Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Format for Daily Schedule and Home Page etc.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

>If these monthly schedules can be restored in their old format, with plot summaries and casts on one page, that would address 99% of the concerns I have about yesterday's disaster. That would enable us to plan ahead without having to click on hundreds of different links a month, a requirement which for the life of me I can't see the point of.

>

That would be a good idea if they could make it possible to access the schedule the way it used to look, for those of us who'd still prefer it that way. The IMDb changed their look not long ago, to the dissatisfaction of everyone I know, but they did retain the option of clicking onto the old format. Maybe TCM could do that, too.

MY VOTE IS TO RESTORE THE PREVIOUS PAGE FOR THE DAILY/MONTHLY SCHEDULE, for this new format is more than ridiculous because IT IS NOT CONVENIENT!

Having to slide across the page and click on EACH movie just to get the description for the film is incredibly time consuming! (TRY VIEWING THIS ON AN iPod!!

And this Leonard Maltin gauge means nothing to me! I don't NEED his opinion of the films!!!

TCM, listen to this, I can TRUST you well enough for showing a film, and then I PREFER TO *TRUST MYSELF AFTER I READ THE DESCRIPTION* -- I don't want Maltin's measure stick TO BE WEIGHTED ABOVE THE FILM'S ACTUAL DESCRIPTION THUS CAUSING ME NOT TO MAKE MY OWN DECISION IF I WANT TO VIEW A FILM!!

I realize there are glitches, but this offering honestly scares me, and why do I say this?

Because of the INCREASED TIME INVOLVED IN USING THE NEW FORMAT & THE DISORGANIZATION OF THE NECESSARY INFORMATION (THAT IS, WHAT IS LEFT OF NECESSARY INFORMATION)

I NEED TIME TO BE ON MY SIDE AND THIS NEW FORMAT IS TAKING ME IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!

To Lydecker, As it happens, I have, since Now Playing was offered, I have subscribed, and I buy a copy for EACH tv in my house (which was and still IS a difficult task for the office staff to get me 2 copies....don't ask me WHY....all I can say is !UGH! to that ordeal....nevertheless); To lydecker, may I ask you, what in the WORLD does having a Now Playing Guide in hand have to do with this computer guide????? REALLY!!!! I am TOTALLY in disgust of your suggestion and how much it has nothing to do with the issue at hand!!

Daily for over a decade I have referenced the daily schedule. TCM is my home page. I reference the schedule to organize which films I want to view and schedule. NOTE TO TCM: I HAPPEN TO SCHEDULE MY FILMS ACCORDING TO WHO IS IN THE FILM, SO I MUST BE ABLE TO READ THE DESCRIPTION WITH THE LIST OF ACTORS!! I SURELY do NOT want to have to move across the screen and click on each & every *am* film to get the description!!

Hey, TCM, FOX MOVIE CHANNEL HAS A LOUSY WEBSITE FOR THEIR FILMS! ARE YOU TRYING TO GET TO THEIR LEVEL? But even they understand the film's description with a list of actor's is the most important information after the film title, date, and length of run time.

TCM, did you PAY THIS COMPUTER COMPANY TO SCREW YOU OVER??? BECAUSE YOU SURELY GOT THE SCREW!!

Thanks for going BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF *COMPUTER MAGIC*!! I love nostalgic stuff too, but in its right place.

TCM, you now have a totally DIFFICULT AND BASICALLY USELESS SCHEDULE PAGE!!!!!

ALL the GREAT FEATURES are EITHER GONE OR DIFFICULT TO USE!! Do you call this progress????

Honestly I cannot believe it you allowed this new DISorganization format.

The underlying problem seems to have been that the IT people making the new upgrade did not understand the needs and wants of the community that uses these boards. For instance, we need to have the times available in our time zone, as ArizonaBlue pointed out. Previously, this was automatically set. If you clicked that you wanted Pacific time, the default was then automatically Pacific time.

What many of us did with the schedule was print out the month's listings and either keep it near the television or carry it around with us every day. This means that an extra space between listings is not a good idea, in addition to wasting paper. The logline sentence describing each film was a big help for less familiar films.

These issues had not been set up randomly in the previous configuration, but because the format decisions supported the needs of the users.

Here is the latest from TCM WebAdmin posted earlier this morning:

Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

-We'llll explore an expand all option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks.

So, give them time. As I said in an earlier post, the last big graphical upgrade to the entire website was over five years ago. You try to plan for problems when upgrading but it isn't possible to plan for all.

Given the problems with "Suggest a Movie" and the amount of spam and attacking of others that goes on there, perhaps a better way of "Suggesting a Movie' is coming.

Sounds like they have heard the your pleas about the Schedule.

And sounds like they have heard the problems people are having with the message boards.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Here is the latest from TCM WebAdmin posted earlier this morning:

>

> Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

>

> -3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)

That's great to know about the 3-month schedule. I hope they can get the format back to what it was before. My daily visit to TCM is usually the monthly schedule, and the way it is now with the huge font and missing synopsis is not the greatest. I can visit the daily schedule and do the expand thang, but it's nice to be able to see a whole day, week, month, etc., at one go.

I agree. The one-line synopsis of the movie helped in selecting which movies I wanted to watch. I record movies during the hours that I am either sleeping or working so I can watch them later. Just the title doesn't help me at all. Put it back the way it was!

These issues were addressed a long, long time ago and fine-tuned to perfection to serve members' needs. I can see no reason whatsoever why we should have to start all over again again after this needless train wreck caused by those who have no idea what this website is all about.

What a *MONUMENTAL* blunder! A lesson in "How to lose customers and alienate people". Alternatively, how *NOT* to market your product. Hype it up on the one hand and then tear it down with the other hand.

A head count is in order. When do we all get to vote on this new format?

> {quote:title=arnie13 wrote:}{quote}

> I am disappointed in the new format. I do not like the Leonard Maltin reviews. Is TCM trying to discourage me from watching movies that he does not like? I don't think the home page needs video links. I also feel that having to go to a second page for the synopsis is a bit of a pain and is too time consuming. All in all I guess I liked the old format. Am I alone in this opinion?

>

> Edited by: arnie13 on Mar 9, 2011 10:39 AM

I looked up a movie called "Mr. Belvedere Goes To College" that TCM showed a few months ago. It starred Clifton Webb. I didn't record it then because Leonard Maltin's guide gave it only two stars and said it was "Nothing special". It's an adorable movie and I regretted that I didn't record it. I'm not going to pay attention to his reviews anymore! I hope TCM will show it again so I can record it next time.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned. I do not feel like going through all the pages of this thread to find out but I just realized on the "Remind Me Feature" you can now only remind yourself for one date a movie is on.

I usually checked multiple dates & times a movie was coming on because sometimes for whatever reason I might miss the first time and it is good to be reminded the movie is coming on again (it also helps if I really enjoyed the movie and want to record it the 2nd time).

However this new format uses radio buttons so you can only check off one date at a time. I miss the old format which used check buttons where you could check off multiple dates you want to be reminded a movie is playing. This new format just creates extra unnecessary steps.

edit: Unless I am mistaken I also noticed there is no link to remind yourself about a movie that is playing on the movie's actual database page.

Edited by: Kinokima on Mar 10, 2011 8:43 PM

I can understand why TCM wants this new format, where they can plug in merchandising ads related to individual movies.

However, I much prefer the old month-long pdf format, which listed all movies along with descriptions. Reading the descriptions was fast, because they were there already. Now, each movie must be individually clicked on to expand to show a description. The response time is slow for each click. In the pdf format I'd read/glance at each description, and sometimes find something of interest in movie titles I otherwise might not have given a chance. Now, with this new format which makes merely obtaining the descriptions a time-consuming pain, I will not bother requesting info on most movies -- which means I will not discover something of interest in titles I hadn't expected to -- which further means, that I'll end up watching TCM less.

I counted on the monthly pdfs, to review a month in advance, and make note of which movies to try out/watch. Now, instead, TCM's new website design, makes it too time-consuming for viewers like me to determine what is going to be on TCM, and watch it.

Edited by: MidgetEyeball2 on Mar 10, 2011 11:07 PM

Because it bears repeating:

Here is the latest from TCM WebAdmin posted earlier this morning in the Tech Forum:

Here is what I have so far from the technical team:

-Suggest a Movie is coming back, we are working on it

*-3 Month schedule is coming back, we are working on it (currently it is 2 months)*

-We'll explore an expand all option for the Schedule

-We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks.

I was speaking, though, of the (now) old pdf format. I do not see this format available, anywhere on the website anymore. You say that two months are provided, but, to get a movie description beyond merely who stars in it, we now must click on each movie, individually, which is extremely time consuming.

The old, simple, monthly pdf, had all that information for an entire month, no clicking to do beyond the initial request for that month's pdf.

If the old pdfs ARE still available, please let me know where on the website to find them. I am not seeing it. (I did find a highly buried spot which portended to provide a pdf for the CURRENT month, but clicking on that merely brings up a message that the webpage is missing/address nonexistant).

Edited by: MidgetEyeball2 on Mar 10, 2011 11:28 PM

Edited by: MidgetEyeball2 on Mar 10, 2011 11:30 PM

>

> -We are still working on some design of the Message Boards, so these will be improved over the next few weeks.

The regular old board was fine. We had not had any technical trouble with it in more than a year. Now they go and change it and we have nothing but problems.

GO BACK TO THE OLD SYSTEM AND FORGET THIS NEW ONE. DO NOT CHANGE SOMETHING THAT IS ALREADY FINE AND NOT BROKEN.

At first glance, I disliked the new "full daily schedule" format. Then I found that you have to click on the "expand" in the right column ("review") to see cast, plot summary, and Leonard Maltin review. Plus you can still preview three months in advance (and review the day before, as with the old format.)

I HATE THE NEW FORMAT WITH A PASSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS MY FIRST POST, DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL MAKE IT BUT I'M INCENSED!!!!

WHY DID THEY TAKE AWAY THE THREE MONTH SCHEDULE??????????????? THAT'S THE WORST PART OF THE WHOLE IDIOTIC CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

IT APPEARS TO ME TCM IS TRYING TO PUSH DVDS MORE THAN EVER, SCREWING UP THEIR WEBSITE TO INCREASE SALES. IT AIN'T GONNA WORK WITH ME. TCM WILL NOT GET A DIME FROM ME.

WHOEVER THE IDIOT IS WHO DECIDED TO SCREW UP A GOOD SITE SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

YEP, I'M HOLLERING IN CAPS.

I agree. I don't care what Leonard Maltin says. I'm insulted that his reviews are such a huge part of the new idiotic format that TCM has come up with. I have my own opinions & my own brain & discovered long ago that I often do not agree with the highly paid movie reviewers.

Get rid of Leonard, bring back the user friendly format. Fire the idiot(s) responsible for screwing up a good thing.

Testing testing here....

Ouch my eyes hurt!

Some of my two cents -

Almost a third of the page I am looking at is taken up by a column of "Popular Forums/Discussions" - then a big blank all the way down the page under it. Lots of wasted space.

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the daily schedule.

Leonard Maltin panned *Ten Cents a Dance* as "a slow moving dreary drama". I don't care nor care to see what he thinks about the movie.IIf TCM is playing it, it's because it is part of film history, at least. If I don't like it, I will turn it off.

Casts and outline are enough for me, thank you. The colors and type are alarming on the daily schedule page.

Now, as it looks like I cannot preview this posting (as I always have in the past), I will press "Post Message" and see what happens.

PS - At my work, they are talking about outsourcing/contracting out our website - after this, I am really scared - especially since I am the person who answers the phone there. Yikes!

PSS - What is that at the top left hand corner? It used to be an image of a "young starlet type" -

now it looks like a blob!

OK....Ignore my rant down there...just found the little(and I DO mean little) bar WAY at the bottom of the daily schedule that says "Previous Day" or something like that. But I STILL hate the new format, btw.

"My biggest gripe(so far) is that once it hits Midnight, you can't even go to the previous day's schedule to see what's on from Midnight to the following morning's schedule which starts at 5 or 6am. Here I sit, it's 12:30am & unable to find out what's on the rest of the night now. The little calendar won't let you go back ONE DAY even! gggrrr Hope that wasn't too confusing.... lol"

Edited by: soozin on Mar 11, 2011 1:34 AM

*My biggest gripe(so far) is that once it hits Midnight, you can't even go to the previous day's schedule to see what's on from Midnight to the following morning's schedule which starts at 5 or 6am.*

Soozin,

Yes, you can go back to the previous day(s). Click on the day/month and choose March 10th:.

It will take you to the schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-03-10

It is set at the default for EST so you may have to set it for your time zone.

(You can also access Wednesday's (march 9th) schedule as well.

I made my first post here today but have been a devoted TCM enthusiast for years. I used to spend way too much time on message boards so I haven't gotten involved over here even though I've wanted to in the past. But today I've been so angry & insulted by the site changes that I finally came over here to see if anyone else hates the new format as much as I do. I've found others who feel the way I do & have the exact same complaints I have.

Who knows if TCM will make the changes that so many here want? I'm not gonna hold my breath. Some idiot in IT at TCM has a lot riding on all these changes, I'm guessing they want to sell a lot more DVD & other stuff from all these changes.

They certainly don't give a tinker's darn what loyal users of their site want, that's clear.

THE ONLY WAY TO GET THROUGH TO ANYONE WHO HAS THE POWER TO MAKE THE DECISION TO GO BACK TO THE OLD FORMAT OR MAKE THE CHANGES WE WANT IS TO HIT THEM IN THE POCKETBOOK.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET THEM KNOW YOU WON'T EVER SPEND ANOTHER PENNY WITH THEM. TELL THEM EVERY DAY AS MANY TIMES AS YOU CAN. THEN FOLLOW THROUGH. DON'T SPEND A DIME WITH TCM UNTIL THEY GET THE MESSAGE & MAKE CHANGES TO THE SITE.

*They certainly don't give a tinker's darn what loyal users of their site want, that's clear.*

Spunky,

You may not be aware but they certainly seem to as they are making changes (minor and major) to the upgrade every few hours.

They are also working on a number of complaints/suggestions that posters have posted here and in the Tech Forum.

They are working (as we speak) on a returning "Suggest a Movie".

They are working (as we speak) on returning the 3-month schedule.

As well as others. Check out the Tech Forum and read the posts from TCMWebAdmin (the moderators).

In the meantime, any chance you could stop yelling at all of us?