Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I guess it needs to be said at least once a year or so, and Oscar time seems like a good a time as any. I love old movies. I love classic movies. I love the movies that are a staple on TCM and they are the reason I joined this site and find it continuously fascinating....BUT ...

That does NOT mean that I stopped loving movies at some point. I still love movies. Yes, even movies made today.

I find it extremely tiresome that I have to constantly read that people here 'have no use for today's movies', that nothing good ever comes out of modern Hollywood (which, by some folks's standards applies to anything after 1949, lol)

There is a lot of garbage being made today. So what's new?? There always has been. There are also some great movies being made by wonderful directors starring fantastic young (THERE, I SAID IT) actors and actresses. In the end, isn't that what matters?

My love for the old classics is in no way diminished by my love of current, contemporary movies.

Again, thanks for listening.

> {quote:title=ennisdelmar2 wrote:}{quote}

> I find it extremely tiresome that I have to constantly read that people here 'have no use for today's movies',

You are forced to do this? Someone forces you to read that stuff?

Ennis,

I hope this helps: you are not alone. I, too, love film and am not beholding to it being only films before some specific cut-off point.

I'm looking forward to the Oscars and really enjoyed both *True Grit*, *The Social Network*, *The Kids are Alright*, *The Town* and even *Robin Hood* - all recent, modern films.

There are plenty of good actors working today and even some great ones. The classic era stars when the time came passed the baton, good acting did not die with them nor did good directing or good stories.

I love movies, too, Ennis. :-)

While I really do prefer the older, classic films, I am always game for a good newer one. Last weekend I watched RED at the urging of a family member and had the best time. John Malkovich was marvelous and the whole cast had terrific chemistry. This family member was the same one who got me to watch Waking Ned Devine and Saving Grace some years ago, amongst others, so they've got a pretty good track record, lol. I'm also looking forward to The King's Speech.

So, yes, I totally agree with you that there are good movies to be had out there no matter the year they were made, and some very fine actors and actresses in the current crop.

It's not just people posting here, the box office shows the same thing-

"Down over 25 percent year-to-year, the domestic box office will not be looking to catch up this weekend, with moviegoers pre-occupied on Sunday with the Academy Awards."

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> I'm looking forward to the Oscars and really enjoyed both *True Grit*, *The Social Network*, *The Kids are Alright*, *The Town* and even *Robin Hood* - all recent, modern films.

Robin Hood?? Didn't that receive three Oscars in 1939? Is it up again for more Oscars?

"My love for the old classics is in no way diminished by my love of current, contemporary movies."

Good for you, ennisdelmar ! I am in complete agreement with you about this. I also love movies, I love film as a great medium for both art and entertainment, and that includes films from all eras. I don't have a "If you like this, than you can't like that" attitude about it." There have always been bad movies, and there have always been and still are good movies, from 1910 to 2010.

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 25, 2011 12:22 PM

(Thought it might be a bit too early to say 1911 to 2011 )

So happy to see that there are real people who are going to watch the Awards. I don't think I've missed but one or two in the last 40 years. My husband says entertainment is continually patting its industry on the back. I agree, because sometimes the industry has to do that. So much of what is considered entertainment is just worthless. But the movies (good and bad) are hopefully here to stay, and we know that those people live in a different world. And God knows we need an alternative to watching the world lose its collective mind on the news channels. So here's to popcorn, soda, and a three- or four-hour sojourn on the sofa in front of the big screen TV. And this year, since I've discovered TCM message boards, I can hear what other real people have to say afterwards.

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> Robin Hood is coming on tomorrow on TCM, let the arrows fly.

"Let the arrows fly" what? Is this a friendly "heads up" of a classic "swashbuckler"/adventure film that just about everybody likes? If so, great, thanks for the reminder.

I will assume that's what you meant, the other interpretation being that there might possibly be some kind of an argument about TCM showing the 1938 *Robin Hood*. Who's going to object to that? As has been stated here, just because someone likes new movies does not mean they dislike old movies.

jbh,

I've been watching the Academy Awards for over 40 years and will be watching this year. Over the years, despite some technical flaws and the whole time issue, there have been many, many moving moments that I'm glad I saw in real time. From Charlie Chaplin to John Wayne to Myrna Loy to Cary Grant and more, they have provided many of the highlights that people still talk about.

I am so glad all of you have contributed to this thread about your love of cinema, no matter what era, no matter the genre. I get so sick and tired of reading there are no good films produced since 1970, 1960, 1949. TCM should not schedule films from the 1990s and the last decade because these films are too recent to have the word/term "classic" placed next to the title. ?

What is "classic"? "Classic", like art, is in the eyes of the beholder. ?"Classic" is a movie which after you seen it the movie stays within you for a day, a week, a year, a lifetime. ? What is a "classic" movie? ?It's "Sunnyside Up" and "Little Miss Sunshine". ?It's "On the Waterfront" and "The Departed". ?It's "42nd Street" and "Chicago". ?It's "Stagecoach" and "Unforgiven". ?Many in TCM Nation do not believe the most recent movies, should be given the "classic" title as of yet. The movie has to be released at least 30, 40 years to be christen "classic". That's rubbish. How many people had a positive feel good after-effect which stayed within them after viewing the movie? ?Maybe we should define an instant "classic" movie as any movie nominated for "Best Picture". ?Many in TCM Nation have blasted TCM for presenting "Thelma and Louise" and "Forrest Gump" as classic movies. ? I want to side and give my support to TCM for presenting both of these movies. Since their respective release dates not only have there been mostly positive feedback from viewers of these movies but also from the Academy Awards which honored both of these films. ?

I love cinema from its humble beginning to the most recent. I encourage and support TCM to continue scheduling movies from all eras not a certain period of time. ?

Oh dear, I really tire of having to read these dreary apologia for current movies and culture.

I stopped going to the cinema about 5 years ago. It finally dawned on me that I would leave the theatre with an empty feeling, as if I'd just wasted the previous 2 hours of my life.

Its different when I watch old movies (those completed prior to 1949.) Its not just that they knew their craft better, and concentrated on dialogue and meaning rather than special effects, T&A and trying to launch the next catch-phrase. Its that they were from a different time. I can escape the wretchedness of contemporary culture (or lack thereof.) I feel a closer connection to those people who lived all those years ago, and who mercifully died before witnessing the decline of civilization.

If you people want to continue to blind yourselves to the cultural decimation all around you, well, I guess you can't be stopped. But you are part of the problem. And I repudiate you for it.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

> > And I repudiate you for it.

>

> Guess I'll just have to refudiate you for it... :P

See what I mean about decline of culture and literacy? The word is "repudiate", toots. Look it up.

*"Guess I'll just have to refudiate you for it..."* - VX

And here I was going to quote F. Murray Abraham at the end of *Amadeus* -

"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

"Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all."

But I like yours better.

Kyle In Hollywood

*See what I mean about decline of culture and literacy? The word is "repudiate", toots. Look it up.*

I suspect Val knows, he is just responding to your narrow-mindedness.

To your way thinking none of us should be watching or liking or loving (to name a few):

*Sunset Blvd*, *All About Eve*, *A Star is Born*, *Born Yesterday*, *Spartacus*, *Some Like It Hot*, *The Apartment*, *The Naked Spur*, *The Man from Laramie*, *Seven Men from Now*, *To Kill a Mockingbird*, *Ride the High Country*, *Oliver! *, *Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf*, *The Graduate*, *Bonnie and Clyde*, *True Grit*, *Ann of a Thousand Days*, *The Great Escape*, *American Graffiti*, *The Godfather*, *The Godfather II*, *Once Upon a Time in the West*, *The Sound of Music*, *Mary Poppins*, and hundreds of other films that have brought joy, tears and thought to many of us over the years.

But, they were all made after 1949 so chances are, you don't agree.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *See what I mean about decline of culture and literacy? The word is "repudiate", toots. Look it up.*

>

> I suspect Val knows, he is just responding to your narrow-mindedness.

>

> To your way thinking none of us should be watching or liking or loving (to name a few):

> *Sunset Blvd*, *All About Eve*, *A Star is Born*, *Born Yesterday*, *Spartacus*, *Some Like It Hot*, *The Apartment*, *The Naked Spur*, *The Man from Laramie*, *Seven Men from Now*, *To Kill a Mockingbird*, *Ride the High Country*, *Oliver! *, *Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf*, *The Graduate*, *Bonnie and Clyde*, *True Grit*, *Ann of a Thousand Days*, *The Great Escape*, *American Graffiti*, *The Godfather*, *The Godfather II*, *Once Upon a Time in the West*, *The Sound of Music*, *Mary Poppins*, and hundreds of other films that have brought joy, tears and thought to many of us over the years.

>

> But, they were all made after 1949 so chances are, you don't agree.

I like many of those movies. I was referencing "1949" because that's what the unintelligent OP mentioned when he was singling me out.

Personally I think the decline began in 1973, and accelerated with the unfortunate Star Wars in 1977. Also, Shpielberg's coming of age with the Jaws and the Close Encounters and all that other summer blockbuster malarky with the CGI and the animatronics and whatnot.

> {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

> > > And I repudiate you for it.

> >

> > Guess I'll just have to refudiate you for it... :P

>

>

> See what I mean about decline of culture and literacy? The word is "repudiate", toots. Look it up.

"Refudiate" is a word invented by Sarah Palin. Besides being a film junkie, I'm a news junkie. I thought that one got wide enough play that most people would have heard of it. Presumably it is a blend of repudiate, and refute. If you want to know more, there's always 'the google.' ;)

> {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > *See what I mean about decline of culture and literacy? The word is "repudiate", toots. Look it up.*

> >

> > I suspect Val knows, he is just responding to your narrow-mindedness.

> >

> > To your way thinking none of us should be watching or liking or loving (to name a few):

> > *Sunset Blvd*, *All About Eve*, *A Star is Born*, *Born Yesterday*, *Spartacus*, *Some Like It Hot*, *The Apartment*, *The Naked Spur*, *The Man from Laramie*, *Seven Men from Now*, *To Kill a Mockingbird*, *Ride the High Country*, *Oliver! *, *Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf*, *The Graduate*, *Bonnie and Clyde*, *True Grit*, *Ann of a Thousand Days*, *The Great Escape*, *American Graffiti*, *The Godfather*, *The Godfather II*, *Once Upon a Time in the West*, *The Sound of Music*, *Mary Poppins*, and hundreds of other films that have brought joy, tears and thought to many of us over the years.

> >

> > But, they were all made after 1949 so chances are, you don't agree.

The Graduate wasn't really very good, especially how he winds up with the chick at the end even though he's obviously disturbed and he boffed her mom. I mean, come on, what self respecting broad is going to hook up with a guy who's been banging her mama.

And I never saw American Graffiti, but I hear it was directed by George Lucas, who is a first rate goon and a moron and more than any other person is responsible for the destruction of the modern world (a bit of hyperbole, I admit, but I'm waxing poetic.)

*I like many of those movies. I was referencing "1949" because that's what the unintelligent OP mentioned when he was singling me out.*

You are not the only around here that believes in the 1949 cut-off date. There are other posters here who have written that, too so Ennis may not have been "singling" you out.

So, is he unintelligent because he likes movies of all decades or because you feel he "singled" you out?

Either way, that sort of name-calling is not condoned here. You may not agree with him but calling him names is unwarranted.

Edited by: lzcutter

A little touchy, are we, lazycutter? I know your tactics. You're trying to coax the mod into banning. Not gonna work, sweetie. Not by a long shot.

Everyone is entitled to air their opinions here. And I've been more than respectful despite the very rude, hostile, snarky reception I've received from 90% of the regulars around here, and that includes you, so you can get down off your high horse, now.

*A little touchy, are we, lazycutter? I know your tactics. You're trying to coax the mod into banning.*

They don't need any coaxing, you are doing a find job all on your own.