Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paramount Remaking THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. For Kids.

FredCDobbs

?Disturbia was a big hit; the film shrewdly remade Rear Window for teens and then just sat back and took in the cash. Paramount wants to do that all over again, so they?re remaking another Hitchcock film for teens ? The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Except this time it?s The Kid Who Knew Too Much. In the original film a couple investigate a conspiracy and their son gets kidnapped as a result; in this remake the tables are turned and the kid?s parents get disappeared.

John and Jez Butterworth are writing (Jez Butterworth had previously been on the remake of The Birds), with Parkes/MacDonald Productions producing.

And before you get too worked up, remember that The Man Who Knew Too Much was Hitchcock remaking himself! He shot the original in 1934, and preferred the 1956 version.?

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/02/08/paramount-remaking-the-man-who-knew-too-much-for-kids#

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

>the kid's parents get disappeared.

Th author of this article must be 10 years old.

I understand Lada Gaga will sing "Que sera, sera," and the climactic assassination attempt will take place at a Justin Bieber concert.

*Disturbia* was a decent film. Doesn't mean that this remake would be good, but it's not impossible. I do recommend the sort of teen neo-noir *Brick*. A teen investigates the disappearance and murder of his ex-girlfriend. The dialog is great, like right out of Chandler and Hammett. I generally loathe teen films, but this one is quite good. I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but it does.

I beg to differ, I saw Disturbia and found it was not worth the money it cost to rent.

I'm reading a book about the screwball comedies of 30s and 40s called Lunatics and Lovers, and it mentions all these movies that in their initial run were great, some of them groundbreaking, like It Happened One Night, but then it has all these little footnotes saying which ones were remade and people thought they would be great because they were in color and had musical numbers to them, but everybody hated them. I see it being something similiar with taking a story like Rear Window and making Disturbia, people think because it's being modernized that the public will eat it up with a spoon, sorry, we don't, we want something that's GREAT, not something that's just 'oh here are a bunch of things thrown together for 2 hours, who cares if they make any sense?'

> {quote:title=GreatMoviesFan wrote:}{quote}

> I see it being something similiar with taking a story like Rear Window and making Disturbia, people think because it's being modernized that the public will eat it up with a spoon, sorry, we don't, we want something that's GREAT, not something that's just 'oh here are a bunch of things thrown together for 2 hours, who cares if they make any sense?'

That?s what happened with ?The Good German?. Photographically, it looked like a ?40s noir, but overall it didn?t make sense, it was vulgar and obscene, and the villains ? instead of being Germans or Russians at the end of WW II ? they were American military people. Like, Doh... The film lasted five months in a few theaters and then went to DVD.

I'm not against remakes, but I'm against them when they essentially rip off the original and take all the credit. I'm a teenager, and I know 99% of my peers will go to the theater and see it, thinks it's terrific, and won't even realize that this movie was originally made by a genius and master of suspense.

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

> I'm not against remakes, but I'm against them when they essentially rip off the original and take all the credit

Absolutely...that burns my beans also. :(

That's the worst thing about remakes, when they don't even acknowledge the fact they're doing something which has been done before...and especially when they deliberately mislead the public into thinking they're doing it for the first time. Like there's this movie coming out from the director of Twilight (the first movie) called "Red Riding Hood" (the classic story done as a werewolf tale)....but on IMDB and other places, those who KNOW are already saying it's been done before, as the 1985 classic "The Company of Wolves".

This also made me think of that Xfinity Tv App for iPad commercial, with that bouncy tune which starts out with whistling and near the end gets to a few lyrics "Good is Good, but Great Is Better" (which also is the song's title, according to what I've read online)...but what NO ONE seems to have pointed out or recognized is that the music itself is adapted from a classical piece by Haydn...just bounced up for today's younger generation. First time I saw that commercial I immediately recognized the Haydn piece because years ago, when I played the piano as a kid, that was one of the pieces I used to play (I don't recall its title however). Anyway, this is an instance of something musically being "remade" for today's younger generation....who will have NO idea this tune is ripped off....er, I mean ADAPTED from a classical composition.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> What's next, *Texting M for Murder* ?

Hahahaha! Yes!

How on earth will they make this story kid-friendly? This is a slap in the face to Hitchcock, the writers, and everyone who worked on the film. It saddens me to think a few generations of younger people will be introduced to "Que Sera Sera" (if they even include it in the film) without the sunny voice of Doris Day.

> {quote:title=KTScarlett wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> > What's next, *Texting M for Murder* ?

> Hahahaha! Yes!

>

> How on earth will they make this story kid-friendly?

They?ll throw in plenty of sex, some nude scenes, lots of cursing, big car-chase scenes, explosions, and loud noises.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=KTScarlett wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> > > What's next, *Texting M for Murder* ?

> > Hahahaha! Yes!

> >

> > How on earth will they make this story kid-friendly?

>

> Theyll throw in plenty of sex, some nude scenes, lots of cursing, big car-chase scenes, explosions, and loud noises.

..And lots of CGI !