Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sound of Silents Poll

Im4movies2

It all depends. There are good piano scores, and crummy piano scores. Very good Organ scores, and poor organ scores. Great Orchestral scores and terrible orchestra scores. For instance, I was aghast at hearing the Electric Light Orchestra playing for *THE THIEF OF BAGDAD!* Are you kidding me? And it sounded mostly like 80's pop! Yuck! Definitely an example of a BAD Orchestral score. Fortunately, there are Carl Davis and also Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra scores to this film.

I desperately would like to see some group recreate an authentic sounding Tango Orchestra score for a Silent film. The Tango Orchestra strikes the perfect counter balance, in my opinion. Just saw some clips scored by The Peacherine Ragtime Orchestra and they were terrific.Reminded me quite a bit of Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks.

It depends. I like piano, pipe organ or orchestral accompaniments to silent films.

As long as the score fits the mood on the screen, I'm pretty easy going about it.

Some of the piano scores I heard recently on some of the silents I've recently watched, like the one for SKINNER'S DRESS SUIT are mostly inappropriate to the action on screen.

A few of the orchestral scores that were prepared for films like MR WU, THE MYSTERIOUS LADY, THE SYMBOL OF THE UNCONQUERED are pretty poor.

Depends on the film, depends on the music.

Generally less is more and piano accompaniment by Carl Davis or Robert Israel can be perfection.

No sound effects (bells ringing, gun shots, knocking on doors) since are are usually trite.

No singing. If the films is silent and actors aren't talking, I don't want to hear singing either.

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}

> Depends on the film, depends on the music.

> No singing. If the films is silent and actors aren't talking, I don't want to hear singing either.

Yes, that is kinda strange. The vintage scores for films like SHOW PEOPLE, OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS, STREET ANGEL, to name a few, all have singing in them over the action.

I realize that they all had songs that were associated with them like Crossroads for SHOW PEOPLE and Angela Mia for STREET ANGEL, but it does kind of put one out of the "trance" of the story on the screen.

I agree Scott. Singing is out! LOL

That said, I find it VERY hard to really get into that "trance mode" when a silent film is totally mute. I have a lot of mute silents and even a generic music track tends to improve them. Of course a well-thought-out music track can create magic.

I'm just now starting to toy with adding music tracks. I tried to record an old Ted Lewis song I learned on piano about 100 years ago but now I can't figure out the technology of the digital recorder... LOL