Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vertigoman82

Favorite James Stewart roles

Thanks, Ken.

I thought the second one was "You Can't Take It with You," but I wasn't sure. Did "No Highway in the Sky" also have Marlene Dietrich?

I haven't seen The Glenn-Miller Story. I didn't care much for him in Harvey -- not a film I enjoyed.

My favorites:

The Shop Around the Corner

Rear Window

The Philadelphia Story

Harvey was one of my favorites with James Stewart. I guess thats shows how we are all different in what we like. I also liked Shop Around the Corner too, so we agree on something!

******SPOILER AHEAD******

I love Stewart in just about everything he did, but my favorite is--

His role in After the Thin Man as the last person you'd ever suspect, and of course, that would make him the villian. But he was very good in it.

Others are:

Destry Rides Again

It's a Wonderful Life

You Can't Take It With You

Shenandoah

and many others......

There are many good ones already listed. I think he was at his best in the 50's. Winchester '73, The Man From Laramie, the Hitchcock films. Having said that my favorite is "You Can't Take It WithYou." Take your pick.

James Stewart IMHO made every character he played unique and memorable. My favorite roles he did were in Hitchcock's movies, especially Rear Window. He was able to bring honesty and true feeling to the film. You really felt sorry for his condition. You rationalized his watching the neighbors, because he made you feel sorry for him. He was able to do this in most if not all of his films.

Others that are my favorites are:

Vertigo

The Man Who Knew Too Much

I must say Harvey is my favorite Stewart film. It gets kind of loud in parts, but Stewart's role is so natural.

I also like It's a Wonderful Life, the last 10 minutes of the film are alos really loud.

No, I don't care much for noise an mayhem in movie.

They're all great, but my favorite is in Rope. All that innuendo flying around and the intensity ... but the hilarity of the scene where he makes fun of the women not remembering movie titles ... "Was it Something Something, or just plain Something?" is what does it for me.

1. Harvey

2. The Man Who Knew Too Much

3. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

4. Come Live With Me (it's not the best movie but I love the part with the flash light)

His portrayal of George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) is a beautiful tour-de-force of the average American joe.

James Stewart is by far one of my favorite actors if not my favorite actor. I really and truly haven't seen one of his movies I don't like. I am not one for hitchcock suspense or westerns, but the ones of his I've seen I do like.

Some of his best movies are:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

The Philadelphia Story

It's a Wonderful Life

Vertigo

well If I don't stop now I'll keep going!

OK this is probably going to make me sound like a complete pervert, but I love Jimmy Stewart's lips. I love to watch him talk--he has a wonderfully shaped lower lip. That haveing been established, I'd say my faves are "Destry," "Shop Around the Corner," "You Can't Take it With You" and "Harvey."

And he does a magnificent drunk scene in "The Philadelphhia Story," when he bursts in on Cary Grant and starts spouting off about Kidd and his entertaining a "South Carolina Mata Hari on his yacht..." Funny stuff.

He does a pretty good drunk scene in "Vivacious Lady". It's a terrific film. You even get a fight between Ginger Rogers and Frances Mercer. (Wife and fiance, respectively.) Unfortunately it's not shown very often. In Harvey, he was practically drunk the whole movie. He really had quite a range. Made some great westerns too. Why would anyone think you're a pervert. Admittedly it may not be the first thing that pops into people's minds about JS but if we can talk about Tierney's and K Hepburn's cheekbones, why not.

OH, It's A Wonderful Life, for sure. His portrayal of George Bailey was beautiful. He captured the feelings that everyday people experience so perfectly. I cry everytime I watch that movie.

I also loved him in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, The Shop Around the Corner, and The Philidelphia Story.

He was just a great actor and his films are timeless.

Rupert Cadell in Rope

Tony Kirby in You Can't Take It With You

Alfred Kralik in The Shop Around the Corner

David Graham in After the Thin Man

Martin Breitner in The Mortal Storm

Chip Hardesty in The F.B.I. Story (even though the film is a load of right-wing propagandising, Stewart makes it work and I am able to suspend my sensibilities as I do for episodes of Dragnet)

Of course, don't let's forget the Campbell's Soup voiceovers . . .

I understand he wrote poetry. I would be interested to read some of it.

I find him adorable in The Shop Around the Corner, delightful in Bell, Book and Candle, and intriguing in Vertigo.

I love him! My personal favorite of his darker films?

" Vertigo"-an incredibly complex performance-totally underrated at the time. He really deserved an Oscar for this one. But then again, he's always superlative.

Message was edited by:

Sheldon

I can't believe I never added to this thread. Well here goes in no particular order:

Mr.Smith Goes to Washington

You Can't Take it With You

It's A Wonderful Life

Vivacious Lady

Winchester 73'

Shenandoah

Harvey

Bell, Book, & Candle

Rear Window

Destry Rides Again

The Shootist

The Cheyenne Social Club

The Flight of the Phoenix

Carbine Williams

No Highway

The Philadelphia Story

We have covered quite a few, haven't we? My favorite scene in his films is in "You Can't Take It With You" where he and Jean Arthur go to the restaurant. He's getting so excited he thinks he's going to scream. Jean begs him not to. As it works its way up Jimmy's body Jean is more concerned. Finally as Jimmy is about to scream (knowing he won't) Jean reacts by giving a blood curdling scream herself. When those big hands of Jimmy's cover his face and they have that moment of shared extreme embarassment it makes me laugh every time.

I have a few favs of Jimmy's. But I think I like It's a Wonderful Life and Mr. Krueger's Christmas. Those are my favs. I also like Philadelphia Story.

It's hard to choose. Lucky for us, there's so many to choose from. We even went to the James Stewart's Museum, in Indiana,Pa. That's where he was born and raised. They have alot of his personal things there. A movie theater plays his films. Gives you information to who he was, personally and as a actor.

The Glenn Miller Story, is one of many of my favorites. Because, I always enjoyed Glenn Miller's music. So, you get both. Jimmy Stewart and good music to listen to. Harry Morgon and June Allyson, add their talent to the movie.