Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you think of "The Bad Seed"?

I'll bet they did back in the day, probably with the name of some old fossil of

a principal attached to it. Maybe one for the neatest desk and best sharpened

pencil. Still that's no reason to kill somebody over one, is it? Yes, Miss Landers.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Do they really give medals for penmanship?

I think it was a private school in the movie. Any school or club can get little ?award? medals, ribbons, plaques from trophy supply stores. The medal in the film probably cost about .50?

If you want to talk about a really good, campy, "killer kiddie" movie, my all-time fave is 1941's Tomorrow: the World! where Fredric March adopts a Nazi youth named Emil. It's the most outrageous comedy of the 1940's hands down.

Honorable mention in the genre should go to the 1990's Macauley Culkin/Elijah Wood buffet of hilarity The Good Son which is The Bad Seed of my generation,

You all just know they're gonna remake The Bad Seed someday, don't you?

JohnnyG, I've never seen *The Good Son*, I must be a lot older than you. But I have seen *Tomorrow, the World* a few times. A war orphan who is turned around from his brainwashing by loving Americans. Same as the Greek youth in *Woman of the Year*. That's different from a psychopath, without a conscience, who is incapable in knowing right from wrong. That is Rhoda in *The Bad Seed*, and in *In Cold Blood* just shown on TCM.

(Hmmm, Bobby Blake... does reality imitate reality?)

.JonnyGeetar wrote:

<< You all just know they're gonna remake The Bad Seed someday, don't you? >>

They already did. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088766/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was searching - bad seed remake - under Google Images and this was the first thing popped up on the screen, LOL! If they only.....never mind.

shirley.jpg

Here is a nice color photo of Patty McCormack.

*Hi, I'm Rhoda, wanna play?*

500full.jpg

!

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 22, 2011 9:00 PM

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> .JonnyGeetar wrote:

> << You all just know they're gonna remake The Bad Seed someday, don't you? >>

>

> They already did. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088766/

>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> I was searching - bad seed remake - under Google Images and this was the first thing popped up on the screen, LOL! If they only.....never mind.

>

>

> shirley.jpg

>

> Edited by: hamradio on Feb 22, 2011 9:00 PM

Love the Shirley Temple as killer pic! Can't you see her warbling "Animal Crackers" and tap dancing around as she dismembers her vitctim? Twinkling away the whole time?

*I didn't realize that Nancy Kelly was in films in the '20s, '30s, and '40s.*

She had been a child actress in the late 20s-early 30s. Her career as an adult actress kicked into high gear when she signed to Fox in the late 30s and immediately given leads, while still underage. 20th seemed to do that with some regularity back then, starting off new hopefuls with important roles. The studio had high hopes that she might step in where Loretta Young no longer wished to tread, as Miss Young was about to walk away from the studio. Two of Nancy's best known films, JESSE JAMES and STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE came out in 1939 (You can see a real-time buildup vis a vis columnists in the 1939 Thread in Your Favorites). Within a year however, she would be starring in B films (SAILOR'S LADY) or programmers on loan (ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS), with the occasional second lead in A products (TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI). After a few years, she preferred working on-stage than in ever less stellar celluloid endeavors.

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 23, 2011 5:49 PM

Yes, I enjoy it too. It's really bad, but in a GOOD way. (Nancy Kelly is so over the top!) But there are some good performances in it. Eileen Heckart for one. The guy who played the handyman.....

The movie is totally ruined by that tacked on ending showing the cast.............I wont reveal it, but it's SOOOO BAD. I know the play ended differently and it was changed to appease the code. How does the play end, does anyone know? Does Nancy Kelly do the deed in the play too?

Whatever happened to Patty McCormack? I know she did a few films after that, then more or less disappeared.

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 25, 2011 9:41 AM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote} I know the play ended differently and it was changed to appease the code. How does the play end, does anyone know? Does Nancy Kelly do the deed in the play too?

I believe the imdb trivia entry for the film divulges the ending for the play and the reasons for the spanking scene...If not that, I'm sure the wikipedia entry for the play or movie does.

I remember reading it after seeing the movie a year ago. The original ending is very pro-Rhoda.

Having raised two daughters, "The Bad Seed" was sort of a cult favorite around this house. Some years ago, I went to see it performed live at a small theater in West Hollywood. The twist was, this was a hilarious, gender bending version of TBS. All the roles were switched. Rhoda was a six foot tall guy who needed a shave, on roller blades wearing a pinafore. The audience was encouraged to shout LEROY! whenever the janitor (a toolbelt-wearing gal) appeared. "Mr. Daigle" was a mustachioed handpuppet operated by "Mrs. Daigle", (a black drag queen with smeared makeup), which made his few, conciliatory lines that much more funny, especially to "Bad Seed" aficionados!

LOL. Sound hilarious. I've always thought TBS would be great as a comedy send up! (John Waters style)........

"Hortense, hasnt a lick of sense, let's write her name on the privy fence...."

How many women were named Hortense? Even back then? (LOL) What did they call her for short? HOR? :D

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 25, 2011 12:33 PM

The Bad Seed was an excellent movie portraying the mind of a child that has not morals or concience of the acts she does to get what she wants, It brings to mind the fact that when a child is born that there is already the type of personality it will grow up to be. Yes, you can raise a child in the right environment and give the positive morals and teachings of the way a normal human being should act, but to a certain extent I feel that even before the child is born they are going to grow up a certain way no matter what environment. For example, you take two children born into the same home with the same environment and one grows up with good morals and acts within the scope of a normal human being. The other child under the same conditions, acts and behaves with negative personality traits and does selfish acts to get what they want no matter the consequences. It is a good movie for all the psychiatrists to ponder and explore how and why this happens. But all in all it is a great movie to see. I would not be surprised to hear that some who have seen this movie have it in mind when deciding whether or not to have a child to begin with. Just a thought. Julie