Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChorusGirl

Films impossible to find

I've seen copies of the 1934 film "Bolero" on line available for purchase.  I once watched Bolero (original) on tv in the early 1980's.  Why won't TCM play this iconic film.  Music, dancing....just one truly classic film!

5 hours ago, Marialana said:

I've seen copies of the 1934 film "Bolero" on line available for purchase.  I once watched Bolero (original) on tv in the early 1980's.  Why won't TCM play this iconic film.  Music, dancing....just one truly classic film!

Universal controls this title, so TCM would have to go to some effort and expense to license it. (Most of the films in this thread are under similar or other constraints.)

UNIVERSAL PICTURES released "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" (1968) in theaters . . . and it's yet to materialize on any legal homevideo format.  I have a copy of it on VHS that I acquired years ago from 'Robert's Rare Videos', a Canadian-based business.  I expect he'd still have it; just go to the website and type in 'George Peppard' under 'Keywords' and it should be there.  I believe his 'source' was a Comedy Central broadcast of it from the mid-1990s.  The quality isn't great, either, but it's watchable.   

I'll have a think about my list of films I can't find.    

18 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

UNIVERSAL PICTURES released "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" (1968) in theaters . . . and it's yet to materialize on any legal homevideo format.  I have a copy of it on VHS that I acquired years ago from 'Robert's Rare Videos', a Canadian-based business.  I expect he'd still have it; just go to the website and type in 'George Peppard' under 'Keywords' and it should be there.  I believe his 'source' was a Comedy Central broadcast of it from the mid-1990s.  The quality isn't great, either, but it's watchable.   

I'll have a think about my list of films I can't find.    

I found that version of it on youtube--copied off Comedy Central onto a grainy VHS tape with the commercial breaks. Better than nothing, hilarious film, glad I could see it at all, but I still want to see a real, legal, restored copy. I guess there's some random reason they can't release it. Someone must own a piece of the copyright that is still alive and holding onto it, like the proverbial Old Man Johnson owning a strip of land he won't let anyone build on or drive across. I have friends in the industry that have told me about movies and TV shows that are in Home Video Limbo for this exact reason. Their exact words were that they are waiting for someone to die. That's Hollywood for you.

That's the version, all right.  It sure doesn't appear the movie has been aired anywhere since then.