Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

>

> I'm going to fight this tooth and claw. These young punks at TCM just took a massive wrench to their precious career plans. Sorry, boys. No BusinessWeek or WSJ feature stories in your futures.

Seriously? "tooth and claw" ?

OK Babydiapers. Hit the "x" in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Step away from the computer. Put down the TV remote. Go out and take a walk, breathe some air, meet a friend for lunch, do some yoga.

Life is good. We live in the best time ever for having access to classic films. You're gonna be ok.

Chill. Out.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

>

> Oops, what's that sound. Oh oh, babydiapers, tha's the recess bell, you better head back in.

Recess is over....it's snack time with milk and cookies.

*(and if a board admin reads this, I don't appreciate the censorship in this thread...several replies have gotten deleted since I was here yesterday. That's nonsense.)*

"He is suffering from '31 Days of Oscar' syndrome. It's a chronic condition; happens every year around this time. There is no known cure, and his condition worsens whenever we show a Marie Osmond film. However, we've had some promising results by showing him the uncut version of Mata Hari ."

Untitled1-67.png

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > Oops, what's that sound. Oh oh, babydiapers, tha's the recess bell, you better head back in.

>

> Recess is over....it's snack time with milk and cookies.

>

> *(and if a board admin reads this, I don't appreciate the censorship in this thread...several replies have gotten deleted since I was here yesterday. That's nonsense.)*

I'm stunned! My comment that babies get grumpy when their diapers are messy was deleted! How in the world is deletion of that called for?

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

>

> *(and if a board admin reads this, I don't appreciate the censorship in this thread...several replies have gotten deleted since I was here yesterday. That's nonsense.)*

Not to worry, krueger69, I'll get to the bottom of that if I have to knock up every programmer at the TCM front office! Don't you worry about that!

> {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > *(and if a board admin reads this, I don't appreciate the censorship in this thread...several replies have gotten deleted since I was here yesterday. That's nonsense.)*

>

> Not to worry, krueger69, I'll get to the bottom of that if I have to knock up every programmer at the TCM front office! Don't you worry about that!

Brilliant....also can't spell my name when it's right in front of you. :P

CineMaven wrote:

<< *Not to worry, krueger69, I'll get to the bottom of that if I have to knock up every programmer at the TCM front office! Don't you worry about that!" - << ( babydiapers )* >>

< Spit-Take!> Well...uhmmm...wear some 'protection'. >>

WAIT a second...Knock up??? So you (babydiapers) are a guy! This is TCM, not the NBA.

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 22, 2011 9:40 PM

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 22, 2011 10:15 PM

To those curious about deleted posts over night -

I've seen this happen before.

It appears that a particular post was removed. Undertaking that act of "clean-up" also included removing all posts that were in reply to the offending message or posts that quoted parts of the offending message. The missing replies were not necessarily objectionable- they were only "collateral damage." And the posters whose posts went missing are likely not in any jeopardy of being reprimanded.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=jbh wrote:}{quote}

> Gracious, everyone seems so angry! I just have one question: who (or what) is Temple Drake? I've watched my share of movies, am pretty smart, but this is a new one. Help please.

Hi jbh--

Temple Drake is the character played by Mirriam Hopkins in the 1933 movie "The Story of Temple Drake," which was based on the William Faulkner novel _Sanctuary_. It's about this sort of amoral southern belle who likes to party and finds herself in a very bad place one night--she and her date are stranded in a storm and the only "sanctuary" is a robber's den (of sorts). The gang leader rapes her and she likes it and begins a relationship with him. Finally, she can't take it anymore and shoots him. Pretty racy, even for a precode movie and unavailable on dvd. You can watch it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQo-i_e86KY

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> To those curious about deleted posts over night -

>

> I've seen this happen before.

>

> It appears that a particular post was removed. Undertaking that act of "clean-up" also included removing all posts that were in reply to the offending message or posts that quoted parts of the offending message. The missing replies were not necessarily objectionable- they were only "collateral damage." And the posters whose posts went missing are likely not in any jeopardy of being reprimanded.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Shoot, I had an entire thread removed. Just because I suggested that a certain politician might be in a league with the Son of Satan...when really, I was just complaining about the Toyota commercail featuring a SimGeneKelly and SimDonaldOConner. ::shrugs:: whatever

> To those curious about deleted posts over night -

>

> I've seen this happen before.

>

> It appears that a particular post was removed. Undertaking that act of "clean-up" also included removing all posts that were in reply to the offending message or posts that quoted parts of the offending message. The missing replies were not necessarily objectionable- they were only "collateral damage." And the posters whose posts went missing are likely not in any jeopardy of being reprimanded.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Curious?

How would you know this?

Jake,

A few years ago (circa 2008-2009), there were some troublemakers in various forums (the Filmmakers forum and Western forum among others) who attacked long time posters and started arguments for the sake of arguments sake but with a edge to the arguments that would, inevitably, go back to attacking others.

These attacks would take place over weekends when the mods were less likely to be on patrol. Posters took a stand and called the troublemakers out for the shenanigans (and that is using as polite a term as I can think of) only to find a number of post deleted when the weekend was over.

As for Kyle, he has had images removed from his poster galleries with no warning. To my knowledge, he never received a warning about it but the images were definitely deleted.

*"How would you know this?"*

Simple deduction leads me to believe it is so.

There was an offensive message posted yesterday. I replied to it. ValentineXavier replied to it. Helenbaby replied to it. There may be others that replied also.

What is missing today? The offending post and all those replies. That's what I have observed. And this is why I posted to others that seemed upset that their messages were missing even though none of the replies were offending or in vioaltion of any conduct - that I could see.

I have observed this pattern for a long time.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> After reading this article, we should give thanks it was only *images!*

> http://politicsandthenewmedia.commons.yale.edu/2011/02/12/troll-hunting-and-collateral-damage/

> :(

>

> Edited by: hamradio on Feb 22, 2011 10:54 PM

I'd have to say we have a few well fed trolls around here.

Temple Drake was a young lady who had an unfulfilling relationship with

a corn cob, and went on to have other unfortunate adventures before

she was rescued. Being an SAP (Southern American Princess), she was

able to recover from her ordeal by taking a trip to Europe. Her sad story

is told by Billy Faulkner in his novel Sanctuary. In the novel Popeye,

the non-sailor man, wound up on the wrong end of a rope. Hollywood

does have a penchant for changing the innards of works of fiction.

The novel, with many of the more provocative parts taken out, was adapted

into a movie in the early thirties titled The Story of Temple Drake. It's

rather atmospheric and has its moments, but it's no lost masterpiece, though if

I were a studio flack that's how I'd probably describe it.

"knock up" in this case sounds to me like a manner of speaking. As in "I'm going to knock on their door". It's a British way of speaking. Maybe "babydiapers" is British.

This message was in response to a message that was deleted, so it may seem out of context.

Edited by: LittleAbner on Feb 23, 2011 9:54 AM

> {quote:title=JakeHolman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> > To those curious about deleted posts over night -

> >

> > I've seen this happen before.

> >

> > It appears that a particular post was removed. Undertaking that act of "clean-up" also included removing all posts that were in reply to the offending message or posts that quoted parts of the offending message. The missing replies were not necessarily objectionable- they were only "collateral damage." And the posters whose posts went missing are likely not in any jeopardy of being reprimanded.

> >

> > Kyle In Hollywood

>

> Curious?

>

> How would you know this?

Jake,

Kyle is correct. I have seen it happen. The mods will take out one post, but then may have to remove another post after it because it might have contained a quote from the offending original post. And so on. Sometimes they will take out a whole section where there is fighting going on. Sometimes their cutting will remove some posts should not have gone. Heaven knows, I have been on the mods for some posts of mine that were cut and I believe they shouldn;t have. I have even had two entire threads disappear overnight and the mods could not even apparently determine who cut the threads or where they had gone.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *In other words, does TCM consider itself to be showing some non-classics during 31 Days of Oscar, or does it consider Lord of the Rings: Return of the King a classic?*

>

> Voranis,

>

> Couple of things to consider

>

> 1) TCM celebrates all eras of film. Many of the classic era films that are the bread and butter backbone of the network are not considered classic films. In fact, most of them aren't in the traditional sense that defines the best films of that era. But TCM considers all films important whether it's *Casablanca* or a B-western or sci-fi cult film or one of Rich's beloved odes to juvenile delinquents.

> TCM considers them all worthy broadcast whether they fit FredC's definition of what should be on the channel or Kinkoma's definition. We, the posters here at TCM City, too often seem to want to define what the channel should be based on our own wants and needs while TCM understands the necessity of programming for all of us - an that includes all its viewers not just the 30 people who post regularly here.

>

> 2) *31 Days of Oscar* is about the entire history of the Academy Awards and always has been. TCM includes modern films from a few years ago as well because they are part of Oscar's history.

>

> 3) We the posters spend more time passing judgment on what films should constitute classic than any other subject here at TCM City. For over 16 years, TCM has been bringing us an incredible smorgasbord of films from all eras because to TCM all films are important and worthy of broadcast.

> They do have a yearly budget that they have to work with for renting films. They do not have every film ever made at their disposal to air and not every studio and/or distributor has been easy to work with over the years.

>

> 4) Do modern films show up on the schedule outside of the *31 Days* salute? Yes, sometimes they do but they are part of a bigger theme. The *Race and Hollywood* series includes recent films because the series is about how minority images on film have evolved over the years and modern films are part of that evolution. In the months ahead, there is a salute to *self-financed* films that includes some modern films. Should TCM scuttle that idea because it includes modern films or will there be people who will enjoy watching the films because they are part of the line-up?

>

> At the end of the day, we have to remember, we may be a small but very vocal group of viewers but we are not the only ones who watch TCM. TCM tries to program not for any one person but for all its viewers and they must be doing something right because after 16 years they are still doing what they set out to do when they debuted in April, 1994, bringing us the best in films from the silents to today. In a sea of changing stations that start out as one thing (history, a and e, bravo, tv land) and then morph into something completely dfferent under new ownership, TCM has been awarded the prestigious Peabody Award for staying true to their original mission statement.

>

> We may not always agree with their programming choices but they must be doing something right because they are still doing what they set out to do and we are all still watching.

Liz,

Thanks for the explanation! All good points, especially the one about the fact that just because a movie is from the 1930s may not necessarily make it a classic--unless "old" is what one's definition of "classic" is, which seems to be the case for some members of these forums.

I think I've seen some contemporary movies myself during times other than 31 Days of Oscar, especially when there are guest programmers, such as when Peter Travers selected Almost Famous during Critic's Choice Month in October of 2010. (I wish they would re-run those, especially the Leonard Maltin night, since I missed most of them due to illness. But they never seem to re-run special events like those.) I had forgotten about that airing until this discussion of classics vs. contemporaries came up again.

Keep in mind that, just as people say TCM repeats movies because new viewers are always coming in that may have missed previous airings, new viewers and forum members are going to raise questions about TCM's policies that may have been discussed previously. I'm not sure if the original poster in this thread was new or not; there were some claims that the poster was new and some that the poster was a long-time viewer with a new identity. Not sure which is the case here. And even long-time viewers like myself may not be aware of all the policies if they do not watch the channel 24/7 or are not as heavily involved in information about the network as folks like you are. In my case, though, it is my poor memory that caused me to be surprised at the airing of LOTR, as I just mentioned that I am now recalling having seen some contemporary movies on TCM in the past. My memory is declining much faster than it should for my age and is just one of the health problems my doctors are trying to deal with.

How many times have you had to explain--which you did for me once--the history of the library acquisitions, when they were sold, who owns them now, and why TCM has to pay for the movies it airs? Do you have a FAQ for some of these items that you are so knowledgeable about, and if not, is it possible to create FAQs in these message boards as I have seen in other message boards? Maybe then new members which questions that have been answered before could be directed to the FAQ. (Probably this question has also been raised many times too.)

Thanks again!

> *"I am trying to determine if the content of 31 Days of Oscar is a departure from what TCM allows to be shown during the rest of the year."* - voranis

>

> I don't know 'voranis.' If TCM had a legitimate reason to show *The Lord Of The Rings* this September, I am sure they could do it. But, typically, they don't show such popular, contemporary films save for Oscar Month.

>

> Your interest goes beyond what I am capable of answering for you or comfortable with discussing. I've given you my educated guesses on how TCM approaches its programming gleaned from observing the traditions apparent to this long-time viewer and as one with past access to persons at TCM. All I could say beyond what I have said already would only be unfounded hypotheses.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

> *"I am trying to determine if the content of 31 Days of Oscar is a departure from what TCM allows to be shown during the rest of the year."* - voranis

>

> I don't know 'voranis.' If TCM had a legitimate reason to show *The Lord Of The Rings* this September, I am sure they could do it. But, typically, they don't show such popular, contemporary films save for Oscar Month.

>

> Your interest goes beyond what I am capable of answering for you or comfortable with discussing. I've given you my educated guesses on how TCM approaches its programming gleaned from observing the traditions apparent to this long-time viewer and as one with past access to persons at TCM. All I could say beyond what I have said already would only be unfounded hypotheses.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

Thanks for the response!