Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

JUNE SCHEDULE IS UP!!

It's listed as a "Distinct Certainty" on Criterionforum.org among other known Criterion properties like The Wedding March and I think it was confirmed on one of their facebook replies. Haven't heard much lately but surely Kino would have jumped at it if the rights were still up in the air. It sure is slow going for Criterion and silents.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}

> Looking forward to Linder, someone whom I've heard a lot about but have never seen. His style supposedly was a major influence on Chaplin.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that!

Abel Gance's J'Accuse will also be on in June.

Nice to see ACE DRUMMOND added to the Saturday Serial line-up! It will be very interesting to see what kind of materials they come up with. I have the only original (albeit a Filmcraft reissue) print that I've ever seen. Dupes prevail on this one. It will be great if Universal can provide 35mm chapters.

"The Dragon Commands!!"

Criterion will be putting a lot of titles they have licensed but are not out on DVD yet on Hulu+. I didn't notice those titles specifically but I did notice a lot of Chaplin titles not on DVD by Criterion yet.

Yes, this is very nice to see, Ray. I too am very curious about the quality of the ACE DRUMMOND print they will use. Ray, how much longer a wait before we know what's coming at Chelsea Rialto ?

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> It's listed as a "Distinct Certainty" on Criterionforum.org among other known Criterion properties like The Wedding March and I think it was confirmed on one of their facebook replies. Haven't heard much lately but surely Kino would have jumped at it if the rights were still up in the air. It sure is slow going for Criterion and silents.

Jonas,

The version TCM runs of Victor Seastrom's *THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE* is the same as the Swedish DVD release, which I believe is now out of print. An amazing film. Also distributed in some countries under the title of "*THE STROKE OF MIDNIGHT".* and in still others as *"THE PHANTOM CHARIOT."* Glad to hear that they haven't forgotten about *THE WEDDING MARCH* either. It was supposed to have been out by the end of last year, or so I was told.

Jonas,

Can't find this information on the forum, do you have a direct link? Thanks.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> NOT NORTH BY NORTHWEST AGAIN!!!!!

Swithin, as I just posted in the separate thread you created about this, just ignore it when it is on. It's pretty much a guarantee that somebody will be seeing it for the first time, and they should have that chance. Once every few months isn't that bad. Besides, it is on at 5:30 in the afternoon ET, 2:30 in the afternoon Pacific. Are you planning on being home then?

This new stuff sounds great! I love new old films. For me, it's like they are just now going to the theaters! Yay!

11:00 AM Prince in Bondage, A (1939)

In Chapter 11 of Buck Rogers, Killer Kane launches an aerial attack on Buck's forces. Cast: Buster Crabbe, Constance Moore, Jackie Moran. Dir: Ford Beebe, Ray Trampe. BW-20 mins,

11:30 AM War of the Planets (1939)

In the final chapter of Buck Rogers, Buck and his crew make their last stand against Killer Kane. Cast: Buster Crabbe, Constance Moore, Jackie Moran. Dir: Ford Beebe, Ray Trampe. BW-20 mins,

12:00 PM Tarzan And The Amazons (1945)

Archaeologists trick Boy into helping them find a hidden valley ruled by women. Cast: Johnny Weissmuller, Brenda Joyce, Johnny Sheffield. Dir: Kurt Neumann. BW-76 mins,

Poster%2520-%2520Tarzan%2520and%2520the%

Prince in Bondage. Now that sounds interesting! :D

This is an amazing schedule which truly has something for everyone -- for instance, my kids are going to love the monster movies and my dad will be delighted by the Audie Murphy titles which aren't in his collection.

I've been wanting to see STATION WEST with Dick Powell and Jane Greer and am so happy it's on! I'm also especially excited about PICCADILLY JIM with Robert Montgomery and THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY with Norma Shearer (loved the remake with Crawford, Montgomery, and W. Powell). Plus lots of relatively obscure movies to explore,an with actors I enjoy including Jane Greer, Eleanor Parker, and Florence Rice.

Fans of British films need to be sure to catch not only I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING! (which is sheer movie bliss) but the excellent spy thriller YELLOW CANARY with Anna Neagle and Richard Greene.

Thank you, TCM!

http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23

The "Distinct Certainties" seem reliable, the MGM/UA titles Criterion have been releasing over the last couple of years showed up here long before the formal announcement, so it's likely that they do have The Phantom Carriage (Chariot in this case.) Some more of Carl Dreyer's silents are also supposedly in the works (Master of the House?)

A Blu-ray upgrade of Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawberries (starring Sjostrom and inspired by The Phantom Carriage) is expected this year. It would make perfect sense for Criterion to release Sjostrom's film at the same time.

OK, But it looks like there hasn't been any updates on either *THE PHANTOM CHARIOT* or *THE WEDDING MARCH* in at least and year an a half? So are these still considered in the works?

*SJOSTROM, Victor - THE PHANTOM CHARIOT (Last Update: 10/09)*

*STROHEIM, Erich von - THE WEDDING MARCH (Last Update: 08/09)*

Here is a quote from a guy at *AMPAS* where *THE WEDDING MARCH* is being screened this evening. As part of the Silent Treatment Series.

*TSTNews said,*

*"Thank you for your comments,*

*We really don't know anything about what is in the works for a Criterion release of THE WEDDING MARCH and what version or score will be used. As for the trailer, excerpts from the Photoplay restoration were used because it is very similar to the LOC restored print that is screening tomorrow night. LOC unfortunately did not have a screener available when a loan was requested.*

*There are no plans to exhibit HER WILD OAT in the immediate future, but if we do, we'll do our best to get access to clips to assemble a trailer to promote the exhibition.*

*Best,*

*TST"*

*3/2 @ 8:00pm*

*Erich von Stroheim's*

*"The Wedding March"*

?The public claim that they were sickened by the stark reality of Greed...They want fairy tales...This time I am going to give them illusion with all the pretty trimmings, a fragile play of love.?-- Erich von Stroheim

In an art form celebrated for its larger-than-life personalities, the iron-willed Eric von Stroheim still remains one of filmmaking?s most mythical iconoclasts. Even though almost every one of his features was recut or otherwise mangled by the powers that be, his filmography is still more wildly vibrant and emotionally gripping than almost any of his contemporaries. 1928?s The Wedding March finds Fay Wray and von Stroheim as a commoner and an Austrian prince who fall madly in love after meeting by chance. The couple?s path to happiness is (of course) destined to become a deeply pothole-ridden road, however, if their respective arranged fianc? and fianc?e have anything to say about it! Taken out of von Stroheim?s hands and reduced from an epic nearly-five-hour two-parter into a single two-hour film, The Wedding March magically still retains every bit of both the lyrical beauty and biting cultural critique its creator originally intended. Tonight?s presentation is screened from a restored Library of Congress 35mm print, which includes the film?s original Technicolor sequences! As well, the evening starts with the riotous short The Pride of Pikeville, starring our favorite silent cross-eyed clown, Ben Turpin!

The Wedding March Dir. Erich von Stroheim, 1928, 35mm, 113 min. (Archival 35mm print courtesy of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Collection)

The Pride Of Pikeville Dir. Alfred J. Goulding, 1927, 35mm. (Archival 35mm print courtesy of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Collection)

Trailer available here:

> {quote:title=Goalieboy82 wrote:}{quote}

> are the start times for the movie off by an hour or is it just me.

goalie, are you on Mountain Time? The list I printed out says pacific time, so that could explain the hour difference.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"A cosmetics executive's search for eternal beauty turns her into a monster!"*

>

> *"Mars invades the Earth in a search for female companionship!"*

>

> *"A giant octopus attacks San Francisco!"*

>

> How can anyone read those descriptions and not be excitedly amused?

Kyle, how could you omit mentioning the description for Friday, the 3rd, showing of "Summer of '63" at 2:30 am: "Teens on the make spread syphillis among their friends."

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> OK, But it looks like there hasn't been any updates on either *THE PHANTOM CHARIOT* or *THE WEDDING MARCH* in at least and year an a half? So are these still considered in the works?

>

>

> *SJOSTROM, Victor - THE PHANTOM CHARIOT (Last Update: 10/09)*

>

> *STROHEIM, Erich von - THE WEDDING MARCH (Last Update: 08/09)*

Criterion just takes a long time to get some things out. The Josef von Sternberg silents were acquired in 2007 but we didn't get the DVDs until 2010 (and they've had Shanghai Express, delayed because of missing material, ever since they released The Scarlet Empress many, many years ago.)

> {quote:title=MovieFanLaura wrote:}{quote}

> I've been wanting to see STATION WEST with Dick Powell and Jane Greer and am so happy it's on!

Let's hope they run the uncut 87 minute version and not the 79 minute reissue.

no i am in EST.

edit,

my computer must have been on acting up the day i looked at the schedule for the first time. the schedule looks ok now on my computer.

Edited by: Goalieboy82 on Mar 3, 2011 11:49 AM

Heck, any month that has Joan Davis titles is a treat for me.

And I'm happy to see "An Eastern Westerner" in prime time. That was one of the titles I picked in the If-You-Could-Be-A-Guest-Programmer wish list thread!

They sure like to show *Night Of The Lepus*. There are other cr**py movies out there.