Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dana Andrews

doctorxx

Don't forget *The Oxbow Incident*. Also, he did his share of film noirs besides *Laura* : *Fallen Angel*,

*Where the Sidewalk Ends*, and *Beyond a Reasonable Doubt* are solid noirs that come to mind. But yeah, he never became a household name type "star". But even when I'm watching a second-rate movie, if Dana Andrews is in it, he makes it better. And he has a good face.

Oh , also, that weird little scary film , *Night of the Demon*.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 8, 2011 10:55 AM

Andrews recalled the afternoon he shared a drink with the Gipper at some Hollywood watering hole.

"We finished our drink; I asked Ron if he was ready for another one" he recalled.

"But we just HAD a drink!" Reagan answered.

Andrews -- who was open about his battle with the bottle -- said: "It was then and there I knew Ron Reagan would never be me, and I would never be him"

*I recently saw Laura on TCM and State Fair on DVD and wondered if Andrews served in the military in WW2. If not why was he excused?*

Dana Andrews did have a medical condition (what it was I don't remember just now) that kept him 4-F, or whatever it was called. He was raised to stardom from second leads and Bs sort of by default, since just about all of the male stars on the 20th-Century Fox lot (which shared his contract with Goldwyn) enlisted during the war: Tyrone Power, John Payne, Henry Fonda, George Montgomery, even Richard Greene earlier with the British military. So those that remained behind got a chance at stardom (fleeting as it may have been in some instances), including Dana, Cornel Wilde and William Eythe at Fox.

Dana's drinking problems got progressively worse (early on he seemed to have been a functioning alcoholic), and some producers and directors would not work with him, which may have kept him from remaining at the top, or becoming a bigger star.