Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Bus Stop" Marilyn Monroe today 2/25

FredCDobbs

FredCDobbs

OK, I get it!. You (and others) must like to see your names in print or you are addicted to posting (14,388!!)I. Why else would you feel it necessary to tell readers that Bus Stop (or other movies) are on today's schedule (or tomorrow's, etc.)? And go so far as copying the write up as well?Don't you think we can look at the schedule ourselves? Isn't that how you came by the information?

Edited by: arnie13 on Feb 25, 2011 3:30 PM

Edited by: arnie13 on Feb 25, 2011 3:34 PM

> {quote:title=arnie13 wrote:}{quote}

> FredCDobbs

> OK, I get it!. You (and others) must like to see your names in print or you are addicted to posting (14,388!!)I. Why else would you feel it necessary to tell readers that Bus Stop (or other movies) are on today's schedule (or tomorrow's, etc.)? And go so far as copying the write up as well?Don't you think we can look at the schedule ourselves? Isn't that how you came by the information?

>

> Edited by: arnie13 on Feb 25, 2011 3:30 PM

>

> Edited by: arnie13 on Feb 25, 2011 3:34 PM

There are quite a lot of Marilyn Monroe fans on the board, and sometimes they neglect to look up the daily schedule. Some of the newer members aren?t even aware of the schedule page or how to find it. I forgot to post this notice earlier in the week. If you don?t want to read my notices, click on ?Ignore Member? under my name.

You mean there are no actual comments about the movie? I think this is Marilyn's best performance in any film she ever made. Her character is so completely different here. I've had this picture on DVD for nearly a decade. Kind of surprised this did not air in Prime-time.

For people who don't think that Monroe was much of an actress they apparently have not seen BUS STOP?

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

>

> For people who don't think that Monroe was much of an actress they apparently have not seen BUS STOP?

I noticed that. The movie was a little silly in some ways, but I noticed how good her acting was. Her facial expressions were just right. She seemed to know exactly what the director wanted.

It is Marilyn's best performance, and also her least sexiest. That seems to come up often with Hollywood sex symbols. Just like Grace Kelly in The Country Girl and Liz Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

She also play herself in this film. A vulnerable woman who gets taken advantage and is unable to escape what she fears. Only difference is that the film ends happily, unlike her life.

Marilyn wasn't a great actress, but she was a good actress and a tremendous screen presence. It's not even related to looks. There are plenty of attractive actresses who have no screen presence. She just had that on-screen charm that can't really be described in words or learned through acting lessons.

I wish she had more roles like Bus Stop, but in those days, women didn't have the independence they do now in Hollywood. Zanuck didn't want her doing anything other than dumb blonde roles.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > An innocent cowboy kidnaps a small-time singer with whom he's infatuated.

> >

>

> An innocent kidnapper? That's an odd concept, especially for you, Fred.

That was TCM?s synopsis of the film.

I think their use of the word ?innocent? meant he had never been with a woman before, while the woman he wanted to marry had been with lots of men.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> True, but it was a daring choice to allow her to look so pale and different than what the audience was used to from her.

I noticed how white and pale she looked, especially in close-ups of her and him. Why do you suppose they made her look that way?

I honestly have no idea.

Maybe to show the audience right away that this isn't the same dumb blonde innocent girl you've been used to in previous films. Or maybe it had to do with the play itself or its previous adaptations.

I've never been good with metaphors, though, so I don't know the exact reason and my guesses admittedly aren't that great.

I actually remembered to watch this one. I hadnt seen it in many years. Monroe was so good in this (Don Murray too) It's a shame she didnt get a nomination. But 20th was backing King and I that year........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> I seem to remember she and Josh Logan came up with very white pasty make-up since it's commented on that she sleeps all day and works all night, so she was never outside in the sun......

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I guess I just missed that line.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> The pastiness didn't make her any less sexy, IMHO. Maybe, though, I just wasn't paying attention.

I wasn't looking at her face most of the time. I didn't notice how white her face was until they shot a close-up of it near the end of the movie.