Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChorusGirl

Films impossible to find

I have an ongoing list of movies I cannot find anywhere...no vhs, no dvd, not on cable, not on you tube, not streaming on the net...just locked away in some vault collecting dust.

Interested to know what other people's "holy grails" are. Some of mine are pretty obscure, which makes me want to see them that much more...

*Girls About Town* (Kay Francis)

*M* (the 1951 remake)

*Doctor X* (the alternate b&w version)

*Mata Hari* (Garbo...uncensored version)

*The Letter* (Jeanne Eagles version)

*The Bowery* (George Raft)

*Bolero* (Carole Lombard)

*Man In The Dark* (a 3D film noir!)

*An American Tragedy* (Josef von Sternberg)

*Broadway Bad* (Ginger Rogers)

*Lady In The Dark* (Ginger Rogers)

*Now I'll Tell* (Spencer Tracy...and Shirley Temple!)

My Holy Grails (which may be out there somewhere, but if so, I'm unaware of it):

Beyond the Forest (Bette Davis Joseph Cotton)

The Monte Carlo Story (Marlene Dietrich and Vittorio deSica)

Red Dust (Jean Harlow and Clark Gable)

Love Among the Ruins (Katharine Hepburn and Lawrence Olivier--I know it's out there; I just haven't found a copy)

Martin Roumagnac w/ English subtitles (Jean Gabin and Marlene Dietrich)

I've got at least 3 movies I would like to find. Strangely, 2 were on TCM recently but I didn't get a chance to record them. The movies are:1. Winter Meeting(1948) Bette Davis

2. Gambling House(1951) Victor Mature

3. Beyond the Forest(1949) Bette Davis

I've got about 200 classic film from the late 30s to early 50s recorded on DVD and would trade.

I would very much like to see La Region Centrale and Stan Brakhage's Art of Vision. Any advice on how to get them would be much appreciated.

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}

> My Holy Grails (which may be out there somewhere, but if so, I'm unaware of it):

>

> Beyond the Forest (Bette Davis Joseph Cotton)

> The Monte Carlo Story (Marlene Dietrich and Vittorio deSica)

> Red Dust (Jean Harlow and Clark Gable)

> Love Among the Ruins (Katharine Hepburn and Lawrence Olivier--I know it's out there; I just haven't found a copy)

> Martin Roumagnac w/ English subtitles (Jean Gabin and Marlene Dietrich)

I believe I have Red Dust stashed away in my monster recorded movies collection but I'm almost certain it'll be released shortly in the Jean Harlow set everyone's dieing to hear more news about.

TOP 10 HOLY GRAIL...

Thelma Todd @ First National (THE HAUNTED HOUSE; HOUSE OF HORRORS; SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN)

THE CAT CREEPS (Universal, 1930)

THE GORILLA (First National, 1930)

DEVIL'S MATE (Monogram, 1933)

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (Fox, 1933)

THE MONKEY'S PAW (RKO, 1933)

TRICK FOR TRICK (Fox, 1933)

RETURN OF THE TERROR (First National, 1934)

Fay Wray @ Universal (MADAME SPY; CHEATING CHEATERS; THE COUNTESS OF MONTE CRISTO)

NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (Universal, 1935)

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> TOP 10 HOLY GRAIL...

>

> Thelma Todd @ First National (THE HAUNTED HOUSE; HOUSE OF HORRORS; SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN)

> THE CAT CREEPS (Universal, 1930)

> THE GORILLA (First National, 1930)

> DEVIL'S MATE (Monogram, 1933)

> IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (Fox, 1933)

> THE MONKEY'S PAW (RKO, 1933)

> TRICK FOR TRICK (Fox, 1933)

> RETURN OF THE TERROR (First National, 1934)

> Fay Wray @ Universal (MADAME SPY; CHEATING CHEATERS; THE COUNTESS OF MONTE CRISTO)

> NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (Universal, 1935)

YES...*The Cat Creeps*...count me in for that. I JUST saw some brief footage of it this past weekend, in a documentary about Universal Horror.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> I have an ongoing list of movies I cannot find anywhere...no vhs, no dvd, not on cable, not on you tube, not streaming on the net...just locked away in some vault collecting dust.

>

> Interested to know what other people's "holy grails" are. Some of mine are pretty obscure, which makes me want to see them that much more...

>

> *Girls About Town* (Kay Francis)

> *M* (the 1951 remake)

> *Doctor X* (the alternate b&w version)

> *Mata Hari* (Garbo...uncensored version)

> *The Letter* (Jeanne Eagles version)

> *The Bowery* (George Raft)

> *Bolero* (Carole Lombard)

> *Man In The Dark* (a 3D film noir!)

> *An American Tragedy* (Josef von Sternberg)

> *Broadway Bad* (Ginger Rogers)

> *Lady In The Dark* (Ginger Rogers)

> *Now I'll Tell* (Spencer Tracy...and Shirley Temple!)

MATA HARI exists in an unedited form, however the only known print is in an archive in Belgium.

The last I heard Warners was in negotiations with the archive in order to repatriate it. I presume that it might take a while.

THE BOWERY has run from time to time on the Fox Movie Channel.

I believe that there may be some sort of rights issues that are keeping THE LETTER from being shown.

If I understand it correctly, the b/w version of DR.X is just a copy of the two color Technicolor version. The color version was thought to be lost for many years until a print was found and restored by UCLA in the 1980s.

I have a copy of BOLERO from when it ran on AMC back in the 1980s, but I don't think anyone has run it since. The good news is that since TCM is working with Universal (the current owners of it), maybe it will get a digital master made and get an airing on TCM . The same with AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, it's owned by Universal, so maybe some day... I never thought that TCM would ever show THIS IS THE NIGHT and CITY STREETS, I hadn't seen them on TV since they were broadcast by Z Channel in the late 1980s, but they made it to TCM last month, so you never know what will eventually get shown.

Fox owns BROADWAY BAD, but has yet to show it on FMC. LADY IN THE DARK is a Paramount film owned by Universal, so, who knows when that will make it out.

Fox also owns NOW I'LL TELL, but I don't know if that has ever run on FMC.

My "holy grail" films would be:

SECRETS OF THE FRENCH POLICE (1932), an RKO film with Frank Morgan as a detective.

BAD COMPANY (1931) an RKO/Pathe gangster film with Ricardo Cortez,Helen Twelvetrees and

Harry Carey.

ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) Ray Milland

HER MAJESTY, LOVE (1931) Marilyn Miller, Ben Lyon & W.C. Fields

THE GANG BUSTER (1931) Jack Oakie

NO LIMIT (1931) Clara Bow

THE FOREST RANGERS (1942) Fred MacMurray, Susan Hayward, Paulette Goddard

NIGHT WORLD (1931) Lew Ayres, Boris Karloff

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934) Claude Raines

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935) Claude Raines

FOLLOW THRU (1930) Buddy Rogers (I think there are rights issues with this one :( )

I've got lots more, but this is a good start. :D

I found a movie I've been looking for for 27 years. I saw *Fedora* on Amazon.com on sale on VHS. It set me back $37, but it was worth it. It kind of helps that this is a relative recient film, (1978, I got a thing for the 70's, besides this was Billy Wilder's penultimate film.)

I found *Buddy Buddy*, His last movie on the same site for around $30. From what I've heard about it I'm saving my money.

*Beyond the Forest* is tied up with rights issues.

The 1951 M is available from Nostalgia Family Video and Movies Unlimited. The MGM/UA videotape of Beyond the Forest is available from Amazon Marketplace sellers at $17.79 and up.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

>

> My "holy grail" films would be:

>

> SECRETS OF THE FRENCH POLICE (1932), an RKO film with Frank Morgan as a detective.

>

> BAD COMPANY (1931) an RKO/Pathe gangster film with Ricardo Cortez,Helen Twelvetrees and

> Harry Carey.

>

> ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) Ray Milland

>

> HER MAJESTY, LOVE (1931) Marilyn Miller, Ben Lyon & W.C. Fields

>

> THE GANG BUSTER (1931) Jack Oakie

>

> NO LIMIT (1931) Clara Bow

>

> THE FOREST RANGERS (1942) Fred MacMurray, Susan Hayward, Paulette Goddard

>

> NIGHT WORLD (1931) Lew Ayres, Boris Karloff

>

> THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934) Claude Raines

>

> THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935) Claude Raines

>

> FOLLOW THRU (1930) Buddy Rogers (I think there are rights issues with this one :( )

>

> I've got lots more, but this is a good start. :D

*Night World* used to be on my Holy Grail list (busby berkeley AND Karloff...two birds with one stone)...but I was able to buy a DVD on eBay (I see that seller is now deleted...perhaps carted off to jail for selling movies that the studio would rather just do absolutely nothing with? :)

*Her Majesty Love* was on TCM a billion years ago. They did all the 3 Marilyn Miller films in a row. A fascinating--if not necessarily good--film.

I am encouraged by TCM's alliance with Universal. I never thought I'd find *Zoo In Budapest*...but sure enough there it was on TCM, buried at 2am a few months ago.

Yes, I hope that a few more Paramount and Universal films make their way to TCM with this deal. :)

I was also very pleased to see ZOO IN BUDAPEST turn up on TCM. I had never seen it before and It was a pleasant surprise!

*The MGM/UA videotape of Beyond the Forest is available from Amazon Marketplace sellers at $17.79 and up.*

Dan,

It's rights issues revolve the Abend Decision of 1990 which is keeping *Forest* from airing on TCM and from coming to DVD.

The VHS tape is the best bet until Warner's is able to get this cleared.

I know about the rights issues--I was just mentioning that the tape is available. Warner has recently worked out the rights issues for The Constant Nymph and Night Flight, so maybe they can clear Beyond the Forest.

Most of the ones listed here plus a few others:

"Black Jack" 1951= George Sanders, Herbert Marshall

"The Great Gatsby" 1926 and 1949 Warner Baxter, Alan Ladd

"Napoleon" 1927= Abel Gance the complete restored version

"Swiss Family Robinson" 1941=Thomas Mitchell

This list is just for Starters.

*EAST IS WEST (1922) Constance Talmadge*

*THE SPANISH DANCER (1923) Pola Negri, Antonio Moreno. Directed by Herbert Brenon.*

*ZAZA (1923) Gloria Swanson*

*HIS HOUR (1924) John Gilbert, Aileen Pringle. Written by Elinor Glyn. Directed by King Vidor.*

*BUTTERFLY (1924) Laura La Plante, Norman Kerry, Margaret Sullivan. Directed by Clarence Brown.*

*POISONED PARADISE (1924) Clara Bow, Kenneth Harlan*

*THE PERFCT FLAPPER (1924) Colleen Moore, Sydny Chaplin, Phyllis Haver.*

*MOUSIER BEAUCAIRE (1924) Rudolph Valentino, Bebe Daniels, Madge Bellamy, Lois Wilson, Lowe Sherman.*

*THREE WOMEN (1924) Pauline Frederick, Adolphe Menjou, May McAvoy, Marie Prevost. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch.*

*CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927) Clara Bow, Gary Cooper, Esther Ralston. Directed by Frank Lloyd, and Josef' Von Sternberg.*

*HER WILD OAT (1927) Colleen Moore, Lloyd Hughes, George K. Arthur Loretta Young. Directed by Marshall Neilan Restored by the The Acadmey Film Archive at AMPAS in 2006. Long considerd lost.*

*FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928) Ramon Novarro, Renee Adoree. Directed by Harry Beaumont.Discovered in 1997. Long believed lost.*

*TWELVE MILES OUT (1927) John Gilbert, Joan Crawford, Betty Compson, Ernest Torrence.*

*BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK (1926) Marion Davies, Antonio Moreno. (Some scenes are in Two-Color Technicolor.*

*AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925) Eleanor Boardman, Lew Cody, Renee Adoree, Creighton Hale.*

*HER BIG NIGHT (1926) Laura La Plante*

*THE BLOOD SHIP (1927) Hobart Bosworth, Richard Arlen, Jacqueline Logan*

*BLONDE OR BRUNETTE? (1927) Adolphe Menjou, Greta Nissen, Arlette Marchal.*

*THAT MODEL FROM PARIS (1926) Marceline Day*

*THE FLAMING FOREST (1926) Renee Adoree, Antonio Moreno. (Some scenes are in Two-Color Technicolor.)*

*THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD (1926) Janet Gaynor, George O'Brien.*

*THE GARDEN OF ALLAH (1927) Alice Terry, Ivan Petrovich. Directed by Rex Ingram.*

*THE TENDER HOUR (1927) Billie Dove, Ben Lyon*

*A WOMAN DISPUTED (1928) Norma Talmadge, Gilbert Roland.*

*GLORIOUS BETSY (1928) Dolores Costello, Conrad Nagel*

*RAMONA (1928) Dolores Del Rio*

>>Alias Nick Beal is scheduled to run this April when Ray Milland is SOTM....

Is it really? I looked for it, but took solace in finding another long unseen one SO EVIL MY LOVE. My copy of the schedule doesn't list BEAL, but perhaps it has been revised.

*Beyond the Forest* is also available for rental (VHS) at Facets Multimedia.

FYI : You can get The Man Who Reclaimed His Head and Edwin Drood at Ioffer.com. I have to admit the quality of "Man who reclaimed..." was not great, but perhaps that's to be expected -- it's so rare.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> There are a number of differences between the B&W DOCTOR X and the now-available color version.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there were any differences. In that case it would be interesting to see what they are.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > There are a number of differences between the B&W DOCTOR X and the now-available color version.

>

> Thanks, I wasn't sure if there were any differences. In that case it would be interesting to see what they are.

In revival theaters in the 1960s/70s, the only thing people could see was the b&w version...and they hoped for the day the color version would turn up. Now we have the exact opposite problem.

I just found this information at The Classic Horror Film Board, and it does back up what I heard in the past:

"Almost all of DOCTOR X is shot from two different angles - with the same action being shot simultaneously by the b/w and color cameras. The color gets the best angle, the b/w gets a poorer angle. I guess this was for time-saving reasons.

Only when the action is confined or a tracking shot is used, were seperate takes required. If memory serves, in one scene the color camera moves and the b/w take is static.

So I don't think there was a need for many retakes - which would mean Fay remembered correctly. But I'm surprised she didn't remember a second camera on the set.

In any case, the color version is altogether better framed and more dynamic"