Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miracle on 34th Street

Just watched it again a couple of days ago for the thousandth time or so. LOVE that film.

However, in his introduction to the film, Robert Osborne neglected to mention a cast member who fits in perfectly with this month's Oscar theme.

Jack Albertson. Albertson, who went on to win a Supporting Actor Oscar for "The Subject Was Roses" appears briefly as a mail sorter who is the first to pull out the envelopes addressed to Kris Kringle.

Though Osborne does mention the appearance of Thelma Ritter as a Macy's shopper (she was nominated 6 times but never won an Oscar) I think he should have mentioned the appearance of Albertson.

Oh well....

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> I also love this timeless film, but ca`mon we get bludgeoned with it over and over in December do we need to be assaulted again in february!!!!

There was some channel last December that showed it about 20 times, with commercials, and sometimes in the colorized version. But that channel had exclusive rights, while some of us wanted TCM to air it. But exclusive rights in December for a holiday film costs a lot of money.

I suggested recording some of the Christmas films when they show on TCM during the year, when the commercial channels don't want them, and then we can watch them at Christmas time in December without any commercials. :)

If we can?t see this film ?live? on TCM in December, maybe all of us who recorded it this month can get together on this board and arrange a ?group viewing time? next December, so that we can all watch our copy of it at the same time! That way we could all watch it ?together? and then talk about it at the same time. :)

Three times!

TV movies in 1959 (Ed Wynne as Kringle) and 1973 (Sebastian Cabot as Kringle).

Then of course the feature film remake in 1994 with Richard Attenborough as Kringle.

The original is still, and shall always be, the best.

Thanks. That sounds great! This film has so many good stars in it. I?m pretty sure I saw this film in a theater when I was a kid in 1947 or ?48. We knew in those days which films were ?classics?. Even the kids knew.

I didn?t understand the legal stuff, and I never knew if he was or wasn?t ?Santa?. But the scene at the end with the new house and his cane left there suggested a dream-like ?magical possibility?. :)

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

>

> I didnt understand the legal stuff, and I never knew if he was or wasnt Santa. But the scene at the end with the new house and his cane left there suggested a dream-like magical possibility. :)

One of the best things about the movie, and films with similar "is it or isn't it?" concepts: Much is left up to the viewer's imagination.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> One of the best things about the movie, and films with similar "is it or isn't it?" concepts: Much is left up to the viewer's imagination.

Yes!

TikiKid viewed this for the first time (DVD) this Christmas. MrTiki noticed several pantomime/no words spoken type of acting included in this film. It makes the viewer watch the action to illustrate the dialogue. I especially enjoy judge Gene Lockhart silently pointing to his desk only after repeating "Place the letters on my desk" several times.

I also enjoyed the psychiatrist fumbling nervous ticks, a "visual" any kid can put the pieces together to learn about the charactor. The kid spotted Jack Alberson as "Charley's Dad" from the Willy Wonka movie. I love catching Maureen O'Hara not pronouncing "th's" from her Brogue...she says "tanks" for "thanks" more than once. And Natalie Wood....what a treasure, a great teeny actress!

Even though I've seen it a zillion times, it was totally worth watching again. It's a great story, very well told.

*Three times!*

*TV movies in 1959 (Ed Wynne as Kringle) and 1973 (Sebastian Cabot as Kringle).*

*Then of course the feature film remake in 1994 with Richard Attenborough as Kringle.*

*The original is still, and shall always be, the best.*

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but there may have been a TV movie version done on the 20th Century Fox Hour (or whatever it was called), which aired from 1955-57. Fox did hourlong abridged versions of some of its classics, as well as original teleplays. Some of these were later made into full-length features, such as 1956's DECEPTION, made with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard, made into a feature film as CIRCLE OF DECEPTION (1962), starring Suzy Parker.

Some years ago, when the Fox Movie Channel's ratio of classic films to modern (mostly junk) films had more of the former, they aired the complete series of the newly rediscovered 20th Century Fox Hour, with Robert Wagner as host. I recorded all of the episodes on VHS, but I'll have to look for where they're stored to confirm if indeed there was a version of this yuletide classic. Don't know offhand who was in it, but maybe its the same one as mentioned with Ed Wynn.

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 17, 2011 1:22 PM

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> *Three times!*

>

> *TV movies in 1959 (Ed Wynne as Kringle) and 1973 (Sebastian Cabot as Kringle).*

> *Then of course the feature film remake in 1994 with Richard Attenborough as Kringle.*

>

> *The original is still, and shall always be, the best.*

>

> Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but there may have been a TV movie version done on the 20th Century Fox Hour (or whatever it was called), which aired from 1955-57. Fox did hourlong abridged versions of some of its classics, as well as original teleplays. Some of these were later made into full-length features, such as 1956's DECEPTION, made with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard, made into a feature film as CIRCLE OF DECEPTION (1962), starring Suzy Parker.

>

> Some years ago, when the Fox Movie Channel's ratio of classic films to modern (mostly junk) films had more of the former, they aired the complete series of the newly rediscovered 20th Century Fox Hour, with Robert Wagner as host. I recorded all of the episodes on VHS, but I'll have to look for where they're stored to confirm if indeed there was a version of this yuletide classic. Don't know offhand who was in it, but maybe its the same one as mentioned with Ed Wynn.

>

> Edited by: Arturo on Feb 17, 2011 1:22 PM

You are correct! Thomas Mitchell in that TV version...wonder why they never put those shows on DVD sets???

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> > *Three times!*

> >

> > *TV movies in 1959 (Ed Wynne as Kringle) and 1973 (Sebastian Cabot as Kringle).*

> > *Then of course the feature film remake in 1994 with Richard Attenborough as Kringle.*

> >

> > *The original is still, and shall always be, the best.*

> >

> > Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but there may have been a TV movie version done on the 20th Century Fox Hour (or whatever it was called), which aired from 1955-57. Fox did hourlong abridged versions of some of its classics, as well as original teleplays. Some of these were later made into full-length features, such as 1956's DECEPTION, made with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard, made into a feature film as CIRCLE OF DECEPTION (1962), starring Suzy Parker.

> >

> > Some years ago, when the Fox Movie Channel's ratio of classic films to modern (mostly junk) films had more of the former, they aired the complete series of the newly rediscovered 20th Century Fox Hour, with Robert Wagner as host. I recorded all of the episodes on VHS, but I'll have to look for where they're stored to confirm if indeed there was a version of this yuletide classic. Don't know offhand who was in it, but maybe its the same one as mentioned with Ed Wynn.

> >

> > Edited by: Arturo on Feb 17, 2011 1:22 PM

> You are correct! Thomas Mitchell in that TV version...wonder why they never put those shows on DVD sets???

I recorded these on VHS too when they aired on FMC. Wish FMC would show them again or release them on DVD.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Actually we will be seeing this movie LIVE in December. It is an Essential for Saturday December 24th,. So not only in December but it will air on Christmas Eve.

That's great! I was planning to have the recording I just made ready to watch in December if TCM didn't show it this year, but now I won't have to!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> > I also love this timeless film, but ca`mon we get bludgeoned with it over and over in December do we need to be assaulted again in february!!!!

>

> There was some channel last December that showed it about 20 times, with commercials, and sometimes in the colorized version. But that channel had exclusive rights, while some of us wanted TCM to air it. But exclusive rights in December for a holiday film costs a lot of money.

>

> I suggested recording some of the Christmas films when they show on TCM during the year, when the commercial channels don't want them, and then we can watch them at Christmas time in December without any commercials. :)

I'll take one airing of the movie on TCM this December 24 over 20 airings on "some other channel" any day! I never got bludgeoned with it in Decembers past because I refused to watch it on "some other channel" with commercials and colorization...

The TV version with Thomas Mitchell is included on the DVD I have, along with the AMC Backstory episode on "Miracle." The Ed Wynn version was presumed to be lost but someone found it at the Library of Congress a few years back. NBC gave most of their old videotape to the Library of Congress and much of it apparently still hasn't been cataloged. The musical TV version of "Junior Miss" and "What Makes Sammy Run?" are other NBC shows found there in the last 10 years or so. They should release the Wynn and Sebastian Cabot versions as a two-fer on a DVD.

stjohnry wrote:

<< also love this timeless film, but ca`mon we get bludgeoned with it over and over in December do we need to be assaulted again in february!!!! >>

Well if you are a New Yorker that stayed buried in feet of snow by which one could not take down the xmas decorations, this movie did made them feel that this was the l-o-n-g-e-s-t Christmas season ever, lol! Sort of their version of "Groundhog Day".

They would say, thank goodness for this little critter

*There's my shadow, I wonder where it went.*

89524.jpg

> {quote:title=ericsvdwsi8 wrote:}{quote}

>The Ed Wynn version was presumed to be lost but someone found it at the Library of Congress a few years back. NBC gave most of their old videotape to the Library of Congress and much of it apparently still hasn't been cataloged.

>

That was me!

I have always been interested in that version and have done extensive research into it including learning back in 2001 that the Library of Congress had the negatives of the black & white Kinescope of the program (It had been pretty well regarded as lost even by some of the participants). It was broadcast only once, live, on November 27, 1959 and thought to never have been saved. With a bit of work a viewing print could be struck from the materials the LoC had, and I was able to encourage some of the good folks there to prioritize it and to examine the materials to see if it could be done. Finally a few years later a viewing print was ready and so I got to be the first person to watch the show since its original live broadcast back on the day after Thanksgiving 1959. For personal reasons I consider it my favorite version and I have since watched it at least 15 times (so far!)

Here's more info on it (cast, etc.):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307164/combined

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> Not to mention the Lux Radio Theater adaption with Gwenn....making five times the story has been done.

>

Actually it was performed three different times on "The LUX Radio Theatre" -

December 22, 1947

December 20, 1948

and

December 21, 1954.

Edmund Gwenn played Kris Kringle in all three versions.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ericsvdwsi8 wrote:}{quote}

> >The Ed Wynn version was presumed to be lost but someone found it at the Library of Congress a few years back. NBC gave most of their old videotape to the Library of Congress and much of it apparently still hasn't been cataloged.

> >

> That was me!

Great! Thank you for your efforts. :)