Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Great Gatsby - All 3 Versions

lovetogarden

Unfortunately, *THE GREAT GATSBY (Paramount, 1926),* Starring Warner Baxter as Jay Gatsby and Lois Wilson as Daisy Buchanan, with Neil Hamilton as Nick Carraway, Georgia Hale as Myrtle Wilson, William Powell as George Wilson, and Hale Hamilton as Tom Buchanan is considered Lost.

However, rumor has it that this film does indeed exist in a European Archive. I'm just not sure which one? Supposedly, there are another 75 Silent films in New Zealand that the Library of Congress wants, in addition to the 75 that were shipped back to the States last May. We can only hope this is one of them.

It would be wonderful to see a version of the story that was actually made during the 20's. Lois Wilson received high praise for her portrayal of Daisy.

There was a 2000 television film adaptation by the A&E Cable Network, in conjunction with British based Granada Productions. This fourth version starred Mira Sorvino, Toby Stephens, Martin Donovan and Paul Rudd. The wonderful and legendary composer, Carl Davis (so noted for his silent film scores) wrote the music score. If interested, the television version is readily available on DVD. It?s of course hoped that this fifth version about to be made will once and for all become symbolic or the definitive version of Fitzgerald?s original concept.

Has the 1949 version shown on TCM? Have never seen it, and I'd love to. Ruth Hussey sounds like an ideal Jordan Baker!

In the '74, I thought Mia Farrow was a good Daisy, but Redford just wasn't my idea of a fascinating enigma. Gorgeous production values though.

Leonardo DiCaprio is set to play Gatsby next, with Tobey McGuire as Nick. Looking forward to it.

"The Great Gatsby" is my favorite American novel of all time. I first read it almost 35 years ago and I can still recite passages by heart. So much if it's beauty and impact come from it's language, so it really makes it difficult to translate to the screen. Even when the movie makers use a lot of voice-over narration, using exact text from the novel, it somehow loses a great deal of its potency. I , too, never cared for the 1974 version, also thinking that both Redford and Farrow were miscast. Redford seemed too old and bored. The worst piece of miscasting for me, though, was Bruce Dern as Tom Buchanan. Cartoon villainy at is finest. (worst?)...I remember seeing bits of the TV version about 10 years ago, but not enough to make a judgement. As much as I love movies, "The Great Gatsby" just might be one of those books that will never be successfully made into a movie. I'm ok with that.

Jeff is correct: the silent version of *The Great Gatsby* is considered lost. As I remember the 40s version with Alan Ladd, it didn't follow the book as well as the 70s version with Robert Redford. The 40s version was played as a noir film with the men Ladd, Macdonald Carey, Barry Sullivan) having major roles and the women (Betty Field, Shelley Winters, Ruth Warrick) all reduced to support. But I haven't watched it in a while.

The upcoming version will apparently be a 3-D film with DiCaprio, Maguire (as mentioned) and with Carey Mulligan as Daisy.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}

> I really don't understand the point of re-making Gatsby in 3 - D ?!

"A Flapper In Your Lap!"

It is being directed by Baz Luhrmann--who as we all know likes to tell a story on maximum overdrive, rather than going for subtlety. You can rest assured it will not be a safe, faithful, predictable, Merchant-Ivory-ish adapation.

His recreation of Moulin Rouge was pretty incredible...if he lends this to 1920s New York, it could be quite spectacular in 3D.

Apparently the trailer for the '26 version is still extant and was even included on a compilation DVD. Perhaps some considerate soul will upload it to YouTube.

As a poster alluded earlier, the '49 essentially forces the novel into a film noir format (roughly similar to the All The King's Men novel-to-film process). During one montage, Gatsby even participates in a drive-by shooting!

If you can accept that, the film is very good on its own terms. Ladd is infinitely more believable as an ex-gangster than Redford, and surprisingly vulnerable in the Daisy scenes, showing a sensitivity that George Stevens would later get credit for drawing out of him. IMHO this, not Shane, is his best-ever performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell me that the Baz Luhrman version being in 3-D is a joke.

I don't understand the 3-D fad--it doesn't really add anything to the film for me, actually it takes away the sharpness of the picture.

I like the casting, though--DiCaprio and Maguire--brilliant.

I didn't mind Redford in the 1974 film, but I didn't get Mia Farrow as Daisy. She was too subdued or something--not flapper-ish.

Sandy K

This situation of the 3D isn't so much of a joke, in that it's all

about a marketing ploy for the movie. It's presumed that the film

will be shot along the usual 3D format of having objects tossed

about and wide vistas of the area in and around Long Island,

where the movie will be filmed. Already, the sets and various

locations are being organized and planned. Yet, for all the fuss

that might be made about the 3D issue, it's likely that the film will

have a better acceptance or response as a standard flat (2D) version.

One main reason for the 3D is at least giving this fourth version a

totally different outlook and interest towards the general public.

Today, with so much gaming and computer generated items it

might not be considered such an outlandish idea to utilize this

method to present the film.

Now they charge more money for 3-D films - I still don't see how a period drama like "Gatsby" would benefit from the process. I did pay extra to see "TRON: Legacy" in IMAX- 3-D and it was worth it because that movie was all about FX spectacle.