Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMC is totally ripping off TCM

charliechaplin101

Now THIS is hysterical, and yes it is worthy of a thread. I have a party tomorrow and was making some calzones (came out pretty good) and i wasn't really paying attention to the TV.....somehow it ended up on AMC (True Grit was on) and the announcer was talking about AMC's " Countdown to Oscars". Please, there are TWO things you DO NOT do:

1.You do NOT interrupt me when i am watching the Godfather Trilogy.

2.Do NOT steal material.

I know what it's like. It especially aggrivates me when it's out of my control. Sorry for the lame thread, wish i had something better to talk about, but i haven't really seen any new movies lately.

Have a good week, guys!

~CC101

PS: Still as eager as ever for the Festival.

Why would it be unusual for AMC and TCM to show the same types of movies? Like TCM, AMC can only show whats available to them. I just noticed "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is on. Its a great classic western if you don't mind the commercials. I beleive even the Encore Western channel can also show it.

TCM is the only channel that can mention the Oscars?? I don't think so.

If you watch AMC, be prepared to be *interrupted* a lot.

I can remember when AMC use to be commercial free (as well as IFC).

Call it stealing when they have a Robert Osborne clone doing the same thing, lol!

*Call it stealing when they have a Robert Osborne clone doing the same thing, lol!*

Actually, you can then say that TCM stole the host thing from AMC, because when TCM started, commercial-free, classics-full AMC had one doing intros and outros, a la Osborne. Think his name was Bob Dorian.

Plus they had a glossy color monthly guide, with covers and articles on classic film stars, just like the schedule full of classic films. So who stole what from whom . . .

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 23, 2011 4:44 PM

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Leave the gun. Take the calzones.

>

> Clemenza actually said take the canolis.

Cinesage, charliechaplin101 said he was making ?calzones?. It wouldn?t make any sense for me to tell him to ?take the canolis? when he?s making ?calzones?.

OMG, I forgot about Bob Dorian, must be all those commercials making AMC look like a network station or me simply getting old. :|

AMC does need to go back to the old days of programming with guest host and NO commercials. That dream will never come true by the way. :(

If they did do that, I wonder how that will affect TCM's programming? Having competition should be interesting! This is a quote from wiki:

1980s - AMC was originally a premium cable channel that aired classic movies during the afternoons and early evenings, largely pre-1950s, in a commercial-free, generally unedited, uncut, and uncolorized format. It was not uncommon for the channel to host a Marx Brothers marathon, or show such classics such as the original Phantom of the Opera. In 1987, the channel first became available on basic cable television systems

Bob is in letterbox :)

0.jpg

Instead of stuff like this, we get "Sleep Number Beds" and "Food Lovers Fat Loss" :(

0.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 23, 2011 8:55 PM

*Cinesage, charliechaplin101 said he was making ?calzones?. It wouldn?t make any sense for me to tell him to ?take the canolis? when he?s making ?calzones?.*

Italian 101:

The plural of *calzone* is *calzoni*. So please do not use *calzones*, which to us Spanish speakers (and readers) denotes underwear.

Those pictures had me going. Well, in an alternate universe we would have TCM AND AMC in its original format, PLUS FMC as it was at the beginning of the last decade (before Porkys and all the other crap started getting seen three times in a row on prime time).

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> Italian 101:

> The plural of *calzone* is *calzoni*. So please do not use *calzones*, which to us Spanish speakers (and readers) denotes underwear.

charliechaplin101 said, ?I have a party tomorrow and was making some calzones (came out pretty good)...?

I told him to bring the calzones.

calzones:

http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/fast-fresh/quick-calzones-00400000011346/

This is a single calzone:

cheese_calzone.jpg

That calzone photo is making me hungry, Fred must be flipping between TCM and the Food Channel. :P

About AMC, there are 2 other threads on the discussion forum that gave me an idea to rework an old expression -

*All the King's Men and All The King's Speeches will never put AMC back together again.*

"I've actually watched some widescreen films on AMC lately. But there's no getting around the commercials. UGH."

That's why I use Magnavox, Philips or Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders whenever recording from THIS or AMC. For recordings worth keeping I edit out commercials and promos before high-speed dubbing the material to DVDs. With recent Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders (2160, 2160A, 513 and 515 models) high-speed dubbing a full DVD takes about fifteen minutes plus another three minutes for finalizing. The outstanding Magnavox 513 and 515 HDD/DVD models are found at the walmart.com website, not in retail stores.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> OMG, I forgot about Bob Dorian, must be all those commercials making AMC look like a network station or me simply getting old. :|

>

> AMC does need to go back to the old days of programming with guest host and NO commercials. That dream will never come true by the way. :(

>

> If they did do that, I wonder how that will affect TCM's programming? Having competition should be interesting! This is a quote from wiki:

>

> 1980s - AMC was originally a premium cable channel that aired classic movies during the afternoons and early evenings, largely pre-1950s, in a commercial-free, generally unedited, uncut, and uncolorized format. It was not uncommon for the channel to host a Marx Brothers marathon, or show such classics such as the original Phantom of the Opera. In 1987, the channel first became available on basic cable television systems

>

> Bob is in letterbox :)

> 0.jpg

>

> Instead of stuff like this, we get "Sleep Number Beds" and "Food Lovers Fat Loss" :(

> 0.jpg

>

> Edited by: hamradio on Feb 23, 2011 8:55 PM

I wish there was a similar channel to the old AMC to offer competition to TCM. Competition is good for the soul. Without it, a channel, like anything else, gets too comfortable because they know they're the only show in town that appeals to a certain audience, and they begin to get sloppy. What's worse, they don't have to care because without competition where is their audience going to go?

Yes, it's true TCM doesnt really have competition. That said I dont think they are resting on their laurels (yet). The Fox Channel doesnt show many old movies and only in the daytime. Their primetime movies seem to be the same 2 dozen or so constantly rotating.......I miss the old Paramount movies on AMC.........

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> I wish there was a similar channel to the old AMC to offer competition to TCM. Competition is good for the soul. Without it, a channel, like anything else, gets too comfortable because they know they're the only show in town that appeals to a certain audience, and they begin to get sloppy. What's worse, they don't have to care because without competition where is their audience going to go?

Questions:

Are you saying this because you believe TCM does not show enough "older" films each month, or is this just a wishful thought because you are disappointed that more recent films are being shown on TCM during it's 31 Days of Oscar?

Because it would seem to me that if you are looking for a channel that shows as many older films as this channel does, uninterrupted and commercial free, I can not seem to figure out why you'd want another channel for TCM to compete with.

If it is a matter of number of films, or the possibility that TCM seems to follow that they show multiple viewings of certain films over the course of a year, or is the reason you'd like to see another competing channel a way of saying that you do not approve of the programming choices being offered by TCM?

Just curious.

I actually watched AMC before finding TCM mainly since it wasn't offered on my cable service until a few years later. They did have some wonderful specials, such as a Halloween special with the real classic horror movies, Frankenstein, Wolfman, et.al. They were uncut and no commercials. Now they show very few classic movies, a lot of 60's and 70's, post modern stuff. Give me the Errol Flynns, the Gary Coopers, the Humphrey Bogarts, and the classics. AMC has sold out and a true film fan no longer finds much to look at (although I did watch John Wayne's True Grit ). Long live TCM and its appreciation for true classics!

I'm not surprised AMC is doing an Oscar-fest - Many channels do the same thing in February - so that isn't really a "rip-off" in my mind.

But The Sundance Channel did program some event a few years back and called it "31 Days of..." (I don't remember what the subject was though. It could have been "31 Days Of Documentaries" or "31 Days of Sundance Festival FIlms". I really don't remember.) And _that_ struck me as a rip-off of TCM's title and concept.

And does no one here have any "love" for AMC's former host Nick Clooney? I was surprised no one here even brought up his recent appearance on the new Piers Morgan Show when he appeared along side his son George. I was hoping someone would watch it and offer up a report on the conversation.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Feb 24, 2011 6:59 PM

While I treasure Robert Osborne on TCM, I really enjoyed Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney when they hosted AMC.

In those days I used to record new movies on top of old ones on my VHS tapes as needed. I wish I had kept them.

I used to get their monthly program guide but TCM wouldn't ship theirs to Canada until a few years ago.

Does anyone Remember WENN? Bob Dorian was a guest on that show. Wonderful series.

Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney were terrific hosts.

AMC was my primary source for older, classic movies back in the day, followed by TNT. As was mentioned, my cable system didn't offer TCM when it first came on the scene, so AMC was pretty much it. I still have some movies from AMC that TCM hasn't aired, like Sally and Saint Anne and Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid. AMC would also air the whole Blondie series.

As for competition, I don't see why more than one commercial-free, uncut, classic film channel would be such a terrible thing, especially since TCM doesn't air some of the movies AMC used to. Plenty of movies to go around and viewers as well, I suspect.

Yes, I remember that show. I loved the clothes and there were some handsome young actors in it! I used to watch AMC before it changed formats. TNT too. When TCM started they dropped the old movies from TNT (they had commercials and werent widescreen as I recall). I missed the first year or so of TCM, but luckily not since then. First AMC started running commericals between movies. I didnt mind that too much, but when they started IN the movie itself and dropped the old movie format, that's when I left.......SAD.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> > I wish there was a similar channel to the old AMC to offer competition to TCM. Competition is good for the soul. Without it, a channel, like anything else, gets too comfortable because they know they're the only show in town that appeals to a certain audience, and they begin to get sloppy. What's worse, they don't have to care because without competition where is their audience going to go?

>

> Questions:

>

> Are you saying this because you believe TCM does not show enough "older" films each month, or is this just a wishful thought because you are disappointed that more recent films are being shown on TCM during it's 31 Days of Oscar?

Yes.

>

> Because it would seem to me that if you are looking for a channel that shows as many older films as this channel does, uninterrupted and commercial free, I can not seem to figure out why you'd want another channel for TCM to compete with.

Competition is good for the soul. It keeps people and channels honest.

>

> If it is a matter of number of films, or the possibility that TCM seems to follow that they show multiple viewings of certain films over the course of a year, or is the reason you'd like to see another competing channel a way of saying that you do not approve of the programming choices being offered by TCM?

If you've read some of my other posts on other threads you would know this to be the case. I love TCM, but do not always agree with their programming choices. I would love another uncut and uninterrupted OLD movie channel, by old I mean 1960 back, as an alternative.

>

> Just curious.

Are you afraid that TCM could not stand up to competition from another AMC????

Just curious.