Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Got a totally insane and un-expected gift from my Son last week. Don't know where he found it but it's a colorized version of The Thing From Another World. On disc yet. Had heard this was a big movie in it's day but never expected anyone would color it. Quite well done too. Carrington's hair still looks strange though. His outfit is pretty whack also.

• 2 weeks later...

This is truely one of my most favorites from the 50's -next to Forbidden Planet - great acting well done film by Howard Hawks and I just love Kenneth Tobey & Margaret Sheridan in it along with a very fine supporting cast! I keep Hoping they will release this fine film to Blu Ray ! I have heard rumors of people owning it in COLOR but never have found anywhere one can buy this copy.

I Just hope the studio now that this film has hit 60 years old will be remastered to Blu Ray with lots of extras like the making of and more ......

ZD

• 1 month later...

I had to put my two cents in here on this one. I like the 1951 version a whple lot better then the new one, It had a good story line and ending amoung the actor that played in it where very good for that day. --- But this new one was more like a documentary then a SI-Fi film no real plot, choppy. The ending was terrible and even the acting for those acters I would have expected a lot more. The effect were well needed more work but I think that the movie being so choppy jumping from one sene to another to quickly made the effect look rotten. Made me think of the serpent-Q. Did noth for me. Should have been a C or D movie, Not even a B move class.

Carpenter's "The Thing" has some very effective moments- the eerie opening, the scene with the poor dogs and specially the blood test sequence- Rob Bottin's fx work overwhelmed the movie and yeah I don't like the ending either.

The newer version supposedly follows the book (Who Goes There?) more closely the the '51 version. In fact, I believe the only reference to the book in the '51 film is when a crew member asks: :I wonder if it can read our minds"?

They did not have the FX skills to pull off a convincing shape shifting creature in 1951 which is why they went for that terrifying humanoid looking alien. I'm surprise that no one has tried to remake it again.

• 2 months later...

TCM keeps showing the same video of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. I hear the current DVD release has a better overall picture and if you watch the print TCM shows, you can tell that one part that was edited out previously and added back has a noticable drop in picture quality (when Kenneth Tobey's character is called to see his commanding officer at the beginning of the film). TCM needs to upgrade to a better quality picture of THE THING.

Also TCM showed an edited version of THE CYCLOPS with Gloria Talbott that was missing a scene or two. WB On Demand originally put out the edited version but has since corrected that mistake and replaced the edited out scenes for those who bought the DVD.

Edited by: William735 on Jul 7, 2011 11:05 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I suppose it's common knowledge by now but the powers that be have seen, yet again, to re-make the film. Looks, from the commercials, like a rehash of the second one which actually followed the book called Who Goes There. (I think). Let's see how long it lasts before DVD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I think the dialog business got an Academy Award nomination. Screen play I think. Not sure. It's actually quite believeable if it ever happened exactly the way the screen play goes. Remote location. Total military/government control ect. It looses it in the last 20 seconds when Scotty is allowed to broadcast it. Seen it so many times we bust out laughing at certain "mistakes". The disappearing money at the card game for instance. But especially, at the final confrontation, when the hall way door which is heavily blocked with wood opens the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=chaney7 wrote:}{quote}I suppose it's common knowledge by now but the powers that be have seen, yet again, to re-make the film. Looks, from the commercials, like a rehash of the second one which actually followed the book called Who Goes There. (I think). Let's see how long it lasts before DVD.

It's a short story by John W. Campbell, not a whole book.

• 3 months later...

What I didnt like about the Carpenter version was that a couple of the characters (I think it was the cook and the radio operator) were such goofballs. Seriously..unless their mental states had deteriorated in the time they were there, how on earth were they selected to go to an Antarctic science station? I mean only a few of them seem to have all cylinders firing.

Other than that...I actually DO enjoy the movie.

The 50s version closing though...great 50s paranoia!!! "Watch the skies.... keep watching the skies".

• 5 months later...

Though directing credit went to Chistian Nyby, the myth is that Howard Hawks had heavy input. You will find the overlapping / interrupting dialogue in some of his films like "The Big Sky". Funny, when you do a google on "films directed by Howard Hawks" he IS credited with directing "the Thing" on multiple sites. John