Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great TCM night: Jean Harlow! Not required, but highly recommended

Tonight there are 4 (count 'em), FOUR Harlow films on tonight! There are many classic Horlow flicks I'm sure

*Red-Headed Woman*

*Three Wise Girls*

*Riffraff*

*Suzy*

And if that were not enough, after that, two more great films:

Chaplin's classic *City Lights* where Harlow is an extra

Then George Bernard Shaw's *Pygmalion* with Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard

Can I stay awake until 5:00 a.m.?

For those who despise Jean Harlow and are eager to tell me so, instead try doing what I do when I don't care for TCM's evening lineup: watch CNN and find out what's happening in the world today. Or, read a book. People used to read books at home for entertainment and education before TV and radio. I still do it, even though it's an antiquated activity.

> {quote:title=FilmAficionado wrote:}{quote}

> Tonight there are 4 (count 'em), FOUR Harlow films on tonight! There are many classic Horlow flicks I'm sure

>

> *Red-Headed Woman*

> *Three Wise Girls*

> *Riffraff*

> *Suzy*

>

> And if that were not enough, after that, two more great films:

>

> Chaplin's classic *City Lights* where Harlow is an extra

> Then George Bernard Shaw's *Pygmalion* with Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard

>

> Can I stay awake until 5:00 a.m.?

>

> For those who despise Jean Harlow and are eager to tell me so, instead try doing what I do when I don't care for TCM's evening lineup: watch CNN and find out what's happening in the world today. Or, read a book. People used to read books at home for entertainment and education before TV and radio. I still do it, even though it's an antiquated activity.

What do you have against reading? "It's an antiquated activity" of all the arrogant, snobbish, comments. You are hyping 4 old movies starring an overrated, one dimensional actress who made a carreer out of playing good natured sluts, plus two other old creakers that need oil and you call reading "antiquated". I really don't mind the films, but don't label reading as some less sophisticated alternative to turning on the BOOB TUBE. That's just plain stupid.

I'm getting ready for a great night of enjoyment. Red Headed Woman is one of the best pre codes. Jean Harlow plays a gold digging unlikeable woman yet with a comic twist that actually makes her likeable. Very few women could pull this off and I believe this film showed her comedic talent.

Three Wise Girls is a rarity. It was orignally shown in July 2009 but not in primetime.

Riffraff shows Harlow in her new image as a "brownette"; a softened image of the hard brassy platinum blonde in her earlier films. And I like Suzy as well as it showed a genuine likeable character

in a film more drama than comedy. It was also her only starring role with Cary Grant. I once read that she had been considered for "Topper" but then she got sick and died. She would have been hilarious as Cary Grant's ghost-wife. Although Constance Bennett was very good in the role I think Harlow would have been even better (although I am partial to Harlow).

And I agree that those people who aren't into Harlow go tune in to another channel or get out a book and do some reading. LOL.

I am TOTALLY looking forward to this pre-code Goddess of the Silver Screen!!! Especially RED-HEADED WOMAN, and a film I've not seen before, THREE WISE GIRLS!!!! RIFF-RAFF is pretty darn good too!! What a night!!! Wooohooo!!!

What about this great promo

edit: Although I never heard reading was an antiquated activity. We can enjoy classic films, Jean Harlow and reading. lol

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 8, 2011 9:25 PM

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> What about this great promo

>

>

>

> edit: Although I never heard reading was an antiquated activity. We can enjoy classic films, Jean Harlow and reading. lol

>

> Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 8, 2011 9:25 PM

I would hope they weren't saying reading was an antiquated activity, but in these days of Kindles and Nooks, etc., reading a book is. Of course, some of us Luddites still embrace parts of the old technology (he said facetiously).

Oh, and Jean was an avid reader of all sorts of material. In fact, one of the last books she read just before her death was "Gone With The Wind."

Jean Harlow would make a great wife--for me. TCM had a game on their website a few years ago. You answered a number of questions, hit submit, then the actor or actress which came close to your answers was match as your perfect mate. I tried numerous times to fool the system by changing my answers and the website highly recommended that my perfect mate was Jean Harlow and I did not mind one bit. What an actress, woman, human being!!! I wish I were around in 1936 to save her from her fate in June 1937.

I thought I heard her say that she attrracted too many men with blonde hair. I guess, though, it was mostly lower-class guys she attracted. If she wanted to attract an upper-crust guy like the Morris character, I guess she thought red hair would be more effective. Is that it?

I agree that A WIG Honey

I did watch Red Headed woman then I dvr rest of night but yeah that wig you can tell on 50inches plasma TV LOL!

I am fan of Jean Harlow

SHe was good in Red headed woman

I like new YOU TUBE they put out on preview Jean Harlow movies this month

Mark,

:) Just watched *THREE WISE GIRLS,* which I have never seen before, and personally liked it allot better than I did *RED HEADED WOMAN.* Which I had seen several times. I'm glad that I watched this. Got such a kick out of Marie Prevost, as "Dot" my late Mother's Nick-name. And Mae Clark was so pretty, with such a lovely speaking voice. Much more attractive that Jean was, as far as I am concerned.

Gagman!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about two of last evening's films! I also really enjoyed THREE WISE GIRLS, with 3 of my favorite pre-code dames! Aside from Jean, of course, I also really dig Marie Prevost and Mae Clarke!!! Hotcha! I really enjoyed this film! I'm not sure if I like it better than RED HEADED WOMAN or not, but I really liked it!!! So much that I'm keeping it on the DVR for a bit to watch again! Hot stuff!!!

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> For pre-codes about women trying to sleep their way up in society, BABY FACE is far superior to RED-HEADED WOMAN

I don't know if I agree with that. I think both movies are interesting but Red Headed Woman definitely has the superior ending...a bad girl to the end!

Although I do like the symbolism of "rising to the top" in Baby Face.

But like others I also enjoyed Three Wise Girls on Tuesday Night. I almost didn't watch it but then I read how rare it was so now I am glad I didn't miss it. It was a bit predictable but a fun movie all the same.

And I still need to watch Suzy which I have recorded!

I'd agree, but that's like saying that Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers. Baby Face is my favorite pre-code movie of them all, and Stanwyck is my favorite actor or actress ever to grace the silver screen, but as a comedienne Ms. Harlow takes a back seat to no one. I've been waiting a long time for a Harlow month and I'm not going to miss a single one.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> For pre-codes about women trying to sleep their way up in society, BABY FACE is far superior to RED-HEADED WOMAN

?Baby Face? turns me off. Especially after Stanwyck ?slept? with the dirty railroad worker in the back of a dirty old boxcar. Yuck. Not exactly my kind of dame.

But ?Red Headed Woman?, uh, is, uh, well, sort of my kind of fantasy dame. And it?s a comedy type of movie too.

"Finance" should say that in his/her opinion "Baby Face" is far superior to "Red Headed Woman".

While I do like "Baby Face" I enjoyed "Red Headed Woman" much more. Some of the facial expressions Jean Harlow made as when she comes out of the phone booth and the wise cracks she makes (ie. when Chester Morris slaps her and she tells him to do it again cuz she liked it)

were hilarious. Even the opening vignettes are funny and they were placed there purposely to let the audience know this is a comedy.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. In MY opinion Red Headed Woman is far better than Baby Face.