Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Cabaret" (1972) Later Tonight

Some really good numbers were cut from the Broadway production (particularly between the landlady and her boarder). I dont think I Dont Care Much was in the film either (sung by the MC?) The movie version centered around Sally Bowles, but in the stage version she was one character in an ensemble cast. I never saw the stage version but I have the original cast CD as well as the revival.....

One thing I dont like about the movie is the implication that the hedonism/amorality going on in Berlin somehow led to Nazism......In reality Berlin was very anti-Nazi and when they took over the hedonism went bye-bye!

hibi wrote:

"...One thing I dont like about the movie is the implication that the hedonism/amorality going on in Berlin somehow led to Nazism......In reality Berlin was very anti-Nazi and when they took over the hedonism went bye-bye!"

I don't get that from *Cabaret* at all. The hedonism/decadence was a feature of the Weimar Republic, I'm taking a guess that this would be partially as a reaction to the bleakness and pessimism Germany experienced in the years following the First World War. The state of the German economy wouldn't have helped, either.

I have seen the film several times, and I've never interpreted it as a statement on the hedonism so prevalent at the time leading to Nazism. You do see an increasing number of brown shirts in the cabaret's audience as the film progresses, but this is to show that the Nazis are starting to gain power, and that there are a lot more of them.

Someone commented on the scene with the youth division of the Nazis in a beer parlour, how chilling it is when they all stand up and sing Tomorrow Belongs to Me. It's only when you get to the half-way point in the song that you see the swastikas on their sleeves. Scary.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 3, 2011 11:15 AM

Well, I could see a lot of people taking it that way. The film is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. See this is what will happen when you have loose morals.... The Tomorrow Belongs to Me Number is a perfect example of this. It was used differently on the stage......I do like the Cabaret numbers, but I feel the movie is very overrated (thought so when I first saw it, and still do....)

I didn't know the play has some silly numbers, but I always thought those were the most fun to listen and dance to! Are they really that bad?

People singing about a pineapple! A cute little ditty. But an awkward fit in a serious movie. It would have been a distraction. There's a terrible tune called "Why Did I Wake Up?" Please. Go back to sleep! The play embraces such silliness. The movie wisely discards it. One poster called it a sanitized version of the play. The movie is steamy, bawdy sex all over the place. If that's sanitized, I can't wait to see raunchy!

I like the "Tomorrow" number. It's at first thrilling, then sad and scary. And as the young people get caught up in the furor, a couple of old timers are seen shaking their heads in disdain. Old people have seen too much to be easily fooled.

A PG version of bawdy. What about Married or I Dont Care Much? Not every song was great, but my point is they eliminated some good ones (obviously when they cut the landlady/boarder out their songs had to go.....)

> What?!?!?!?!? If you love CABARET, that's certainly fine and dandy, but to make statements such as the above, as if there was anything even remotely available to back it up, is just odd. There is nothing (not cast album sales, not Broadway tickets sold, not motion picture box office receipts, not television ratings, not movie rental fees, not show licenses leased) - NOTHING to support that statement.

Hmmm... I'm confused. What did I say to upset you? Was it the fact that I compared *Cabaret* to *Show Boat* ? I compared them in popularity and longevity and in no other way. You say there is nothing even remotely available to back it up? I didn't think I had to justify my statement; I thought it was just common knowledge.

Sir, with all due respect I CAN support my statement. But if you truly doubt it, take a few minutes and Google Show Boat. Beginning with *Show Boat's* original 1165 performances at the Ziegfeld theatre in 1927 (it was the premier performance in his newly-built theatre) it is still being revived around the world today. My three CD cast recording is from 1988, much older than *Cabaret*. Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II's songs are still popular 84 years later ("Ol' Man River," "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man," "Bill," "After the Ball," many others).

There are many, many wonderful musicals with timeless songs that began on stage and then went to the screen ( *West Side Story*, *My Fair Lady*, *Gypsy*, *Oklahoma!*, the list goes on and on...). By virtue of age alone, *Show Boat* is number one. If you don't care for that show, fine. To each his own.

Edited by: FilmAficionado on Mar 3, 2011 7:15 PM For typo

You've said nothing to upset me. I'm not upset. As for my post, I made it clear that I was speaking about CABARET. You said, The only musical that comes close in popularity and longevity is Show Boat (1927). All I was saying was, that's not true. CABARET, in no way, comes close to the popularity and longevity of SHOW BOAT.

As for my personal experience with CABARET, I saw the original production, appeared as Cliff, in a tour of the show, and saw the film during its original release, during a crazy movie-filled day, where we went to see CABARET, LADY SINGS THE BLUES and the '73 re-release of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, all on the same day!

Some history of the Broadway show -

Sandy Wilson was the first composer to write songs for "Cabaret." Wilson approached Julie Andrews about starring in the musical and Julie was immediately interested because of Wilson's involvement. Producer/Director Hal Prince, was not happy with the songs Wilson was coming up with which he felt were too light and bouncy. He said Wilson's concept for the show was like "Sally Bowls meets The Boyfriend." Prince wanted a darker storyline with songs to match and subsequently took the material to Kander and Ebb who wrote the songs and to Joe Masteroff who wrote the book. Andrews was always Hal Prince's first choice for Sally Bowls, but she wasn't crazy about the Sally Bowls character and asked for several changes in the book. After months of rewrites and discussions with Julie, she got too involved with films, and the role eventually went to the British actress, Jill Haworth. The show, of course, was a big hit.

"Married" (aka "Heiraten") IS heard in the movie in the background of one of the scenes between Sally and Brian, I think as a song on the radio (or a record being played), when the two of them are pretending as if they're a married couple.

I still think the musical needs to be remade and INTACT. I'm not saying I don't like the movie any less, but when I saw the video of the Studio 54 revival, I simply thought it was better and I liked it better.

Yes, I know. They used it as background music (Married) in one scene. Liza sang it as part of her Cabaret medley in her shows. I think she could've sang it in the movie (though it wasnt sung by her character in the stage version) as the subject matter fit. But they were intent on only having songs in the Cabaret segments (except for the big Tomorrow Belongs to Me showstopper! LOL)

One day I was standing in line at Blockbuster behind a lady that was angrily returning a tape of Cabaret. She was miffed because it "should have been more like The Sound of Music!" I giggled. I tried to think of the scene the most unlike anything in the Sound of Music.

My personal favorite is Sally standing in the library and yelling, "****, I'm gonna have a baby!" And, she isn't sure who the father is. That is the real reason Sally had the abortion. She could not live with not knowing.