Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Films that have gay subtext or appreciation among gay community?

Patsy Kelly, William Haines, Marlene Dietrich, Tallulah Bankhead, Cary Grant & Randolph Scott, David Manners, Colin Clive, George Cukor, James Whale, Agnes Moorehead, Barbara Stanwyck, Lizabeth Scott, Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, George Nader, Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, Tommy Kirk, Jodie Foster, et al.

What a great thread this has turned out to be. One of the reasons for Vito Russo's anger in his book The Celluloid Closet was that once movies were free to mention homosexuality, the references often turned out to be negative. Freedom of speech meant the use of slurs for gays and lesbians. Villains could now be portrayed as openly gay.

Darling (1965) is the first film that has what seems to me a 2011 sensibility about gay matters. Homosexuality just is. No particular problem, no special pleading. That's exactly what gay filmmaker John Schlesinger intended.

You'd think that I, of all people, would have mentioned King Rat (1965), which openly mentions homosexual behavior in a prison camp, and which strongly implies that the unlikely friendship between George Segal and James Fox becomes sexual (listen to James Fox's speech toward the end where he talks to Segal about "what we had").

According to Richard Barrios, the word "gay" in our sense was first used in the movies several years prior to Bringing Up Baby in a song called "I Am a Gay Caballero" sung by, appropriately, Franklin Pangborn.

and Ramon Novarro, Kay Francis, Claudette Colbert, Lilyan Tashman, Sal Mineo, Alec Guinness, Anthony Perkins, Lily Damita, Alla Nazimova, Gene Raymond, Charles Farrell, Janet Gaynor, Mary Martin, Dirk Bogarde, Norman Kerry, Harrison Ford (the first), Laurence Olivier, Danny Kaye, Jack Benny, Elvis Presley, Margaret Lindsay, Robert Harron, Ross Alexander, Vincent Price, Robert Taylor, Van Johnson, James Dean, Mercedes McCambridge, and Madame Spivey.

Edited by: drednm on Feb 21, 2011 5:57 PM

Edited by: drednm on Feb 21, 2011 6:31 PM

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> According to Richard Barrios, the word "gay" in our sense was first used in the movies several years prior to Bringing Up Baby in a song called "I Am a Gay Caballero" sung by, appropriately, Franklin Pangborn.

Seriously? Wow, that is perfect! He is one of the actors mentioned specifically by Breen in some of his memos about "pansy" characters.