Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films impossible to find

> {quote:title=talkietime wrote:}{quote}

> Recent TCM showings of Here Comes The Navy (1934) include those of 2/17/2011, 5/19/2008, 1/24/2008, 12/12/2007 and 7/17/2006.

How did I possibly miss all of those?...It seems to play every 4-5 months or so...

I will have to keep a better eye out for it

Most of the Fox films (pre 1935) are almost impossible to find. The Fox Movie Channel rarely shows any of their pre 20th Century Fox films. TCM will show a Fox film once in a while. Otherwise, the only time there might be one showing is at a film festival.

I would love to see Goldie with Jean Harlow. I'd also like to see some of Spencer Tracy's Fox films such as "Quick Millions". In addition I'd enjoy seeing some of the Janet Gaynor/Charles Farrell Fox films such as "High Society Blues", "Merely Mary Ann", "Tess Of The Storm Country" and "The First Year". These films are still in existence somewhere in mothballs collecting dust.

*Most of the Fox films (pre 1935) are almost impossible to find. The Fox Movie Channel rarely shows any of their pre 20th Century Fox films. TCM will show a Fox film once in a while. Otherwise, the only time there might be one showing is at a film festival.*

*I would love to see Goldie with Jean Harlow. I'd also like to see some of Spencer Tracy's Fox films such as "Quick Millions". In addition I'd enjoy seeing some of the Janet Gaynor/Charles Farrell Fox films such as "High Society Blues", "Merely Mary Ann", "Tess Of The Storm Country" and "The First Year". These films are still in existence somewhere in mothballs collecting dust.*

Amen to that. And while we're at it, there are MANY post-merger 20th century Fox films that TCM does NOT show, or aren't on video . . . from 1935 well into the late 50s (my interest basically ends by the early 60s).

"50 years"? Disney had it out on VHS years ago....try searching around the internet and you'll find video rips people have uploaded.

There also have been several other versions of the story other than the Disney film.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> *Most of the Fox films (pre 1935) are almost impossible to find. The Fox Movie Channel rarely shows any of their pre 20th Century Fox films. TCM will show a Fox film once in a while. Otherwise, the only time there might be one showing is at a film festival.*

> *I would love to see Goldie with Jean Harlow. I'd also like to see some of Spencer Tracy's Fox films such as "Quick Millions". In addition I'd enjoy seeing some of the Janet Gaynor/Charles Farrell Fox films such as "High Society Blues", "Merely Mary Ann", "Tess Of The Storm Country" and "The First Year". These films are still in existence somewhere in mothballs collecting dust.*

>

> Amen to that. And while we're at it, there are MANY post-merger 20th century Fox films that TCM does NOT show, or aren't on video . . . from 1935 well into the late 50s (my interest basically ends by the early 60s).

I'd kill for copies of TRICK FOR TRICK (1933) and IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (1933).

*I'd kill for copies of TRICK FOR TRICK (1933) and IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (1933).*

Let's hope if, and when they are released, you haven't been locked up for making 'terrorist threats" or committing murder, and therefore unable to purchase and/or watch them. I'm thinking that if they're shown on TCM or FMC, somehow those channels won't be the viewing of preference in the rec room of the "big house" that's now your residence.

Edited by: Arturo on Mar 4, 2011 6:57 PM

• 2 weeks later...

I can chime in on 2 of these titles.

Doctor X---the B&W version is different from the Technicolor version. I've got both on VHS

and while much of the film is the same, there are different shots & slightly different lines used

in some places.

It's a very interesting experience to watch them back to back. I'd love it if they released a special 2 disc DVD of them together.

As for Night Life of the Gods, UCLA did restore it several years ago and I have watched a poor quality copy of the film (this was over 10 years ago that I watched it) but it was not anywhere near a s good as the Thorne Smith novel it's adapated from.

Michael

• 10 months later...

I have been searching everywhere and requesting on TCM for the 1956 western starring Frank Sinatra titled "JOHNNY CONCHO". Does anyone have any information on the status of this movie? I'm beginning to wonder if Frank Sinatra may not have been pleased with this movie and maybe purchased the rights and destroyed all copies. I hope that isn't the case, but I have to wonder. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the owner of the rights is wasting an opportunity to produce and distribute the movie.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > TOP 10 HOLY GRAIL...

> >

> > Thelma Todd @ First National (THE HAUNTED HOUSE; HOUSE OF HORRORS; SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN)

> > THE CAT CREEPS (Universal, 1930)

> > THE GORILLA (First National, 1930)

> > DEVIL'S MATE (Monogram, 1933)

> > IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE (Fox, 1933)

> > THE MONKEY'S PAW (RKO, 1933)

> > TRICK FOR TRICK (Fox, 1933)

> > RETURN OF THE TERROR (First National, 1934)

> > Fay Wray @ Universal (MADAME SPY; CHEATING CHEATERS; THE COUNTESS OF MONTE CRISTO)

> > NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (Universal, 1935)

> >

> YES...*The Cat Creeps*...count me in for that. I JUST saw some brief footage of it this past weekend, in a documentary about Universal Horror.

>

1930's "The Cat Creeps is a lost film. There are fragments that were edited into a short. Speaking of rare films, has anyone ever seen 1930's Divorce Among Friends televised? It's on youtube in its entirety and cleverly hidden so the copyright police - you know, the guys who own the film but refuse to do anything about releasing it to the public - can't find it. It's in a very fuzzy state which makes me believe that if it was ever televised it must have been 30 years ago.

I bring this up every time this topic arises, and I will keep doing so til I find it.

My whole life my mother has been telling me about this movie she loves called *WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD* with George Pappard and Mary Tyler Moore. Does it exist anywhere? Not that I've been able to find. Anyone have any clues on how we can view this film?

• Like 1

Cody - There are currently two used copies for sale on Amazon. Not cheap, I warn you.

Speaking of Fredric March, I was thrilled when The Eagle and the Hawk (1933) was released as part of the early-Cary Grant vault set. Now I'm (rather impatiently) yearning for The Royal Family of Broadway (1930) and My Sin (1931 . . . with Tallulah Bankhead!). And does anyone know if Ladies Love Brutes (1930) still exists? I'm partial to Mary Astor.

VCI has it out-of-print...it's no longer available through them.

However as someone else pointed out, the entire movie can be found/watched/downloaded on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjtsj_DlrCw

Some sellers have the DVD available on amazon.com.

Sellers also have it on Ebay.

One only needs to take the time to search the internet....

yeah, here is one: THE UNCUT UNCENSORED ORIGINAL VERSION OF MATA HARI WITH GARBO. IT IS AVAILABLE - HAS BEEN SHOWN IN BELGIUM RECENTLY, WHY CAN'T WE HERE IN THE UNITED STATES VIEW THE ORIGINAL VERSION BEFORE MR. HAYS CHOPPED IT UP, AFTER ALL, DEAR ONES, *THIS IS AN AMERICAN FILM FROM MGM!*

> NoraCharles1934 wrote: Another question - has TCM ever aired the Constance Bennett films Lady with a Past (1932) or Bought! (1931)? I believe they are RKO and WB productions, respectively.

Yes, LADY WITH A PAST has aired on TCM recently (I believe last year). I'm not sure if BOUGHT has been shown though.