Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arnie13

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

I am disappointed in the new format. I do not like the Leonard Maltin reviews. Is TCM trying to discourage me from watching movies that he does not like? I don't think the home page needs video links. I also feel that having to go to a second page for the synopsis is a bit of a pain and is too time consuming. All in all I guess I liked the old format. Am I alone in this opinion?

Edited by: arnie13 on Mar 9, 2011 10:39 AM

I too liked it the way it was. this new format has taken away the monthly schedules, you cannot see the March, April, May and June schedules.

Take a look :Here is April:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=4/1/2011

Here is June:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=6/1/2011

If anyone knows how to be able to get these, please post about it as this really stinks that these monthly schedules are gone :(

IF IT AINT BROKE,DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by: classicstarletsfan on Mar 9, 2011 11:19 AM

This new schedule page is an absolute *DISASTER.* Who cares about Leonard Maltin's opinions? We're not a bunch of greenhorns who need to be guided like children. What we need are the printable versions of the upcoming months' schedules, *WITH SYNOPSES*, and the synopses for all of today's films, *ON ONE PAGE*.

With the old format, one could download and have instant access to three months' worth of plot synopses in advance. Now we have nothing remotely like that. I'd like to know what the rationale for this mindless move was, since I can't imagine that there were any complaints about the old format.

This new format is nearly as clumsy as the one they have on the Fox Movie Channel.

I'm sorry to say this about my favorite website and by far my favorite movie channel, but to put it bluntly, this amounts to TCM's version of New Coke. Let's hope that the TCM honchos are as quick to correct their tasteless drink as their fellow Georgians were to restore the original soft drink formula. You just don't mess with a good thing. *PLEASE RESTORE THE OLD FORMAT*.

"I'm sorry to say this about my favorite website and by far my favorite movie channel, but to put it bluntly, this amounts to TCM's version of New Coke."

I agree 100%. I logged in today and thought I'd somehow ended up on the wrong website. I had no idea this was coming. I try not to be a complainer, but , I hate this ! What was wrong with the old message board the way it was? Now it looks cluttery and confusing.

I'm too low-tech to adapt to this !

Seriously, did anyone know they were planning to do this? Did they notify us somehow, and I just missed it? And why did they do it? :(

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> "I'm sorry to say this about my favorite website and by far my favorite movie channel, but to put it bluntly, this amounts to TCM's version of New Coke."

>

> I agree 100%. I logged in today and thought I'd somehow ended up on the wrong website. I had no idea this was coming. I try not to be a complainer, but , I hate this ! What was wrong with the old message board the way it was? Now it looks cluttery and confusing.

> I'm too low-tech to adapt to this !

>

> Seriously, did anyone know they were planning to do this? Did they notify us somehow, and I just missed it? And why did they do it? :(

I don't want to complain either, but the new site doesn't sit well with me. I guess I'll get used to it, but I hate change.

I have to agree. It took me a long time trying to get from the front page to just here.

And the layout of the schedule should go back to the old way. I am glad we now have a title for the evening themes back again, but the elimination of the actors, plot, etc. is something that is wrong. We need that information. Clicking on each individual title is way too much work.

As far as Leonard Maltin, a number of people here will tell you I am not a kind follower of his work. Somewhere, sometime, he said that he doesn't write all the reviews in his books. I think it came out when someone complained to him about a review in his film review books and he said he hadn't seen the film, that he doesn't write them all. Anyway, his star rating is not going to make me see something.

On first glance the schedule is smaller, harder to read and I miss the little icons telling me the genre.

Someone asked about seeing the next month's schedule. At the head of the schedule there is a block showing today's date. There is a little arrow next to it. Click on it and you get the month's calendar and can click on a date or see another arrow to carry you to the next month.

I was comfortable with the old format but complaining won't do any good.

At least I can find my way around the message boards.

My guess is this is all still being tweaked. When I clicked on the schedule page it was not there. I find this new format here on the board difficult to read. It doesn't look as clean, with as much "white space" as there was before. However, if it means fewer technical problems in the future, I can live with it.

Some of the icons on the board, like the "Report Abuse" triangle, are enormous so something's off in the formatting.

*"Some of the icons on the board, like the "Report Abuse" triangle, are enormous so something's off in the formatting."* - MissGoddess

Lord. I am not even seeing those. All I see is a text link for "edit" and "reply".

Kyle In Hollywood

Hmm, the quote function isn't responding - but that could just be my work computer. Anyway, re: "complaining won't do any good"...not necessarily, movieman. Remember that "Track This User" function that had been introduced a few years back...or as many of feared it as "Stalk This User"? A protest went up about it (only one certain person on this board was in favor of it) while the rest of us said it had to go. And "go," it went.

MissG, I am seeing those large images, too. Most are about an inch square, with the "edit" one approaching 2 inches high.

You're right. I had forgotten.

Is the word "reply" sitting over another icon or is that the old reply icon? I can't tell. I do see the "report abuse" triangle but it is no bigger than anything else.

movieman, the Reply icon is tiny, but Abuse is large, and Search is so large that it is hard to tell that blurry objecy is supposed to be binoculars.

And I hate the schedule format too !

Plus, it's much harder to post now. When I click "post message", that notice pops up that says "your message is not saved. Continue or cancel?"

The "save " button doesn't work at all anymore, so if you just want to save a draft and post it later, forget it !

The only way I can post is to click the "continue" option, which theoretically means I lose the message. But that seems to be the new way to post !

I really hate this. And as hopefully many of you know, I 'm not usually sympathetic to complaining. What I really want to know -- kyle? lzcutter? anyone? - is, did they tell us they were planning to do this and I just missed it, or is this as much of a surprise to everyone as it is to me?

I really think they should have forewarned us they were making these major changes.

I never heard of anything prior to now, but I think it needed a few more test runs done.

On my home computer, the TCM main page looked quite nice with bits of Harlow around the edges. Here on the work monitor, I don't see that. And there is a large empty section in the middle where the icon to get to the message boards used to be.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> This new schedule page is an absolute *DISASTER.* Who cares about Leonard Maltin's opinions? We're not a bunch of greenhorns who need to be guided like children. What we need are the printable versions of the upcoming months' schedules, *WITH SYNOPSES*, and the synopses for all of today's films, *ON ONE PAGE*.

I don't care either way about the Leonard Maltin reviews, but I too would like the one-sentence synopses back on the print page.

That, and the printable schedule isn't quite so printable any more. With the old monthly schedules (with synopses), I was able to copy the whole thing and paste it into a Word document that only ran to about 26 pages. The new monthly scheudle has less information and puts in a bunch of blank lines (stuck in HTML p tags) that makes the Word document run to 40 pages.

And no, don't suggest I just download the PDF instead. I want to be able to pick to fonts used myself, thank you very much.

SIGH. I DONT like it! Why do they always have to change things? (THey meaning websites in general....) And no notice at all.....

*What I really want to know -- kyle? lzcutter? anyone? - is, did they tell us they were planning to do this and I just missed it, or is this as much of a surprise to everyone as it is to me?*

MsW,

I think we all missed it but late ast night I noticed that the Message Board Announcement Thread had been updated so I checked the thread and TCMWebAdmin/Renee did post that the website would be down this morning because they were upgrading it.

In the past, this has meant minor fixes. The last major graphic overhaul we had to the site was about five years ago when they changed the color scheme but the overall graphical look stayed the same.

A little more warning about the type of upgrade that was coming would have been nice.

I have already started a thread in the Tech Forum regarding posting. I get the "Do you want to navigate away from this page" box when I hit "Post Message" leading me to think that if I hit Okay my message won't post when, in fact, it does.

If anyone else is having tech problems, feel free to add to the thread.

Yes, I'm getting that warning also. CONFUSING!

Gosh, I have never seen so much nitpicking! Sure they seem to be working on getting the bugs worked out, so lets give them some time.

TCM obviously felt it was time for a change in the way their website needed to look.

Yes, there are changes galore. But instead of nitpicking every change you see, why not just look over the new site and check things out. There are some really nice touches that they have done.

Most of you have commented on the schedule and how that works now.

Have you clicked on the weekly schedule part yet?

If you do you will now notice that just below the window for Search, Day/Month and time zone windows there is a longer tabbed section for all genres. Click on one of those buttons and you will see all the listings of a particular genre for the week. If you are like me and you love westerns, you can now see where any western is playing for that week. Pretty cool feature.

As far as the Daily schedule is concerned, yes I miss having the short synopsis on the first page. But really it does not matter to me that I have to click on the title of the movie. However there is a lot more info available once you click on the name of the movie than before. Especially over to the left where there is a larger window for people to access even more info about a particular film.

I do not know what the beef is about Leonard Maltin. He is probably the most popular film critic in America now. I mean his books sell, and even though many of you seem to think that he is misleading you into thinking that he does not write all of his reviews in his books, let me just point this out to you all:

You really think one person can and has seen more than 40,000 films and then write reviews for each one of those films over his entire professional life? And still do other things with his professional life like write other books and appear on television?

Also if you have read his review books then you must have seen at the very beginning that he calls himself Managing Editor and that he has contributing editors. That means that YES, he does NOT write all of the reviews that are printed in his books. He is NOT Roger Ebert who prints his book once every few years with less than 500 films in each book. Ebert's reviews are really short to medium length essays where as Maltin's are meant to be short synopsis of movies.

So, again I do not know why there is so much criticism of Leonard Maltin. I mean maybe TCM wanted someone of his "stature" to appear on these pages? Who knows, but at least there is some commentary worth reading now.

Overall I'd have to say that the website is easier to move around and gather information. And to a potential member that might consider joining up that is more likely what the admins were trying to accomplish.

Now to the rest of you it probably was not as important. Because lets face it, the message boards and the rest of the website will be used by the rest of us whether we like the changes or not. As some of you have suggested, TCM listens to complaints and they will probably over time listen and then make tweaks or changes to this new format change.

I am not trying to defend what they did with this new change. All I am saying is give them some time to work out the bugs and for a change, try and give the new format a try. I mean, lets face it, where else are you all going to go and still get all of this information that you have available to you all in one place?

I finally saw the new schedule format...I actually like it. And I love the ability to sort by genre in the weekly section. It is terrific, I've always wanted to have that option here.

Hi, Rey,

I was one who criticized Maltin, and proudly still do so. One would expect with his name and picture plastered on the book, one could expect the reviews were done by him. But I am also just tired of Maltin, on the whole. Some do like his appearances on TV and on DVDs, but, for me, he's just a little too much in your face with his enthusiasm. For me a bonus for a DVD is when he doesn't appear on it. I went to a wake (of sorts) for Clayton Moore, and he showed up there, too, speaking on something or other. Enough!

As to letting the technicians work out the bugs of the new page setup, I think it is healthy to point out as we are doing the faults...otherwise, they may not know about them.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by: filmlover on Mar 9, 2011 1:21 PM

I am sorry Peter. My mac froze up and I had to restart and my original message was lost, so I had to go back and re-edited it. Unfortunately, I did not do a good enough job proofing my reply.

I understand how you feel about Maltin. His face does seem to be everywhere, but as far as regular, everyday non-focused film fans (unlike us) are concerned, I am sure he appeals to those people. And I am sure that is why TCM got his reviews on the pages here. Not for us, long-time users of the boards, but a way to bring other less focused film fans to the site.

And I probably did not mean to come off sounding as if concerns were being brought to the attention of the web administration people. I am sure they are more than interested in hearing what we have to say to them, of course in a constructive way.

I was commenting on the general "nitpicking" complaints at the very beginning of this thread.

fxreyman, the problem is about 1% about Leonard Maltin, and 99% with the fact that you now can't view a day's (or three months') worth of synopses without having to go to a different page for every single movie.

Previously the first of the month was like Christmas morning, when the new schedule was posted two months in advance. You could first copy and paste the entire schedule, save it as a Word document, and within a matter of seconds be able to see the entire month in front of you, complete with clickable links to each and every film that provided you with the complete info for that movie. It was a gem of simplicity, convenience, and information, and as easy to navigate as any website in existence.

You could then easily create your own personal schedule by copying and pasting your favorites on another Word document, and within an hour or so you had an easily accessible reference that contained your own choices, also complete with clickable links to further information about each specific movie. The only drawback was an occasional schedule change, but once you realized that these things happen, you'd remember to check the daily schedule for updates.

Perhaps as you say, this new format is still a work in progress, and let's hope so. But when you take as perfect a format as TCM had up through yesterday, one would think that there would have to have been some overriding fault with it that demanded correcting.

Maybe I'm just stupid and fail to see the corporate perspective, but can anyone clue me in as to exactly what those faults were? Why on earth would they want to eliminate the synopses and actors' names, when that vital information was *EXACTLY* what guided us in choosing which films to bookmark?

And why would they *NOT* want to have three months' worth of schedules (with synopses and the names of the three main actors) on one convenient page per month that could easily be scrolled and referred to?

Earlier I compared this new format to New Coke. After repeatedly trying to navigate it for the better part of the last two hours and getting nowhere, I think that it's more like taking a freshly tapped pint of beer and pouring two ounces of sugar and two spoonfuls of vinegar into the mug.

I've been a fan of TCM since the day our cable system began carrying it and this is the first time I've ever complained about anything, but seriously, *THIS NEW FORMAT HAS GOT TO GO.*