Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arnie13

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

It doesn't work at all. The reason I use the TCM website schedule is the convenience of seeing the description at the same time. I would look at every movie, to see if there were stars I like in movies I didn't know about.

Now I have to click to open the description.

I could easily go to the monthly schedule but as of tonight have not found any way to switch it to Pacific Time.

The old schedule was perfect and I vote it changes back.

What happened to the option of looking up a movie in the database and finding out when it's playing next? That's no longer there. Now when you look up a movie in the database you're given a synopses and the price of the movie. That really stinks!

And even if the schedule format doesn't change back, can we at least have it stay in the time zone we choose?

Each time I've navigated away from it tonight, even to come to the forums, when I click on schedule it comes up EST.

Just the other day I was thinking how excellent the TCM schedule pages were, how easy to use, and nicely arranged for optimum information just at a glance...well, that is no longer the case. I have to click on each film to expand to get the description for each film, what a time waster! I would honestly rather scroll than click. This clicking makes it that much more difficult on my ipod to use TCM. I am honestly disgusted.

I prefer to be able to glance at the page and see more than just 3 movies. On the previous format I could read 6 count.

And may I mention, just WHAT is TCM advertising, their FILM'S OR LEONARD MALTIN'S REVIEWS?

This new format looks like something for a preschool child.

About the time zone...I assume I will be missing many films if I have to click on the time zone each time I refresh my page. Not much use in making TCM a priority to watch if I will be missing the first hour of the film since the new format insists on keeping the time zone of EST when I have changed it to CST time.

About the clicking on EXPAND for EACH and every _am_ film.... Have you noticed that each time you refresh your page the "EXPAND" needs to be clicked on again? This causes such busy work for the viewer, and why, just what is the purpose in this activity of making us click to view the film's description?????

This new format is just preposterous!

I could say what were they thinking, when reality seems to be that they weren't thinking at all...

Why not work out the bugs before you throw garbage to the viewers who support your business?

New day's schedule:

Here is a CUTE TRICK TCM HAS PULLED... EXAMPLE: CST time, it is 12:54 AM, and the film, "She's Got Everything" (1938) just started at 12:30 AM. I go to the website and they have changed the day from Wed. March 9th to Thrs, March 10th, and the SCHEDULE BEGINS CST at 7:00 AM, "Smart Woman" (1931). What happened TO THE FILMS BETWEEN THIS ONE AND THE 7:00AM FILM?

CLARIFICATION: AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NEW DAY'S SCHEDULE BEGINS AT 7:00AM AND YOU CANNOT LOAD THE PREVIOUS DAY ANY LONGER! ALL MOVIES AND THE SHORT ARE NOT LISTED ON THE NEW DAY'S SCHEDULE SINCE IT BEGINS AT 7:00AM CST, this is what it is supposed to say AFTER, "Laugh and Get Rich" (1931) FOR CST

10 Thursday

2:00 AM Dancing Co-Ed (1939)

A college girl fights to survive in academia and show business. Cast: Lana Turner, Richard Carlson, Artie Shaw. Dir: S. Sylvan Simon. BW-84 mins, TV-G, CC

3:30 AM Men Are Such Fools (1938)

An ambitious secretary uses the men in her life to turn herself into a radio star. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Priscilla Lane, Wayne Morris. Dir: Busby Berkeley. BW-69 mins, TV-G, CC

4:45 AM Short Film: MGM STORY,THE (1950)

A collection of MGM previews with an introduction by Lionel Barrymore. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Dore Schary BW-57 mins, TV-G

5:45 AM Laugh And Get Rich (1931)

A man drives his family wild with get-rich-quick schemes. Cast: Hugh Herbert, Edna May Oliver, Dorothy Lee. Dir: Gregory La Cava. BW-72 mins, TV-G

Note: The FOUR scheduled items above are from the FULL MONTH SCHEDULE FOR MARCH *BEFORE* THE NEW FORMAT....

AND GET THIS: SCHEDULE... YOU CAN'T *GO BACK* TO Wed.March 9 schedule!!!!!

FOR CLARITY, WHEN THE CLOCK CHANGES AT MIDNIGHT, IF YOU REFRESH YOUR TCM WINDOW YOU WILL LOOSE THE PREVIOUS DAY'S SCHEDULE, THUS NOT BEING ABLE TO GO BACK TO SEE WHAT WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE REST OF THE MORNING HOURS.

AND ALSO NOTE: BECAUSE YOU CANNOT GO BACK ... MEANING YOU CANNOT LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS DAY'S MOVIES FOR ANY REFERENCING!!! ANOTHER CUTE TRICK TCM....

I do hope this will not stay like this!! If it does, then we have to have TWO WINDOWS OPEN for TCM if we are to be able to view all the films until the next morning films are playing.

AGAIN, WHY PUT UP SUCH A *LOUSY, LOUSY* PAGE THAT HAS *SO MANY BUGS IN IT* FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO SUPPORT YOUR BUSINESS???

HELLO TCM....ANYBODY IN THERE....???

> {quote:title=lovetogarden wrote:}{quote}

> What happened to the option of looking up a movie in the database and finding out when it's playing next? That's no longer there. Now when you look up a movie in the database you're given a synopses and the price of the movie. That really stinks!

I've been afraid to click on a movie title because I was afraid I would find the "future air dates" feature taken away. Which means the reminder feature is gone too. I really liked those features.

This is not the first time I have seen developers go crazy in "improving" a web site that actually seem to make it worse. I remember the Encore premium channels used to have a nice text-based schedule that was easy to scroll and browse. They replaced it with some sort of Flash-based interactive schedule with a built-in mini-scroller that was very hard to use, and very slow. Flash is very slow; I hope TCM has not implemented the new schedule in the sluggish Flash!

I say why put in interior scroll bars? Let the browser's scroll bars do the work--they work much more smoothly than Flash. Fortunately TCM has not made this mistake--yet.

I am a former user interface developer and I find that adding lots of interactive features, sliding doo-dads, and whoosh! graphics can sometimes make an interface harder to use. Before Google emerged as the leading web search engine, a fellow developer asked me which search engine I used, and I said Google, and he asked me why. I said, because each time I go to the Google page, there is a clean (as in non-cluttered) web page with the input focus in a simple text box I can type in. Most of the other search engines were loaded up with menus and all kinds of clutter. My friend said he used Google for the same reason, and I am convinced the simple interface is one of the factors that led to Google becoming the leading search engine. Even as Google has added more features, they have kept the menu items for them in inobtrusive locations at the top edge of the page. Sometimes fancier is not better.

Even when I go the the monthly schedule now (Schedule->Month Schedule), it just lists the movie titles, not the synopses. I really miss being able to scan all the movie synopses at a glance! Maybe some of this is just bugs that will be shaken out over the next month.

Is there a place where we can go to vote on features we'd like to see removed or added? It would be nice if there were some way for users to do so in order that the web developers for TCM might determine the weight to give each suggestion in determining whether to implement that suggestion or not...

Robbie

> {quote:title=MOVIEOFDREAMS wrote:}{quote}

> New day's schedule:

>

> Here is a CUTE TRICK TCM HAS PULLED... EXAMPLE: CST time, it is 12:54 AM, and the film, "She's Got Everything" (1938) just started at 12:30 AM. I go to the website and they have changed the day from Wed. March 9th to Thrs, March 10th, and the SCHEDULE BEGINS CST at 7:00 AM, "Smart Woman" (1931). What happened TO THE FILMS BETWEEN THIS ONE AND THE 7:00AM FILM?

>

> CLARIFICATION: AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NEW DAY'S SCHEDULE BEGINS AT 7:00AM AND YOU CANNOT LOAD THE PREVIOUS DAY ANY LONGER! ALL MOVIES AND THE SHORT ARE NOT LISTED ON THE NEW DAY'S SCHEDULE SINCE IT BEGINS AT 7:00AM CST, this is what it is supposed to say AFTER, "Laugh and Get Rich" (1931) FOR CST

>

> 10 Thursday

>

> 2:00 AM Dancing Co-Ed (1939)

> A college girl fights to survive in academia and show business. Cast: Lana Turner, Richard Carlson, Artie Shaw. Dir: S. Sylvan Simon. BW-84 mins, TV-G, CC

>

> 3:30 AM Men Are Such Fools (1938)

> An ambitious secretary uses the men in her life to turn herself into a radio star. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Priscilla Lane, Wayne Morris. Dir: Busby Berkeley. BW-69 mins, TV-G, CC

>

> 4:45 AM Short Film: MGM STORY,THE (1950)

> A collection of MGM previews with an introduction by Lionel Barrymore. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Dore Schary BW-57 mins, TV-G

>

> 5:45 AM Laugh And Get Rich (1931)

> A man drives his family wild with get-rich-quick schemes. Cast: Hugh Herbert, Edna May Oliver, Dorothy Lee. Dir: Gregory La Cava. BW-72 mins, TV-G

>

If this is the schedule you are referring to:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html

when you scroll down to the bottom it has "previous" and "next" day. If you click on "previous", you can see the schedule for March 9th or even further back, so I'm not sure what your difficulty with the schedule is. On March 9th you will find those "missing" films you refer to.

As to your previous post about being on CST and the problems you are having, I am on CST and have never bothered to input that info into the website in all these years. I just subtract an hour from the time listed, as I do with just about any other schedule I might look at online. No biggie.

> {quote:title=voranis wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=lovetogarden wrote:}{quote}

> > What happened to the option of looking up a movie in the database and finding out when it's playing next? That's no longer there. Now when you look up a movie in the database you're given a synopses and the price of the movie. That really stinks!

>

> I've been afraid to click on a movie title because I was afraid I would find the "future air dates" feature taken away. Which means the reminder feature is gone too. I really liked those features.

>

If you search for a movie in the database and click on the title from the results, it will take you to a page where the future airdates are listed.

Example: I typed in "Jezebel", clicked on the title from the results and was directed to this page:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/673/Jezebel/

As you can see, at the top of the page it lists the future airdate of Monday, May 16th @ 3pm.

If you click on a title from the schedule, whether monthly or daily, it will also show you the future airdates of that movie.

Also, under the expanded version of each title you will find the "Reminder" option.

I had clicked on DAILY SCHEDULE at the top, next to the tab, MONTHLY SCHEDULE. The DAILY SCHEDULE TAB comes up with a calendar, the previous day, March 9th is not able to be loaded. Thank you for letting us know that at the VERY BOTTOM of the DAILY SCHEDULE screen, on the left if you click on PREVIOUS DAY, you can in fact see the previous day's schedule...NOT CONVENIENT THOUGH...and convenient is what this is all about my dear.

This is the age of the computer and convenience.

So I shall comment again about the TIME ZONE, for it is IS A BIGGIE, the time zone should STAY when you choose it, there should not be any reason for the user to reclick each time on their own particular time zone.

The idea of taking an hour off the listed EST (for CST users) is ridiculous...excuse me, I refuse to give TCM excuses, and I also refuse to accept the mediocre. There is just no reason for this...we are using computers now.

I would like to add my voice to those complaining about the new website format. It's just awful. There are just so many things wrong with it. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." To those in management who might be reading these posts . . . PLEASE reconsider your actions and return the website to the one we've grown accustomed to and depend on.

I'm on the side of everyone who hates it. It's a useless pain now where before you could scan through a days schedule in a few seconds looking for gems to record and watch once you got home from work. Now you have to have expand each show which is VERY annoying. No way to tell who is in a movie you might not have heard of ....... put it back

Reminder and Suggest a movie

I don't see these options

are they gonzo???

and why do I get this error message ...

*"Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?*

*Your message draft has not been saved.*

*Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page"*

> {quote:title=voranis wrote:}{quote}

> This is not the first time I have seen developers go crazy in "improving" a web site that actually seem to make it worse. (snipped) I am a former user interface developer and I find that adding lots of interactive features, sliding doo-dads, and whoosh! graphics can sometimes make an interface harder to use.

Agree 100%.

I enjoyed the TCM boards because they were simple. Not everyone has a high speed internet connection you know...it's a concession many of us have had to make in the down turned economy. Now the pages take a long time to load, very clunky.

Empty space makes reading much easier....give us our empty space back!

The entire page is so crowded with unimportant information. Do I need to see the date at the top of the page? Or the title MESSAGE BOARDS? I especially hate the size of things; the big yellow & red lollipops, the sidebar of "populars" (who cares?) and the thin brown outline around this box. Smaller, please, smaller.

And since he showed his face on TCM last Monday I can focus on whose to blame....SHAME on you Jeff Stafford, the "improvements" are awful.

I have to agree about the new format. It's making posting very difficult, I can't get into the pm messageing area. Unpleasant to try to read what others have posted, with all the distractions on the page. PLEASE get rid of this new format, a lot of posters will get frustrated and leave the site. Thanks.

Eight pages of complaints in two days, I wonder what TCM will do about it?

May I add that the 'Popular Forums' graphic box obstructs the right side of the first few posts, and they cannot be read.

All sizzle, no steak. Well done, TCM.

To all of you with any complaints and or problems and or issues you are having please read the following message:

*If you want to add a list of problems / issues / complaints go to the following thread and post your thoughts there.*

The following message is from Renee the TCM Web Administrator.

Posted today at 7:56 AM EST on the Technical Issues with the Message Boards Forum under General Issues on the Problem With Posting Thread.

Hi everyone,

Ok, if we keep all the issues to one thread, a list can be made up with all the the technical issues.

So far I have the following:

1. Posting messages - No preview message

2. Schedule - Font too small, cannot print, cannot access PDF file

3. Cannot post pictures

4. Report Abuse button missing

5. Remind Me button missing in TCM database when searching for a film

If I'm missing a technical issue, please continue posting it here. I will keep this going and send a report before the weekend. This will give members til tomorrow to help me find the issues.

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this.

-Renee

Edited by: fxreyman on Mar 10, 2011 8:39 AM

I was already annoyed when I could no longer link to the homepage and see what was playing right now and for the next several hours without scrolling down, because the spot where that had been for years was replaced with advertising space for something TCM was trying to sell me.

Now, they're not going to show what's playing now ANYWHERE on the homepage? The entire homepage is going to be devoted to trying to sell me stuff? I realize we live in a capitalist country, and TCM, like everyone and everything else in America, exists only to make a profit, but this change seems rather shamelessly greedy and self-promoting to me. The main difference, as far as I can see, is it is now more difficult for me to find useful information because I have to wade through more advertising. It's disappointing TCM has chosen to be less helpful to their fans in favor of, forgive the term, **** their product more. I really thought they were above such classlessness, but much to my disappointment, they showed me today they are not.

Stephen

Where are the links to view and print the next months schedules???

This is a huge problem.

Totally agree with your "1st of the month was like Christmas morning" so you could check the new (3 months ahead) TCM schedule, download and print and choose which movies you

wanted to tape or make sure you didn't miss!!! They had better restore this feature or

thousands upon thousands of viewers will be livid. We don't want to buy your guide.

We like printing our own!!!

fxreyman, thank you for alerting us as to where we can submit our concerns where they will be read by TCM admin.

I read Renee's message, and it's helpful -or at least responsive - as far as it goes. I notice that it does not address any complaints about the new format that are not technical. I dislike the graphics and the overall look of both the schedule page and the main forums page. I still think it all looks crowded, "busy", cluttered, whatever word you want to use. And it really does seem like making change for the sake of making change; in what way is it an improvement over what was here before?

As to your uneasiness regarding all the new posters, or at least people who may have registered some time ago but have very few if any posts up until yesterday: as I believe both kyle and lz pointed out, a person could be an active user of the TCM website and yet never participate on these boards.

Many, as can be seen from the primary concern about these changes, go to the TCM website to check the schedule. For these people, the schedule and its various functions appears to be their main lament. And that is perfectly legitimate; just because they don't post on these forums does not mean they're not engaged in some way with Turner Classic Movies, either the station or the website.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious and also commenting on something that others have already stated here. But, as you know if you've any of my posts on the subject of TCM, I love and support TCM and rarely if ever have a gripe about it, its programming , movie selections, or anything else.

But to effect such a major change without any warning or indication that it was coming - hell, they could have solicited members' suggestions on what changes they'd like to see, gotten some feedback about this - does seem like a bit of an affront to its loyal fans, whether they be posters on these boards or people who regularly check the schedule, or whatever.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 10, 2011 11:30 AM

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 10, 2011 11:31 AM

Thanks, lydecker, but at the same time I should state that I'm a subscriber to the Now Playing guide, and find it a very helpful reference to keep by the TV.

OTOH the ability we had with the old monthly schedules to create our own personalized schedules was probably the most important feature of the website to many of us. If these monthly schedules can be restored in their old format, with plot summaries and casts on one page, that would address 99% of the concerns I have about yesterday's disaster. That would enable us to plan ahead without having to click on hundreds of different links a month, a requirement which for the life of me I can't see the point of.

Arnie, I'll tell you for damn sure you aren't alone! This exercise in stupid meddling--the new schedule--STINKS! Casts & running times, which were formerly available at a glance, must now be retrieved by the tedious chore of jumping back & forth between the schedule & individual movie listings. Someone was PAID to dream this up??? And who, with any knowledge of film history, or independant judgement, needs Maltin's opinions? Anyone seeking reviews can find them by the car-load with a few mouse clicks.

> {quote:title=SilentIsGolden wrote:}{quote}

> Arnie, I'll tell you for damn sure you aren't alone! This exercise in stupid meddling--the new schedule--STINKS! Casts & running times, which were formerly available at a glance, must now be retrieved by the tedious chore of jumping back & forth between the schedule & individual movie listings. Someone was PAID to dream this up??? And who, with any knowledge of film history, or independant judgement, needs Maltin's opinions? Anyone seeking reviews can find them by the car-load with a few mouse clicks.

I found this information on the website:

http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html

Click on ?Contact Us?

Then click on ?select one? and select one of the subjects. I suggest ?General comments?

TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

You can also leave TCM a message via phone at 404-885-5535.