Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Required watching tonight: "Baby Jane." Or "But you are in that chair!"

Neither star would admit there was any bad feeling, but there were plenty of behind the scenes stories and comments. Supposedly, Joan faked her illness during Charlotte so she wouldnt have to deal with Bette again......

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > > The film is deliberately about as claustrophobic as you can get.

> >

> > For that I have to pay $1.25?? .

> Oh, dear me, Fred...you are not breaking down your cable bill per movie now, are you?

:) No, I was thinking about how much it cost for me to see it in a theater in 1962.

I didn?t care for the film because it seemed so artificial. It seemed to be designed to shock people.

I don?t like to see my favorite ?30s and ?40s actresses looking so old. Greta Garbo did the right thing by getting out of movies just in time.

I don?t want to see the miserable lives of two sick old ladies. I didn?t want to see it when I was young, and I certainly don?t want to see it now that I?m old.

I would have been delighted if TCM had shown any 1930s double-feature, with a Bette Davis and a Joan Crawford film.

*It took 25 minutes for you to belittle my choice. Perhaps you were feeling clever, but I thought your post was mean-spirited and I was offended. Does disagreeing with me in that way make you feel superior?*

Actually, it took about 2 minutes (I do this while at work and have to be fast and furtive about it-depending on circumstances, which is why my many typos and bad grammar). You yourself say no one has to agree. Disagreeing doesn't make me feel superior, just have a different opinion. You knocked me, when all I wanted to do was express that this film has been shown quite often recently, I feel it is overrated, and people focus on the personality clashes of the actresses rather than the sad, sordid tale that it is. I took offence to the title of your thread (threat?) "Required viewing . . .", which if true, I would be watching this every couple of months or so.

What you just described is sometimes called "camp." I don't think anyone is expected to really take *Baby Jane* seriously. I laugh every time I watch it, that's its intention. No, it's not a straight-out comedy. Its humor is cerebral and tongue-in-cheek.

I doubt if anyone laughed at twenty-five-year-old Miss Davis when she played a horrible shrew in *Of Human Bondage*. Or twenty-six-year-old Joan Crawford as a prostitute in *Rain*. Those were completely different types of movies. (I throughly enjoined both movies, BTW). Dame Maggie Smith is 77 and still working. No "camp" for her! It's just isn't her style. And Dame Smith is one of my favorite actresses.

Some people like "camp," some don't. I always thought *Baby Jane* was a hoot! Same goes with *Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte*. I too would be delighted if TCM were to show any 1930s double feature with a Bette Davis and a Joan Crawford film. What the hell, make it several double features, all day long!

I'm not trying to talk you into liking something that I like and you don't. I respect your taste and understand your objections. Now I'm explaining my point of view. As I say over and over in this forum: "To each his own!"

Again, "genug ist genug!"

You admit having problems with English so I'll explain. That means "enough already!" or "no more!" in German. Literally: "enough is enough!"

You're trying your best to push my buttons, but sorry, I won't bite. Oh, god, now you have me mixing metaphors...

Although the film has it's campy aspects, I dont think Aldrich's intention was to make a campy movie. I think people view the film more that way now than when it was released (I cant really say as I was too small at the time to take much notice). There are moments of pathos, regret and irony. And like all movies about Hollywood, it shows the dark side.........I'm sure Bette Davis imitators had a field day, but not most of the audience.

*You admit having problems with English so I'll explain. That means "enough already!" or "no more!" in German. Literally: "enough is enough!"*

At the further risk of pushing your buttons, having you bite your tongue or mix your metaphors, I don't remember ever posting here that I have problems with English (although it was my second language after Spanish), and what any of that has with not understanding German ??Sepa la bola?!

You reminded me of a scene from ALL ABOUT EVE, as Margot Chandler snapped when Bill Sampson stated "You're mixing your metaphors":

"I'll mix what I like!"

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}

> Last Halloween I *was* Baby Jane Hudson, the most fun costume I've done in a long time-that over the top make up! I was amazed at how few recognised me and just thought I was a prom ghoul with the fur piece & sparkley pin beret. Who else wears blonde curls like that?

I certainly would have known who you were dressed as. :)

I can't find the pic online anywhere, but somewhere in a Three Stooges book I have there's a great shot of Larry Fine when he was in a retirement home, during a Halloween parade (I think)....and he's sitting in a wheelchair dressed up as Baby Jane! Almost scarier than Bette herself in that get-up (and I don't think it's been mentioned here...at least not that I've seen...that Bette designed and applied her own makeup for the movie).

> The film is deliberately about as claustrophobic as you can get. That's a large part of the film.

Myself being claustrophobic, the most difficult movie to sit through is *Ace in the Hole* with Kirk Douglas and Jan Sterling. Set in the mountains of New Mexico, Richard Benedict, as Sterling's husband "Leo," is searching for ancient Indian artifacts in caves. It's very dangerous work but with big payoffs. Suddenly there is a big cave-in. Throughout the entire movie (and many days) Leo is pinned under debris deep inside, in the dark, injured and with little air. Now THAT gave me the heebie-jeebies!

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> You reminded me of a scene from ALL ABOUT EVE, as Margot Chandler snapped when Bill Sampson stated "You're mixing your metaphors":

> "I'll mix what I like!"

Now you're talking my language! That was a good quote from a great movie. Do we both like *All About Eve*? Surly there must be common ground between us. Can we discuss what we agree upon and skip what we disagree? I have no doubt I could learn from you and I hope I might say something you find interesting. My main goal here is to make friends with like-minded movie lovers. Arguing is counterproductive on both sides, a waste of time for us and the others in the group who are subjected to it. I apologize for anything I said that you objected to. We both need to be more considerate of each others' feelings. I'm willing to try if you are. BTW, Bette Davis' character is "Margo Channing," not "Margo Chandler." Now that wasn't so difficult to hear, was it?

> {quote:title=irishboy wrote:}{quote}

> This is the third airing in the last two months.

>

> Too many repeats.

I know how you feel. It seems like that to me sometimes too. But in defence of TCM they show the same movies on different days, all different times of the day and in the wee hours of the morning. In say, a one month period, they'll show the same movie three times. The first time might be 8:00 p.m. Thursday. The second 2:00 a.m. next Wednesday, the third 3:00 p.m. the following Sunday. That's good. It gives everyone a chance to see it at a time that fits in with their TV-watching schedule. Often I have to miss a movie I really want to see that is on first in prime time, if I'm unable to be home to watch it. But I'll be able to see it a week or two later in the morning or afternoon, and I'm happy!

> {quote:title=FilmAficionado wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=irishboy wrote:}{quote}

> > This is the third airing in the last two months.

> >

> > Too many repeats.

>

> I know how you feel. It seems like that to me sometimes too. But in defence of TCM they show the same movies on different days, all different times of the day and in the wee hours of the morning. In say, a one month period, they'll show the same movie three times. The first time might be 8:00 p.m. Thursday. The second 2:00 a.m. next Wednesday, the third 3:00 p.m. the following Sunday. That's good. It gives everyone a chance to see it at a time that fits in with their TV-watching schedule. Often I have to miss a movie I really want to see that is on first in prime time, if I'm unable to be home to watch it. But I'll be able to see it a week or two later in the morning or afternoon, and I'm happy!

FilmAficionado, your excuse for TCM would have been logical in our pre home video technological days. But, this is 2011. I know I've said this before, but here goes, anyone who *has* to see any movie or program on TCM or any other channel can simply record it. In todays' day and age, there is no excuse for missing anything. I won't bore you all by repeating the list of methods available, but not recording something that someone is "dying" to see is just being plain lazy. And, I don't think TCM is programming with lazy people in mind. They repeat films because they can, it's as simple as that. They obviously don't care, because to my knowledge they have never addressed the issue. They know they are the only show in town and you all know there is nothing you can do about it.

Well, I wish they would repeat *Amarcord*, because it was interrupted by an emergency broadcast test on my local Comcast. I won't repeat the rest of my reasons why most people want repeats at one time or another.

But, I WILL repeat, from another thread, that TCM has far and away the fewest repeats of any movie channel, even the premium ones. Do you complain about repeats on FMC, HBO, STARZ, Cinemax? I'd bet that none of them shows more than 20% as many different titles as TCM, in any given month. To say TCM has too many repeats is absolutely ridiculous!

*"I'd bet that none of shows more than 20% as many different titles as TCM, in any given month. To say TCM has too many repeats is absolutely ridiculous!"* - VX

You, I and probably most of the members here know that. But to 'infinite1', the fact that *All ABout Eve* is on twice this month is an egregious affront to the audience and brands us all as complicit because we don't consider it a "problem" or complain about it.

Oh that _that_ was all one had to worry about in one's life.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh I feel your pain. Not with Amarcord that actually recorded fine for me but those emergency broadcasts happen all the time when I tape something late at night.

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 8, 2011 11:08 PM

I was not aware that there had been a remake of Baby Jane. I love this movie, and you might be surprised to find that it resembles the lives of many people today. Is the remake available anywhere, or can I go online to view it? Since I am still a neophyte to TCM threads, I am learning as I go, and I am really enjoying the information gathered along the way. (And by resemblence, I mean two women living together, and making life sheer hell for each other, but wanting no interference by anyone else.) Thanks for any assistance.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Oh I feel your pain....those emergency broadcasts happen all the time when I tape something late at night.

>

Something absolutely amazing happened a few nights ago...one of those tests came on, and it was BETWEEN movies!