Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Free at last!!! Tomorrow, John Garfield busts us out of the Oscar's month!

Can't wait!!!! It wasn't all bad, but overall not my cup of tea. Tomorrow's lineup is great stuff!!! A full daytime lineup of Garfield! Take us home, John!!

6:00 AM They Made Me A Criminal (1939)

A young boxer flees to farming country when he thinks he's killed an opponent in the ring. Cast: John Garfield, Claude Rains, Gloria Dickson. Dir: Busby Berkeley. BW-92 mins, TV-PG, CC

7:45 AM Tortilla Flat (1942)

Inhabitants of a Southern California fishing village strive for the simple pleasures of life. Cast: Spencer Tracy, Hedy Lamarr, John Garfield. Dir: Victor Fleming. BW-99 mins, TV-PG, CC

9:30 AM Destination Tokyo (1943)

A U.S. sub braves enemy waters during World War II. Cast: Cary Grant, John Garfield, Alan Hale. Dir: Delmer Daves. BW-135 mins, TV-PG, CC

12:00 PM Between Two Worlds (1944)

Passengers on a luxury liner realize they are en route to the afterlife. Cast: John Garfield, Edmund Gwenn, Eleanor Parker. Dir: Edward A. Blatt. BW-112 mins, TV-G, CC

2:00 PM Pride of the Marines (1945)

A blinded Marine tries to adjust to civilian life. Cast: John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark. Dir: Delmer Daves. BW-120 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

4:15 PM Nobody Lives Forever (1946)

A con artist falls for the rich widow he's trying to fleece. Cast: John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Walter Brennan. Dir: Jean Negulesco. BW-100 mins, TV-G, CC

6:00 PM Postman Always Rings Twice, The (1946)

Illicit lovers plot to kill the woman's older husband. Cast: Lana Turner, John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway. Dir: Tay Garnett. BW-113 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

We watch TCM for the obscure GEMS no other network airs...not box office winners.

Boxing analogy: the real story of professional boxing is the undercard; guys who might have to hitchhike to get to the arena...it's NOT the main event, where millionaire pugs arrive in Don King's limo.

Cinema is Ed Wood and Sam Fuller, both of whom entertained millions without a DeMille bankroll.

hey mark!

I'll be home and look forward to a whole day of John Garfield. I love that guy! I only wish they were playing the *Fallen Sparrow*, but I get to see *The Postman* so that makes up for it. That film never gets old for me!

Funny! :D

I like JG. *Nobody Lives Forever* is my favorite (not the best).

Yeah, I'm burned out on Oscar month and ready to move on. At last is right! :D

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> hey mark!

>

> I'll be home and look forward to a whole day of John Garfield. I love that guy! I only wish they were playing the *Fallen Sparrow*, but I get to see *The Postman* so that makes up for it. That film never gets old for me!

Love, lucky you! Hope you enjoy! I will actually get to see POSTMAN since I should be home from work by then, and will catch NOBODY LIVES FOREVER from the DVR later! The latter is probably my favorite from tomorrow's lineup, but many gems in there!

I'm happy we're moving on to other themes, but I'd say instead of burnt I'm thoroughly satisfied. Loved this year's large batch of premieres and caught up with a few films regularly shown but which I'd somehow not seen before.

I will miss the intro graphics from this year's Oscar month and am curious to see which if any of the intros change tomorrow. The middle-of-the-night intros are now the oldest and probably due for a freshening up soon (I believe all the images are from "Killer's Kiss."). I also wouldn't mind if they changed both the audio and video for the Word of Mouth sequences. "Damned. Good. Actress." was edgy and fresh for a while but now seems stale.

LOL. Are they still using those Killer's Kiss clips? (I'm rarely up that late) And yeah, I'm really sick of those DAMN GOOD ACTRESS promos.......

I did enjoy some of this year's Oscar tribute, but overall, I'm glad to move on with some good JG flicks!

I actually totally dig that late night opening, it remains my favorite on the channel! It's certainly the oldest one left! I dig it and hope they don't change it!

I know most of the scenes are from KILLER'S KISS, but I could swear there is one quick cut from a scene from THE WILD ONE, with Robert Keith sitting down to a cup of coffee? Anyone else catch that or think that also?

Watching one of my all time faves, THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL, this morning on TCM! Great way to start the day, thanks TCM!

I only discovered that this was a remake of a pre-code film many years after I first saw this film. THE LIFE OF JIMMY DOLAN is a great flick also, but this one always has a special place in my heart, having seen it first.

Just an FYI.

One shot of the late night intro, the one with the Ford sedan turning the lights off is from THE WRONG MAN.

Is the bus scene in that one? I think that's from Strangers On A Train.......

The bus is more likely to come from the earlier Hitchcock film, I can't recall a bus in THE WRONG MAN.

No, I didnt mean the bus was from the Wrong Man, but Strangers on a Train.......

This could be in two different threads, this one or the one I started-- "Name the Johnny."

In *They Made Me a Criminal* John Garfield's character's name is "Johnnie Bradfield."

Normally if I wake up at 6 a.m. I go back to sleep, but when I saw *They Made Me a Criminal* I got up early for that! Garfield played the character he does best: a "mug." Claude Rains was amusing as a "mug" N.Y.C. detective saying those lines in his British accent! And I always get a kick out of May Robson! All-in-all I enjoyed it.

Two bits of trivia from that film. The first is easy. Anyone who ever turned on a TV knows this."The Dead End Kids," later known as "The Bowery Boys" were there, at least most of them. That was when they really were boys, not thirty-year-old men pretending to be boys. Was it their first or second film appearance as a group? I'm not sure which. Someone let me know, please. I don't know why I ask, I never cared much for them. Just curious I guess.

The second trivia bit: Barbara Pepper had a small roll. Anyone remember her? She always played hard boiled dames in 1930's movies and was at her prime in that decade. She had mostly small, uncredited roles in the '40s and '50s.

Miss Pepper did a lot of TV, again small, uncredited roles. Her best and most remembered role was as "Doris Ziffle" in 1960s Green Acres TV series. She was in more than a few episodes of I Love Lucy, as an extra. I don't think she ever spoke. She and Miss Ball were friends, and Lucy liked having friends around on the set. Next time you watch an old "Lucy" see if you can spot her.

Edited by: FilmAficionado on Mar 4, 2011 10:42 AM For typo

>>No, I didnt mean the bus was from the Wrong Man, but Strangers on a Train.......

Sorry, I misunderstood the first time around.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Can't wait!!!! It wasn't all bad, but overall not my cup of tea. Tomorrow's lineup is great stuff!!! A full daytime lineup of Garfield! Take us home, John!!

>

I had a feeling you were gritting your teeth during Oscar month! Not enough pre-code, eh? I bet you think TCM should air pre-code movies 24/7! :-)

I like a lot of pre-code movies, but I was actually happy for Oscar month to get a break from all the pre-code chatter. Such bliss!

I don't believe any genre is so great that is should be focused on obsessively to the exclusion of all else, or that any genre is "perfect." I am a Barbara Stanwyck fan but I found So Big to be positively dreary. I agree with Leonard Maltin on this one--the pacing was terrible. If I hadn't known it was TCM, I would've thought I was watching an old TV show on TV Land all hacked up for commercials.

Robbie

I'd dig pre-codes 24/7 without question. Though I'd want to toss a few noir's in there. Mysteries. B-series. Horror. Musicals. Comedies. Ummm. ;)

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I'd dig pre-codes 24/7 without question. Though I'd want to toss a few noir's in there. Mysteries. B-series. Horror. Musicals. Comedies. Ummm. ;)

I love pre-codes, but it was great for me to have a break from them during Oscar month--I got a chance to rest. :-) TCM is pouring the pre-codes on so hard right now I can't keep up with all of them, which is a disappointment to me. I don't have the energy to watch them all or to keep enough DVR space free to record them all, or enough energy to even record them all to DVD. :-(

Robbie

Robbie, I totally know what you mean! I have so many flix on my DVR now! Yikes! It sucks to have to go to work! :) I'll squeeze most in when I can. I think one reason for so many this month is not only the day time tributes, which seem to be focusing a lot on pre-code era (Brent, LaCava, etc), but also the SOTM, where the bulk of her films (Jean Harlow) were during that era as well. I'm digging it, especially after a month where the pre-codes (and B films) were few and far between.

I turned down an upgrade to my cable box, because I have nearly 100 films on my current box. I want to keep many of them; others I haven't watched yet.

I don't mind an endless parade of pre-code films. Love those Warner Vitograph movies -- I'm waiting to see *Frisco Jenny* again. But I'd also like to see *Jalna* -- not pre-code, but it hasn't been on for a long time. Maybe TCM should do a Jessie Ralph tribute!

Swithin, I can relate! I have had that happen to me, my cable box go belly up and have to miss out on a bunch of flix on the DVR!! Yikes!

I'm with you about FRISCO JENNY! I have never seen JALNA, that would be groovy to check out!

This post may contain a Frisco Jenny spoiler!

Frisco Jenny is like a sort of inverted Madame X -- perhaps you've seen one of the versions of that film. In Madame X, her long-lost son (unknown to him) becomes the lawyer who tries to get her acquitted of murder; in Frisco Jenny, the son is the DA who tries to get her (i.e. Ruth Chatterton) convicted! The last scene -- Helen Jerome Eddy burning the newspaper clippings -- is one of the most heartbreaking endings in any film. And Frisco Jenny also includes the San Francisco earthquake, which seems to be caused by a slap that Ruth Chatterton gets from her father!