Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
babydiapers

This is awful

*In other words, does TCM consider itself to be showing some non-classics during 31 Days of Oscar, or does it consider Lord of the Rings: Return of the King a classic?*

Voranis,

Couple of things to consider

1) TCM celebrates all eras of film. Many of the classic era films that are the bread and butter backbone of the network are not considered classic films. In fact, most of them aren't in the traditional sense that defines the best films of that era. But TCM considers all films important whether it's *Casablanca* or a B-western or sci-fi cult film or one of Rich's beloved odes to juvenile delinquents.

TCM considers them all worthy broadcast whether they fit FredC's definition of what should be on the channel or Kinkoma's definition. We, the posters here at TCM City, too often seem to want to define what the channel should be based on our own wants and needs while TCM understands the necessity of programming for all of us - an that includes all its viewers not just the 30 people who post regularly here.

2) *31 Days of Oscar* is about the entire history of the Academy Awards and always has been. TCM includes modern films from a few years ago as well because they are part of Oscar's history.

3) We the posters spend more time passing judgment on what films should constitute classic than any other subject here at TCM City. For over 16 years, TCM has been bringing us an incredible smorgasbord of films from all eras because to TCM all films are important and worthy of broadcast.

They do have a yearly budget that they have to work with for renting films. They do not have every film ever made at their disposal to air and not every studio and/or distributor has been easy to work with over the years.

4) Do modern films show up on the schedule outside of the *31 Days* salute? Yes, sometimes they do but they are part of a bigger theme. The *Race and Hollywood* series includes recent films because the series is about how minority images on film have evolved over the years and modern films are part of that evolution. In the months ahead, there is a salute to *self-financed* films that includes some modern films. Should TCM scuttle that idea because it includes modern films or will there be people who will enjoy watching the films because they are part of the line-up?

At the end of the day, we have to remember, we may be a small but very vocal group of viewers but we are not the only ones who watch TCM. TCM tries to program not for any one person but for all its viewers and they must be doing something right because after 16 years they are still doing what they set out to do when they debuted in April, 1994, bringing us the best in films from the silents to today. In a sea of changing stations that start out as one thing (history, a and e, bravo, tv land) and then morph into something completely dfferent under new ownership, TCM has been awarded the prestigious Peabody Award for staying true to their original mission statement.

We may not always agree with their programming choices but they must be doing something right because they are still doing what they set out to do and we are all still watching.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Voranis,

>

> Couple of things to consider

>

> 1) TCM celebrates all eras of film.

I'm not paying my monthly cable bill to "celebrate all eras of film". I'm paying it to receive old classic movies on TCM.

I have an idea Fred.

Since you obviously value the amount of money you spend each month with what you pay to receive TCM, why not just cancel your subscription?

Because it is obvious to me that TCM is never going to change their programming to satisfy the people like you who have and will continue to have arguments based on their belief that TCM should only show films from the 1910's to the late 1950's.

Give it up Fred. Oscar month is one month per year. The rest of the year newer films account for less than 10% of the programming per month. If TCM plays on average 350 films per month and lets say for argumentative purposes they show 10% films made after 1960, that comes to just 35 films per month.

Now you are probably foaming at the mouth thinking that 35 films per month should be 0 films right?

Well as long as TCM exists I have a feeling this is the practice that they will continue to use.

And one last thing Fred. We all pay for the right to get TCM beamed into our homes. So enough already on how much money you spend every month on TCM.

Only ten more days and everything returns to normal for another year.

I've hardly watched anything this month, but it's the same every February.

You get used to it after a while.

It seems to me that lately we have all been paying our cable to watch and re-watch the same tired line-up of films over & over again. How many times have "the Defiant ones" , "Asphalt Jungle", "the Best Years of our lives" and so on and so on been on in the past 6 months. I would personally welcome an updated TCM schedule including films for the 60's, 70's , 80's or 90's, just deliver some change. Many on these boards watch TCM to critique and comment upon Directorial style, location and so on and that's wonderful I enjoy reading many of these posts submitted by folks whose film knowledge is far beyond mine, but change can be good as well stagnation has never improved anything. So dump some of that stale water TCM and allow something fresh into those hallowed projection rooms.

*"I'm paying it to receive old classic movies on TCM."* - FredCDobbs

And TCM delivers those to you every month.

Kyle In Hollywood

voranis wrote:

<< Wow, hamradio already considers the theatrical version too long--wonder what he would make of the extended version on the DVDs? >>

One "Little Dorrit" (1988) is enough. Even Starz had to sense to show a shorter "Dune" (1984) and nothing was missing from the story. Fed that unneeded footage to the worms of Arrakis.

*Put on a diaper, sit down and I will tell you the long story of Little Dorrit and hope I'll finish before I draw my Social Security.*

timcourtneymrdorrit.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 21, 2011 12:34 PM

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> It seems to me that lately we have all been paying our cable to watch and re-watch the same tired line-up of films over & over again. How many times have "the Defiant ones" , "Asphalt Jungle", "the Best Years of our lives" and so on and so on been on in the past 6 months.

Yes, we need to see new films like "The Story of Temple Drake" (1933)

*Yes, we need to see new films like "The Story of Temple Drake"*

And they will, as soon as they are able to clear the rights issues.

We've been over this about *Temple Drake* at least a half dozen times in the last year.

Until the rights issues surrounding broadcast of the film get cleared up, it can't be seen on TCM.

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> My, we are on our tippy toes standing above and beyond the common herd today, aren't we?

Well, I don?t ?moo? or ?baaa?, if that?s what you mean.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > Voranis,

> >

> > Couple of things to consider

> >

> > 1) TCM celebrates all eras of film.

>

> I'm not paying my monthly cable bill to "celebrate all eras of film". I'm paying it to receive old classic movies on TCM.

Fred, instead of regurgitating your cable bill for the umpteenth time, why don't you answer the two posts I presented to you...or do you ignore them because they destroy the fallacy you try to set forth that TCM was meant to show only studio era movies?

here they are again:

Fred, I know you love digging back for things...so here, take a moment to look at this link:

http://www.tcm.com/2009/15thAnniversary/index.jsp

And then:

1. When the years appear down at the bottom, click on 1994.

2. You will be taken to an image of a storefront saying "1994".

3. Click on the left side window, on the TCM logo.

4. It will then load a video

5. In the bottom right of the screen, you will see it says 1 of 7

6. Move your cursor up the right side to the arrow marked "NEXT"

7. Clcik on it until you get to the 3 of 7 screen.

8. Watch it.

It is Robert Osborne's first movie intro on TCM, and within the VERY FIRST MINUTE he says:

"...so, come join us and see not only great films and stars from the past *but also films from recent years featuring some of our newest and most watchable stars*."

FredCDobbs wrote:

Here is TCM?s mission statement, first published in 1995:

(And then you showed that advertising with the two arrows pointing to '20s to the '80s.)

I wrote:

Oh, Fred, why do you keep going round and round?

#1: That is not a mission statement. That is advertising.

#2: It says the 1920s through the 1980s. You show what they advertised. Even show it with bright arrows pointing to the years. Yet you feel they are not being true to their "mission statement" by running movies that were made after the studio area, right? But they said the 1980s. So who is wrong, you or them? (Helpful hint, Fred: it's not them.)

#3: That was from 1995. It is now 2011. 16 years later. So the slide moves to the right to films after the 1980s as the years accumulate. And they have also moved the left side going back before 1920s..I don't hear you crying bloody murder they are untrue to what they said about that.

They evolve...you don't.

By the way, Fred, a few posts back you said you were against new young viewers being brought in.

I think the theory is that if they promote 31 days of Oscar, get a lot of newspaper, internet, and magazine publicity, then many cable channels offer ?free preview week? when these big new films are on, then a lot of young people will beg daddy to go up to the second tier of cable channels so they can get TCM, and that?s where TCM makes more money, by signing on new subscribers.

But for us old-movie buffs, we hate that. We are not here for modern 2004 teenage movies. We?re here for Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, and other dames of the ?30s and ?40s.

Remember, the more money TCM is somehow able to get, the more money they have in their budget to get classic old films not currently on TCM.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Remember, the more money TCM is somehow able to get, the more money they have in their budget to get classic old films not currently on TCM.

They should have taken the money they spent on ?Lord of the Rings? and ?Gladiator? and paid it on the rental of ?The Story of Temple Drake?.

With that dodge, you still not have answered the points about the 20s through the 80s advertising, nor that Robert Osborne's first intro stated they would show recent movies, too.

Facts are a ****, aren't they, when they come against the false belief you have that TCM was mean to show only old studio era movies?

The great thing about TCM is that they don't show a commercial with Whoopi Goldberg telling us she leaks.

More evasion, Fred. You just can't accept or own up to the fact that you were wrong, that TCM has in fact been saying from their very first broadcast that they would show recent movies.

There are many good reasons to watch the LOTR films. They are beautifully photographed, with lovely,painstakingly detailed sets (I want to live in Rivendell), beautiful costumes, gorgeous natural scenery (I must visit New Zealand before I die) fun (if a little over-the-top) action sequences, even quotable dialogue--what's not to like? They even follow the storyline of the books closely enough that most fans of the books were pretty happy with them and how many movies can say that? But here's possibly the best reason to watch LOTR:

(Yeah, he's just that cool ;) )

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > Remember, the more money TCM is somehow able to get, the more money they have in their budget to get classic old films not currently on TCM.

>

> They should have taken the money they spent on Lord of the Rings and Gladiator and paid it on the rental of The Story of Temple Drake.

You can watch that on youtube, you know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQo-i_e86KY

tracey, I too love Peter Jackson's *Lord of the Rings* movies, all three of them. He captures the spirit of the books while keeping the films "cinematic". Everything you said in praise of these films, I agree with.

And I don't usually like movies over two hours in lenght - but with the LOTR movies, I don't even notice how long they are.

(ps - I like Sean Bean as Boromir better than Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, even though he's only in the first of the three films. But that's a quibble...Mortensen is great, too.)

" LOL " what? People are always saying "LOL" around here, it seems to serve as a catch-phrase ( or catch-acronym ) for anything. I'm sick of "LOL". lol lol lol