Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The [b]Longer[/b] Road To Hollywood - 2011

hlywdkjk

The Longer Road To Hollywood - 2011

(Because these events are taking place across the country, I am placing this in General Discussions rather than in the Film Festival Forums. Many not attending the event in Hollywood might miss this opportunity if I placed it down there.)

TCM Announced the 2011 Edition of "The Road To Hollywood", the channel's roadshow of free screenings across the country leading up to the 2011 Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, April 28th - May 1st. And, for all those that felt left out last year, this year the show is stopping in a slew of new cities in many different regions.

The "Road" show starts in Seattle on March 3rd with a screening of *North By Northwest* hosted by Robert Osborne and Eva Marie Saint. (Sorry, already "sold out.")

The rest of the itinerary and screenings are -

_Cleveland_ - Wednesday, March 16

*North By Northwest* - hosted by Robert Osborne and Eva Marie Saint

(Tickets Available March 2)

_Tampa_ - Monday, March 21

*Smokey and the Bandit* - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Burt Reynolds

(Tickets Available March 9)

_Chicago_ - Thursday, March 24

*Seven Brides For Seven Brothers* - hosted by Robert Osborne and Jane Powell

(Tickets Available March 10)

_New York City_ - Monday, April 2

*The Manchurian Candidate* - hosted by Robert Osborne and Angela Lansbury

(Tickets Available March 18)

_St. Louis_ - Monday, April 4

*The Birds* - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Tippi Hedren

(Tickets Available March 21)

_Long Island (Huntington, N.Y.)_ - Wednesday, April 13

*The Birds* - hosted by Robert Osborne and Tippi Hedren

(Tickets Available March 30)

_Austin, Texas_ - Saturday, April 16

*Rio Bravo* - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Angie Dickinson

(Tickets Available April 2)

_San Francisco_ - Wednesday, April 20

*Elmer Gantry* - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Shirley Jones

(Tickets Available April 5)

_Los Angeles_ - Thursday, April 21

*From Here To Eternity* - hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and Ernest Borgnine

(Tickets Available April 7)

--------------------------

Tickets can be reserved beginning on the appropriate dates at the link below -

http://www.tcm.com/2011/roadtohollywood/index.html

Please, if anyone knows how to get in touch member 'sandykaypax', please let that Ohioan know Robert O. is coming to Cleveland. But don't wait as the Cleveland tickets are becoming available tomorrow and they don't last long! "Mrs. Bennet" wouldn't forgive me for letting this slip by her.

And do we know anyone in or near Austin, Texas?

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 1, 2011 7:51 PM

*"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm in austin Kyle!"* - BSG

YEA! That's great. I don't know if there is one here that I could be more pleased to hear that they are going.

*"I am so going to buy a ticket!!"*

And you want to know what is even better? The tickets are free!

You, Ben M. and Angie D. ! ! ! That sounds like so much fun. I'll be looking for your complete rundown of the evening.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey Ms. Little T,

I'm going to call Suex2 in the morning. She's down in Baytown but she may go to Austin for the chance to see Angie, Robert O and you!

ANGIE DICKINSON IS GOING TOO???!! AH! This is going to be so much fun! Robert O?! OH MY GOODNESS! Let me know about Suex2 pretty please! Thank you Lynn!

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Mar 2, 2011 1:08 AM

YEA! That's great. I don't know if there is one here that I could be more pleased to hear that they are going.

I have always wantd to do this so badly! I love dreams coming true!! :)

And you want to know what is even better? The tickets are free!

Are you serious?! Really?! How do I get one? Where? This is what happens when you study lots for chooling. you miss out on such great news!

You, Ben M. and Angie D. ! ! ! That sounds like so much fun. I'll be looking for your complete rundown of the evening.

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN! IM SO EXCITED! Can't you tell? Heehee!

butterscotchgreer -

Use the link in the first post of this thread and click on Austin.

(Ok, here it is again - http://www.tcm.com/2011/roadtohollywood/index.html )

But the tickets won't be "released" to the public for another month. You will be able to download one beginning April 2nd.

Are you gonna be able to sleep tonight?

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks, I got your message!

Are you gonna be able to sleep tonight?

I get excited really easily! Heehee! Of course I won't be able to sleep tonight! I guess it's a good thing I don't have to work early tomorrow or have class. :D

You should have seen me when I saw that Mrs. Miniver was gonna be on the big screen in Austin and when I had my first date at 17. :D

*"You should have seen me when I saw that Mrs. Miniver was gonna be on the big screen in Austin and when I had my first date at 17."* - BSG

*Mrs. Miniver* on the big screen? Wow! I bet you didn't sleep for a _week_ .

Kyle In Hollywood

Too bad none of these are happening near where I live..... Colorado Springs.

I will say this..... Anyone living in Chicago will have a blast attending the showing at the Music Box Theater on the far north side of Chicago. Please be sure you try and go to dinner at any of the great little places along Southport Avenue. The theater is located in a great small area of shops and restaurants. The theater, built in 1929 has a great feel about it. It was restored in the 1980's.

Read more here:

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/about#theatre-history

*"Anyone living in Chicago will have a blast attending the showing at the Music Box Theater on the far north side of Chicago."* - fxreyman

Sounds like a great place.

'butterscotchgreer' PM'd me a shot of the interior of the Paramount Theater in Austin. It is gorgeous. I hope she posts the photo here in the Forums too.

Kyle In Hollywood

This is what the inside of the Paramount Theater looks like here in Austin. It's on the same street as the Capital! It's beautiful outside as well as the inside! They play clssic movies there every summer at east tree orie times a week so me and Angie usually go together and look up at th ceiling and liste o the old music they have playing in the background before the movie starts. IT"S AMAZING THERE! Heehee!

4661427628_6d95934867.jpg

Rey, do you in if I call you rey, it sounds like we've been friends for a longtime that way! :D

The place in Chicago sounds so loverly!!

Mrs. Miniver on the big screen? Wow! I bet you didn't sleep for a week .

Well that night, I had my Hospiality Law class, an it was my fnal exam, so couldn't seemy Greer finaly on the big screen like I always dreamed of, unfortunately. The things I do for good grades. Heehee! It's okay, I know they will show it again...one day. I wasn'tthe happiest camper that night, but I dd acemy test! :)

Lynn did indeed make the scheduled contact, so I will try to access the free tickets. I already have a carload full coming from Houston if we are able to download the tickets....

This sounds great! Ben M. is a wonderful, down-to-earth fellow, and I can't wait to see him again.

He's very personable and easy to "chat up."

I enjoyed the way he handled the Esther Williams/Betty Garrett pool party at the TCM Fest last April....

I am very disappointed that they are not coming to Philadelphia. I know that they can't go everywhere but it seems TCM never comes to this city. And I don't see the point of going to NYC & Long Island.

If it's not too expensive maybe I will try to get tickets for the NYC spot but I am still disappointed Philadelphia is left out again (and it seems a lot of people on these boards are from this area too).

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this Kyle.

Manchurian Candidate is one of my all-time favorite movies, Angela Lansbury is my partner's favorite actress, and we live in NYC. This could not have worked out more perfectly for me, and I was thisclose to not even knowing about it until I saw your post.

Thanks again.

*"If it's not too expensive maybe I will try to get tickets for the NYC spot...* - kinokima

If, by expensive, you mean the cost of the tickets, there is no cost. The tickets are free. But if you are including the expense of travelling to NYC, then I can see how it might add up to a major outlay - especially if you decide to spend the night in the city.

I hope you do have the chance to attend. And I am sure TCM is aware that their Philadelphia viewers are feeling neglected once again. Maybe next year... *The Philadelphia Story* would be a great picture to show.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"This is what the inside of the Paramount Theater looks like here in Austin. It's on the same street as the Capital! It's beautiful outside as well as the inside!"* - BSG

Thanks for posting the picture in here, "butterscotch". The interior is truly amazing.

And I bet "SueSue" has her eyes on taking over one of the boxes on the sides of the auditorium when she comes to the screening in Austin.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Thank you so much for taking the time to post this Kyle."* - Gregory1965

You're welcome. And it sounds like it was a good decision to post the line-up here in General Discussions.

I envy you and your partner. While *Rio Bravo* with Angie Dickinson in attendance sounds like soo much fun and Shirley Jones speaking about *Elmer Gantry* with Ben Mankiewicz is an exciting evening at the movies, a screening of *The Manchurian Candidate* with Robert Osborne and Angela Lansbury sounds perfectly sublime.

I hope the School Of The Visual Arts has a large auditorium/theater for the screening. And make sure you download the complimentary tickets ASAP on March 18th. Last year's screening of *All About Eve* at the huge Ziegfeld Theater "sold out" rapidly.

Kyle In Hollywood

I didn't realize the tickets were free. Well that's something. Yes traveling to NY and staying over is definitely not cheap (especially for someone who is out of work at the moment). If I can get tickets I might be able to stay over a friends place though (it being on a Monday does complicate things). Well I am definitely considering

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 3, 2011 9:31 AM

Sorry to double post but could anyone who is from NY tell me reasonably priced hotels near the place where Manchurian will be playing (or hotels near good public transportation)?

I figure I should research into this now in case I can't stay with my friend (I don't really want to bother her on a work night).

edit: Ooh looks like April 2nd is actually a Saturday!

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 3, 2011 12:48 PM

A few years ago, the School of Visual Arts, on E. 23rd St. in NYC, acquired a movie theater (which was a commercial theater at the time) on W. 23rd St. It gives SVA a large and modern cinema, as opposed to the auditorium at the school. The neighborhood is Chelsea.

New York hotels are expensive, but you might find some smaller hotels in Chelsea that are reasonable. I know of a hotel on the Upper West Side -- a short subway ride from the theater, that's respectable and reasonable by New York standards. It's called the Milburn. It's on West 76th St. Probably $250 a night, or a little less.

Thanks Swithin. That is definitely above my price range but it is helpful to know it is in Chelsea.

I am trying to convince a friend or friends to go with me to split the hotel cost or at least to have someone to travel back with but so far none of them are having it. I would really like to try to find a way to go.

Sorry, I phrased it badly. That hotel is not in Chelsea -- it's on the Upper West Side, a short subway ride (10 minutes or so) from Chelsea. Sorry, it is rather pricey, just cheaper than some of the wildly overpriced NYC hotels. Good luck!

*"Kyle, Lynn sent me a private message and I got my tickets to North by Northwest here in Cleveland. THANK YOU for thinking of me!"* - Sandy K

Ya-HOO!!

I am so glad you got the message from Lynn. And I am thrilled you got tickets to the screening in Cleveland. When I read about that event, you immediately came to mind. (And I think of you quite often. Well, "miss you" and your presence around here actually.) I was so worried that the tickets would have been snapped up before you found out about the screening.

Have a great time, OK? And tell us all about it afterwards. (I hope the film is one you like.)

Kyle (I've done my good deed for the week.) In Hollywood