Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Fedya,

>

> Not sure if it will help but you can set the number of posts per page and how you want to read threads (new to old or old to new) in your Control Panel, located above next to your PM box.

You misunderstand. I did that long ago, and in theory, that should have stuck. This thread, at ~225 posts right now, should have five pages for me. However, every time I log into the board, the software shows links for pages 1-15 (well, it skips a bunch of the pages between 4 and the last page). Before the upgrade, it would correctly show just five pages.

There's also a problem with the long threads like the one about Bronxgirl's mother over in Hot Topics in that the links are now putting a comma in if it's jumping to more than the 1000th post in a thread. (Technically, the links end with something like "&start=50" for the second page for me; by the time you get to page 21, the link should be "&start=1000" when it is in fact "&start=1,000".) The software doesn't seem to be displaying the posts if you leave the comma in the link. I'm probably the only person to notice this since I doubt most people have changed their preferences to have the oldest posts first. (I find it annoying to follow a conversation with the board's default top posting, especially when posts run to more than one screenful of text. Getting from the end of one post the the start of the next newer post which is some screens of text above, is irritating.)

FredC: I had the same experience with a double posting that you did and decided on the same course of action. Since I type my posting on Notebook and copy to the Board I can resend it if it dosen't take.

When I logged in today I found the print is no longer clear. Some letters are lighter than others like the Batik font which makes reading difficult. It might be my computer or monitor. Need to wait and see, I guess.

> {quote:title=Web wrote:}{quote}

> "-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)"

>

> The way it was. Where each month popped up in it's own window. Currently that's only 1 month.

That's what I'm hoping they'll get back, the old format monthly schedule which includes a synopsis and it's own window. I don't want to have to be clicking on each day from the drop down box in the daily schedule to see what's upcoming.

I also hope they'll fix the upcoming movies for an actor you might search for. Currently, you get a handful listed on their overview page, whereas before you got the full listing for all the upcoming months just to the right on their bio page. That was a really handy tool.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> FredC: I had the same experience with a double posting that you did and decided on the same course of action. Since I type my posting on Notebook and copy to the Board I can resend it if it dosen't take.

>

> When I logged in today I found the print is no longer clear. Some letters are lighter than others like the Batik font which makes reading difficult. It might be my computer or monitor. Need to wait and see, I guess.

Sounds like maybe your computer screen, maybe.

What thread and post was it?

My problem now is the new board won?t take my Word document quote marks. They show up like ?this?. All other boards I?m on will take it and have taken it for the past 11 years.

I'm in London, UK at the moment, interesting to check out TCM on tv here -- I have two TCM channels, one starts at 8pm.

Will the new site allow for e-mail changes? I have an outdated address registered in my profile, which deprives me of certain benefits, and I don't want to re-register. If they are improving the site, it would be nice to fix that kink.

Fred C: It was the monitor; I had to reconfigure the resolution. Not only is it back to clear but the print is showing up larger. Thanks for the help.

I thought you were the one who suggested doing a draft on Notebook then copying to the Board. If not, that is what's working for me as punctuation goes. I looked for that "text pad" somebody else said to try but couldn't find it in my system-at least not yet I haven't. I would enjoy using it for the spell check since the Board one still does not seem to be working.

I spent the evening at schedules checking for this evening's fare and found what was playing up to Thursday as well as the reviews. I don't think the new deal is all that bad. My TV has a reminder set up for up to a week so I'm covered for that and the movie synopses are good. I must really be in a minority rut because I've always liked Leonard Maltin's opinions for the most part.

I agree with you..I do not care for this new schdule at all!!! I have tried to post my concerns and I cannot post at all. I cannot look ahead on the schedule (except for the month we are in) and I also cannot find where to send myself a reminder email of upcoming movies in the months ahead...or in this sad case, the month ahead. Life is hard enough, I use to think TCM was my one escape from my hectic life, and now, this is nothing but STRESS and confusion. Thanks for nothing, TCM.

Patricia Chicago-irishqueen

I am also having no luck in getting the reminder feature to work, really frustrating I must say. Hopefully they will eventually get this new and not improved website to actually start working.

Frustrated and unhappy TCM viewer

Irishqueen,

The mods and the Web Team are very aware of the problems and how upset people are.

They have asked that problems be posted in the Tech Forum in the "Problems with Upgrade" thread.

The Email Reminders, the change in the schedule and various other issues have already been posted there by others. They are very aware of them.

But, the Mods are using that thread to share information about the work the Web Team is doing.

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=158621&tstart=0

(and I always had the impression that TCM was such a professionally run organization!)

Live and learn, eh?

I do see that they've put a bridge on some views between the graphics on the right side of the page and the posts. So they are taking baby steps.

But in other views, the graphics are still overlaying the posts by a quarter of an inch.

Next time, TCM? Don't outsource your programmers.

This is awful..the daily schedule is more difficult to read, smaller..If I want to see who is in it or what it is about I have to hit each dropdown?? terrible whoever did this.., Also, I would like to know what happened to "when you search for a movie, it will also tell you when it will air" and being able to suggest the movie if it is not sceduled to air. Why would you change something that worked????

I am the one who uses TextPad (note no space between "text" and "pad".) This is a text-editor-only application that I bought a long, long time ago. I use it for all of my text processing work, which is generally unrelated to posting in these TCM forums.

Yes, this splendid application has a spell checker, among all of the other features. It is very reasonable priced, and once it is purchased all future upgraded versions are free. What is so outstanding, by the way, is that when these people claim that this or that feature is available, they are not kidding! I have never, ever found and error in their work.

Let me once again emphasize that I have no financial interest in TextPad. I just feel that it is a much better choice than the heavily bloated Word or the flimsy Notepad or the intermediate Wordpad, and dedicated text processors that I have checked out over the past years. I always end up with TextPad, which is saying something. Check it out. You can try it out for free.

Musikone

(and much, much, more)

The new online schedule no longer retains my time zone setting from day to day, hour to hour or even minute by minute. This morning, after clicking on the schedule that now always defaults to Eastern Time, and after selecting Pacific Time, the "working" indicator at the bottom of my screen just creeps along. With the old online schedule this process used to take a second or two. After about twenty minutes with little progress toward showing the Pacific Time schedule I gave up. Perhaps I'll come back in a few hours to see if the schedule screen has found it's way to Pacific Time.

Gads, whatever did you do to the schedule? It's a disaster.

How anyone could possibly think this is an improvement is beyond me.

It was FINE the way it was.

PLEASE change it back.

At the very least, have the next month or two posted and have times other than Eastern available.

STemplar

I waited a few days to post about the schedule changes, because I wanted to see if a few days would help me figure everything out, and I would like it better. Unfortunately, I hate the new schedule format.

h2. *I like seeing the sched by month, being able to see everything about the movie at a glance.*

On top of that, you cannot go back to check something from the day or week before.

I really hate having the star ratings from Leonard Maltin's book showing for every movie. I want the director and cast list back. I hate having to click for everything.

I think it's actually detrimental to TCM to have the reviews on the expanded paragraph. I have always enjoyed discovering new movies, maybe they aren't all 3 or 4 stars, but well worth seeing....I am afraid that some new members looking at the schedule will skip over movies based on this review system. I have nothing against Mr. Maltin at all, he's a very nice man. Put it on all page that is the reader's choice.

The new schedule FIASCO continues: Today I have tried 4 or 5 times to bring up the daily schedule to no avail. My only hope is that they have decided to dismantle the new website and are going back to the very well designed and efficient one they had before.

What is going on TCM? Is there anyone there actually working on this disaster of a website?

*What is going on TCM? Is there anyone there actually working on this disaster of a website?*

The mods are responding with updates in the Tech Forum where they repeatedly asked that people post (but not post a problem already in queue) the difficulties they are encountering.

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=158621&tstart=0

What is going on TCM? Is there anyone there actually working on this disaster of a website?

Dubious.

Hmmm, earlier I could have sworn there was a delineation from the right side graphics that allowed the posts to be read. Now it's gone and the posts are cut off again.

Hey TCM, can't you restore the earlier version and put this one back on the drawing board? Or did you throw out all your notes?

Well, at least no one is picking on RO while this abomination occupies us.

I hope that TCM is endeavoring to repair its "New and Not Improved" website and hope that is the reason I have been unable to access the Canadian schedule for the past two days as well as being unable to access the weekly or monthly schedule or data base. Why not make sure your new website actually works before foisting it upon your customers? Just a simple question.

This message, which points to a link of more messages?

The mods are responding with updates in the Tech Forum where they repeatedly asked that people post (but not post a problem already in queue) the difficulties they are encountering.

I don't see the answer to my question, unless it's being worked on is an answer.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> Could this entire online schedule disaster be a diabolical plot to get more people to purchase the Now Playing guide? Just wondering.

I'm just cynical enough that the thought crossed my mind, but probably not. I hope not.

Actually, it's just a psychological experiment on the part of TCM to see if they can induce people to start multiple threads, arguments, and generally go berserk. So far, I would say the experiment has been a success.