Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Credits - and a pet peeve

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

>

> I actually thought it was an excuse to run the complete soundtrack again, drum it into people's heads to get them to run out and buy the LP/Cassette or later the CD.

Nah, if that were the case, they would have better music. Even if replayed, bad music doesn't get better the second time you hear it.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> The moral of the story is: watch the credits! :)

Years ago I payed little attention to screen credits. I was mainly interested in the actors. As my interest in classic movies grew, I paid more and more atention to the folks "behind the camera" and began to study them. What interesting things I've learned!

I wondered why, in every MGM film, Cedric Gibbons is credited as Art Director. "Wow!" I thought, "Cedric must have been one busy guy!" So I began to read about him. Mr. Gibbons was so highly regarded at the studio that his contract stated he receive screen credit for every MGM film. He was credited with over 1,500 but actually worked on about 150. Cedric Gibbons was one of the founding members of the Academy and he designed the Oscar statuette.

Adrian Greenberg didn't care for his surname and became just "Adrian." He began the trend of the one-name fashion designer. How many times have we seen "Gowns by Adrian" in screen credits? Not only did Adrian feel uncomfortable with his Jewish heritage, he was equally uncomfortable being gay. That's why he married Janet Gaynor.

I agree with Valentine wholeheartedly: watch the credits!

Speaking of credits: can anyone identify the music during the closing credits of *Frances?* I'd really like to know.

One of my forvorite old classic end titles is "The Bride of Frankenstein". Having the Bride credited with only *?.*

I hate end titles that are way too small to read or like on some channels, go by at 80 mph.

Some has artwork embedded within it like "WALL-E", do anyone thinks its a distraction or adds to the theme of the movie? Now the beginning credits is another matter, always loved the "Pink Panther" comical titles.

This artwork is a bit too bold

0.jpg

Here's one artwork that takes up half of the end credits.

CB_EndTitles_SShot_05.jpg

How many of you rather have NO end titles at all but the classic *The End^

the%2Bend.JPG

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 1, 2011 1:22 PM Typo

*The End* group is from a Trendspiration website who is in the process of building a list of all of the ending credits throughout film history. The way its worded, it might have more than MGM and Warner Brothers. That will be a unique database.

http://trendspiration.blogspot.com/2011/02/end-of-metro-goldwyn-mayer-warner-bros.html

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 1, 2011 1:29 PM

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

>

> *I loathe the use of already recorded songs in film* with the exception of Woody Allen's use of classic jazz tunes, it horribly dates the film and just comes off as a cheap shot.

>

I can't agree with that! Many films are greatly enhanced, even dependent, on great scores composed of released versions well-known tunes. *American Graffiti*, *The Big Chill*, and *Apocalypse Now*, just to name a few. Do they "date" these films? No more than the subject of the film does. And to me, they certainly don't come across as "cheap."

OK, I'm gonna guess the sepia "THE END" in the middle is from THE WIZARD OF OZ. (and the middle one bottom row THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE haha)

The last one in the middle row is that film with Clark Gable where he sings "Puttin On The Ritz"? Costarring Norma Shearer?

And the one with the lion butt has animation at the beginning of a mouse taking the thorn from his paw. Can't recall the movie name.

I always notice the fonts in titles. I once designed a business card for myself based on old title cards stating, "Soo stars in...GAL WITHOUT A JOB"

> What I'd like to know is what was the first film to usher in the modern practice of listing every damn credit at the end of a film and why was that started?

That Wiki answer someone linked still doesn't provide the answer as to WHY the practice was started, but it's easy to reason out: Over the years, too many creative personnel who worked on movies were simply overlooked, and I'd guess that at some point the various unions insisted that if a director/actor/etc. got credited, then THEY should get credit.

Not too hard to figure out.

Most ridiculous credits length-wise? The DVD releases (I never saw them theatrically) of the Lord of The Rings movies....Peter Jackson, for some bizarre reason, insisted on crediting everyone on the LOTR fan club or something....and the credits go on for over 15 danged minutes! Did he REALLY expect anyone to sit through all those? When I watch the LOTR movies, when the credits start at the end I stop the DVD.

The now-old gag of having an additional clip or scene AFTER the end credits finish? Who the hell knows....it can be frustrating if one doesn't sit through to the very end of the film. Sometimes such a clip can be funny and suggest something "to follow" (such as the shot of Skeletor at the very end of Masters of The Universe....a fave of mine), or they can be pointless.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> > What I'd like to know is what was the first film to usher in the modern practice of listing every damn credit at the end of a film and why was that started?

>

> That Wiki answer someone linked still doesn't provide the answer as to WHY the practice was started, but it's easy to reason out: Over the years, too many creative personnel who worked on movies were simply overlooked, and I'd guess that at some point the various unions insisted that if a director/actor/etc. got credited, then THEY should get credit.

>

> Not too hard to figure out.

But, does it make sense? What difference does it make? Do they have Academy award categories for every thing and every person credited at the end of a film? Best Gaffer in a film, Best Film crew Caterer, ETC. It get's to a point where it's ridiculous.

> But, does it make sense? What difference does it make? It get's to a point where it's ridiculous.

I agree.

If I'm not mistaken, those who are "guild" members _must_ be credited according to their contracts. Every business must sign up for some guild just to be in the biz in Hollywood.

For others, like caterers & drivers, it may be a negotiation point, "Will you do it for less $ if we put your name in the credits?" Then that caterer can say, "Look, we brought food for so & so on XX film".

I know someone who works for a special effects company building props. The company is the owners name so in credits "special effects.....Joe Doakes" even though twenty people worked on the props, their names are not listed and it looks like one guy did everything. They know who they are and they're proud to build for that company.

But nowadays I see EVERY animators name listed in credits, instead of just stating, "Korean Unit". I think that's weird. You work for the company, just list the company's name, not every single person that works there.

And I will state again, my disdain for "personals" stating every baby born and every relative who died during the making of a film. NO ONE CARES.

Believe it or not, I nearly lost it about 9 years ago due to an obsession about movie credits.

I have OCD since childhood; it became my mission to memorize every screen credit -- the more obscure the better -- of every movie I've ever enjoyed...or hated! Got to the point where I was about 90% accurate even down to Monogram.

Downside: completely absurd activity, insomnia and eventually had to up my meds.