Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name some great actors that didn?t start out as actors, like Frank Sinatra.

Esther Williams

Being a champion swimmer got her into the movies. But she was so natural and comfortable in front of the camera you couldn't help but like her.

Doris Day

She was a great singer and also very natural. Her most appealing quality on screen was her eyes, they just shone and sparkled.

> {quote:title=John_Boy wrote:}{quote}

> How is someone not an actor if they act

I couldn?t put a whole long sentence in the title of the thread.

I?m talking about people who started out being famous as singers, dancers, and other things, but appeared in a movie and turned out to be a pretty good actor, then they appeared in more movies and became famous as an actor, such as Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Barbra Streisand, in addition to whatever else they did (sing, dance, etc.).

> {quote:title=yvesmary wrote:}{quote}

> Esther Williams

>

> Being a champion swimmer got her into the movies. But she was so natural and comfortable in front of the camera you couldn't help but like her.

>

> Doris Day

>

> She was a great singer and also very natural. Her most appealing quality on screen was her eyes, they just shone and sparkled.

Yes, very good. I didn't think of them. :)

Grandma (who lived near Hollywood Blvd. & Normandie) always told anyone who would listen that Jim Garner installed the carpet in her house. I just laughed.

Then one night I'm watching a talk show and the host asked Garner what he did before acting.

"I was banging down carpet in LA," he said.

Regarding Sinatra, I can hear my uncle always saying, "Frankie; he just HAD to be an actor."

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}

> Grandma (who lived near Hollywood Blvd. & Normandie) always told anyone who would listen that Jim Garner installed the carpet in her house. I just laughed.

> Then one night I'm watching a talk show and the host asked Garner what he did before acting.

> "I was banging down carpet in LA," he said.

Very interesting.

In 1959 one of the actors in ?These Thousand Hills? came to Jackson, Mississippi and did a little talk at the beginning of the movie. I think it was Stuart Whitman. He was in a small Southern city and he tried to be very humble to his audience, so he told a story about how in his early days in Hollywood he drove a Caterpillar tractor for a construction company in-between his movies. I see in his Wiki bio that he spent three years working in construction in the Army Corps of Engineers.

It would be fun to know what kinds of odd jobs all the other famous actors first had.

Geez, I love that story about James Garner laying carpet for that lady.

Burt Lancaster was a trapeze artist with his partner and sometimes co-star, Nick Cravat.

Harrison Ford was a carpenter who's work for some of the Hollywood people got him noticed.

Wasn't Gregory Peck an elevator operator? Who got noticed by someone who made movies?

Mark Wahlberg was a rapper, or punk rocker, or something like that.

Dean Martin was a nightclub singer, I think.

I guess all actors did something before they got into movies. Except Mickey Rooney. He was a kid.

Fun thread :)

"Name some great actors that didn?t start out as actors"

Well, many....if not most....of the actors mentioned in this thread I would hardly classify as "great", especially Sinatra.....he was competent, but I never thought of him as "great".

Remember the creepy assassin in the Orson Welles film ?Journey into Fear?? He was Jack Moss (called Peter Banat in the film). Years ago Mr. Osborne said that he wasn?t an actor at all, but he was Welles? business manager and associate producer of the film. This was the only movie he was ever in. He just looked creepy in real life, so he was used as the villain in the movie:

3152__3152_voyage_au_pays_de_la_peur_jou

Barry Fitzgerald went to Skerry College in Ireland headed for the banking industry. He shared an appartment at one point with playright Sean O'Casey and began acting in his plays. Hitchcock talked him into his first movie "The Plough and the Stars".

I haven't seen Journey Into Fear, but that Jack Moss does look like someone not to turn your back on. It may have been inspired casting.

I'll try to keep an eye out for this movie in the listings.

Hey, George Raft was a gangster, wasn't he?

No, just kidding. He was a dancer before getting into movies.

Kathy Bates started out as a singing waitress before starting in a few low-budget films and comedies, then hit the big time with her Oscar-winning role in MISERY, and then she floored me as Miss Hannigan in the Disney tv remake of ANNIE.....wotta singing voice!

Go in reverse for a moment....how about actors that didn't start out as singers, and proved to be astounding?

Neil Patrick Harris is a good starter.....once he began doing his stage singing career on and off-Broadway, he found his true calling. The man is absolutely amazing when he sings.

David Hasselhoff may not be the greatest actor, but once he started doing stage work as a singer, he found his true calling. Saw the video performance of him in Jekyll & Hyde, and he was another incredible one. He needs to do more stage performance work as a singer.

....then there is Anne Hathaway. Very good actress, but when she first sang publicly on the Oscars two years ago with Hugh Jackman, she floored everyone...including Shirley MacLaine, who urged her "to keep on singing". Anne was stunned by that compliment, and on this year's Oscars, she floored me again when she did that musical number.....the woman is an astounding singer!

Glenn Close is another actress who is a terrific singer....oh, and Hugh Jackman, of course, is know as a great singer and has done some stage work. Hopefully he'll get the chance to do more musicals throughout his career, as he's both a great actor and a great singer.

Johnny Depp is another actor who has....surprisingly.....turned out to be a phenomenal singer...and with NO formal training at all. Surprised the hell out of everyone in SWEENEY TODD.