Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lolarites

Let the employee pick the movie

Inifinite1, you remind me of the old joke..."When they made you, they broke the mold. And tried to make it look like an accident."

I would so love for you to show up at the Festival this year, just so a bunch of us can sit you down and ask you, "What the #$%&'s wrong with you?"

I mean, you don't believe anybody at any time about anything in any way.

With regards to rights, even you must realize they change from medium to medium. If you were at the Festival and you were on a panel about how much you love TCM (HA!), that's one thing. But if they filmed it and later broadcast it without your permission, you could sue. A number of films are likely held up from being broadcast due to rights issues. You could even look at a number of TV series that have included hit songs during a show; now you would think they could then be included on a DVD release, wouldn't you? Not so. A number of TV series on DVDs are minus those songs because to pay for the rights would be prohibitive for the little a company might make on DVDs.

And now to your latest belief from your conspiracy-obsessed mind, you actually believe TCM hired actors for the programmer spots this month??? Tell me, do you get drunk to come up with these "What can I say next to make everyone mad?" posts or do they just come to you naturally?

As lz said, they are real people.

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> Real employees don't look or speak that good.

I have met a number of TCM people and can tell you quite a number of the ladies are super attractive! I remember when I visited the network in Atlanta a few years back, I kept thinking, "I have so many hearts to break and only two or three days to do it in." ; ) And, believe it or not, they all have bright minds and can speak intelligently about movies.

Oh, by the way, while your way is not really wrong, the usually accepted phrase is "...speak that well," not "...speak that good." So it would have been a better-written sentence if you wrote, "Real employees don't look that good or speak that well."

> Where are the Janiters or the Cafeteria workers? It is a practice of companies to hire professional models/actors to represent employees in annual reports, videos, etc. Real employees don't look or speak that good.

By those criteria, I guess you qualify as a "real employee." :)

I think I have some insight into how some of this month's guest programmers must have felt recently...

I'd like all of you to imagine you have been offered a chance to sit down with Robert Osborne to discuss a movie you love. Unless you have been in that position, you have no idea how wonderful but also incredibly intimidating that offer can be.

First, it is a once-in-a-lifetime offer for a movie fan. It is an incredible honor to be asked to sit next to Mr. Osborne. You can't believe it. It is right up there with someone telling you that you have won the lottery.

Second, you are going to be on camera, and be seen by MILLIONS of people (and, more nerve-racking, by people you know and have to see every day after it airs).

Third, you have to choose just one movie to talk about. Imagine the pressure of that! Out of every film ever made, and out of all the ones you really love, this is it, you have this one shot to appear on television, on TCM, with Robert Osborne(!), what film are you going to choose??!!!!

Casablanca was my very first thought because it is my favorite film. But what could I ever possibly think to come up with to talk about that hasn't been discussed so many times before? So I eliminated that one...and that was painful, because who wouldn't want to talk about their favorite film with _Robert Osborne_ ? What can I discuss in detail and means a lot to me personally? I put them in order, and finally decided on a film that I really loved, Those Lips Those Eyes, because it was a movie I greatly identified with.

Except for a note about who I was on the teleprompter and the "Now here's Those Lips Those Eyes..." intro, everything we discussed was _unscripted_, including the outro.

During the few days I was there in Atlanta, I spoke to a lot of TCM employees and EVERY employee was a very enthusiastic movie lover...and they all loved their job.

I imagine a lot of what I went through is the same for this month's guest programmers: nerve-racking moments before shooting, what film to pick, what to wear that can make them look their best, what to say, and praying not to look like an idiot on camera.

They all have one thing in their favor, as I did...Robert Osborne is the classy gentleman he appears to be when you watch him on TV and he makes you feel very much at ease right from the start.

I salute all of this month's guest programmers.

I managed to save three photos from that era.

You look great. You look like a very intelligent person and an expert on whatever it is you are talking about. You could pass for a Senator, Professor, Doctor, Lawyer, International Diplomat, or Famous Author.

Oh, pshaw. And pshakespeare, too. All I can say to your compliments is a lyric from Stephen Sondheim's "Someone In A Tree":

"I was younger then."

Youth is not necessarily good for an image of a person, an "expert" on TV.

Take Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, for example. Handsome young

Jimmy Stewart looked too young, too skinny, and too immature to be

a Senator. The older guys looked like better Senators.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RW0mroCesfk/TUxgFOgNLvI/AAAAAAAAAwk/MULwB81mMG4/s1600/MrSmithGoesToWashington+5.jpg

fred, clearly you looked up some archival vid , something to do with TCM fans' picks. How did you do that? How can I look up stuff like that? When I enter anything on the search field, it just thinks I'm looking for an actual movie and comes up with nothing.

If it's really complicated, just post me the thread (if you'd be so kind. :) )

I don?t remember how I found the photos. I think maybe during that month, on the main TCM page, in the article about the guest programmers, there might have been a link to pictures of the guests in Atlanta. Seems like there were 8 or more photos. I saved just three of them to my hard drive. Each photo or each page had a unique URL address, but I didn?t save the address. I don?t know how to find the photos now.

I'm enjoying the Employees' Picks month already and looking forward to this Week 2.

I must say, though, now whenever I have a bone to pick about some (usually human) error on the channel or this website, I know whose department and possibly who specifically to nail it on. It will be hard to get Millie De Chirico's name out of my mind whenever the monthly schedule lists an incorrect running time that doesn't get fixed until a few days before the air date. I've missed the ending of several films that way, most recently "Woman in the Dunes"...

"Hey, Millie -- get on the stick!" LOL

> As for the Film Library, many of us have covered that subject ad-nauseum in other threads with you. Go back and read what has been written. There is no sense repeating the information when it can be found in other threads that you hijacked.

>

> Edited by: lzcutter

I don't "hijack" threads, I add to what has already been written by others. As to your so called "information" it is continually being contradicted by ROBERT OSBORNE, so I suggest you and your friends sit him down at the next FILM FESTIVAL and set him straight about this film library business because I still intend to question it until its answered to MY satisfaction. Oh, and I'm glad somethings bother YOU ad-nauseum. Now you know how we feel when the same films are played over and over ad-nauseum on the channel. LOL

Well, gee, answered to YOUR satisfaction? You mean, like having Mr. O go on the air and make a personal apology to you?

By the way, what films do you think are airing too much? I have 11 of the last 13 months of Now Playing magazine handy, and as pointed out in the "Not North by Northwest Again" thread, films like NBN and All About Eve have had a lot less airings than people complain about. Eve: only two showings over a 13-month period (and likely longer); North by Northwest: only aired in three months over that same 13-month period. (Of course, if somebody has info for June 2010 and Jan 2011, they can verify if there was any other airings.)

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=158483&tstart=0

Of course, you could always resort to the answer that no amount of Now Playing schedules can prove wrong: "Well, no matter what the facts are, it seems to me they air it a lot."

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Inifinite1, you remind me of the old joke..."When they made you, they broke the mold. And tried to make it look like an accident."

Am I supposed to be insulted?

>

> I would so love for you to show up at the Festival this year, just so a bunch of us can sit you down and ask you, "What the #$%&'s wrong with you?"

Pay for my ticket, my hotel room, and my meals and I'll take you up on it.

>

> I mean, you don't believe anybody at any time about anything in any way.

Yea, I do, but it depends on who anybody is and what anything is.

>

> With regards to rights, even you must realize they change from medium to medium. If you were at the Festival and you were on a panel about how much you love TCM (HA!), that's one thing. But if they filmed it and later broadcast it without your permission, you could sue. A number of films are likely held up from being broadcast due to rights issues. You could even look at a number of TV series that have included hit songs during a show; now you would think they could then be included on a DVD release, wouldn't you? Not so. A number of TV series on DVDs are minus those songs because to pay for the rights would be prohibitive for the little a company might make on DVDs.

Yes, I know all about rights, but it stinks for TCM to hype it on TV when they know damn well it can't be shown because of "rights" issues. And why show a film at the festival at all if it can't later be shown on the channel.

>

> And now to your latest belief from your conspiracy-obsessed mind, you actually believe TCM hired actors for the programmer spots this month??? Tell me, do you get drunk to come up with these "What can I say next to make everyone mad?" posts or do they just come to you naturally?

>

> As lz said, they are real people.

Never doubted they were real people, only that they were real employees.

>

> > {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> > Real employees don't look or speak that good.

>

> I have met a number of TCM people and can tell you quite a number of the ladies are super attractive! I remember when I visited the network in Atlanta a few years back, I kept thinking, "I have so many hearts to break and only two or three days to do it in." ; ) And, believe it or not, they all have bright minds and can speak intelligently about movies.

I was being facetious. However, did you meet any of these on air "employees"? I don't doubt that TCM employees can speak intelligently about movies, but speaking intelligently and comfortably in a relaxed setting is quite different from speaking intelligently in front of a camera where you have the added pressure of knowing that everything you do and say will be scrutinized on film by the company you work for. As TCM is loathe to edit RO's intros and closing remarks I doubt they edited these "conversations". Do you really believe that "employees" of TCM, that have no experience in front of a camera, can come off looking that good on a first take? If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn (New York) that I'd just love to sell you.

>

> Oh, by the way, while your way is not really wrong, the usually accepted phrase is "...speak that well," not "...speak that good." So it would have been a better-written sentence if you wrote, "Real employees don't look that good or speak that well."

"However, did you meet any of these on air "employees"?"

Yes.

"Do you really believe that "employees" of TCM, that have no experience in front of a camera, can come off looking that good on a first take?"

Who said each intro was done in one take?

> Well, gee, answered to YOUR satisfaction? You mean, like having Mr. O go on the air and make a personal apology to you?

How about him simply saying that there is no TCM LIBRARY. Is that simple enough for you?

>

> By the way, what films do you think are airing too much? I have 11 of the last 13 months of Now Playing magazine handy, and as pointed out in the "Not North by Northwest Again" thread, films like NBN and All About Eve have had a lot less airings than people complain about. Eve: only two showings over a 13-month period (and likely longer); North by Northwest: only aired in three months over that same 13-month period. (Of course, if somebody has info for June 2010 and Jan 2011, they can verify if there was any other airings.)

I'll double check your findings. If I'm wrong about North by Northwest I'll offer you my most sincere apologies.

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=158483&tstart=0

>

> Of course, you could always resort to the answer that no amount of Now Playing schedules can prove wrong: "Well, no matter what the facts are, it seems to me they air it a lot."

Hmmmm, not a bad ide......, no I wouldn't resort to that.

You can double check the listings, but don't apologize to me. I'd rather you apologize to the people on the board, in general, for making a pain of yourself here.

> "However, did you meet any of these on air "employees"?"

>

> Yes.

Well, without knowing how many out of the 31 you met, it's possible that some are capable of performing well in front of a camera, but unless you can swear for all of them I still stand by my remarks.

>

> "Do you really believe that "employees" of TCM, that have no experience in front of a camera, can come off looking that good on a first take?"

>

> Who said each intro was done in one take?

Come on, TCM will not edit one of RO's intros when obvious errors are made, do you really think they'll waste money to edit something that an employee says wrong? Why take a chance on an employee when a professional actor can do the job well on the first take?

Wow, Monica was fantastic!

These people, being in the TV business, already have a lot of experience at "public relations" (that's what we called it in the old days), so they aren't just shy factory workers or people off the street.

The ones who've said they get involved with the annual TCM film festival, have probably had a lot of experience talking to lots of people in an up-beat manner. In a way, that's like being on TV, because a person in that position represents the company and has to be careful about what he or she says.

Also, Mr. Osborne is fairly famous in the industry for making people feel at ease, so I'm sure most of the employees he interviews feel like they are just chatting with him, rather than talking to millions of people on TV.

In addition, since this is not a live interview, I would imagine that they probably tape a longer segment, then they edit out the best comments, and they don't use the ones that aren't so good. When I was in the news business, sometimes I'd have to interview someone for half an hour just to get a good 1 minute interview to put on the air.

But what I would like to see is an old man with long hair and a beard, wearing a cowboy hat and looking a little like Gabby Hayes, talking about his job at TCM and his favorite Western, which would be a Roy Rogers movie. I think it's dreadful the way major companies back East don't like to hire old men with long hair and beards, wearing cowboy hats. But that is fairly common out here in the West, especially around the dude ranches for Eastern vacationers.

It isn't a case of saying something wrong, necessarily. A take can be repeated for a different camera angle, for a guest wanting to try it a second time, etc. I know this for a fact. A five minute intro with a guest can take 30 minutes to do until the director is happy with it.

And you know what, I knew you would come back that I would have to know every single employee that is shown personally for you to believe it. And even then, I think you wouldn't. You are so way off base.

> . And why show a film at the festival at all if it can't later be shown on the channel.

>

How much is that doggy in the manger?

*"How about him simply saying that there is no TCM LIBRARY. Is that simple enough for you?"*

I guess you missed last week's conversation with the TCM Staffer in charge of Program Planning and Acquisition when that subject came up. You might have learned something.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Wow, Monica was fantastic!"* - FredCDobbs

Sorry I missed the intro. But I am looking forward to her outro.

*"Also, Mr. Osborne is fairly famous in the industry for making people feel at ease, so I'm sure most of the employees he interviews feel like they are just chatting with him..."*

Correct. That is how everyone is told to approach the interview. And RO is really the only person one can see while sitting there. It's not because the lights are blinding one to seeing those off-camera. They are "hiding". Even if one looks around, one can't see them.

*"In addition, since this is not a live interview, I would imagine that they probably tape a longer segment, then they edit out the best comments, and they don't use the ones that aren't so good."*

You're correct again, Fred.

*"But what I would like to see is an old man with long hair and a beard, wearing a cowboy hat and looking a little like Gabby Hayes, talking about his job at TCM and his favorite Western, which would be a Roy Rogers movie."*

And just what job would this person have at TCM? Hmmm?

Kyle In Hollywood