman Begins, Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Cinderella Man, Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich, North Country, The Squid and the Whale, Syriana, Walk the Line, and War of the Worlds.

Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture.

*Gran Torino* should have won.

Appaloosa, Body of Lies, Brideshead Revisited, Burn After Reading, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, The Express, Frost/Nixon, Ghost Town, Iron Man, Last Chance Harvey, Milk, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire, The Visitor, and The Wrestler.

Well, if we have to confine ourselves to what the Academy actually nominated, I think my preferences would go like this. In fact the nomination process is one reason the award process is so flawed. Keep in mind there are years where I don't offer an alternative not because I prefer the academy's choice, but because I haven't seen either the winner or the other nominees, or I can't make up my mind, or I don't care enough about them to make a choice.

I prefer the Academy's choice for best picture in 1930-1931, 1943, 1951, 1954, 1956, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1966, 1968, 1972, 1974, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1987, 1993, 2003, 2008. I prefer the Academy's choice for best actor in 1931-1932, 1942, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1971, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1990, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008. I prefer the Academy's choice for Best Actress in 1939, 1949, 1951, 1961, 1966, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2010. Best director can be implied from the choice for best picture except when otherwise mentioned.

1932-33: Little Women over Calvacade. Paul Muni in I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang over Charles Laughton in The Private Life of Henry VIII

1934: The Thin Man over It Happened One Night, William Powell over Clark Gable.

1935: Top Hat over Mutiny on the Bounty

1936: Dodsworth or Mr Deeds goes to Town over The Great Ziegfeld. Ditto for best actor over Paul Muni. I prefer Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey over Luise Rainer.

1937: The Awful Truth over The Life of Emile Zola. I prefer Greta Garbo in Camille over Luise Rainer in The Good Earth

1938: Grand Illusion over You can't take it with you

1939: The Wizard of Oz over Gone With the Wind, Clark Gable over Robert Donat

1940: The Philadelphia Story over Rebecca,with Hepburn over Ginger Rogers, Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath over Stewart, Ford keeps his oscar..

1941: Citizen Kane over How Green was my Valley, and with Welles over Gary Cooper in Sergeant York

1942: The Magnficent Ambersons over Mrs. Miniver, Katharine Hepburn in Woman of the Year over Greer Garson. Michael Curtiz for Yankee Doodle Dandy over William Wyler.

1943: Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca over Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine

1944: Double Indemnity over Going my Way, with Barbara Stanwyck over Ingrid Bergman in Gaslight

1945: The Bells of St Mary's over The Lost Weekend

1946: It's a Wonderful Life over The Best Years of Our Lives (sorry William Wyler), and Stewart over March.

1947: Great Expectations over Gentleman's Agreement

1948: The Red Shoes over Hamlet (nice try, Laurence Olivier)

1949: The Heiress over All the King's Men

1950: Sunset Blvd over All About Eve, with Holden over Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac and Swanson over Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday (sorry Joseph Mankewicz)

1951: Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire over Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen

1952: High Noon over The Greatest Show on Earth

1954: I haven't seen Grace Kelly in The Country Girl but no one has given a good reason that she is better than Judy Garland in A Star is Born

1955: James Dean in East of Eden over Ernest Borgnine in Marty

1957: 12 angry Men over The Bridge over the River Kwai

1959: Anatomy of a Murder over Ben-Hur, with Stewart or Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot over Charleton Heston. Billy Wilder for best director for Some Like it Hot.

1960: Laurence Olivier in the The Entertainer over Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry and indeed the unnominated Anthony Perkins in Psycho (Hitchcock still wins best director.)

1962: Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia over Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbirg

1963: Fellini over Tony Richardson for 8 1/2

1964: Dr. Strangelove, or how I learned to stop Worrying and Love the Bomb over My Fair Lady, with Sellers over Harrison

1966: Michaelangelo Antonioni for Blow-Up

1967: Bonnie and Clyde over The Heat of the Night, with Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate over Rod Steiger, and Faye Dunaway over Katharine Hepburn in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

1969: Kubrick for 2001: A Space Odyssey

1969: Z+ over Midnight Cowboy, with Dustin Hoffmann over John Wayne in True Grit+

1970: Five Easy Pieces over Patton

1971: The Last Picture Show over The French Connection

1973: Cries and Whispers over The Sting

1974: Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence over Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

1975: Barry Lyndon over One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Isabelle Adjani in The Story of Adele H over Louis Fletcher

1976: All the President's Men over Rocky, with Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver over Peter Finch in Network

1979: Apocalypse Now over Kramer vs. Kramer, with Peter Sellers in Being There over Hoffmann.

1980: Tess over Ordinary People

1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark over Chariots of Fire

1982: Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria over Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice

1983: The Right Stuff over Terms of Endearment, with Jane Alexander in Testament over Shirley MacClaine. Ingmar Bergman for best director for Fanny and Alexander

1984: The Killing Fields over Amadeus

1985: Probably Jack Nicholson in Prizzi's Honor but definitely someone over William Hurt in Kiss of the Spider Woman Akira Kurosawa for best director for Ran over Sydney Pollack for Out of Africa

1986: The Mission over Platoon, Sigourney Weaver in Aliens over Marlee Maitlin in Children of a Lesser God

1988: Dangerous Liasons over Rain Man, with Charles Crichton for best director for A Fish Called Wanda over Barry Levinson for Rain Man

1989: Born on the fourth of July over Driving Miss Daisy, with Jessica Lange in The Music Box over Jessica Tandy, with Tom Cruise over Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot, but with Kenneth Branagh as best director for Henry V over Stone.

1990: Goodfellas over Dances with Wolves

1991: JFK over The Silence of the Lambs

1992: The Crying Game over Unforgiven, Stephen Rea in The Crying Game over Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman

1993: Anthony Hopkins in The Remains of the Day over Tom Hanks in Philadelphia

1994: Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump, with Travolta over Hanks

1995: Babe over Braveheart, with Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking over Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas

1996: Secrets and Lies over The English Patient

1997: L.A. Confidential over Titanic, with Atom Egoyan as best director for The Sweet Hereafter

1998: Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare in Love, with Terrence Malick as best director for The Thin Red Line

1999: The Insider over American Beauty

2000: Erin Brokavich over The Gladiator

2001: The Fellowship of the Ring over A Beautiful Mind, Tom Wilkinson in In the Bedroom over Denzel Washington in Training Day, with David Lynch as best director for Mulholland Drive

2002: The Pianist over Chicago, with Diane Lane in Unfaitful over Nicole Kidman in The Hours

2003: Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean over Sean Penn in Mystic River, with Samantha Morton in In America over Charlize Theron in Monster

2004: The Aviator over Million Dollar Baby, Don Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda over Jamie Foxx in Ray and Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake over Hilary Swank.

2005: Capote and quite frankly, almost anything over Crash

2007: There will be Blood over No Country for old Men, Julie Christie in Away from Her over Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose

2008: Anne Hathway in Rachel Getting Married over Kate Winslett in The Reader

2010: Toy Story 3 over The King's Speech, Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network over Colin Firth, and with David Fincher as best director.

Edited by: skimpole on Mar 5, 2011 3:28 AM

Best Picture only and only what was nominated each year. Any years not commented on are: 1) Selections I am fine with or 2) years with a slate of films that don't matter or 3) I just don't really care any which way (most commonly it's the latter two, particularly #2, than the former.)

1927/1928 - Seventh Heaven

1931 - I don't lean to any in particular; the Lubitsch, Vidor, and Sternberg films are fine.

1932 - A Farewell to Arms

1938 - Grand Illusion

1939 - Stagecoach

1941 - I'm perfectly fine with How Green Was My Valley winning this year.

1942 - The Magnificent Ambersons

1948 - The Red Shoes

1949 - A Letter to Three Wives

1952 - The Quiet Man

1959 - Anatomy of a Murder

1963 - America, America

1967 - The Graduate

1970 - Five Easy Pieces

1971 - The Last Picture Show

1973 - Cries and Whispers

1974 - The Conversation

1975 - Barry Lyndon

1976 - Taxi Driver

1979 - Apocalypse Now

1980 - Raging Bull, Tess, or The Elephant Man would be fine.

1986 - Hannah and Her Sisters

1990 - Goodfellas

1991 - JFK or Beauty and the Beast

1996 - Fargo

1997 - L.A. Confidential

1998 - The Thin Red Line

1999 - The Insider

2001 - Gosford Park

2002 - Gangs of New York or The Pianist

2004 - Mystic River

2005 - All four are absolutely better than Crash.

2010 - The Social Network