Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe you havent noticed that he has changed, just within the last couple of months. Hes cleaned up now. He shaved his beard. He acts more maturely. He now wears very nice looking suits. And he no longer makes rude and offensive jokes about the movies he introduces.

I never thougt he made "rude and offensive jokes about he movies he introduces" in the first place. The only "change" I've noticed is the clean-shaven look - I liked his slightly "indie" looking goatee better.

If he doesn't watch it, I'll have to cancel our as yet unscheduled date at Gus and Motley Crue's before it even begins.

i do not like the lack of

Garbo, Davis, Crawford, Cary Grant, etc., films either, give me a break, why do they not show the films that are not in the Signature Collections of these great stars! show some lesser known films of these people, the TCM will be doing something good for the watchers - how many times can one see Casablanca????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - I will not buy the film because I can see it daily on TCM!

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I have another complaint about complaining. Why do so many people think Ben Mankiewicz is "smug" and "sarcastic" and worst of all, doesn't even like the very films he introduces. I've never gotten that impression about him, and I've watched him hosting the afternoon movies many times. Sure seems to me that he likes what he's talking about. Nor did I ever think he "looked like a slob". Why should someone introducing "classic" movies on a television station wear a suit and tie? Many university professors dress fairly casually, and as long as they come through with good information and background on the film, who cares how they're dressed? Besides, he dressed in, I believe the term is, "business casual".

If you want to see Mankiewicz smug and sarcastic, check him out on The Young Turks. (I won't post a link because of political content, but you can find him on youtube)

I have actually seen him on "The Young Turks", and I guess I can see what you mean. On the other hand, I think people are shifting what he says and what he's like on TYT over to his gig on TCM. They hear his name, think of TYT, and just knee jerk assume that he's the same way on both shows. Not so. I wonder how many people who dislike Mankiewicz because of "The Young Turks" and therefore want him off TCM would feel the same about him if they'd never seen or heard the former show.

Same with Alec Baldwin. People who have heard about his political views and don't like them transfer these ideas about him onto his host show with Robert Osborne on TCM. But in fact I have never heard Baldwin make an overt political statement of any kind on "The Essentials."

Yes, The Young Turks is THE WORST, and you are talking to someone who tilts pretty far to the left himself. I'd sooner watch a 12-hour loop of The 700 Club than that crap any day. I admit it does have something to do with my not being his #1 fan.

I have to admit, I'm busy most Saturday/Sundays, and if and when I do have the chance to catch something inn-terestring on TCM, I tend to mute the Mankiewicz intro/outros while doing the voice of Lenny from Of Mice and Men as he speaks. (Try it sometime, it's fun.)

The reason why I've mostly muted him for some two(ish) years was a weekend showing some time ago of my namesake, Nicolas Ray's weird but great epic western Johnny Guitar. . When it was over, he basically said it wasn't very good and Crawford had no business making a western, Now, I know it's an oddball, esoteric, off-beat movie not for everyone, but um, let's imdb Ben Mankiewicz. Credits as a writer: oh, nothing? Ok, As an actor: oh, a walk-on on The Practice and a couple of other minor credits, Nice. As a director? Oh, more NOTHING,

So where the hell does this nth-rate, charisma-less HACK get off talking smack about ANY movie when he is getting PAID to fill thirty minutes of dead air time by regurgitating the imdb trivia entry for any given film each weekend? Money, I might add, that could damn well be better used by injecting some new blood into the endless line-up of "Usual Suspects" that's been paraded on TCM for the last few years.

And he was awful on At the Movies although he did look semi-professional next to Ben "ask me about my Dad, and send the check in the mail" Lyons,

He has NEVER gotten better at the job, he brings NOTHING to the table (yes, there have been unmuted moments and I'm still singularly unimpressed)- it's like the reason why Arli$$ was on HBO for six seasons: someone is doing someone a favor.

And before anyone gets annoyed at me for spewing me opinions wall-to-wall,let me say: _I ain't getting paid dime one to do it._ I only wish I could say the same for Manksie.

ps- he does look better without the chin **** though, doesn't he?

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Feb 19, 2011 7:52 PM

Spit spit. Venom, venom,

but see: you've got a really good use for the mute button on a channel that doesn't have adverts! that's something...also gives one time to go make a sandwich before the movie starts. i don't care one way or the other, re: mankiewicz or baldwin. i watch *TCM* for the movies. sure, the trivia is nice, but there is imdb and other sites for that. but here i get to watch (and expose my son to) movies that just aren't available, advert free, anywhere else.

btw: may as well put me on your poop list: i don't care for either *Johnny Guitar* or joan crawford (at least most of her work). either young or older, bette davis could act rings around her whilst blindfolded; but that is all imho.

for whatever reasons, *TCM* sees mankiewicz as worth paying. there are many more things in life worth getting ones knickers in a twist about, but again, that's imho.

best,

annie

Edited by: K8sMum on Feb 20, 2011 2:42 AM

I love many things about TCM. Mankie is nothing but a drain. I think it is important to hire hosts that don't turn off so many people that turn the channel to something else.

There are so many talented people that could be great hosts, but they don't have the advantage of a particular last name or being someone's friend.

Some of the TCM fans interviewed for the bumpers about why they like TCM were bright, interesting people that could be good hosts. Better than Mankie anyway.

Why not let Mankie be a bygone and give someone else a chance?

> {quote:title=K8sMum wrote:}{quote}

> but see: you've got a really good use for the mute button on a channel that doesn't have adverts!>

> btw: may as well put me on your poop list: i don't care for either *Johnny Guitar* or joan crawford (at least most of her work). either young or older, bette davis could act rings around her whilst blindfolded; but that is all imho.

oh don't worry, no hate at all. As I've said before Johnny Guitar is like olives- an acquired taste. First time I tried to watch it, I quit. Second time, I finished it, but was all, "well that was weird." Third time I was like "this is AWESOME!" Same thing happened to me with Dr. Strangelove . And I'm not a big fan of Guitar because I think Crawford was the greatest actress ever- it's because there's something incredible about watching her charge through the thing like an overly-rouged diesel truck in spite of the fact that she is the teensiest bit out of place in the whole thing that adds to the experience tenfold for me.

It's available in entirety on youtube and is worth trying to sit through again, although I do recommend not trying to view it whilst sober (as is my recomendation with most things that don't involve operating heavy machinery.)

> {quote:title=jbh wrote:}{quote}

> 'scuse my ignorance, but what is IMBD?

It's an acronym for "I'm Bored to Death."

Actually, it should be IMDb, for "Internet Movie Database," which you can access at imdb.com

Edited by: scsu1975 on Feb 20, 2011 10:27 PM

Now ValentineXavier and I are even. ;)

Since I note that no one has disciplined Kyle after he made his infantile remark about old people and Social Security, I just have to. Shame on you, little Kylie. Let's just hope SS is still there when you get old and are arguing with your peers online. I'm really surprised your blissful and plentiful youth would allow time to view anything for more than five minutes, especially classic movies.

> 'scuse my ignorance, but what is IMBD?

It's the IMDb, Internet Movie Database. www.imdb.com Lots of info on almost all movies. I also recommend www.allmovie.com, which has more professional reviews, and lists a few that the IMDb does not.

> Thank you. I feel so acronym-challenged these days.

No shame in that. Once upon a time (years and years and years ago) I didn't know about imdb meself. The two best things about it are the trivia sections for the films (the TCMdb trivia entries for movies on this very website are _very often_ copied and pasted directly from imdb's) and being able to see every credit any person has been attached to ever, whether they're above or below the line, in TV or film (it's an interesting way to trace someone's career arc.) Their bios are also great, although the facts are disputable often, and I sometimes take issue with their user reviews, but that's not really why I check it out.

unfortunately, they re-formatted imdb recently and it's not as easily read as it once was- but it's still a great way to kill some time and the best movie site on the net period (in my book.)

check it out if ye have not already- but beware! It has the power to suck you in!

Since I'm on this thread, and I am feeling particularly dim tonight, I have a question. Anyone (or several anyones) please feel free to reply. I just watched (for the umpteenth time) Dark Victory, a movie I absolutely adore. (I'm waiting for my TCM catalogue to arrive so I can order it along with many others.) I didn't realize that another movie starring Susan Hayward (whom I also love) was almost identical in plot (cannot remember the title, it was on in the last couple of weeks). I finally just switched off the Hayward movie, and realized I had never seen it. I know Dark Victory was remade with the twitchy-nosed witchwoman (really dimming out now) in the 70s which of course could not compare to Bette. Anyway, anyone with any info about the Hayward movie, please just humor someone who fears she has early Alzheimer's (not joking) and hit the dimmer switch into bright. I realize I'm rambling now, but my hubby has to go to work early, he and the dog went to bed, and there's nothing on TV. Besides, I love reading other people's ramblings.