Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All the King's Men: Hoo-boy, this ain't too good!

JonnyGeetar

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> Borgnine is coming up in one of my favorite films on March 1st on FMC The Emperor of the North

The Lee Marvin part (in what was originally titled "Emperor of the North Pole") was first offered to Charlton Heston, who turned it down.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> In retrospect, the only Best Actor nominee who really derserved to even be there was Kirk Douglas, John Wayne (who was actually offered Crawford's role in King's Men and turned it down) should have got the nomination for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Cagney should have been there for White Heat.

Wayne's part in THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA, for which he was nominated for the '49 Best Actor Oscar, had originally been offered to...Kirk Douglas, who went against his own agent's advice and chose to do CHAMPION, instead.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

>

> Do you think the "10 Commandments" was actually shot in Egypt?

The exteriors for the 1956 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS were shot in Egypt.

As a fan of the book, you'd think I would not like the movie. But I do. It's a tiny piece of the story. Pretty much a separate work. But as that, it plays pretty well. The characters are broad, but theatrical. Neither Crawford nor Ireland were great actors, but they project stereotypes that get the point across. I enjoy the sketch of story the filmmakers chose to focus on. It's not a great film by any means. But it's enough to hold my interest.

I like the remake too. A little more realistic, the content more mature. This one also takes only the surface of Robert Penn Warren's great novel. But that's a good choice. How would you show all that depth in a movie? Being a classic movie fan, I prefer Robert Rossen's trim, atmospheric take. But both films are worth watching, and the book will knock your socks off. I'm not sure what will happen if you read barefoot!

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:}{quote}

> *HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE 2006 REMAKE? I THINK IT'S FAR SUPERIOR A FILM THEN THE ORIGINAL*. There's been this debate on whether or not the film should be considered a remake. While not a block-buster dramatic success, the 2006 version does stay somewhat faithful to the novel. Certainly, Sean Penn in the title role of Willie Stark does give the character a certain amount of credibility that Crawford seemed to lack along the lines of intensity and a ferocious, predatory attitude.

>

Sean Penn was horrendous. He bore about as much resemblance to Huey Long as a newly arrived Vulcan.

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}

>

> Wayne's part in THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA, for which he was nominated for the '49 Best Actor Oscar, had originally been offered to...Kirk Douglas, who went against his own agent's advice and chose to do CHAMPION, instead.

>

>

According to Kirk Douglas' memoirs, he turned down the Melvyn Douglas role in The Great Sinner to do Champion..

I think ALL THE KINGS MEN's notoriety and success (including at the Academy Awards) was due, in large part, to its riding the coat tails of the book having recently been awarded the Pulitzer Prize. While seen today, Crawford's performance was a harbinger of things to come, back in '49 it was seen as a breakout performance as he had, for the most part, been seen in B films and minor A films at Universal for the bulk of his screen career-to-date. The film was also stocked with several industry-favorite radio performers like McCambridge, Anne Seymour, Walter Burke and Will Wright who, except for Wright, were fresh faces to the cinema. Columbia's promotional campaign was huge and the film was sold as big prestige. They also flooded the trade magazines with continual ads heralding the ongoing box office receipts and theater holdovers. This was the studio's biggest triumph since THE JOLSON STORY and I think it was a tidal wave of publicity that rode it to victory at the Oscars.

I think Rossen's next picture, THE BRAVE BULLS, is a much better film. It just didn't have the "oscarmazoola" that ALL THE KINGS MEN had.

BTW - a bit of trivia. Lisping Ralph Dumke, who played Tiny Duffy, started out in minstrel shows and, for a time, was part of a comedy team with Ed East, both performing on radio as the "Sisters of the Skillet"!