• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan of Arc shortened version

MovieMadness

Sunday afternoon:

2:30 Pacific time 3:30 Mountain time 4:30 Central time 5:30 Eastern time

Joan Of Arc (1948)

A farm girl's faith unites France against British invaders.

Cast: Ingrid Bergman, Selena Royle, Robert Barrat, James Lydon

Director: Victor Fleming C-100 mins

*"Just in case, program your DVR to run long enough to record the entire, uncut film. More than once an edited version has been listed, but a full length version shown."* - VX

Not a bad strategy. Definitely worth the effort.

I think TCM was anticipating having the 145m version to show. The time slot for the film does last two and a half hours. But with the shorter version,TCM has resorted to showing two long "short subjects" to fill nearly 45 min after *Joan Of Arc*.

4:14 PM (PST) *Short Film: Service With The Colors* (1940) C-21 mins,

4:39 PM (PST) *Short Film: Sons Of Liberty* (1939) A patriotic short chronicling the efforts of underground leader and military financier Haym Salomon during the American Revolution. Starring Claude Rains as Haym Salomon. Directed by Michael Curtiz. Cast: Claude Rains Dir: Michael Curtiz C-21 mins,

*Joan Of Arc* is also scheduled to be shown on March 12th - and is again set to fill a 150m timeslot. Maybe TCM can get the long version for showing by then.

Kyle In Hollywood

The roasting of Bergman was nothing compared to what the critics ...and audiences gave this film in 1948 and 1949.This "exercise in ennui" had two hour 25 minute exclusive Road Show engagements in 1949, but the Road Shows quickly became No Shows. RKO then gave poor Joan a general release in 1949 with a chopped up shortened version. It fared poorly. This overstuffed spectacle cost $4.5 million and by 1951 had made $6 million. Not nearly enough to cover production and distribution coast. So RKO wrote it up as a $3 million loss.Director Fleming died two months after "Joan of Arc" was released.and Bergman ended up on Stromboli.Still "Joan of Arc" became the first picture to win an Oscar in the new catagory of Color Costume design.

Here's hoping in March, TCM will get the 145 minute version. Very few people have seen the original production except for those who saw the exclusive Road Show screenings in 1948. This much maligned spectacle may be much better in it's entirety. The audiences of today may see it in a new light since so many moviegoers sixty years ago attacked it for Bergman's lifestyle not the production values which must have been impressive to win several Oscars.

> {quote:title=kaleman wrote:}{quote}

> The audiences of today may see it in a new light since so many moviegoers sixty years ago attacked it for Bergman's lifestyle

I?ve heard this rumor for years, but I was a kid then and I don?t remember moviegoers attacking Bergman for her lifestyle. I remember that whenever there was some scandal about a Hollywood star, that made their next movie more popular. The stars had been gossiped about in the tabloid press, regular newspapers, and movie fan magazines for decades. The public loved the gossip, and they seemed to love going to the movies right after some new gossip was published.

The biggest and most classic case was with Marilyn Monroe. The more gossip about her, the more people went to see her movies.

*I?ve heard this rumor for years, but I was a kid then and I don?t remember moviegoers attacking Bergman for her lifestyle.*

*Joan of Arc* was made before she met Roberto Rossellini and their love affair created such a scandal. She did, however, have a passionate affair with *Arc's* director, Victor Fleming.

Once her affair with Rossellini became known and she chose Rossellini over her husband, Peter Lindstrom, Bergman was denounced by various decency groups, on the floor of the Senate as well as by the Vatican for her relationship with Rossellini.

She chose love over her film career and it was four years before she appeared again in an American financed studio picture. *Anatasia* was her comeback.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> Once her affair with Rossellini became known and she chose Rossellini over her husband, Peter Lindstrom, Bergman was denounced by various decency groups, on the floor of the Senate as well as by the Vatican for her relationship with Rossellini.

Yeah, but those aren?t ?moviegoers?. You and I are ?moviegoers?.

Back in the ?40s and ?50s, if the Senate and the Vatican denounced some movie star, that would cause millions of more people to go out and see their next movie.

Marilyn Monroe was denounced by every ?decency? group in America, and that made her movies more popular. In fact, people went to see her movies because she was indecent. The same way back with Jean Harlow and Gretta Garbo. :)

This is what 1 reviewer said they did to the shortened version-

One might think that there were some kind of curse on films about France's national heroine. Dreyer's masterpiece The Passion of Joan of Arc was believed lost for years until a print turned up in a mental institution. And this epic by Victor Fleming had the misfortune of being released in the wake of the scandal of star Ingrid Bergman's affair with director Roberto Rossellini, and the notion of a saint being portrayed by such a sinful woman sent numerous pontificating church leaders into apoplexy. It was consequently maligned and then subjected to numerous indignities including 45 minutes being hacked out of it and superfluous voiceovers slapped on top of it. But thanks to Robert Gitt and the restoration forces at UCLA, the film has been restored to its full glory from its original negatives.

It sounds like they also hacked out complete characters in the shortened movie, should be interesting to compare the two versions. This sort of reminds me of what they did to the 1963 Cleopatra.

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> It sounds like they also hacked out complete characters in the shortened movie, should be interesting to compare the two versions. This sort of reminds me of what they did to the 1963 Cleopatra.

Well, that suggests that ?Joan of Arc? was boring, since Taylor?s ?Cleopatra? was boring. That film could have been a big hit at 1-1/2 hours, but most of the rest of the time in the film was just taken up in talking, and talking about nothing at all except what they had already talked about a dozen times.

I especially like how the action will abruptly stop and the disembodied 1950's style narrator from the fourth dimension will then step in and explain to us what is happening- or have I somehow activated my closed captioning for the vision impaired feature on my TV?

I keep expecting him to say: "Joan is a lot like many other girls her age, but Joan has a problem. Joan has an STD she got from a sailor on leave..."

Did someone think audiences in the late-forties were really bad at catching on to things? I mean,thanks for the play-by-play, Mr. Narrator, but my eyes work just fine. So do my ears, I think I can figure it out for myself.

That film could have been a big hit at 1-1/2 hours, but most of the rest of the time in the film was just taken up in talking, and talking about nothing at all except what they had already talked about a dozen times.

I think they also did some sleeping in that Cleopatra movie too, lol.

Also some wanted it broken into two movies like they do today and released sequentially I think, and that didn't happen. At the end of Cleopatra they have a scene where the army has left but no explanation, all of the scenes for that were cut out like a lot of the other parts. Too bad they didn't save the original cut as it is hard to say how good the movie was when all you have is a portion like it exists now.

With Joan of Arc it seems the same, you can see they spliced and added narration, hopefully the longer version comes in. I actually think the story of the movie is good, it takes a child to get them to fight and the will to want to win. Also the persecution at the end reminds me of a Man for All Seasons, and the corruption of the bribe to stop fighting is classic.