Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vic Morrow

newclassicfilmfan

Vic Morrow would have been 82 years old today - Feb. 14th. Just wanted to make a thread for him today. He was a great actor, albeit very underated. He should have been a "lead" in film, but it never happened. I think he was primarily into made for t.v. movies and guest appearances in many t.v. shows after doing the show COMBAT for which is mostly known for. I saw him guest star in an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode and also in an old "Elliot Ness" episode and he also did several "Bonanza" shows. I think he was a terrific "method" actor - very intense. He played the "bad guy" roles better than anyone. I'm surprised that he didn't get nominated for an award for his performance in Blackboard Jungle and that his career didn't skyrocket after that. Anyone else see him in any other films?

One of my favorite actors. Glad to be able to have the chance to remember and discuss him on a special thread devoted to him. I'd love to see that link to the trailer for Portrait of a Mobster. Can you post it? I've never seen that film before. I like him a lot in Blackboard Jungle. Interestingly, he was 26 years old when he played that bad student Artie West and he pulled it off exceptionally well. He was also quite good in "Men in War" and also a made for t.v. movie called "Glass House". For me, he will always remain "Sargeant Saunders" from the COMBAT! t.v. series. He was made for that role. He had that whole macho, "cool" thing going on. That show holds up well 45+ years later, and Vic Morrow was outstanding in that show. I wish he would have continued to do more movie roles instead of reverting to t.v. Thanks for this thread. One of the best actors that really never got his due. He never relied on "charm" to get him by, he just gave consistently GREAT performances throughout his career. I believe he only gave 1 t.v. interview in his career. A phenomenal actor who we lost too soon - thank goodness we still have his movies/t.v. programs to watch. I'd like if someone can post some photos of him on this thread. Outstanding talent.

Ever see A MAN CALLED SLEDGE, a spaghetti western that Morrow directed? James Garner told "Playboy" that it was his worst film, calling it "Sludge" instead. It's neither, rather it's an enjoyable if typically nihilistic SW that is well worth catching.

A great actor. One of the best. Enjoyed him in Blackboard Jungle, but especially in the Combat television show. I'd like to see him get a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. He never got to meet his full potential, but from the work I saw, he was a phenomenal actor. I hope that TCM can highlight his work someday. Nice to have a thread devoted to him. Thanks!

I agree. I wish TCM could show more of his films. They show Blackboard Jungle from time to time. He made some other films which aren't shown very often. I can't find some of them on DVD either. I thought he could have been nominated for an award for Blackboard Jungle. Maybe it was because he was new to movies at that time and so he wasn't nominated. He was really quite frightening playing that character Artie West in Blackboard Jungle, but then a few years later, he was really good-looking when he played in the COMBAT television series. I liked him, there was something quite handsome and macho looking about him, sort of that craggy look, but I think a lot of men watched COMBAT and the women also watched it back then mostly to see Vic Morrow, I know I did.

Edited by: newclassicfilmfan on Feb 20, 2011 10:02 PM

newclasssicfilm fan, I don't think TCM will ever highlight his films because they either don't have enough of his films to show or because he was never the "lead" in any films. Secondly, some of his films like Hells Five Hours, Portrait of a Mobster, Men in War and several others, seem to be films that TCM doesn't have in their library. I can't find some of his films on DVD. I wonder why they have disappeared and can't be located? If you buy the box set of COMBAT, that should give you lots to view. I can watch that program without ever getting tired of it. I would have loved to see Morrow do more film, but I think his shining moment was the COMBAT t.v. series. He was awesome in that.

If TCM has more of his films, other than Blackboard Jungle and Cimarron, I'd love to see a day devoted, or even a 1/2 day, to see some of his lesser shown films.

Edited by: movielover11 on Feb 22, 2011 7:02 AM