Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChorusGirl

Films impossible to find

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Mad66 wrote:}{quote}

> >Question... *How do you get your responses to include the big white box with the text from the >person you are directly responding to ?* ... (like "Scottman wrote: ... )

> >

>

> Click on the quotation marks above the box where you type in your response.

Oh yes ... thank you !

Mad

> {quote:title=Mad66 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=Mad66 wrote:}{quote}

> > >Question... *How do you get your responses to include the big white box with the text from the >person you are directly responding to ?* ... (like "Scottman wrote: ... )

> > >

> >

> > Click on the quotation marks above the box where you type in your response.

> Oh yes ... thank you !

> Mad

>

Hey, it worked!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> I know the guy who created that, and yes, he's a clever guy!

> He did a great job on that, but as I told him last time I saw him, if he wanted to really be authentic and redo the audio on it, I know what the original music was for the opening titles of CONVENTION CITY and if he wanted to do it over using that tune, at least we purists would not be fooled. But then again, how many people would actually know the difference? But I did...

>

> Anyway, the original opening titles music for CONVENTION CITY was the tune "Lonely Lane" written by Sammy Fain & Irving Kahal, introduced by Dick Powell in the Warner Bros. feature COLLEGE COACH which was released the month before CONVENTION CITY. Dick Powell also recorded the song for Brunswick Records. So it was still a current popular song when audiences heard it in CONVENTION CITY.

I LOVE that you know this! I am obsessed with anything regarding *Convention City*. (If you tell me I cant have something, I will not rest till I get it...)

The Film Forum in NYC did a reading of the script about 10 years ago...I would love if they did that at the TCM Film Festival. I'm sure they could find actors who could do the lightning-fast Warners dialogue. The script is in the library at Princeton, for anyone who wants to read it.

Love the mystery regarding this film's disappearance. I know for a while it was believed that Warner ordered all copies distroyed, but apparently that has been questioned in recent years (especially at the Vitaphone Project website). It does seem very odd that not even a trailer exists.

The "teaser trailer" on You Tube really was a great idea.

Any of you movie buffs know what ever happened to "The Blue Angel" from 1959? Much better than the 1930 version but impossible to find.

> {quote:title=JohnnyClay wrote:}{quote}

> Any of you movie buffs know what ever happened to "The Blue Angel" from 1959? Much better than the 1930 version but impossible to find.

FMC is showing the 1959 version at 8 a.m. ET on March 10, although it'll be in the full-screen format.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> > I have an ongoing list of movies I cannot find anywhere...no vhs, no dvd, not on cable, not on you tube, not streaming on the net...just locked away in some vault collecting dust.

> >

> > Interested to know what other people's "holy grails" are. Some of mine are pretty obscure, which makes me want to see them that much more...

> >

> > *Girls About Town* (Kay Francis)

> > *M* (the 1951 remake)

> > *Doctor X* (the alternate b&w version)

> > *Mata Hari* (Garbo...uncensored version)

> > *The Letter* (Jeanne Eagles version)

> > *The Bowery* (George Raft)

> > *Bolero* (Carole Lombard)

> > *Man In The Dark* (a 3D film noir!)

> > *An American Tragedy* (Josef von Sternberg)

> > *Broadway Bad* (Ginger Rogers)

> > *Lady In The Dark* (Ginger Rogers)

> > *Now I'll Tell* (Spencer Tracy...and Shirley Temple!)

>

>

> MATA HARI exists in an unedited form, however the only known print is in an archive in Belgium.

> The last I heard Warners was in negotiations with the archive in order to repatriate it. I presume that it might take a while.

>

> THE BOWERY has run from time to time on the Fox Movie Channel.

>

> I believe that there may be some sort of rights issues that are keeping THE LETTER from being shown.

>

> If I understand it correctly, the b/w version of DR.X is just a copy of the two color Technicolor version. The color version was thought to be lost for many years until a print was found and restored by UCLA in the 1980s.

>

> I have a copy of BOLERO from when it ran on AMC back in the 1980s, but I don't think anyone has run it since. The good news is that since TCM is working with Universal (the current owners of it), maybe it will get a digital master made and get an airing on TCM . The same with AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, it's owned by Universal, so maybe some day... I never thought that TCM would ever show THIS IS THE NIGHT and CITY STREETS, I hadn't seen them on TV since they were broadcast by Z Channel in the late 1980s, but they made it to TCM last month, so you never know what will eventually get shown.

>

> Fox owns BROADWAY BAD, but has yet to show it on FMC. LADY IN THE DARK is a Paramount film owned by Universal, so, who knows when that will make it out.

>

> Fox also owns NOW I'LL TELL, but I don't know if that has ever run on FMC.

>

> My "holy grail" films would be:

>

> SECRETS OF THE FRENCH POLICE (1932), an RKO film with Frank Morgan as a detective.

>

> BAD COMPANY (1931) an RKO/Pathe gangster film with Ricardo Cortez,Helen Twelvetrees and

> Harry Carey.

>

> ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) Ray Milland

>

> HER MAJESTY, LOVE (1931) Marilyn Miller, Ben Lyon & W.C. Fields

>

> THE GANG BUSTER (1931) Jack Oakie

>

> NO LIMIT (1931) Clara Bow

>

> THE FOREST RANGERS (1942) Fred MacMurray, Susan Hayward, Paulette Goddard

>

> NIGHT WORLD (1931) Lew Ayres, Boris Karloff

>

> THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934) Claude Raines

>

> THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935) Claude Raines

>

> FOLLOW THRU (1930) Buddy Rogers (I think there are rights issues with this one :( )

>

> I've got lots more, but this is a good start. :D

I think I have a truly unwatchable copy of No Limit I bought at a flea market on VHS 10+ years ago...

When I see you mention films such as BOLERO...it really makes me kick myself I didn't record more off of AMC than I did...sigh....

I think I had to throw out my copy of ALIAS NICK BEAL years ago, as it had mold on it(ah, the joys of living in Jacksonville Florida!) I'll look though...must have gotten it off of AMC, TNT never ran Paramount films....did they?

the copy TCM ran of HER MAJESTY, LOVE was surprisingly good...wonder why they don't run that more often???

I'd love to get a decent copy of Sitting Pretty, not the Clifton Webb film, the Ginger Rogers Pre code.

Oh, has anyone mentioned the film.....Convention City??? ;)

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > I know the guy who created that, and yes, he's a clever guy!

> > He did a great job on that, but as I told him last time I saw him, if he wanted to really be authentic and redo the audio on it, I know what the original music was for the opening titles of CONVENTION CITY and if he wanted to do it over using that tune, at least we purists would not be fooled. But then again, how many people would actually know the difference? But I did...

> >

> > Anyway, the original opening titles music for CONVENTION CITY was the tune "Lonely Lane" written by Sammy Fain & Irving Kahal, introduced by Dick Powell in the Warner Bros. feature COLLEGE COACH which was released the month before CONVENTION CITY. Dick Powell also recorded the song for Brunswick Records. So it was still a current popular song when audiences heard it in CONVENTION CITY.

>

>

> *I LOVE that you know this! I am obsessed with anything regarding *Convention City*. (If you tell me I cant have something, I will not rest till I get it...)*>

> The Film Forum in NYC did a reading of the script about 10 years ago...I would love if they did that at the TCM Film Festival. I'm sure they could find actors who could do the lightning-fast Warners dialogue. The script is in the library at Princeton, for anyone who wants to read it.

>

> Love the mystery regarding this film's disappearance. I know for a while it was believed that Warner ordered all copies distroyed, but apparently that has been questioned in recent years (especially at the Vitaphone Project website). It does seem very odd that not even a trailer exists.

>

> The "teaser trailer" on You Tube really was a great idea.

>

ChorusGirl said...

**I LOVE that you know this! I am obsessed with anything regarding Convention City. (If you tell me I can't have something, I will not rest till I get it...)*

*Hey, let me know when you find a copy!

CONVENTION CITY is also one of my favorites to research and collect stuff on. I have several original stills and other material such as original reviews, etc.

*The Film Forum in NYC did a reading of the script about 10 years ago*

..**I've been to many pre-code film series at The Film Forum over many years, but sorry couldn't make that one.

*Love the mystery regarding this film's disappearance. I know for a while it was believed that Warner ordered all copies destroyed, but apparently that has been questioned in recent years (especially at the Vitaphone Project website). It does seem very odd that not even a trailer exists.*

Speaking of the trailer, here's some more CONVENTION CITY trivia for you: a listing of all the music heard in the original 1933 trailer:

1. Untitled original composition (credited to "Staff").

2. Lonely Lane (Irving Kahal and Sammy Fain).

3. Original (untitled) by M.K. Jerome.

4. Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here (Sullivan).

5. Original (untitled) by M.K. Jerome.

*The "teaser trailer" on You Tube really was a great idea.*

That was actually an attempt to recreate what the opening titles & credits might have looked like, not the trailer.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

>

> If I understand it correctly, the b/w version of DR.X is just a copy of the two color Technicolor version. The color version was thought to be lost for many years until a print was found and restored by UCLA in the 1980s.

>

Not quite....later b&w prints (such as what may have circulated on 16mm prior to the color restoration) may have been created from a color print, but the film was originally shot twice back when it was made, a second time with a black & white film camera because back then they weren't able to simply "create" black & white prints from the Technicolor versions.....it simply didn't work. They couldn't do that, hence the reason it was shot a second time/simultaneously with a b&w camera. I recall seeing the movie in old 16mm rental catalogs back in the 70's and early 80's, with two listings and two rental prices for the b&w and color versions...but it's hard to say if those b&w prints were from the alternate b&w shoot or simply created from the color prints of the time.

> {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JohnnyClay wrote:}{quote}

> > Any of you movie buffs know what ever happened to "The Blue Angel" from 1959? Much better than the 1930 version but impossible to find.

>

> FMC is showing the 1959 version at 8 a.m. ET on March 10, although it'll be in the full-screen format.

Thanks very much, Dan. I haven't seen it in at least 40 years. Now I have to find FMC - I don't watch much TV. Any idea why it isn't sold retail?

I wonder when AMC went commercial, what happened to all the greath classic movies they had? They played quite a bit of the Paramount and Universal films. TCM has been shwoing them but not as much as they should by now.

> {quote:title=JohnnyClay wrote:}{quote}

>

> Thanks very much, Dan. I haven't seen it in at least 40 years. Now I have to find FMC - I don't watch much TV. Any idea why it isn't sold retail?

I'm not sure--Fox might have gotten around to releasing it had they kept releasing DVD's of classic films at the rate they were going, but after 2008 they largely quit releasing older titles. I don't think the film has rights issues that are keeping it off home video.

Scottman wrote:

ChorusGirl wrote:

I have an ongoing list of movies I cannot find anywhere...no vhs, no dvd, not on cable, not on you tube, not streaming on the net...just locked away in some vault collecting dust.

Interested to know what other people's "holy grails" are. Some of mine are pretty obscure, which makes me want to see them that much more...

Girls About Town (Kay Francis)

M (the 1951 remake)

Doctor X (the alternate b&w version)

Mata Hari (Garbo...uncensored version)

The Letter (Jeanne Eagles version)

The Bowery (George Raft)

Bolero (Carole Lombard)

Man In The Dark (a 3D film noir!)

An American Tragedy (Josef von Sternberg)

Broadway Bad (Ginger Rogers)

Lady In The Dark (Ginger Rogers)

Now I'll Tell (Spencer Tracy...and Shirley Temple!)

MATA HARI exists in an unedited form, however the only known print is in an archive in Belgium.

The last I heard Warners was in negotiations with the archive in order to repatriate it. I presume that it might take a while.

THE BOWERY has run from time to time on the Fox Movie Channel.

I believe that there may be some sort of rights issues that are keeping THE LETTER from being shown.

If I understand it correctly, the b/w version of DR.X is just a copy of the two color Technicolor version. The color version was thought to be lost for many years until a print was found and restored by UCLA in the 1980s.

I have a copy of BOLERO from when it ran on AMC back in the 1980s, but I don't think anyone has run it since. The good news is that since TCM is working with Universal (the current owners of it), maybe it will get a digital master made and get an airing on TCM . The same with AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, it's owned by Universal, so maybe some day... I never thought that TCM would ever show THIS IS THE NIGHT and CITY STREETS, I hadn't seen them on TV since they were broadcast by Z Channel in the late 1980s, but they made it to TCM last month, so you never know what will eventually get shown.

Fox owns BROADWAY BAD, but has yet to show it on FMC. LADY IN THE DARK is a Paramount film owned by Universal, so, who knows when that will make it out.

Fox also owns NOW I'LL TELL, but I don't know if that has ever run on FMC.

My "holy grail" films would be:

SECRETS OF THE FRENCH POLICE (1932), an RKO film with Frank Morgan as a detective.

BAD COMPANY (1931) an RKO/Pathe gangster film with Ricardo Cortez,Helen Twelvetrees and

Harry Carey.

ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) Ray Milland

HER MAJESTY, LOVE (1931) Marilyn Miller, Ben Lyon & W.C. Fields

THE GANG BUSTER (1931) Jack Oakie

NO LIMIT (1931) Clara Bow

THE FOREST RANGERS (1942) Fred MacMurray, Susan Hayward, Paulette Goddard

NIGHT WORLD (1931) Lew Ayres, Boris Karloff

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934) Claude Raines

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935) Claude Raines

FOLLOW THRU (1930) Buddy Rogers (I think there are rights issues with this one

My response:

The following films are available via DVD-R from an online vendor at vintagefilmbuff.com:

Girls About Town (Kay Francis)

Bolero (Carole Lombard)

Broadway Bad (Ginger Rogers)

NO LIMIT (1931) Clara Bow

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935) Claude Raines

This site mainly deals in the forgotten gems of Paramount, Universal, Fox, and United Artists. I've ordered from them for over three years and never been disappointed with what I received. The DVD-R's are not a complete restoration, but they are cleaned up pretty well and the sound is pretty good on everything I've bought so far.

The following are out there on DVD-R from a different reputable source if you know speciifically who to contact for a good copy.

The Letter (Jeanne Eagles version)

An American Tragedy (Josef von Sternberg)

Now I'll Tell (Spencer Tracy...and Shirley Temple!)

NIGHT WORLD (1931) Lew Ayres, Boris Karloff

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD (1934) Claude Raines

This person does not openly advertise online so I'm not revealing his/her contact info in an open forum for all the world to see.

*I wonder when AMC went commercial, what happened to all the greath classic movies they had? They played quite a bit of the Paramount and Universal films.*

AMC did not own the films. They were leased from the studios and distributors so the films are still owned by those entities, not AMC.

*TCM has been shwoing them but not as much as they should by now.*

The problem is the lack of digital broadcast masters. When AMC was still American Movie Classics, videotape was still the broadcast format and had been for over thirty years.

In the early to mid-2000s, all networks began migrating to digital servers in anticipation of the federal government edict to move from analog to digital signals.

Now, the studios and distributors have to provide digital broadcast masters and since the technology is only about 10 years old, it will take time and money to migrate their film libraries to digital.

Plus, the warehouse fire that Universal had a few years ago destroyed not only prints and recording masters that were stored there but videotape and digital masters that were stored there as well.

Here's a film no one has mentioned that seems to have fallen through the cracks. It was nominated for a best picture "oscar" in 1934. You can't even find it for sale in Classic Images among advertisers. The film I am writing about is THE WHITE PARADE. Made at Fox Film. Does anyone out there know what became of this movie?

WAS MY FACE RED is part of the active RKO library. I'm sure TCM will plug it in at some point. THE BOWERY ran within the last year - don't remember if it was on TCM or FMC.

I don't recall if it is held up because of rights issues, but THE SILVER CORD (1934) hasn't been on TCM. I haven't seen this one since it ran on AMC in the 1980s.

Does anyone know if THE SILVER STREAK (1934) has in the past few years? I know it ran at least once in the past 8 or 9 years (I missed it then) and keeping on the railroad theme, I would love to see DANGER LIGHTS (1930) again. I think the last time it ran was when Jean Arthur was STOM.

> {quote:title=RayFaiola wrote:}{quote}

> SILVER CORD has been on TCM. So has SILVER HORDE!

Thanks Ray, I couldn't recall ever seeing a listing for THE SILVER CORD. It's good to know it has been run before. Maybe it will turn up again some time. :)

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> TOP 10 HOLY GRAIL...

>

> Thelma Todd @ First National (THE HAUNTED HOUSE; HOUSE OF HORRORS; SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN)

> THE CAT CREEPS (Universal, 1930)

> THE GORILLA (First National, 1930)

> DEVIL'S MATE (Monogram, 1933)

> IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (Fox, 1933)

> THE MONKEY'S PAW (RKO, 1933)

> TRICK FOR TRICK (Fox, 1933)

> RETURN OF THE TERROR (First National, 1934)

> Fay Wray @ Universal (MADAME SPY; CHEATING CHEATERS; THE COUNTESS OF MONTE CRISTO)

> NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (Universal, 1935)

Just FYI. I became a little obsessed with *Return of the Terror* after seeing your list and researching it a bit. I posted a question about it on the Warner Archive facebook page, and just got an answer.

Sure enough...tied up with rights issues. But they are working on it!

Just a couple on my list

The Way of All Flesh (1927)

I know it's a lost film but I kind of hope maybe it crops up somewhere.

Here Comes the Navy (1934)

"Here Comes the Navy" was on TCM just a year or two ago, maybe even more recently. I taped it -- and it's fun.

There's one Disney film that seems to be "lost" that I think would have little DVD market value but would be a perfect treat for something like the summer Funday Night at the Movies:

Emil & The Detectives.

Does anyone here know why that movie has been inaccessible for the past 50 odd years?