Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conserned

Mamanuch

I was going through the giude on my TV, and saw Yankee Doodle Dandy on, and read the info, OOPS! I couldn't because it was in a different langage then american. I like to say this, we are in america, and this is an american movie. You should keep the info tex in american. My grandparents was told, if you want to know the info on anything learn to read america. Thats what you should tell the others that want to know whats what. Thank you, Linda

Well, perhaps English is not the OP's first language, in which case I meant no offence. I cannot speak for Prince Saliano but I doubt very much if he was "being rude" either. I suspect we both just read the post as being written by someone who doesn't take a lot of care with spelling and grammar etc.

If their first language is not English, then I apologize.

There would have been no harm in the OP openly stating that their first language is not English, nothing wrong with that, therefore their perplexity regarding their tv guide information would have been more understandable.

MissW, I don't see any reason someone from another country should have to explain themselves as far as what their language is. If you have a look at OP's post....and not needing to look too carefully....it's easy to figure out that they're from another country. OP's references several times to American and "American" are the tipoff that OP is from a country other than the United States.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> MissW, I don't see any reason someone from another country should have to explain themselves as far as what their language is. If you have a look at OP's post....and not needing to look too carefully....it's easy to figure out that they're from another country. OP's references several times to American and "American" are the tipoff that OP is from a country other than the United States.

And the person said: "My grandparents was told, if you want to know the info on anything learn to read america."

Sounds like the grandparents and maybe also the parents and the person are immigrants.

Did you know that sometimes you can find out a person?s native language by running an American phrase a foreign born person says through Babble Fish in different languages, then you run the foreign language translations back into English.

So far, the closest I?ve come to this phrase:

?My grandparents was told, if you want to know the info on anything learn to read america.?

The closest I?ve come so far is Dutch. Using that American phrase, First English to Dutch then Dutch back to English, and we get:

?My grandparentses were told, if you want know information on no matter what learn read america.?

There can be slight variations in direct translations if a person spends a little time in a third country before coming to the US.

kriegerg wrote:

"...I don't see any reason someone from another country should have to explain themselves as far as what their language is. .."

Why not? It's not a matter of "explaining themselves", it's just letting people know that their first language is not English. That way, there's no misunderstanding as to why there may be a few mistakes. Nothing wrong with that, I know I'd make mistakes if I were to try and write a post in the only other language I semi-know (French). And the reason I thought it might be someone whose first language supposedly is English is because, sadly, all you have to do is roam almost any given internet site with comments (try youtube, for starters) to see that there are many people who are American -born who do not write very clearly.

There's nothing negative in any way about a person not being fluent in English, nor is there anything negative about their saying so.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 2, 2011 6:40 PM

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> kriegerg wrote:

> "...I don't see any reason someone from another country should have to explain themselves as far as what their language is. .."

>

> Why not? It's not a matter of "explaining themselves", it's just letting people know that their first language is not English. That way, there's no misunderstanding as to why there may be a few mistakes. Nothing wrong with that, I know I'd make mistakes if I were to try and write a post in the only other language I semi-know (French). And the reason I thought it might be someone whose first language supposedly is English is because, sadly, all you have to do is roam almost any given internet site with comments (try youtube, for starters) to see that there are many people who are American -born who do not write very clearly.

>

> There's nothing negative in any way about a person not being fluent in English, nor is there anything negative about their saying so.

>

> Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 2, 2011 6:40 PM

I agree. If you know that English is not their first language then it's easier to take them seriously. If you don't know one way or the other they can come across as unintelligent, which they likely are not...

I'm taking the assumption the language is Spanish. This looks like a simple control room error in which a wrong key was pressed. In other words, what you saw was intended for a Spanish language channel. My Directv has Univision and Gala making everything is in Spanish. Considering the complexity of having to manage all those channels in the uplink, I'm stunned that more mistakes like this haven't been made.

I beleive there is nothing to be concerned about. I remembered a thread last year about a TCM control room programmer hit the wrong key and wrong assumptions were made. I think it was about commercials or an edited movie.

*What on Earth can go wrong? ...opps!*

control_room_with_text.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 2, 2011 11:21 PM Typos

Perhaps I am jumping the gun but I have communicated with many people over the years on the Internet where English was not their first language and they do not use terms like "American". It is too obvious a mistake (and so are the other mistakes in the post). This comes off as a troll post to me.