Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arnie13

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

From a usability stand point I definitely think there are some issues. Okay I found the synopsis and remind me links by clicking Expand but only after I read that is how you do it on this message board. And even then it took me some time to find the Expand link. Just think about the many people out there who are not on this message board.

You should not need to click something else to find the summary and Remind Me button.

Otherwise though I find the grid pretty easy to read. I still don't see themes on the schedule. I was disappointed these were taken off the old schedule and now I am disappointed I don't see them on the new schedule.

edit: Never mind what I said about the themes. I do see them on the schedule now. That is a positive thing.

edit 2: I also can't find how to see beyond this month's schedule (I liked that I was able to see 2 months in advance). Does anyone know if there is a way to see April and May?

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 9, 2011 4:32 PM

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 9, 2011 4:39 PM

Put the upcoming 3-month printable schedules back, and have them remember the time zone.

The new 'upcoming month' schedule neglects to mention what month and year it's for on the schedule page.

Change for change's sake isn't a step forward. As a web techie, I often referred to tcm.com as a great example of how to do a website. First impressions from the changes I see today, I won't be saying that much any more.

This is just another embarrassing example of someone making a mess of a good web site just to try to justify a job they've been given. Sites like this one were built up and refined over many years, starting as just something that's kind of there to later being something great. Then some dolt comes along and tears it apart because they think they know better than everyone and everything that preceded them. It is truly disgusting and has me seriously concerned that this kind of complete lack of professionalism may soon spread to other parts of TCM such as the channel itself.

My biggest problems right now are given below:

- The formatting is broken on the TCM DB pages so that future air dates and the film title are piled on top of one another. An example is at http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2619/Ten-Thousand-Bedrooms/ . This is seen in Firefox 3.6.15, Opera 11.01, and IE 6. There's no excuse for this kind of ridiculous oversight when launching a new design. Either you have a clue how to do your job or you don't. It looks like being clueless is "in" at TCM.com.

- On TCM DB pages, I have to scroll down to get to basic information and parts of the "Main Links" sidebar that easily fit onto the page under the previous design. Basic unprofessional design practices are being shown off here.

- The month schedule has been downgraded. What happened to the nice labels that said "Short Film" next to short films? How can the schedules for upcoming months be accessed since you broke all of the links to the ones that were online before? Why is the placement of words like "The" and "A" at the start of titles now positioned inconsistently (sometimes before the titles, sometimes after) when they were all the same way before?

More sloppiness, less professionalism. That really seems to be the focus with these changes.

Thanks to anyone at TCM who is listening and understands, and sorry to the TCM fans on the board here for my ranting. Here's hoping somebody does the right thing and the problems identified by myself and others here are taken seriously.

Edit: Found a bonus problem. The "Letterbox" labels are all the opposite of what they should be on the month schedule. Absolutely pathetic. Really, how much of this level of stupidity does it take before somebody gets fired?

Edited by: tcmfan1983 on Mar 9, 2011 5:34 PM

I'm looking at the unidentified March schedule now. So, while just perusing the first week or so, I'll use March 2 as an example of "What's wrong with this picture?"

Movies of the 30s and 40s are apparently letterboxed, but age appropriate ones such as AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS and EAST OF EDEN aren't.

2 Wednesday

6:45 AM

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Cast: James Cagney, Walter Huston, Joan Leslie. Dir: Michael Curtiz.

BW-126 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

9:00 AM

Jezebel (1938)

Cast: Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Fay Bainter. Dir: William Wyler.

BW-104 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

10:50 AM

MARINES IN THE MAKING (1942)

BW-9 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

11:00 AM

All This, and Heaven Too (1940)

Cast: Bette Davis, Charles Boyer, Barbara O'Neil. Dir: Anatole Litvak.

BW-143 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

1:30 PM

Captain Blood (1935)

Cast: Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone. Dir: Michael Curtiz.

BW-119 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

3:45 PM

Kings Row (1942)

Cast: Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan. Dir: Sam Wood.

BW-127 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

5:53 PM

A Boy and His Dog (1946)

Cast: Harry Davenport, Billy Sheffield, Russell Simpson. Dir: LeRoy Prinz.

BW-21 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

6:15 PM

Four Daughters (1938)

Cast: Claude Rains, John Garfield, Priscilla Lane. Dir: Michael Curtiz.

BW-90 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM

East of Eden (1955)

Cast: James Dean, Raymond Massey, Julie Harris. Dir: Elia Kazan.

C-118 mins, TV-PG,

10:00 PM

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Cast: David Niven, Shirley MacLaine, Cantinflas. Dir: Michael Anderson.

C-182 mins, TV-G,

1:07 AM

SWINGTIME IN THE MOVIES (1938)

C-20 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

1:30 AM

Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan, Lord Of The Apes (1984)

Cast: Christopher Lambert, Andie MacDowall, Ralph Richardson. Dir: Hugh Hudson.

BW-137 mins, TV-MA,

4:00 AM

Obsession (1976)

Cast: Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold, John Lithgow. Dir: Brian Da Palma.

C-98 mins, TV-14,

5:41 AM

CALGARY STAMPEDE (1949)

C-18 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

There are some nice features to the new format, but the 3 month schedule needs to come back. Right now you basically have a 2 month schedule. And the big problem, besides getting one less month, is that you have to go through them day by day on the calendar.

Before you could look at the whole month and click on the day you were interested in. You could also look BACK during the month. You can't do that any longer.

MIssGoddess wrote:

"Hi Lynn, I think Cherie is referring to the individual pages dedicated to each film. These used to have a "Remind Me" button as well. If you wanted to look up a film to see if it was coming up, you could search the database for it and when you got to that film's page and it was scheduled, you could set up a reminder from there. As it is, you have to know the movie is scheduled to begin with, to access the reminder...from the schedule. If that makes sense, lol."

Exactly. It used to be much easier to get a reminder by going directly to the movie title page and setting up a reminder. Also, where's the "Suggest a Movie" button?

Edited by: cherie62 on Mar 9, 2011 5:46 PM

I completely agree with tcmfan1983, though he might have put it a little more rudely than I would when it comes to the motivations behind this disaster. I only hope that the TCM management is listening, and doesn't try to duck behind the cliches of "only X number of people have complained, so everyone else must be satisfied."

What this format change completely undermines is one of TCM's great pleasures: The ability to plan ahead.

Having to navigate the upcoming day's schedule one day at a time is no substitute for being able to do so at a glance for three months in advance.

Having to click on 300 different links to find out what 300 different movies are about, instead of having a whole month's worth of plot summaries and casts available on one easily scrollable page, is not what most normal people would consider an "enhancement."

You only have to wonder just who vetted this, and how these elementary points apparently either didn't occur to them, or were dismissed as inconsequential. It's a strange "improvement" that wreaks major damage on the web experience of TCM's most passionate viewers in a questionable effort to attract new fans.

And if it's the younger generation you're trying to get to enjoy our fabulous collection of treasures, I can think of better ways of doing it than stripping away tons of valuable information for the purpose of devoting nearly half the page to counting Leonard Malkin's stars. It's truly bizarre.

I am guessing so far this is unfortunately running 9 to 1 against the new changes. I wonder why TCM did not use more user input into what we would like to see in changes before spending all the money to do this.

Once you have an almost perfect website it is hard to improve on it, I would think they could have tweaked the old website by adding the Maltin reviews and been done with it. Also added tabs to sort by genre on the monthly schedule. This forum seems good but so was the old one so that was a draw.

Not sure what they can do now, it is harder to find the movies I want to watch, that is the big complaint. Overall though I will get used to it, because I have to. I only wish they had added some way to offer suggestions and preview this new website before rolling it over like this and making it permanent.

I find what browser I use makes an enormous difference. Until now, I only saw the new format at my office where we have Internet Explorer 7. It looked pretty unattractive, with the spacing and icon sizing entirely out of line.

But here at home on Safari, Firefox and Opera...I think it looks pretty good! I can now see the famous Jean Harlow wallpaper everyone's been mentioning. It doesn't show on my IE7 browser for some reason.

Not bad. If they bring back the "Remind Me" function on the individual movie pages, and the ability to search for ALL the upcoming films by performer, I won't complain.

Hmm ... can't post pictures

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 9, 2011 6:31 PM

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 9, 2011 6:32 PM

Rich, I just tried it and it worked. However, I used exclamation points instead of the

I tried the ! and it didn't work ... worked in another forum though,

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> You're right.

>

> Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 9, 2011 6:37 PM

Of course I am :)

This happened with the last update and we lost Mongo's thread.

Also, the sidebox with code on how to enlarge, superscript, place images, etc., seems to have vanished.

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 9, 2011 6:39 PM

I don't particularly care for this new format. However I guess we can get used to anything. My question: is "Suggest A Movie" still available? That's an excellent feature and hopefully not discarded.

I hope they fix it. It seems to work in Mongo's current thread. Just not this forum

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 9, 2011 6:40 PM

I was able to post a picture in "Hot Topics" by just copying and pasting the HTML code from Photobucket.

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 9, 2011 6:42 PM

I think the problem is just in this forum. I checked my horror and sci-fi threads way down under and they are still intact.

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 9, 2011 6:46 PM

Edited by: scsu1975 on Mar 9, 2011 6:46 PM

Now that Mr. Connery is making an appearance in every forum, perhaps you would like to answer nytrain's question, which is also appearing in every forum,

I'm afraid Sean constitutes the alpha and omega of my abilities right now. :)

What is the point of the monthly schedule with the Brief Synopsis missing. I usually schedule two weeks out and do not feel inclined to get on line everytime I want to see what the movie is about. ... change is to IMPROVE, not reduce. Guess while I'm at it, who cares what some review groups thinks. I am interested in what folks that are on this site think. The summary rating stars were quite fine ... if I happed to care about the details of the rating they were available. Wonder if this improvement was mgt or users?

Thanks

deg

To Suggest A Movie:

Go down to the bottom of the page and click on "contact us".

Under "Most Popular Topics", click on "How can I request a movie?"

You will see the following message:

"Please use our Suggest A Movie page at www.tcm.com/suggestamovie/index/".

Go to the indicated link.

Voila!

However, I can't seem to get my request to post! If I can figure out how to do it, I will tell how I did it. Or if anyone wants to explain how to do it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by: LittleAbner on Mar 9, 2011 5:49 PM

My initial reactions to the new format are mixed.

The removal of the forums search box is a great loss. I always like to check before starting a new thread that there is not another thread on the same subject. It will now also be almost impossible to find a thing you know you read without remembering exact thread in which it appeared.

Adding the database and site search box is nice. I remember several times having to leave the forum to go to the main page so I could search for a movie.

The new daily schedule is horrible. I need to see at least the actors names if I am to be drawn to a movie I do not know. This format makes me feel as if I must research each and every title rather than simply looking down a list to find a thing I might like. If they insist on hiding what we need to know they should have an expand all button for the page so we do not have to click on the tiny expand button in each and every listing.

I like very much that we can select a genre on the weekly schedule. It is unfortunate we are not able to select more than one so that we can see all our favorite genres on one schedule and see how they correspond.

I regret their decision to include the Maltin review information because that space could be put to much better use. This is apart from that Maltin is a lowest-common-denominator choice and I always feel as if I need a shower after watching him.

Putting wallpaper in that manner is horrible. It is far from ergonomic and all professional websites stopped doing it years ago. It very much gives me a sense of claustrophobia. By itself it is a nice picture but that position distracts the eye and makes it harder to see the important information.

The monthly schedule looks much cleaner but only because they removed important information. You can make anything look nice if it is only to be pretty rather than be useful.

I will have little time for the forum until my work is finished. I hope they will have fixed the worst of their mistakes before then.

Change for change's sake isn't a step forward.

Absolutely. I've seen it so many times in the workplace. And you changed this...WHY?

Other than some snafus I've encounter, the board reminds me of a beauty parlor. A little too feminine for my tastes...

Edited by: JakeHolman on Mar 9, 2011 8:05 PM