Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*How many times have you had to explain--which you did for me once--the history of the library acquisitions, when they were sold, who owns them now, and why TCM has to pay for the movies it airs?*

Voranis,

More times than I can count. I was fortunate when I first started posting here back in 2004 that a poster called Coffeedan used to post that information. He was very knowledgeable about film libraries. I saved it and keep it updated to share. Coffeedan only posts here on occasion these days so I'm glad I can share his info with new posters.

*Do you have a FAQ for some of these items that you are so knowledgeable about, and if not, is it possible to create FAQs in these message boards as I have seen in other message boards?*

I've asked for years for a sticky or a FAQ for the Film library info as well as one for the Stars of the Month and the annual SUTS celebration. But so far, no cigar. A few years ago, a couple of posters started gathering the info for SOTM and SUTS. I copied it and keep it updated, make changes to it when necessary and keep sharing it with the denizens of TCM City.

I am hoping that someone will do for me what I did for Coffeedan, copy the info, share it when needed and keep it updated should the day come when I post here less frequently.

I think of it as the TCM City way of paying it forward.

Kyle is correct. Unfortunately, when a member quotes a violated post, their entire post is removed. The member who has quoted another may have nothing in their posts that violates the Code of Conduct.

This thread continues to take a turn into personal attacks and violations. If it continues, we will have no choice but to lock the thread.

Thank you everyone

-Renee

LittleAbner wrote:

<< knock up" in this case sounds to me like a manner of speaking. As in "I'm going to knock on their door". It's a British way of speaking. Maybe "babydiapers" is British. >>

In that case, is that was ever the perfect example of the expresssion British and Americans are two people separated by a common language.

Probually used a lot by British Jehovah's Witnesses. :P

"It's awful" if TCM doesn't use current technology to offer alternatives. Why not allow embedded videos from TCM's film collection to play on it's website, either free or to subscribers on demand? Using it's current delivery system, TCM is restricted to showing one film at a time from it's vast collection. I would use the website to allow viewers to customize their TCM viewing experience, and I would allow on demand access and downloads to the entire TCM vault.

Some may complain that they don't like to watch movies on computers. For that I would suggest a bigger internet ready TV screen for one thing. What's the alternative to not doing this? The annual griping over "31 days of Oscar" is one fallout...

"knock up" in this case sounds to me like a manner of speaking. As in "I'm going to knock on their door". It's a British way of speaking. Maybe "babydiapers" is British. This message was in response to a message that was deleted, so it may seem out of context." - <<< L'il Abner >>>

I see, L'il A...British, Canadian...whatever bridge its under...those diapers are full of it and smells to high heaven.

I love TCM and their mixture of genres and eras.

*TCM is restricted to showing one film at a time from it's vast collection. I would use the website to allow viewers to customize their TCM viewing experience, and I would allow on demand access and downloads to the entire TCM vault.*

TCM doesn't have a collection or a vault. Aside from the six "lost and found" RKO features, they rent all the films they broadcast and they are bound by the rental agreements with the studios and distributors as to how they can "broadcast" those films.

They do have TCM On-Demand on various cable providers like Comcast and satellite providers such as Dish and DirecTV.

But to be able to stream studio-owned films on this website would require the studios' cooperation, a way around piracy issues and a great deal more bandwith.

> {quote:title=ThelmaTodd wrote:}{quote}

> "It's awful" if TCM doesn't use current technology to offer alternatives. Why not allow embedded videos from TCM's film collection to play on it's website, either free or to subscribers on demand? Using it's current delivery system, TCM is restricted to showing one film at a time from it's vast collection. I would use the website to allow viewers to customize their TCM viewing experience, and I would allow on demand access and downloads to the entire TCM vault.

>

> Some may complain that they don't like to watch movies on computers. For that I would suggest a bigger internet ready TV screen for one thing. What's the alternative to not doing this? The annual griping over "31 days of Oscar" is one fallout...

Well, being a low-tech dunce, I don't care for that idea at all. And I don't want to get a "bigger internet ready TV screen." Plus I doubt I'd have the money for it at this time. I'm happy with the way TCM screens its movies now.

Nope, I'd rather just put up with the "31 days of Oscar" fallout.

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 23, 2011 3:46 PM

I really don't like the idea of watching a movie on my television set streamed in from the internet. I know this is going to be the way of it in the near future, but I shall kick and scream as long as I can.

Also, if I read ThelmaTodd's post correctly, there would be more than one tcm movie to choose from at any given time. The whole "community" aspect of TCM would disappear; if they do that they might as well just retreat to the internet and become an on-line movie provider, like Netflix or something.

Miss W, whether one likes it or not, the fact remains that we've gone into the digital age when many forms of home entertainment and such are all coming together. One day people will have their computers and televisions as ONE unit, through which they obtain everything.....tv programming and internet downloads. Organizations and companies which DON'T keep up with the advances in how media is gotten to the public will be left behind while other groups move ahead. The same thing applies to TCM....they not only have to keep up with their regular tv/cable programming, but they have to keep up computer/internet-wise as far as what they provide to the viewers out there.

Until the technology becomes cheap & easy to use for everyone then it should only be an option not a requirement.

I can imagine telling someone's grandmother that to enjoy TCM she needs to download the movies from the Internet.

For the record TCM does keep up with current technology. They are on facebook & twitter. They have monthly Online Pod Casts. However unlike ABC or CBS they do not own the content they show. That is why they are not streaming their films Online. I expect that would cost extra.

If people want to watch Classic Movies online there are many legal titles on Netflix & Hulu+ and many illegal ones of Youtube. There are also a bunch of films that no longer have a copyright on the Internet Archive.

kriegerg, I know how you feel about digital technology from your posts on the "Low tech dunce" thread. I understand and respect your opinion about it, and even if I didn't , I know you are right. This is the way almost everything is going to go in the near future. And I did acknowledge that ( I said " I know this is going to be the way of it in the near future" ).

While I am not of a grandmother age ( maybe getting there! ) I am someone who dislikes the idea of everything going digital. I am not a "tech" person, nor a person who likes computers or even necessarily the internet (except for this site, I guess ).

It makes me sad to know that soon -probably sooner than any of us think - there will be no "hard copy", tangible music recordings, books, movies -all the things I care about.For me, it just isn't the same getting those things on-line. I think I was born in the wrong age. :(

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound "persnickity". I was just trying to explain about...you know. I, too, love TCM. It's practically the only channel I watch. And I don't have a problem with LOTR or modern movies or Jacque Cousteau or anything else TCM wants to broadcast. I just feel lucky that TCM exists! :-)

I'm 38 (just for an age reference) and I am cranky that tv will eventually be all digital as well. I still like the surprise of "finding" something good on tv rather than having it available any time. I guess because that's how it was when I was growing up *shrugs*. On the flip side I am a total hypocrite because I go through the TCM schedule each month (online) than set up the DVR to tape the movies I want to watch. Back in December I was complaining to my dh that I had not seen "Babes in Toyland" with Laurel and Hardy in several years. It always used to be on, on Thanksgiving morning up until a few years ago. He found it online for me and I watched it and loved being able to see it again.

I've been watching TCM on and off since 1998 and I just enjoy it so much.

Lisa-If my posts don't make sense it is for the same reason it takes me 4 hours to watch the average TCM movie.....I have small children.

I don't think that cable and satellite broadcast will be replace by internet only type of service. There is simply too much money involved and the internet movie downloads are extra bucks for those involved. My local cable provider just recently upgraded (better word replaced everything) their entire system. A broadband cable system and the standard cable which now has 22 analog and 78 SD digital channels.

I myself do not want broadband or internet download types of movie entertainment solely for security. This is what I love about dialup and my Robotics modem. I can actually see intrusions before they get a foot into the door. Always monitoring the status lights which should never be flickering when I am not in the process of data acquisition. I just caught one the other day, my modem and USB flash drive was active and disconnected ASAP. I now keep an empty flash drive as an extra intrusion indicator. I also monitor my hard drive as well.

For me one way cable and Directv is all I need. Have both because of unique programming not available on either and redundancy. Shortwave always will be free and this is where you will always get information if all others fail like in power blackouts as I found out a couple of years ago.

This digital will be trashed if we ever get one of those super coronal solar mass ejections from the sun (that *small* star overhead :P ) like what happened during the mid 1800's. If that can literally fry *telegraph* systems, just imagine what our sensitive digital technology will suffer. This is why I stick with the old tech and keep my radios grounded at the antenna when not in use. Vacuum tubes are very forgiving with voltage overloads and temp short circuits that will fry modern electronic equipment.

The worst case scenerio is that the worldwide power grid will go down for 8 to 10 years in certain areas if such an event happened. Can't imagine the catastrophic economic impact that will have! :( When I had a power outage a couple of years ago that lasted several days due to a unique very heavy *mass* snowstorm, I had emergency lighting, radio, and landline telephone. Kept informed all the time. ALL cellphones in my area went down!

I actually own the Realistic DX-160 on the right and have something similiar on the left. :)

0.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 26, 2011 11:09 AM

Well, hamradio, you certainly live up to your name. Hey, I can just see a new sci-fi movie about such an event, a burst of "super coronal super mass" from the sun, and how that would affect us earthlings. Sci-fi /disaster movie ! One of the heroes who helps everyone out could be a "hamradio" type who knows what to do ! :)

My biggest problem with downloading movies to watch on our television is the buffering. We have a high-speed connection into our house and we have a good satellite provider but the few times we have downloaded a movie (versus watching it off one channels), inevitably, we will be watching and then during a pivotal scene the movie will stop while the buffering tries to catch up.

Because of that, we prefer to watch films on the pay per view channels versus downloading.

Because the film coming to a halt because of buffering is more aggravating than commercials. And it always happens during pivotal scenes, usually action scenes.

misswonderly wrote:

<< Hey, I can just see a new sci-fi movie about such an event, a burst of "super coronal super mass" from the sun, and how that would affect us earthlings. Sci-fi /disaster movie ! >>

They already made such a movie, "Knowing" (2009) starring Nicolas Cage. As usual, Hollywood over sensationalized the CME.

Some facts on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Look at the video of comments from the well respected Michio Kaku

http://www.nightskyobserver.com/astronomy-news/eruption-on-the-sun-sends-cme-toward-earth-aurora-alert/

Photos of this months Feb 2011 Auroras caused by CME.

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_01feb11_page4.htm

The last big one was known as the "Halloween Storm" of 2003

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Sun/SunStormsRecordYr.html