Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let the employee pick the movie

lolarites

I watched an employee (her name was Boardman, I think) pick the movie last night. Her choice was Guess Who is Coming to Dinner. It's one of my favorites. I was shocked at this woman's lack of knowledge of this film and was wondering why she was even picked to to this. Was there that few employees who signed up to do this? It's an important film, not just because it deals with interracial marriage which was certainly a hot topic in 1967, but because Spencer Tracy died three weeks after they wrapped. Stanley Kramer knew he was very ill (he looked ill) and was as easy on him as he could be. He would only let him work a few hours a day, etc. The concluding scene where he tells everyone that he has agreed to his daughter's marriage was the last scene (if they shot it in sequence) he ever played. When he spoke about how he felt about Christina when he was young and how it seemed like yesterday and he looked over at Katherine Hepburn, her eyes brimming with tears, one felt like you were interrupting a very private moment because you know they had to be thinking about the 25 years they spent together, good times and bad and how fast the time had slipped by. It's extremely moving and to think it was overlooked by her comment of "I don't know why they didn't date first," meant the moment was lost on her and diminished the power of the movie for us all. It reminded me of that line in Saturday Night Fever when Stephanie Mangano said "well, that's the way they take the poison in those days." I know this point if fairly petty, but I hope the future guest employees have a little more insight into what on the screen than Ms. Boardman.

Granted, I did not stay up and watch this particular "employee pick", but I understand what you're saying.

Remember, these "employees" represent the average film lover. They are not film scholars, nor "in the biz" in the sense of an actor or director as most guest programmers.

This is precisely why I'm enjoying the employee's picks.

I enjoy when film touches people in different ways. I like how we can get into lengthy discussions over what was implied in a look or specific wording. Why diminish someone else's interpretation or feelings?

At best we're all participants in this medium rather than passive viewers spoon fed a story. This is actually why I dislike most of what I see in theaters today.

*I was shocked at this woman's lack of knowledge of this film and was wondering why she was even picked to to this.*

lolarites,

All of the films picked by the Employees this month are films that have special meaning to them. A film they saw with a beloved parent, watched when they were young and had an impact on their lives, that sort of thing.

So far, each Employee has done a great job of talking with Robert O about why they chose the films they did and why the films matter to them.

It is great to see the people behind the channel and I'm really glad TCM decided to do this. The employees all seem to love film and they are quite the diverse group.

I only came to the site to say that I love the idea of TCM employees picking the favorites this month! I just watched THE UNINVITED for my first time. Loved it. The movie reminded me of another movie for which I cannot remember the title...haunted house over the sea, full-size portrait of the sailor who lived there and with whom the leading lady falls in love. Anyone, anyone?!

I can never get enough of February's 31 days of Oscar...always sad when it is over.

lolarites -

Most "Guest Programmers" pick films for very personal reasons - especially "lay people" who don't study film in the way some do or are involved in the film industry.

Ms. Boardman stated at the very top of her intro that she was most interested in *Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner* because it came out the year she was born. She was fascinated with the what the film told her about that particular time - the clothes, the cars, the drive-ins, etc. Is that a particularly insightful reason for one to watch the film? Maybe not. But it is one of the reasons _she_ likes the film.

Besides, it is Robert Osborne's "job" to add all those other pieces of film history and trivia to the intro. And why he gets the "big bucks."

I think there are going to be some very interesting intros from the TCM Staffers during the month ahead. If you have watched any of the monthly podcasts hosted by a regular group of TCM'ers, you know which ones I mean. If you haven't seen a podcast, make a point of seeing the intros to *The Searchers*, *Rififi* and *In Which We Serve*.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=justmaketso wrote:}{quote}

> I only came to the site to say that I love the idea of TCM employees picking the favorites this month! I just watched THE UNINVITED for my first time. Loved it. The movie reminded me of another movie for which I cannot remember the title...haunted house over the sea, full-size portrait of the sailor who lived there and with whom the leading lady falls in love. Anyone, anyone?!

*The Ghost and Mrs. Muir*, starring Rex Harrison as the ghost and Gene Tierney as Mrs. Muir. (And a young Natalie Wood as Mrs. Muir's daughter, and George Sanders as another love interest.)

I'm a bit confused. Where is Robert Osborne and his TCM intros filmed? I always thought it was in NYC but when an employee guest programmer was speaking to Robert on the first night, he said, I paraphrase, "It's nice being here face to face with you in Atlanta." But the couches and the red chairs all looked the same as the regular furniture that we so often see in Robert's intros and with Alec Baldwin. Am I wrong about the furniture and background? Does anybody know where Mr. Osborne works and lives and what town our favorite channel is filmed from?

*I'm a bit confused. Where is Robert Osborne and his TCM intros filmed?*

The majority of intros filmed with Robert O are filmed in Atlanta. On occasion, if a guest's schedule does not permit them to fly to Atlanta, TCM will film those intros either in Los Angeles or New York.

Robert O lives in NYC and he flies to Atlanta every month to film intros and does them over a few days time.

The sit-downs with Alec Baldwin for *The Essentials* are usually done over a week in Atlanta as well.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Remember, these "employees" represent the average film lover. They are not film scholars, nor "in the biz" in the sense of an actor or director as most guest programmers.

Look, folks, we didn?t fall off the turnip truck just last week, did we? We all weren?t born yesterday, were we?

TCM is going to show the films they want to show, no matter what.

The films they want to show are all on a master list.

The way they handle the Employee Pick is probably by circulating the standard list around the offices and asking which employee would like to introduce which movie.

For example, we will NEVER hear an employee saying they want to see ?The Story of Temple Drake?. But we WILL hear employees say they want to see ?Guess Who?s Coming to Dinner?, ?Lawrence of Arabia?, ?Ben Hur?, and ?Bringing Up Baby?.

Well, doh, how do those employees know just what movie to ?pick??

*For example, we will NEVER hear an employee saying they want to see The Story of Temple Drake*

Fred,

We've been over this. Even if an employee or a guest programmer or Robert O or Alec B asked TCM to run the film, they can't.

The reason, rights issues.

Until the broadcast rights issues with *Temple Drake* get cleared up, TCM cannot air the film.

TCM is working clearing the broadcast rights but it is not a quick process.

You know that my point is that all GUEST PROGRAMMERS of all kinds see a list of movies they can pick from, and they CAN NOT pick their ?favorite old or classic movie? that?s NOT on the list, and the list is heavily weighted toward the same movies TCM shows over and over again.

It doesn?t matter if these people are called ?employees?, or ?movie stars?, or ?bums taken off the Atlanta streets?. They ALL must select only from the STANDARD TCM list of movies that the regular programmers would select anyway, and most of the films will be repeat showings.

THE TCM EMPLOYEE'S 24 HOUR DREAM SCHEDULE:

8:00 pm NORTH BY NORTHWEST

10:00 NORTHWEST BY NORTH ( North by Northwest shown backwards)

12:00 MR, SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (AGAIN)

12:45 MGM FEATURETTE: STUFF THEY ACTUALLY LEFT OUT OF BEN HUR !

2:00 NORTH BY NORTHWEST (special encore)

4:04 am HOLY ****! WE FOUND LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT IN SOME ATTIC SOMEWHERE! HERE IT IS FOR THE ONE AND ONLY TIME! BETTER NOT FALL ASLEEP IF YOU DON'T HAVE DVR!

6:00 NORTE POR OESTEDELNORTE ( North By Northwest en Espanol)

8:00 am HERBIE GOES TO MONTE CARLO

10:00 THE BOWERY BOYS GO TO HELL

11:30 CLAMBAKE

1:00 DR. ZHIVAGO

4:00 THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR TEST PATTERNS

7:00 PETE SMITH'S WORLD OF SMARM, A MINI-FESTIVAL

8:00 PM ALL ABOUT EVE

PS- for evey time Fred says "they never show Temple Drake " and then someone rolls their eyes and says "rights issues, rights issues, rights issues" I gots to chime in that Temple Drake can at least be seen in entirety on YOUTUBE

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Mar 10, 2011 7:51 PM

JohnnyGeetar I guess you missed some of the amazing films chosen by employees this month

Safe in Hell (amazing Pre-Code)

Caught (Rare Noir directed by Ophuls)

Riffifi (Great French Heist Film)

I also always cheer when Seven Samurai comes on.

And that is just to name a few of the ones I am excited for!

aw look, tongue was in cheek as I wrote!

(And for the record:: I've seen the list. Looking forward to Female and (also) Seven Samurai But as for the (dreaded) usual suspects: All About Eve , Baby Jane , Splendor in the Grass , The Searchers (one of my faves of all time,but c'mon, we've seen it), Cabin in the Sky , Imitation of Life , Jason and the Argonauts , King's Row (REALLY? that's someone's FAVORITE film? SERIOUSLY?), Strangers on a Train (excellent movie, but it's been shown as part of a lot of GP's and The Essentials), Annie Hall (ERG!) , Virginia Woolf , On the Waterfront (YAWN!), The Story of GI Joe and (Oh God, NOT AGAIN!) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner ? ...I 'll take a pass.)

But hey, it's (sort of) a free country and to each their own.

Obviously I realized you were joking but I still think you are being unfair to the employees. There were a lot of great choices this month and I am impressed.

And yes while some are not the most inspired choices (that is just my opinion) I think there are a lot of great ones to balance it off. A few of them are premieres too.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Yay for the intelligent young man who selected ?The Searchers? and who named one of his sons ?Ethan?.

Freaky!

I _also_ am named after John Wayne's character from The Searchers (in real life, that is.) And my middle name is Edward.

Lemme tell you though, it's not the easiest name in the world to be stuck with (people always call you Nathan or Aaron.)

But I guess it's better than being named "McClintock!"

*And yes while some are not the most inspired choices (that is just my opinion) I think there are a lot of great ones to balance it off. A few of them are premieres too.*

K,

I'm enjoying getting the chance to see and "meet" some of the people behind the channel. It's fun discovering that they love films as much as many here do.

Robert O asks each of them why they chose the film they did.

What I don't get is where is it written that everyone's favorite film has to be an obscure, rarely seen, or cult favorite film?

They were each asked to choose the film that meant the most to them. Just because some of them chose films that may not be obscure enough or seen enough (to some) doesn't make their choices any less meaningful.

The Employees are a lot like the posters here: a diverse group of movie lovers that have a wide range of tastes.

I certainly prefer knowing that than discovering they were all a bunch of bean counters with no interest in film or film history.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Yay for the intelligent young man who selected ?The Searchers? and who named one of his sons ?Ethan?.

>

> Freaky!

>

> I _also_ am named after John Wayne's character from The Searchers (in real life, that is.) And my middle name is Edward.

>

> Lemme tell you though, it's not the easiest name in the world to be stuck with (people always call you Nathan or Aaron.)

I wonder what trouble the young man's kid might encounter in school, now that the young man said about the Ethan Edwards character: ?He?s an unrepentant racist.?

I?m sure his bosses and managers required him to say that. The film can?t be shown on TCM without someone saying that in the introduction. Notice it in the future. Every time it?s on TCM, someone says that in the introduction. But no one ever says ?Chief Scar is a racist, a murderer, and a child rapist.? PCers don?t allow that.

*Not meaning to stir this up again, but did you notice Robert O. again mentioning TCM's "film library"?*

Yeah, but with at least three other threads already discussing this topic, does this thread really need to be hijacked as well?