Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arnie13

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

Andy, I would say not so much that the new format has to go...but it definitely needs to be modified. A lot.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they dumped the right hand column of Popular Forums and Popular Discussions. I'd rather have more reading room across the page for the posts and pictures. (it's causing images to be stretched up and down, people appearing thin like in a funhouse mirror

WOW! Little did I know when I clicked on TCM today I would find everything so different. Naturally, it's gonna take some getting used to, but I think I'm really going to like it. Change is good sometimes. Keep up the good work TCM.

AndyM108

I agree with you!! I wish they had not done away with the schedules for the next 3 months as they were so easy and simple.

Why get rid of a good thing? And WHY fix it when it aint broke?!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now we get this:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=3/1/2011

And so on to June.

This is really upsetting as the monthly schedules were perfect as they were and so easy to see

what would be shown for the month and all the info with each title too.

Lets hope TCM brings the schedules back and as they always were!!

FYI, for those wanting to see April or the beginning of May's schedule.

Go to the date tab on the schedule and the March calendar will appear, you can click on the arrow in the right corner and it will take you to the April calendar and if you click on the arrow again, it will take you to the May calendar (where only the first week is listed for now).

As for synopsis of the films, they are still there. Go to the film you want to see the synopsis for and click on the right hand side where it says 'expand', that will create a fall-down menu with the synopsis and whether the film is available on DVD.

I still prefer having the synopsis in the old style so maybe there is a way to incorporate some of the old beloved features with the new.

And as for Leonard Maltin, you actually have to click on the review page for the info to appear so it's not that big deal for me. I can't see it when I go to the schedule page but I guess it's nice for those who want to take the time to expand that section and see Maltin had to say.

His star review system won't be the deciding factor for me if I watch a movie, but I understand it may help folks new to classic films make a decision about a film.

"Gosh, I have never seen so much nitpicking! Sure they seem to be working on getting the bugs worked out, so lets give them some time.

TCM obviously felt it was time for a change in the way their website needed to look.

Yes, there are changes galore. But instead of nitpicking every change you see, why not just look over the new site and check things out. There are some really nice touches that they have done."

Couldn't agree more. All these comments since just 10:35 this morning, and so many of them negative in tone. The Harlow wallpaper is a nice new touch, and there are probably many other things to like about the changes. I for one won't know until I've worked my way through them and given them a chance. Every change takes some getting used to.

I also encountered the glitch with the warning prior to posting a comment that I was about to lose it instead. I simply saved my comment, to be on the safe side, and then posted, and found that it worked. As the webmasters are made aware of the glitches, I'm sure they'll try to fix them -- but it would be nice if we call their attention to the problems in a friendly, courteous way, while appreciating the effort that went into the redesign. (Sorry to sound more Pollyannaish than fiendish in this case.)

I think the board looks pretty nice myself. However, where is "Suggest A Movie"?. I don't often request anything, but I look in there everyday curious to see what people are asking for? Don't tell me that they are canceling this feature? Haven't had time to study a allot of other stuff yet.

*The Harlow wallpaper is a nice new touch*

I wonder if it will change each month and reflect the current Star of the Month?

Here are a couple of things I see-

They need to go back to the old month schedule format, the new one has the font too large, and they removed the later monthly schedules and the small snippets about each movie.

This forum seems good to me, actually an improvement.

Adding the Maltin reviews I think is good, but not make them more important than the user submitted reviews. I would even add reviews from other critics along with Maltin, the more the merrier. Add voting on user submitted reviews then the best one would be at the top. I would also take away the Maltin review ranking from the schedule page because he ranks many movies shown as only being average. For today it shows him having two movies as two stars and three at 2 1/2 stars. That makes it seem like TCM isn't showing any good movies today when they are.

The homepage is great for those on high speed, but not for the dialup folks.

So I guess from reading what you wrote you obviously spend a great deal of time watching movies on TCM?

And you depend on the schedule to plan your days around every favorite film you want to watch?

So maybe I am missing something here. Are you saying that you print out a block of films three months out from the beginning of a three month block of time so that you can schedule which movies you are going to watch over that three month schedule?

You indicate that there will be times when there is a schedule change, and I am thinking when someone passes away and they schedule a block of films for that person thus preempting the regular schedule, but then you say you always check the schedule anyhow.

They still have the current month's schedule available with synopsis and actors names, year the film was produced and running time with a chance for you to click on the name for further information.

It's just that their daily schedule has changed to a new format. And that new format for the daily user has changed so that it now takes you to another page with even more information for the user to tap into.

And yes, corporate entities try and make changes when they think that the information they want to get out to the public may be getting stale. Maybe that is why they made this startling new change in the format now. You and many others may not be happy with this new format, but maybe the corporate entity in charge wanted to ensure that future potential users / consumers to the website would be treated to something new and exciting.

This is all about marketing. How they can entice new consumers and or users to join up and visit the website and channel, thereby increasing sales revenue by allowing the new users / consumers a chance to see what a new and exciting channel they have for them.

I still believe that the people in charge are still working to make sure that the bugs are getting worked out and that it will take several days, maybe weeks for the new format to work totally right.

Until that time might I suggest you go over to the Technical Issues with the Message Board Forum and post your thoughts under the thread about posting problems that lzcutter started or start your own thread with other concerns. I am sure that the admins will read these comments and take into consideration your feelings.

But as far as going back is concerned.... I am sure that they probably spent a good chunk of time and money on this refurbishment and they are not going to go back to the "old days".

filmlove, I do like the genre keys and I don't particularly mind about the Maltin reviews, but the bottom line is that they need to restore our ability to access the synopses without having to navigate off the daily schedule page for each movie. To put it politely, this makes a pleasure into a chore.

They also need to keep those advance schedules with the synopses and the actors' names / director's name / running time / year of release. And they need to keep all this information on one scrollable page, complete with links for fuller synopses, full cast, etc.

Once they restore that, then if there's still room for Leonard Maltin, that's fine by me.

But here's the key issue: Many of us prepare our upcoming personal viewing schedules by glancing at these short plot summaries, and not to be able to see them all on one page utterly ruins the viewing experience of the website. It will now take the better part of a day to plan a schedule for the upcoming month, whereas previously it could be done in 2 or 3 hours, and to save the information for future reference will take so much time that it won't be worth my while. There's still the Now Playing magazine for the synopses, which is great, but that should be a supplement to the website, not a substitute.

I'm sure that the creators of New Coke felt that they could never go back, either. But fortunately, they listened to the feedback. Hopefully the folks at TCM will, too.

Of course this is about marketing, but that doesn't mean that every marketing decision is, or should be, set in stone.

If the point of the website is solely to attract new viewers---read "casual movie fans"---to the site, then I guess I can see bumping the synopses and actors' names off the schedule page, and replacing this key information with the number of stars that Leonard Maltin awarded. But with all due respect to Mr. Maltin and his able assistants, I can't see that this is going to attract more viewers than it alienates.

As for the technical issues surrounding the message boards, I wouldn't know about them. I've been watching TCM for a decade, but this is the first time I've tried to post on the board, and I've encountered no problem. My issue is solely with the ruined schedule pages, both daily and monthly. If you don't see the issue here, then obviously we're simply talking about two radically different perspectives on the purpose of the schedule pages.

I have had eye surgery recently and I actually find the site much easier to read. It seems clear and less dense. I also like the Jean Harlow wallpaper!

Why is there no "remind me" button the the individual movie pages? ( That's the feature where you can type in yourr email address and TCM would email you 24 hrs. and 1 week before the film was scheduled to air.) I used this feature alot, since I'm frequently too busy to check the schedule on a given day. I also like to DVR films that are on late at night, while I'm sleeping. If "remind me" is still there but I missed seeing it, please let me know.

> {quote:title=cherie62 wrote:}{quote}

> Why is there no "remind me" button the the individual movie pages? ( That's the feature where you can type in yourr email address and TCM would email you 24 hrs. and 1 week before the film was scheduled to air.) I used this feature alot, since I'm frequently too busy to check the schedule on a given day. I also like to DVR films that are on late at night, while I'm sleeping. If "remind me" is still there but I missed seeing it, please let me know.

I looked for it and could not locate it, either. I'd like to express my hope that this feature

will be restored. I have such a poor memory and habit of forgetting to make note of when

a particular movie is being aired, so "Remind Me" was one function I found extremely helpful.

*Why is there no "remind me" button the the individual movie pages?*

cherie62,

The reminder button is there. You have to "expand" the listing so that the synopsis comes up and at the bottom of the synopsis is the "Reminder" button.

Go to the Schedule, chose your film, in the right hand corner of the film listing it says "expand" click on that and the window opens up to include a bevy of information including the Reminder button.

Hope that helps!

I'm seeing funny little symbols in posts. They may be replacing quotation marks. I'm not sure. And I can't find my PMs. I see INBOX, but can't click on it. Other than that, the new format looks OK.

Hi Lynn,

I think Cherie is referring to the individual pages dedicated to each film. These used to have a "Remind Me" button as well. If you wanted to look up a film to see if it was coming up, you could search the database for it and when you got to that film's page and it was scheduled, you could set up a reminder from there. As it is, you have to know the movie is scheduled to begin with, to access the reminder...from the schedule. If that makes sense, lol.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I'm seeing funny little symbols in posts. They may be replacing quotation marks. I'm not sure. And I can't find my PMs. I see INBOX, but can't click on it. Other than that, the new format looks OK.

Red, if you see the number in parentheses to the right of "Inbox", click on the _number_ and it will take you to your Inbox.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me this morning when I opened up TCM. So far I don't like it, but as with anything, change always takes time. I don't know what was wrong with the other format, I think it was much easier to read, and I like the bold print. IMdb also recently reformatted its homepage and I'm still getting use to that. Haven't tinkered with this one much yet but I'm sure certain things will be harder to find until totally use to it. Also it keeps defaulting to the Eastern Time zone setting even though I keep clicking on PT. I hate that, what are we, peons out here? All in all, it was a huge surprise and we'll all just have to see what the public response to it is.

I have to agree with a lot of the other people here about this new formatting idea: I DON'T LIKE IT!!!

Talk about an eye strain, and no summaries for any movies except the one currently playing, whose bright idea was that one?

I started a thread on this on the Hot Topics forum awhile ago because I couldn?t find one. Fxreyman pointed me here before mine was closed down for duplication.

I did not realize that the schedule had also changed. I went there and found it takes a couple more clicks to get all the info but there is now more of it as well as a chance to order it if you want to.

Like lzcutter, I was taken aback by the ?navigate away? message but am used to it now. My problem is that I can?t find the review message option which helps me see if the titles are in italics as I prefer to put then or my faces took. Am I not seeing it or is that kaput? If so, I?d like that back. Also the spell check is not working. I?m doing my composing on windows to check it there and then a cut and paste to the message board.

I love the new artistic layout and that the print is larger on the forum and thread lists. I?ll be open minded about the rest and hope the bugs are worked out. Everything changes sooner or later not just in politics. All you can do is go with the flow, wait for things to turn your way again, or realize the change wasn?t so bad after all.

> {quote:title=SoCalGal16 wrote:}{quote}

> I thought my eyes were deceiving me this morning when I opened up TCM. So far I don't like it, but as with anything, change always takes time. I don't know what was wrong with the other format, I think it was much easier to read, and I like the bold print. IMdb also recently reformatted its homepage and I'm still getting use to that. _*Haven't tinkered with this one much yet*_ but I'm sure certain things will be harder to find until totally use to it. Also it keeps defaulting to the Eastern Time zone setting even though I keep clicking on PT. I hate that, what are we, peons out here? All in all, it was a huge surprise and we'll all just have to see what the public response to it is.

You know, I was not going to post anymore thoughts here on the new format but you easily gave me the opportunity to respond to something you just wrote. It is highlighted above.

You have written that you have not tinkered much with the new format so what do you do? You come on here and start complaining about how much you do not like the new format. Ever thought about giving something a chance first before making comments about it? You remind me of another poster here, who watches half of a movie and then complains that he does not understand what the message of the movie is before he has even seen the entire film!

Do you comment on a new car that you are going to buy before you take it for a test drive?

Do you perform research on a candidate for public office before voting for him?

Take your own advice please. And look around and see what they have done. Are there some things missing? Yes, some features are missing, like the preview feature when composing a message. But like with everything, it will take some time to work all of the bugs out of the system. Give it a chance.

As far as I am concerned, I think they have made the place a lot more inviting and easier to access. Of course this is my humble opinion.

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 9, 2011 3:47 PM

Two immediate thoughts on seeing the new weekly schedule layout.

Anything that takes more clicks -- even one -- to see something is arguably not an improved layout.

Second, I too miss the genre icons. I get that you can sort a list by genre, but when I print out the entire weekly schedule they're no longer there.

I can see how they decided some changes were pluses, but was it really necessary to get rid of previously useful aspects of the old format?

Edited by: NewYorkGuy on Mar 9, 2011 3:44 PM

Does anybody else see bizarre symbols in Wouldbestar's post below? They replace quotes and apostrophes. I see it other posts as well.

That's one I typed up on Windows and copied to the board. Perhaps I need to add the puncuation after I've transfered it. We'll see after this goes through.

Yep, that's it.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Mar 9, 2011 4:16 PM